Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What are your phobias?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
naviphobia, the fear of being on a boat --
i have an irrational fear of capsizing. they terrify me to my core and to be on one that moves quickly, i have to hold onto a handle tightly with my eyes closed, even then the fear is still overwhelming. i will never go on a cruise ship. pontoon boats are the only ones that are tolerable to me.
naviphobia, the fear of being on a boat --
i have an irrational fear of capsizing. they terrify me to my core and to be on one that moves quickly, i have to hold onto a handle tightly with my eyes closed, even then the fear is still overwhelming. i will never go on a cruise ship. pontoon boats are the only ones that are tolerable to me.
yzUX307.png
NEEDLES. I can't get shots without crying, lots of squirming and occasional vice-gripping and/or biting, and scenes in movies, books, shows, etc. in which a character is receiving an injection or being stabbed with needles freak me right the heck out. Oddly enough, I'm not fazed by knives, spears or other, larger stabby things-- it's only surgical or sewing needles that get me freaked out.
Minor edit: I can hold and use a sewing needle, as well as watch someone sew as long as the focus isn't on the needle, but I broke down sobbing at one point when watching a documentary about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, at a point when it described a worker getting her hand trapped under the sewing machine thingy.
NEEDLES. I can't get shots without crying, lots of squirming and occasional vice-gripping and/or biting, and scenes in movies, books, shows, etc. in which a character is receiving an injection or being stabbed with needles freak me right the heck out. Oddly enough, I'm not fazed by knives, spears or other, larger stabby things-- it's only surgical or sewing needles that get me freaked out.
Minor edit: I can hold and use a sewing needle, as well as watch someone sew as long as the focus isn't on the needle, but I broke down sobbing at one point when watching a documentary about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, at a point when it described a worker getting her hand trapped under the sewing machine thingy.
Gr15mqs.png
I6Ay4yi.gifwLQRY4q.gif
[quote name="Okamihowl" date="2020-04-06 10:50:43" ] NEEDLES. I can't get shots without crying, lots of squirming and occasional vice-gripping and/or biting [/quote] @Okamihowl One of mine as well. I get teased about it because I'm a cancer survivor and told I should be used to it. Nope, it always has and always will make me more uncomfortable than even the thought of some of the procedures I've had. My best friend and girlfriend both bribe me so I'll sit still when I need my routine blood work done or when I have to get a shot. Nothing super fancy or anything, but stopping at one of the nicer restaurants on the way home (not fancy, but better than cheap fast food) or getting a cheap toy or a book I've wanted, stuff like that. I'm not proud of it, but it works enough to keep me from trying to fight it.
Okamihowl wrote on 2020-04-06 10:50:43:
NEEDLES. I can't get shots without crying, lots of squirming and occasional vice-gripping and/or biting

@Okamihowl

One of mine as well.

I get teased about it because I'm a cancer survivor and told I should be used to it. Nope, it always has and always will make me more uncomfortable than even the thought of some of the procedures I've had.

My best friend and girlfriend both bribe me so I'll sit still when I need my routine blood work done or when I have to get a shot. Nothing super fancy or anything, but stopping at one of the nicer restaurants on the way home (not fancy, but better than cheap fast food) or getting a cheap toy or a book I've wanted, stuff like that. I'm not proud of it, but it works enough to keep me from trying to fight it.
Formerly known as Brenning.
Thalassophobia. I hate the ocean so much. From the surface, it's pretty. I can tolerate videos of it where you can see the surface. But drop offs? Murky water? Nope.

Sudden, loud noises.

Any bugs.

Spiders.

It's hard to describe but dark skies. It doesn't always affect me, but when it does, it causes panic attacks. It gets a lot worse/happens a lot more often when it's cold outside, so walking on campus at night in the winter has been rough.
Thalassophobia. I hate the ocean so much. From the surface, it's pretty. I can tolerate videos of it where you can see the surface. But drop offs? Murky water? Nope.

Sudden, loud noises.

Any bugs.

Spiders.

It's hard to describe but dark skies. It doesn't always affect me, but when it does, it causes panic attacks. It gets a lot worse/happens a lot more often when it's cold outside, so walking on campus at night in the winter has been rough.
7699.png Vault cleanout/sales thread
[quote name="RheoTastic" date="2020-04-05 21:05:42" ] arachnophobia there are many anecdotes but, here's my viewpoint: it's a common phobia for a reason humans instinctively fear spiders [b]because they're out to kill us[/b] man thats why we fear snakes too but I'm not scared of them for whatever reason [/quote] As a bug lover, I would like to inform you that this is untrue. Spiders are almost always harmless, and even the harmful ones are almost never aggressive, only biting when they feel threatened. We probably fear them because they feel wrong, they match none of our notions of 'normal thing', and something with such abnormalities is usually dangerous or infected with something. Too many eyes, too many legs, and they invade our shelters. You get a similar effect with mayflies (their proportions look strange and alien), snakes (they move in a way that makes no sense to our subconscious mind), and deep sea creatures. I find spiders scary aesthetically as well, but they aren't out to get you. As for my fears, Fear of putting my hair up (it feels like something is clinging to my head and I just want to [I]rip the thing off[/i] Fear of drowning Fear of ants (again, not out to get you, but I nearly died from ant bites) Fear of parasites Edit: Also surgery/being in any way 'open'
RheoTastic wrote on 2020-04-05 21:05:42:
arachnophobia there are many anecdotes but, here's my viewpoint: it's a common phobia for a reason humans instinctively fear spiders because they're out to kill us man thats why we fear snakes too but I'm not scared of them for whatever reason

As a bug lover, I would like to inform you that this is untrue. Spiders are almost always harmless, and even the harmful ones are almost never aggressive, only biting when they feel threatened. We probably fear them because they feel wrong, they match none of our notions of 'normal thing', and something with such abnormalities is usually dangerous or infected with something. Too many eyes, too many legs, and they invade our shelters. You get a similar effect with mayflies (their proportions look strange and alien), snakes (they move in a way that makes no sense to our subconscious mind), and deep sea creatures. I find spiders scary aesthetically as well, but they aren't out to get you.

As for my fears,

Fear of putting my hair up (it feels like something is clinging to my head and I just want to rip the thing off

Fear of drowning

Fear of ants (again, not out to get you, but I nearly died from ant bites)

Fear of parasites

Edit: Also surgery/being in any way 'open'
Strangulation is a big one for me. And macroscopic parasites like botflies. And bees/wasps/hornets. And my parents. And being the more invested one in any kind of relationship.
Strangulation is a big one for me. And macroscopic parasites like botflies. And bees/wasps/hornets. And my parents. And being the more invested one in any kind of relationship.
JOZEYlN.png

EF79DC3B-E077-439D-9F11-FAFDD61A04F5.png

hc22-4.png
Atychiphobia—fear of failure.

You don't want this kind of fear, because it can apply to literally anything or everything.

Atychiphobia—fear of failure.

You don't want this kind of fear, because it can apply to literally anything or everything.

Avatar Dragon: Link / Tiny Dragon by AmberscaleArt. Teba
Masterpost of Guides
Fandragons
Regular
Temple of Time Hatchery
@OreoTheRabbit sorry sorry, didn't mean to insult arthropods in general [emoji=gaoler tongue size=1] spiders are really interesting creatures, but they do scare me irrationally. I worded it harshly but, there have been studies performed that do suggest that spider-fear could be an evolutionary response; they trigger fear responses in infants, and people can more easily pick out spiders amongst flowers than other things. of course, that's a theory, but it is something ingrained in the human subconscious for some reason or another. So no, spiders aren't trying to kill me, but it is very possible that venomous spiders killed humans in the past, and that's why arachnophobia is so common today, as some relic survival strategy! A faulty one if so, because it triggers for completely harmless ones just trying to live their own lives, though. (interesting about mayflies though, hadn't heard of that; maybe people should try putting them into their studies? human biology is still so under researched) Sorry if my wording makes it sound like spiders are some sort of Natural Evil or something like that, they're fine little fellas, I just find human evolutionary ancestry really fascinating, in as much as how many of our traits are dictated by survival benefit.
@OreoTheRabbit sorry sorry, didn't mean to insult arthropods in general spiders are really interesting creatures, but they do scare me irrationally. I worded it harshly but, there have been studies performed that do suggest that spider-fear could be an evolutionary response; they trigger fear responses in infants, and people can more easily pick out spiders amongst flowers than other things. of course, that's a theory, but it is something ingrained in the human subconscious for some reason or another. So no, spiders aren't trying to kill me, but it is very possible that venomous spiders killed humans in the past, and that's why arachnophobia is so common today, as some relic survival strategy! A faulty one if so, because it triggers for completely harmless ones just trying to live their own lives, though. (interesting about mayflies though, hadn't heard of that; maybe people should try putting them into their studies? human biology is still so under researched)

Sorry if my wording makes it sound like spiders are some sort of Natural Evil or something like that, they're fine little fellas, I just find human evolutionary ancestry really fascinating, in as much as how many of our traits are dictated by survival benefit.
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
i've got a relatively normal but rather severe case of acrophobia. however, i do have some less normal fears.

-spectrophobia, the fear of mirrors and reflections (i've had it all my life and haven't had a clue as to why)
-mild oneirophobia, the fear of dreams, usually not permeating my daily life until i have a nightmare. if i close my eyes in bed during said oneirophobic episodes i feel complete panic because i could go to sleep at any time like that. it's a disaster.
i've got a relatively normal but rather severe case of acrophobia. however, i do have some less normal fears.

-spectrophobia, the fear of mirrors and reflections (i've had it all my life and haven't had a clue as to why)
-mild oneirophobia, the fear of dreams, usually not permeating my daily life until i have a nightmare. if i close my eyes in bed during said oneirophobic episodes i feel complete panic because i could go to sleep at any time like that. it's a disaster.
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
art ^ skins ^ buying fod nests
I detest centipedes.

I love and cherish them in theory, but that feeling of the legs...
I detest centipedes.

I love and cherish them in theory, but that feeling of the legs...
Nothing much to say here.

slCEFYq.png
sZShZzW.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12