Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | YA Book Recs
1 2
If you don't mind something from an established franchise and that is no longer canon, the Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights books are fun. Some of the arcs have been collected into larger paperbacks (which can be found pretty cheap) and they are also easy to get digitally.

They are a Young Adult novel series that take place in the same overall Expanded Universe (what is now called "Legends" in the Star Wars layers of canon) of other old Star Wars novels and follow some of the younger Jedi-in-training such as Han and Leia's twin chlidren Jacen and Jaina, Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca, as well as others such as (my personal favorite character from the series) Tenel Ka, who has a very interesting mixed heritage (her father is royalty from the Hapes Consortium, while her mother was a Force Witch of Dathomir).

You don't need to have any prior Star Wars EU knowledge (or know anything more than "Jedi are good, Dark Jedi and Sith are bad") as they were written as a way to get new younger readers into the overall Expanded Universe, but the stories still take place in the same setting as the regular novels and there are occasional callbacks to them in later novels when the characters are older.

If you don't mind something from an established franchise and that is no longer canon, the Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights books are fun. Some of the arcs have been collected into larger paperbacks (which can be found pretty cheap) and they are also easy to get digitally.

They are a Young Adult novel series that take place in the same overall Expanded Universe (what is now called "Legends" in the Star Wars layers of canon) of other old Star Wars novels and follow some of the younger Jedi-in-training such as Han and Leia's twin chlidren Jacen and Jaina, Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca, as well as others such as (my personal favorite character from the series) Tenel Ka, who has a very interesting mixed heritage (her father is royalty from the Hapes Consortium, while her mother was a Force Witch of Dathomir).

You don't need to have any prior Star Wars EU knowledge (or know anything more than "Jedi are good, Dark Jedi and Sith are bad") as they were written as a way to get new younger readers into the overall Expanded Universe, but the stories still take place in the same setting as the regular novels and there are occasional callbacks to them in later novels when the characters are older.

Formerly known as Brenning.
Patrick Ness is my favorite author of all time and is REALLY good about writing mature, thoughtful YA novels. He's very good with having LGBT/relatively diverse characters (I think he's gay as well?)

A Monster Calls is my all-time favorite book. It will make you cry but it will help you. Any time I feel lost, I'll reread it. The illustrations are gorgeous. His other books include The Rest of Us Just Live Here, More Than This, and the Chaos Walking trilogy, which is getting a movie pretty soon !!

Neil Gaiman is also lovely. Coraline, Stardust, Neverwhere, Good Omens, American Gods... all great. I think American Gods is my favorite, with Good Omens as a very close second. His Sandman comics are also great!
Patrick Ness is my favorite author of all time and is REALLY good about writing mature, thoughtful YA novels. He's very good with having LGBT/relatively diverse characters (I think he's gay as well?)

A Monster Calls is my all-time favorite book. It will make you cry but it will help you. Any time I feel lost, I'll reread it. The illustrations are gorgeous. His other books include The Rest of Us Just Live Here, More Than This, and the Chaos Walking trilogy, which is getting a movie pretty soon !!

Neil Gaiman is also lovely. Coraline, Stardust, Neverwhere, Good Omens, American Gods... all great. I think American Gods is my favorite, with Good Omens as a very close second. His Sandman comics are also great!
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
Can I just +100000 to @Iokharic rec

Tamora Pierce is one of my all-time favorite YA authors. She has incredible world-building skills and writes wonderful female leads. Also iokharic -- if you ever want a buddy to obsess about any of her books with, *shyly raises hand*
Can I just +100000 to @Iokharic rec

Tamora Pierce is one of my all-time favorite YA authors. She has incredible world-building skills and writes wonderful female leads. Also iokharic -- if you ever want a buddy to obsess about any of her books with, *shyly raises hand*
responds to blue or willow; she/her pronouns
Also for LGBT+ and fantasy, Victoria Lee's Fever King might be a good one!
Also for LGBT+ and fantasy, Victoria Lee's Fever King might be a good one!
responds to blue or willow; she/her pronouns
@GustForFun have you checked out Shusterman’s other books by chance? Unwind and Dry are AMAZING.
@GustForFun have you checked out Shusterman’s other books by chance? Unwind and Dry are AMAZING.
At least you walked a lonely road and gave it a friend.
1 2