Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Queer book rec for a 13y/o?
1 2
Soo this might be a weird place to ask, but it's the only online place where I'm quite active atm & well, there are at least a lot of queer ppl here (edit: like myself, just that I have zero clue of LGBT books because I don't read enough anymore Dx) & search engines were no help so far.

So, not only is Chrismtmas coming up, but also the birthday of my oldest little sister & she's turning 13 on December 14th.

A few months ago she came out to me about being a lesbian & by now her parents know as well & well, LGBTQ+ things are the thing right now, of course...
So, don't think I want to be the awkward big sister making her uncomfortable with gifting her weird coming out stuff :') she's very open about it by now, I'd even say ... she's pretty 'in your face' about it on purpose since well, she's in the middle of puberty & identifies through her newfound labels.

Her other label of current importance is 'emo' & that brings some other difficulties:
  1. She would not like reading pure romance.
  2. "Colors are too showy" -quote. Only black & grey are cool. She would try reading any book I give her, but if it was pink she would certainly not be excited to & no matter what's written inside she's a teenager. The first impression is even more important than anyway.

So something with mystery or action would be good & while I'm sure she would be super excited about brutality, it would probably do no good to her mental health. (Not because I think everything for kids must be super pure & they can't handle anything, but she just recovered from mental health problems.)

Then of course, a lot of books are directed at an older audience & while she is honestly ... annoyingly ahead with puberty compared to other kids her age, neither I nor she would like that book to have too explicit mature themes. :')

+ I'd actually love if it was a book that either isn't primarily focused on the relationship but just has those themes or reveals them during the story.

Actually, something like a younger audience version of Six of Crowswould probably be good, haha...

But that would just be a nice extra, who knows if such a book exists :'D When everything you know is queer already on the cover, that's alright!

Would just be happy if someone could help!
Soo this might be a weird place to ask, but it's the only online place where I'm quite active atm & well, there are at least a lot of queer ppl here (edit: like myself, just that I have zero clue of LGBT books because I don't read enough anymore Dx) & search engines were no help so far.

So, not only is Chrismtmas coming up, but also the birthday of my oldest little sister & she's turning 13 on December 14th.

A few months ago she came out to me about being a lesbian & by now her parents know as well & well, LGBTQ+ things are the thing right now, of course...
So, don't think I want to be the awkward big sister making her uncomfortable with gifting her weird coming out stuff :') she's very open about it by now, I'd even say ... she's pretty 'in your face' about it on purpose since well, she's in the middle of puberty & identifies through her newfound labels.

Her other label of current importance is 'emo' & that brings some other difficulties:
  1. She would not like reading pure romance.
  2. "Colors are too showy" -quote. Only black & grey are cool. She would try reading any book I give her, but if it was pink she would certainly not be excited to & no matter what's written inside she's a teenager. The first impression is even more important than anyway.

So something with mystery or action would be good & while I'm sure she would be super excited about brutality, it would probably do no good to her mental health. (Not because I think everything for kids must be super pure & they can't handle anything, but she just recovered from mental health problems.)

Then of course, a lot of books are directed at an older audience & while she is honestly ... annoyingly ahead with puberty compared to other kids her age, neither I nor she would like that book to have too explicit mature themes. :')

+ I'd actually love if it was a book that either isn't primarily focused on the relationship but just has those themes or reveals them during the story.

Actually, something like a younger audience version of Six of Crowswould probably be good, haha...

But that would just be a nice extra, who knows if such a book exists :'D When everything you know is queer already on the cover, that's alright!

Would just be happy if someone could help!
  • FR+9
  • 29y/o
  • they/them
@MandragoraAutumn Oh boy, my librarian brain LOVES challenges like this ^^ I saw that you mentioned Six of Crows. Has your sister read it? Did she like it? Given the fact that you brought up some recent mental health problems I wasn't sure either way. You bring up her being LGBT. Do the characters in the story have to be that as well? Either further, do they have to be lesbian like she is? Finding LGBT books isn't a problem, it's just that it's harder to find LGBT novels that aren't romantically-centered (something I'm sure you've already noticed). There are some out there, it just takes a bit more time to find them.

I'll start digging and see what I can find for you ^^

Edit: forget the LGBT questions I asked, I was too excited to find a book request that my brain skipped over the title *facepalm*
@MandragoraAutumn Oh boy, my librarian brain LOVES challenges like this ^^ I saw that you mentioned Six of Crows. Has your sister read it? Did she like it? Given the fact that you brought up some recent mental health problems I wasn't sure either way. You bring up her being LGBT. Do the characters in the story have to be that as well? Either further, do they have to be lesbian like she is? Finding LGBT books isn't a problem, it's just that it's harder to find LGBT novels that aren't romantically-centered (something I'm sure you've already noticed). There are some out there, it just takes a bit more time to find them.

I'll start digging and see what I can find for you ^^

Edit: forget the LGBT questions I asked, I was too excited to find a book request that my brain skipped over the title *facepalm*
@Polyhymnia

Ahh, you seem so ambitious about this, I'm regaining hope! x)

Yes! I noticed that it's hard to find not-romantically centered ones... Romantically centered would be okay if there isn't anything for her age that isn't, just not if it's really 'sappy', but that is hard to figure out by only reading the cover's back.

No, my sister has not read Six of Crows, my girlfriend did & is a big fan & I did partly & really liked it so far but didn't finish it yet nonetheless :')

Yep, I'm looking for LGBT+ topics, but of course not every character has to be! Not >the< main character either, but it should be a important character, that has some ... 'screen' time & isn't only shortly mentioned.
Lesbian isn't necessary! She would be excited about anything queer I'm quite sure.
and I didn't refresh the page before answering, whoops

Thanks a lot for trying to help!! c:
@Polyhymnia

Ahh, you seem so ambitious about this, I'm regaining hope! x)

Yes! I noticed that it's hard to find not-romantically centered ones... Romantically centered would be okay if there isn't anything for her age that isn't, just not if it's really 'sappy', but that is hard to figure out by only reading the cover's back.

No, my sister has not read Six of Crows, my girlfriend did & is a big fan & I did partly & really liked it so far but didn't finish it yet nonetheless :')

Yep, I'm looking for LGBT+ topics, but of course not every character has to be! Not >the< main character either, but it should be a important character, that has some ... 'screen' time & isn't only shortly mentioned.
Lesbian isn't necessary! She would be excited about anything queer I'm quite sure.
and I didn't refresh the page before answering, whoops

Thanks a lot for trying to help!! c:
  • FR+9
  • 29y/o
  • they/them
@MandragoraAutumn

The first things that spring to mind are the Arrows of the Queen trilogy and the Last Herald-Mage trilogy both by Mercedes Lackey. Both trilogies are fantasy. Arrows features a few LGBT supporting characters and is a decent coming of age story. The Last Herald-Mage trilogy features a gay main character and several others that are supporting.

If I can think of any others, I'll let you know!

Thank you for being supportive, BTW. Everyone needs allies!
@MandragoraAutumn

The first things that spring to mind are the Arrows of the Queen trilogy and the Last Herald-Mage trilogy both by Mercedes Lackey. Both trilogies are fantasy. Arrows features a few LGBT supporting characters and is a decent coming of age story. The Last Herald-Mage trilogy features a gay main character and several others that are supporting.

If I can think of any others, I'll let you know!

Thank you for being supportive, BTW. Everyone needs allies!
37DVNcQ.pngmGeS6Yc.png6qRiT6A.png
So let me first start this by saying that I didn’t realize how many books anymore have “happier/brighter” covers. I stare at books all day and it’s… not something that’s ever crossed my mind. Having to find ones with darker covers and good plotlines was a nice challenge! ^^ Just so you don’t have to open all the links I’ve included a small snippet from the back synopsis of each book. The Goodreads link is also there for all of them, since that’s the easiest way to read more about each of them.

Proxy by Alex London – Okay, I’m fairly certain that this book will be too dark... but it looked interesting enough that I figured it wouldn’t hurt to bring it up!
“Knox was born into one of the City’s wealthiest families. A Patron, he has everything a boy could possibly want—the latest tech, the coolest clothes, and a Proxy to take all his punishments. When Knox breaks a vase, Syd is beaten. When Knox plays a practical joke, Syd is forced to haul rocks. And when Knox crashes a car, killing one of his friends, Syd is branded and sentenced to death.

Syd is a Proxy. His life is not his own.

Then again, neither is Knox’s. Knox and Syd have more in common than either would guess. So when Knox and Syd realize that the only way to beat the system is to save each other, they flee. Yet Knox’s father is no ordinary Patron, and Syd is no ordinary Proxy. The ensuing cross-country chase will uncover a secret society of rebels, test both boys’ resolve, and shine a blinding light onto a world of those who owe and those who pay. Some debts, it turns out, cannot be repaid.”
Goodreads Link

Pantomime by Laura Lam – This one is about an intersex character who basically skips down and joins the circus. There are some mentions of romance, but it doesn’t look like there’s anything too central to the main story.

“Gene's life resembles a debutante's dream. Yet she hides a secret that would see her shunned by the nobility. Gene is both male and female. Then she displays unwanted magical abilities - last seen in mysterious beings from an almost-forgotten age. Matters escalate further when her parents plan a devastating betrayal, so she flees home, dressed as a boy.

The city beyond contains glowing glass relics from a lost civilization. They call to her, but she wants freedom not mysteries. So, reinvented as 'Micah Grey', Gene joins the circus. As an aerialist, she discovers the joy of flight - but the circus has a dark side. She's also plagued by visions foretelling danger. A storm is howling in from the past, but will she heed its roar?”

Goodreads Link

If this specific book doesn’t really check the boxes you’re looking for I’d definitely check into the author because she seems like she might have something cool up her sleeve ^^

Vixen by Rosie Garland – The reviews on this historical fiction novel seem to be a little mixed. It seemed interesting though! The tale is set in South West England in the time of the plague.

The author of Vixen was the singer in the March Violets, a goth band, something that’s totally interesting as well.

“Rosie Garland’s extraordinary tale is a story of superstition and devotion in the time of the Black Death and will bewitch both new readers and fans of her much-loved debut, The Palace of Curiosities.

Devon, 1349. In Brauntone, where seagulls screech across the fields and the wind has a mind to change, Father Thomas arrives as the new priest. Determined to impress his congregation, he quells fears of the coming pestilence with promises of protection.

For Anne, the priest’s arrival is an opportunity that at sixteen, she feels all too ready for. Convinced a grand fate awaits, she moves in as Thomas’s housekeeper, though hopeful of something more. But his home is a place without love or kindness. So when a strange, mute Maid is discovered, washed up in the marshes, and taken in, Anne is grateful for the company. Their friendship is to give Anne the chance of a happiness she thought she’d never know.

But soon the plague strikes Brauntone, spreading panic. And as the villagers’ fear turns to anger, Thomas must sacrifice anything to restore their faith in him.”

Goodreads Link

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir- Not specifically for young adults but this storyline sounds pretty awesome so I figured I’d leave it up to you to decide. It also might be a little too dark considering the novel is centered around a necromancer.

“Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth, first in The Locked Tomb Trilogy, unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.
Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon’s sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.
Of course, some things are better left dead.”

Goodreads Link

Tithe by Holly Black – Reviews for this book claim that the reader is either going to LOVE it or HATE it, there really isn’t an in-between on this one. The characters seem very real but again, this one may be a smidge too dark (apparently that’s a common theme in books that have darker colors, who knew).

“Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.”

Goodreads Link

Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking – A friend of mine actually suggested this! It sounds really cool ^^ I asked about the romance level (since it seems like it could easily have more than you said that romance wasn’t something that your sister was really interested in) and they said that there wasn’t a huge amount, but it’s still there.

“As one of Odin's Valkyries, Malin's greatest responsibility is to slay immortals and return them to the underworld. The balance of the world rests on her ability to carry out orders. But when Malin discovers that her mother spared the life of an immortal who was destined to die, her world is thrown into chaos.

As Malin wrestles with the knowledge that her mother might not be who she thought, she’s also thrust into the path of a gorgeous blue-eyed guy named Asher who needs her help slaying the rogue immortal who destroyed his family. Malin, along with her best friend and her ex-girlfriend, must decide where her loyalties lie...and whether helping Asher enact his revenge is worth the risk—to the world and to her heart.”

Goodreads Link

Anyways, this is probably definitely more information than you wanted, but this is what I do for a living so it's hard to reign myself in sometimes. ^^ Hopefully one of these is at least a good jumping-off point if they aren’t exactly what you’re looking for!
So let me first start this by saying that I didn’t realize how many books anymore have “happier/brighter” covers. I stare at books all day and it’s… not something that’s ever crossed my mind. Having to find ones with darker covers and good plotlines was a nice challenge! ^^ Just so you don’t have to open all the links I’ve included a small snippet from the back synopsis of each book. The Goodreads link is also there for all of them, since that’s the easiest way to read more about each of them.

Proxy by Alex London – Okay, I’m fairly certain that this book will be too dark... but it looked interesting enough that I figured it wouldn’t hurt to bring it up!
“Knox was born into one of the City’s wealthiest families. A Patron, he has everything a boy could possibly want—the latest tech, the coolest clothes, and a Proxy to take all his punishments. When Knox breaks a vase, Syd is beaten. When Knox plays a practical joke, Syd is forced to haul rocks. And when Knox crashes a car, killing one of his friends, Syd is branded and sentenced to death.

Syd is a Proxy. His life is not his own.

Then again, neither is Knox’s. Knox and Syd have more in common than either would guess. So when Knox and Syd realize that the only way to beat the system is to save each other, they flee. Yet Knox’s father is no ordinary Patron, and Syd is no ordinary Proxy. The ensuing cross-country chase will uncover a secret society of rebels, test both boys’ resolve, and shine a blinding light onto a world of those who owe and those who pay. Some debts, it turns out, cannot be repaid.”
Goodreads Link

Pantomime by Laura Lam – This one is about an intersex character who basically skips down and joins the circus. There are some mentions of romance, but it doesn’t look like there’s anything too central to the main story.

“Gene's life resembles a debutante's dream. Yet she hides a secret that would see her shunned by the nobility. Gene is both male and female. Then she displays unwanted magical abilities - last seen in mysterious beings from an almost-forgotten age. Matters escalate further when her parents plan a devastating betrayal, so she flees home, dressed as a boy.

The city beyond contains glowing glass relics from a lost civilization. They call to her, but she wants freedom not mysteries. So, reinvented as 'Micah Grey', Gene joins the circus. As an aerialist, she discovers the joy of flight - but the circus has a dark side. She's also plagued by visions foretelling danger. A storm is howling in from the past, but will she heed its roar?”

Goodreads Link

If this specific book doesn’t really check the boxes you’re looking for I’d definitely check into the author because she seems like she might have something cool up her sleeve ^^

Vixen by Rosie Garland – The reviews on this historical fiction novel seem to be a little mixed. It seemed interesting though! The tale is set in South West England in the time of the plague.

The author of Vixen was the singer in the March Violets, a goth band, something that’s totally interesting as well.

“Rosie Garland’s extraordinary tale is a story of superstition and devotion in the time of the Black Death and will bewitch both new readers and fans of her much-loved debut, The Palace of Curiosities.

Devon, 1349. In Brauntone, where seagulls screech across the fields and the wind has a mind to change, Father Thomas arrives as the new priest. Determined to impress his congregation, he quells fears of the coming pestilence with promises of protection.

For Anne, the priest’s arrival is an opportunity that at sixteen, she feels all too ready for. Convinced a grand fate awaits, she moves in as Thomas’s housekeeper, though hopeful of something more. But his home is a place without love or kindness. So when a strange, mute Maid is discovered, washed up in the marshes, and taken in, Anne is grateful for the company. Their friendship is to give Anne the chance of a happiness she thought she’d never know.

But soon the plague strikes Brauntone, spreading panic. And as the villagers’ fear turns to anger, Thomas must sacrifice anything to restore their faith in him.”

Goodreads Link

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir- Not specifically for young adults but this storyline sounds pretty awesome so I figured I’d leave it up to you to decide. It also might be a little too dark considering the novel is centered around a necromancer.

“Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth, first in The Locked Tomb Trilogy, unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.
Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon’s sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.
Of course, some things are better left dead.”

Goodreads Link

Tithe by Holly Black – Reviews for this book claim that the reader is either going to LOVE it or HATE it, there really isn’t an in-between on this one. The characters seem very real but again, this one may be a smidge too dark (apparently that’s a common theme in books that have darker colors, who knew).

“Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.”

Goodreads Link

Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking – A friend of mine actually suggested this! It sounds really cool ^^ I asked about the romance level (since it seems like it could easily have more than you said that romance wasn’t something that your sister was really interested in) and they said that there wasn’t a huge amount, but it’s still there.

“As one of Odin's Valkyries, Malin's greatest responsibility is to slay immortals and return them to the underworld. The balance of the world rests on her ability to carry out orders. But when Malin discovers that her mother spared the life of an immortal who was destined to die, her world is thrown into chaos.

As Malin wrestles with the knowledge that her mother might not be who she thought, she’s also thrust into the path of a gorgeous blue-eyed guy named Asher who needs her help slaying the rogue immortal who destroyed his family. Malin, along with her best friend and her ex-girlfriend, must decide where her loyalties lie...and whether helping Asher enact his revenge is worth the risk—to the world and to her heart.”

Goodreads Link

Anyways, this is probably definitely more information than you wanted, but this is what I do for a living so it's hard to reign myself in sometimes. ^^ Hopefully one of these is at least a good jumping-off point if they aren’t exactly what you’re looking for!
@risforrose

Ahh, I just now realize I worded it as if I was unfamiliar with LGBT+ things, but I'm actually the Older Gay (TM) I just don't read anything anymore & shamefully have no single clue about queer literature jadfhgfalk
So of course I'm supportive, but that thanks can go straight to our dad & (different) moms!
Ahh, but before I start to get sentimental better get back to the topic & sorry for being confusing ;v;

First off thanks for sharing, fantasy sounds like a good start!
I did a quick search & found out the second one apparently wasn't translated to German (I didn't mention this because I can look it up myself & who knows, if it's just available in English maybe I want to read it? :D), but the Arrows of the Queen one is! Def gonna look into this!

@Polyhymnia

I just - wow!!
No, no, no worries, I'm amazed :D I certainly didn't expect so much, but I'm surely not bothered, I've read over it & they all seem interesting & definitely focused on stories!
Thanks for the dedication, sure seems like you found the right job :D

Dark themes are okay too, haha, as you said darker covers probably come with those x) And she will enjoy dark things.
I just don't want it t have descriptive violence, so maybe a few of those who seem more likely to have this will be out of question, but before I gift it to her I will read it myself anyway, so there won't be a risk that something is too bloody or something.

Imma head into bed now, but I'm gonna further look into some of those tomorrow, there surely is at least one that'll work as a good present for her!!

Thanks to the both of you again!
@risforrose

Ahh, I just now realize I worded it as if I was unfamiliar with LGBT+ things, but I'm actually the Older Gay (TM) I just don't read anything anymore & shamefully have no single clue about queer literature jadfhgfalk
So of course I'm supportive, but that thanks can go straight to our dad & (different) moms!
Ahh, but before I start to get sentimental better get back to the topic & sorry for being confusing ;v;

First off thanks for sharing, fantasy sounds like a good start!
I did a quick search & found out the second one apparently wasn't translated to German (I didn't mention this because I can look it up myself & who knows, if it's just available in English maybe I want to read it? :D), but the Arrows of the Queen one is! Def gonna look into this!

@Polyhymnia

I just - wow!!
No, no, no worries, I'm amazed :D I certainly didn't expect so much, but I'm surely not bothered, I've read over it & they all seem interesting & definitely focused on stories!
Thanks for the dedication, sure seems like you found the right job :D

Dark themes are okay too, haha, as you said darker covers probably come with those x) And she will enjoy dark things.
I just don't want it t have descriptive violence, so maybe a few of those who seem more likely to have this will be out of question, but before I gift it to her I will read it myself anyway, so there won't be a risk that something is too bloody or something.

Imma head into bed now, but I'm gonna further look into some of those tomorrow, there surely is at least one that'll work as a good present for her!!

Thanks to the both of you again!
  • FR+9
  • 29y/o
  • they/them
Gravity's Rainbow has a lot of homosexual stuff in it but it's also extremely obscene, probably not good for you don't want something explicit but I'll leave it here anyways because it's easily the greatest book I've ever read.
Gravity's Rainbow has a lot of homosexual stuff in it but it's also extremely obscene, probably not good for you don't want something explicit but I'll leave it here anyways because it's easily the greatest book I've ever read.
"Darkness still fell upon the cliff and the horn of the new moon vanished in the end behind the window of the wall as into a long-feared shelter in the Earth rich with the frames humility of God's memory and reflections. The stars in the sky shivered as they crawled once more up the fantastic ladder and into the void of themselves. They wondered whose turn would be next to fall from the sky as the last ghost of the crew had died and they alone were left to frame Christ's tree and home."
Not a book but SU: The Movie has big gay solidarity
Not a book but SU: The Movie has big gay solidarity
vckV4Hu.pngnbYcIeA.png
@mandragoraautumn gideon the ninth is NOT appropriate for 13 year olds as it has extremely crass language and relies on pretentious, big words that would turn a 13 year old off immediately. tor.com has a sampler if you want to vet it yourself, though.

i'd recommend carry on by rainbow rowell. i'm not familiar enough with lgbt+ lit, and especially not stuff centering wlw, but carry on is a parody of harry potter where the magic system makes sense and is just angsty (and fluffy) enough for an emo 13 year old. basically, harry and draco are roommates but draco is also a vampire who's been missing for a while. and they end up dating. though i'd be wary bc the vampire character does express some self-harm tendencies. also, the paperback cover is ambiguous enough that she won't get in trouble for Reading Gay Stuff, and it's a dark/muted color palette.

and yes the sequel is called wayward son, and it focuses more on simon's mental health, so if you're wary of that then i'd be careful.
@mandragoraautumn gideon the ninth is NOT appropriate for 13 year olds as it has extremely crass language and relies on pretentious, big words that would turn a 13 year old off immediately. tor.com has a sampler if you want to vet it yourself, though.

i'd recommend carry on by rainbow rowell. i'm not familiar enough with lgbt+ lit, and especially not stuff centering wlw, but carry on is a parody of harry potter where the magic system makes sense and is just angsty (and fluffy) enough for an emo 13 year old. basically, harry and draco are roommates but draco is also a vampire who's been missing for a while. and they end up dating. though i'd be wary bc the vampire character does express some self-harm tendencies. also, the paperback cover is ambiguous enough that she won't get in trouble for Reading Gay Stuff, and it's a dark/muted color palette.

and yes the sequel is called wayward son, and it focuses more on simon's mental health, so if you're wary of that then i'd be careful.
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
as someone who was a thirteen-year-old more recently than some of y’all: I don’t have many recommendations but I would say don’t worry about age appropriate. like obviously nothing explicit and different people are okay with different things but books like six of crows (which was mentioned up there I think) would be fine age-wise imo
as someone who was a thirteen-year-old more recently than some of y’all: I don’t have many recommendations but I would say don’t worry about age appropriate. like obviously nothing explicit and different people are okay with different things but books like six of crows (which was mentioned up there I think) would be fine age-wise imo
nightskyseer |answers to parts of username or Spectral|she/her/they/them | fr time +0
1 2