Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tell me random facts
1 2 3
The Energizer Bunny came about because of a Duracell commercial.

Superman's weakness to kryptonite first appeared not in the comics, but a radio show.

The creators of the original Captain Marvel, now known as Shazam, were sued by DC Comics because the character was too similar to Superman. Which they didn't seem to mind as much when the publishers went out of business and sold the rights to them.

Since it was 20 years between the time of the lawsuit and DC getting the rights to the characters, the rights to the name Captain Marvel had gone out and so Marvel Comics was able to use the name for their own version. When DC started up their own comic line of the original character, they could call him Captain Marvel, but couldn't use the name in the title. This stayed the same up to 2011.

The director of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" would use life-sized rubber models of the characters during rehearsals so the actors would know where to look. They used a human actress for Jessica.

The ruby slippers in the Wizard of Oz movie were actually silver in the book. They used ruby for the movie because it was more colorful and shiny than silver.

The first draft of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" had over a dozen kids going into the factory. The editors told Roald Dahl to cut the number down.

Roald Dahl also wrote the screenplay to the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice."
The Energizer Bunny came about because of a Duracell commercial.

Superman's weakness to kryptonite first appeared not in the comics, but a radio show.

The creators of the original Captain Marvel, now known as Shazam, were sued by DC Comics because the character was too similar to Superman. Which they didn't seem to mind as much when the publishers went out of business and sold the rights to them.

Since it was 20 years between the time of the lawsuit and DC getting the rights to the characters, the rights to the name Captain Marvel had gone out and so Marvel Comics was able to use the name for their own version. When DC started up their own comic line of the original character, they could call him Captain Marvel, but couldn't use the name in the title. This stayed the same up to 2011.

The director of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" would use life-sized rubber models of the characters during rehearsals so the actors would know where to look. They used a human actress for Jessica.

The ruby slippers in the Wizard of Oz movie were actually silver in the book. They used ruby for the movie because it was more colorful and shiny than silver.

The first draft of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" had over a dozen kids going into the factory. The editors told Roald Dahl to cut the number down.

Roald Dahl also wrote the screenplay to the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice."
lAH9HaN.pngN6Ssoyw.png
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2897429/7#post_44529631
The 'backwards' toe of birds that have a three-toes-forward, one-toe-back foot is called the hallux. Osprey can move their front facing toes backwards to create a zygodactyl (two-forward, two-back) 'style' of foot.
In John Carpenter's The Thing, there is a scene where a dog-thing walks into a room with a human (presumably another thing, or about to be another thing) who is silhouetted on the wall, who then turns and faces the dog before a fade to black. For this scene, none of the actors for any of the characters were used- a random crew member was used so that the identity of the person could not be deduced using their shadow.
Parrots are the only kind of bird that can extensively move their upper beak as well as lower. They have a special hinge in their skulls for this, the name of which I don't remember :(
Diurnal birds of prey have a supraorbital ridge above both their eyes that serves as a pair of shades, keeping out the sun as they fly. Nocturnal birds lack this, which is a fairly decent way to tell what bird of prey is diurnal and which is not.
The 'backwards' toe of birds that have a three-toes-forward, one-toe-back foot is called the hallux. Osprey can move their front facing toes backwards to create a zygodactyl (two-forward, two-back) 'style' of foot.
In John Carpenter's The Thing, there is a scene where a dog-thing walks into a room with a human (presumably another thing, or about to be another thing) who is silhouetted on the wall, who then turns and faces the dog before a fade to black. For this scene, none of the actors for any of the characters were used- a random crew member was used so that the identity of the person could not be deduced using their shadow.
Parrots are the only kind of bird that can extensively move their upper beak as well as lower. They have a special hinge in their skulls for this, the name of which I don't remember :(
Diurnal birds of prey have a supraorbital ridge above both their eyes that serves as a pair of shades, keeping out the sun as they fly. Nocturnal birds lack this, which is a fairly decent way to tell what bird of prey is diurnal and which is not.
hkazXyz.png
- he/him
- 25 y/o
- bird nerd
- pings + random frq ok!
52qPuy7.png
There are a lot of really interesting facts here!! to add my own!

-Ants kill more people every year than sharks, bears, and wolves combined.
-Saturn weighs so little (proportional to its size) that if you had a bathtub big enough to fit it, it would float.
-There is an island in the pacific ocean made out of floating trash that is twice the size of Texas (three times the size of France).
-Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and Brussels sprouts are technically all the same plant species (Brassica oleracea).
-The egg came millions of years before the chicken
There are a lot of really interesting facts here!! to add my own!

-Ants kill more people every year than sharks, bears, and wolves combined.
-Saturn weighs so little (proportional to its size) that if you had a bathtub big enough to fit it, it would float.
-There is an island in the pacific ocean made out of floating trash that is twice the size of Texas (three times the size of France).
-Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and Brussels sprouts are technically all the same plant species (Brassica oleracea).
-The egg came millions of years before the chicken
XABZwLO.gif
The contents of this message have been removed. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Flight Rising Support.
The contents of this message have been removed. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Flight Rising Support.
the facts i know (and remember) feel like facts everyone knows to me, but nonetheless
  • When bees sense an intruder in their hive (say, a murder hornet), what they'll do is form a ball around them and vibrate their wings rapidly (i think). this generates heat and essentially cooks the intruder to death
  • The chinese money plant or the friendship plant gets it's name from the fact it's so easy to propagate. the story goes that after a man's trip to china, he gave out cuttings of the plant to his friends and family (this is a really watered down explanation)
  • This one is more theory than fact, but some scientists theorize that the reason sinks ship in the bermuda triangle is because of the (increased?) presence of methane gas in the water. the gas causes the water to become less dense, which makes the ships more dense in comparison, causing them to sink.
  • The reason why plants rot when you overwater them is because it causes a lack of oxygen in the soil. when there's no oxygen, it causes things to go anaerobic (which if I remember correctly produces far less energy as opposed to when there's oxygen). the best analogy I have for this is to think of overwatering as restricting your breathing. Let ur green buddies breathe. (all of this is also why worms are good for soil, as their tunnels aerate the dirt)
the facts i know (and remember) feel like facts everyone knows to me, but nonetheless
  • When bees sense an intruder in their hive (say, a murder hornet), what they'll do is form a ball around them and vibrate their wings rapidly (i think). this generates heat and essentially cooks the intruder to death
  • The chinese money plant or the friendship plant gets it's name from the fact it's so easy to propagate. the story goes that after a man's trip to china, he gave out cuttings of the plant to his friends and family (this is a really watered down explanation)
  • This one is more theory than fact, but some scientists theorize that the reason sinks ship in the bermuda triangle is because of the (increased?) presence of methane gas in the water. the gas causes the water to become less dense, which makes the ships more dense in comparison, causing them to sink.
  • The reason why plants rot when you overwater them is because it causes a lack of oxygen in the soil. when there's no oxygen, it causes things to go anaerobic (which if I remember correctly produces far less energy as opposed to when there's oxygen). the best analogy I have for this is to think of overwatering as restricting your breathing. Let ur green buddies breathe. (all of this is also why worms are good for soil, as their tunnels aerate the dirt)
XR2L6R5.png
hzM3Sr2.pngWAWs3m5.png

2PD5mX1.png I've never hoarded items before but I've made it my goal to see just how much salt I can accumulate. Send me those sweet salt stacks, you wont regret it. (4968 piles of salt)
scGIGIO.png
>Chickens make “egg songs” whenever they lay an egg

nice way to say "yell because it bloody hurts", lol.
>Chickens make “egg songs” whenever they lay an egg

nice way to say "yell because it bloody hurts", lol.
your blood can be used as a egg substitute 65g for every egg you need

the skin on your but is the same type of skin that's on your lips

until 1985 its was legal to buy human sculls

your blood can be used as a egg substitute 65g for every egg you need

the skin on your but is the same type of skin that's on your lips

until 1985 its was legal to buy human sculls

Threads like this make me terribly nitpicky... [quote name="Negative" date="2020-05-19 12:33:41" ] - the moon is so far from the earth, you could fit all the planets in the solar system in the distance between the two of them [/quote] If I did the math correctly, it depends: when the distance is at the longest, they would fit but not at the mean distance. [quote name="BreezingWinds" date="2020-05-20 09:35:29" ] -Humans have a very extremely small outward glow called bioluminescence due to luciferase. [/quote] I don't think any vertebrates produce luciferin and luciferase (some deep sea fish have symbiotic bacteria which do, though) but if you have a reliable source, I'd definitely like to take a look. And, some facts: The article "ye" which is occasionally used to give an old-timey feel to text was originally a typo. Instead of Y there should be a letter called thorn which looks like p and b placed on top of each other but German typographers were not aware of this and picked what looked roughly alike. At least some flying squirrels fluoresce pink.
Threads like this make me terribly nitpicky...
Negative wrote on 2020-05-19 12:33:41:
- the moon is so far from the earth, you could fit all the planets in the solar system in the distance between the two of them

If I did the math correctly, it depends: when the distance is at the longest, they would fit but not at the mean distance.
BreezingWinds wrote on 2020-05-20 09:35:29:
-Humans have a very extremely small outward glow called bioluminescence due to luciferase.

I don't think any vertebrates produce luciferin and luciferase (some deep sea fish have symbiotic bacteria which do, though) but if you have a reliable source, I'd definitely like to take a look.

And, some facts:

The article "ye" which is occasionally used to give an old-timey feel to text was originally a typo. Instead of Y there should be a letter called thorn which looks like p and b placed on top of each other but German typographers were not aware of this and picked what looked roughly alike.

At least some flying squirrels fluoresce pink.
Ooh, I'm green from unicellular algae-- oh wait, is it actually of envy?
o2J2pf7.png
In ancient Egypt, most pet cats were just called "miu" or "miut" meaning "he/she who mews". Records show that there was a cat that lived around the time of Thutmose III who was named "Nedjem", meaning "sweetie".

In Novgorod, Russia, 700-year-old kiddie drawings were found on small pieces of birch bark. The works were done by a 7-year-old boy named Onfim and includes scenes of battle, Onfim's family, and Onfim's letter-writing practice on which has been drawn a picture of a monster labeled "I am a wild beast" and "Greetings to Denilo from Onfim".

http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim.html

You can find them all here.
In ancient Egypt, most pet cats were just called "miu" or "miut" meaning "he/she who mews". Records show that there was a cat that lived around the time of Thutmose III who was named "Nedjem", meaning "sweetie".

In Novgorod, Russia, 700-year-old kiddie drawings were found on small pieces of birch bark. The works were done by a 7-year-old boy named Onfim and includes scenes of battle, Onfim's family, and Onfim's letter-writing practice on which has been drawn a picture of a monster labeled "I am a wild beast" and "Greetings to Denilo from Onfim".

http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim.html

You can find them all here.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
The character 7 from Shane Acker’s 9 is white because her fabric/skin bleached in the sun.

Leopard geckoes are one of the few geckoes that lack toe pads, have eyelids, and can vocalize.

Corgis have a dark side under that cute exterior. They have huge prey drives and tend to get aggressive.

Hyenas moo when they are happy.

Rottweilers and dobermans make the list for the top smartest dogs in the world despite their aggressive reputations.

The original 9 short by Shane Acker was originally going to be stop motion.
The character 7 from Shane Acker’s 9 is white because her fabric/skin bleached in the sun.

Leopard geckoes are one of the few geckoes that lack toe pads, have eyelids, and can vocalize.

Corgis have a dark side under that cute exterior. They have huge prey drives and tend to get aggressive.

Hyenas moo when they are happy.

Rottweilers and dobermans make the list for the top smartest dogs in the world despite their aggressive reputations.

The original 9 short by Shane Acker was originally going to be stop motion.
1 2 3