Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Meet My Ball Python
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Awwww he’s so cute!

I myself am a new(ish) ball python owner, I got mine back in September :P
Awwww he’s so cute!

I myself am a new(ish) ball python owner, I got mine back in September :P
WJnaXRt.gif 5hF3FGk.png
DxCICZ1.png
OnuhFtt.png FZ9VPbS.png
oh my gosh what a pretty boy ;;
oh my gosh what a pretty boy ;;
IMG_3621.gif
~he/they/she, 3hrs ahead of FR time~

IMG_3620.gif
Aww, what a pretty noodle~
Aww, what a pretty noodle~
What a beautiful boy! <3 I love how bright and clean his markings are. Leopard is such an underrated morph.

I wish I could give you advice on transitioning to f/t, but my boy was already eating f/t when I got him and doesn't fit the BP stereotype of being picky. lol I hope you can get him swapped over soon and that there are no more bites in the meantime!
What a beautiful boy! <3 I love how bright and clean his markings are. Leopard is such an underrated morph.

I wish I could give you advice on transitioning to f/t, but my boy was already eating f/t when I got him and doesn't fit the BP stereotype of being picky. lol I hope you can get him swapped over soon and that there are no more bites in the meantime!
Kodama
She/They | FR +2

G1 collector and (occasional) artist. Feel free to ping or message me for whatever reason!
CwIEXQR.png
i've always wanted a ball python but sadly they're illegal to own in my country because of out strict exotic pet laws. :(

so i'll just live vicariously through your beautiful boy
i've always wanted a ball python but sadly they're illegal to own in my country because of out strict exotic pet laws. :(

so i'll just live vicariously through your beautiful boy
T | It | ASD
Maker of fine graves
@sciencesparrow @OrigamiCrane

Real quick update! Solaris's bite wound is healing well with no inflammation or swelling. I will continue to apply Polysporin at least until this Sunday.
As for Solaris's behavior, he is back to his usual self. He seemed pretty shy the past two days and refused to leave his hide, but tonight he is out and about exploring (and even left a poop for me).
@sciencesparrow @OrigamiCrane

Real quick update! Solaris's bite wound is healing well with no inflammation or swelling. I will continue to apply Polysporin at least until this Sunday.
As for Solaris's behavior, he is back to his usual self. He seemed pretty shy the past two days and refused to leave his hide, but tonight he is out and about exploring (and even left a poop for me).
@Tristonia

Hi! I just finished feeding all my scaly friends and had to think about yours. Were you finally able to get him to try f/t? Would love to hear how things are going :)
@Tristonia

Hi! I just finished feeding all my scaly friends and had to think about yours. Were you finally able to get him to try f/t? Would love to hear how things are going :)
3d0f9ea7ae3316ba4e3a56f0ea9d9a3dbd6ee080.png
I have no interest in snakes as pets for myself but that is one cute little noodle.
I have no interest in snakes as pets for myself but that is one cute little noodle.
@sciencesparrow @OrigamiCrane @Nioell Sorry for taking so long to update! I have been busy with college and work the past month. [img]https://i.imgur.com/PUctK9d.jpg[/img] [i]Shy, sleepy boy[/i] Solaris is doing well! He still refuses F/T but I am not giving up hope. I have tried frozen mice, rats, and hamsters with no luck, so I plan to try quail next. I would try gerbils, but the ones I have are still a bit too large for Solaris to safely eat. He's already at 194 g though, so it should be soon. Solaris also had his second shed with me; it took long enough since he is growing so rapidly. This time around, he refused to use his humidity cave, so the shed was not in one complete piece; however, no shed or eyecaps were stuck, so good job to Solaris nonetheless! The bite wound is completely healed and now barely noticeable. Solaris's next shed should remove the tiny scar that's left. Now, onto the super exciting news . . . I got another snake! [img]https://i.imgur.com/aBxT8W0.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/fKzeFtv.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/tN9ZU4v.jpg[/img] Meet Sassafras, the mosaic Florida kingsnake! I first met Sassafras about four months ago. I work at Petco, so I have lots of interactions with various animals (especially snakes, since many of my coworkers refuse to handle them). Sassafras deterred people by biting, rattling his tail, and musking, so only I was willing to hold him. After being in the store for about a week, I noticed that Sassafras developed an intestinal prolapse (some of his intestine was poking outside his body). I immediately contacted our vet and we began treatment. Turns out that Sassafras was severely constipated and it was causing bowel inflammation, so we gave him warm water soaks twice daily and put him on an antibiotic. After [b]three months[/b], the inflammation and swelling finally went away. The vet tested Sassafras for intestinal parasites twice just to make sure he was good to go, and both tests came back negative. About a month into his treatment, I decided I wanted Sassafras if he survived (since prolapses can be dangerous and often require expensive surgery to fix). Even though he has bitten me over three dozen times and musks every time I hold him, I fell in love with his sassy personality. The day after the vet gave the OK for Sassafras to be sold, I brought him home. Fun Facts: * Sassafras only weighs 10 g right now! Solaris weighs 19.4x more than him. * Sassafras [b]eats frozen rodents[/b]! I have already fed him once and was baffled by how easily he took the frozen mouse. * Even though Sassafras is prone to biting (and has bitten me so many times), he has only broken the skin once. His teeth are tiny and he doesn't bite hard. * Sassafras's age is unknown, but I assume that he is about six months old. He is so small because he refused to eat when prolapsed. * Sassafras's sex is unknown and I don't want to probe him/her after the prolapse trouble, so I'll refer to Sassafras as a male unless I find out otherwise. * Sassafras absolutely loves burrowing in aspen. While prolapsed, he had to stay on paper towels to monitor his bowel movements, so he could never properly burrow or hide. Now, he basically swims through the aspen in his enclosure.
@sciencesparrow @OrigamiCrane @Nioell

Sorry for taking so long to update! I have been busy with college and work the past month.

PUctK9d.jpg
Shy, sleepy boy

Solaris is doing well! He still refuses F/T but I am not giving up hope. I have tried frozen mice, rats, and hamsters with no luck, so I plan to try quail next. I would try gerbils, but the ones I have are still a bit too large for Solaris to safely eat. He's already at 194 g though, so it should be soon.
Solaris also had his second shed with me; it took long enough since he is growing so rapidly. This time around, he refused to use his humidity cave, so the shed was not in one complete piece; however, no shed or eyecaps were stuck, so good job to Solaris nonetheless!
The bite wound is completely healed and now barely noticeable. Solaris's next shed should remove the tiny scar that's left.

Now, onto the super exciting news . . .

I got another snake!

aBxT8W0.jpg
fKzeFtv.jpg
tN9ZU4v.jpg

Meet Sassafras, the mosaic Florida kingsnake!
I first met Sassafras about four months ago. I work at Petco, so I have lots of interactions with various animals (especially snakes, since many of my coworkers refuse to handle them). Sassafras deterred people by biting, rattling his tail, and musking, so only I was willing to hold him. After being in the store for about a week, I noticed that Sassafras developed an intestinal prolapse (some of his intestine was poking outside his body). I immediately contacted our vet and we began treatment. Turns out that Sassafras was severely constipated and it was causing bowel inflammation, so we gave him warm water soaks twice daily and put him on an antibiotic. After three months, the inflammation and swelling finally went away. The vet tested Sassafras for intestinal parasites twice just to make sure he was good to go, and both tests came back negative. About a month into his treatment, I decided I wanted Sassafras if he survived (since prolapses can be dangerous and often require expensive surgery to fix). Even though he has bitten me over three dozen times and musks every time I hold him, I fell in love with his sassy personality. The day after the vet gave the OK for Sassafras to be sold, I brought him home.

Fun Facts:
* Sassafras only weighs 10 g right now! Solaris weighs 19.4x more than him.
* Sassafras eats frozen rodents! I have already fed him once and was baffled by how easily he took the frozen mouse.
* Even though Sassafras is prone to biting (and has bitten me so many times), he has only broken the skin once. His teeth are tiny and he doesn't bite hard.
* Sassafras's age is unknown, but I assume that he is about six months old. He is so small because he refused to eat when prolapsed.
* Sassafras's sex is unknown and I don't want to probe him/her after the prolapse trouble, so I'll refer to Sassafras as a male unless I find out otherwise.
* Sassafras absolutely loves burrowing in aspen. While prolapsed, he had to stay on paper towels to monitor his bowel movements, so he could never properly burrow or hide. Now, he basically swims through the aspen in his enclosure.
@Tristonia Yo just found this awesome thread, haven't read it through its entirety yet but do you know about the Snake Discovery youtube channel? They have tons of fun videos mostly about snakes and snakekeeping, but there's also a specific video about what to do if a snake doesn't want to eat frozen/thawed.

Sometime in the future I REALLY want to get a BP too, but I need to pay off student loans first :/ I'll have to make do with watching snake videos for now
@Tristonia Yo just found this awesome thread, haven't read it through its entirety yet but do you know about the Snake Discovery youtube channel? They have tons of fun videos mostly about snakes and snakekeeping, but there's also a specific video about what to do if a snake doesn't want to eat frozen/thawed.

Sometime in the future I REALLY want to get a BP too, but I need to pay off student loans first :/ I'll have to make do with watching snake videos for now
BVq8q9P.pngGatcha_Badge.gifnGvTyg3.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9