Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Scifi world building (8 question survey)
Hi there! Thanks for clicking! I'm trying to collect data to help me with my world building for a scifi book I'm writing. Here's the summary:
Quote:
I'm not sure if surveys like this are allowed, but here goes! In my world, scientists have completely mastered the art of plugging robotic parts into brains. This allows some people to sell off their human bodies and buy a robotic body instead; these people are called neurodonors (name subject to change). Neurodonors are basically just robotic animals with human brains. They're generally people who were fed up with the complexities of human life, and wanted a simpler existence. They generally serve the same purpose the animals they replace would; horses are pack animals, wolves herd stuff or act as guards, etc. It still needs to be fleshed out more, but that's where I'm starting.

The purpose of this survey is to determine how common it would actually be for people to want to become neurodonors, and what kind of animals people would want to be. Pretty much the only restrictions are based around the human brain; the robotic body must be at least big enough to fit the entire human brain, and it can't have more than four limbs because the human brain isn't strong enough to drive more than four limbs.

If you wanna fill out the super short survey, it's here.

If you've got any feedback or thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Hi there! Thanks for clicking! I'm trying to collect data to help me with my world building for a scifi book I'm writing. Here's the summary:
Quote:
I'm not sure if surveys like this are allowed, but here goes! In my world, scientists have completely mastered the art of plugging robotic parts into brains. This allows some people to sell off their human bodies and buy a robotic body instead; these people are called neurodonors (name subject to change). Neurodonors are basically just robotic animals with human brains. They're generally people who were fed up with the complexities of human life, and wanted a simpler existence. They generally serve the same purpose the animals they replace would; horses are pack animals, wolves herd stuff or act as guards, etc. It still needs to be fleshed out more, but that's where I'm starting.

The purpose of this survey is to determine how common it would actually be for people to want to become neurodonors, and what kind of animals people would want to be. Pretty much the only restrictions are based around the human brain; the robotic body must be at least big enough to fit the entire human brain, and it can't have more than four limbs because the human brain isn't strong enough to drive more than four limbs.

If you wanna fill out the super short survey, it's here.

If you've got any feedback or thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
dNCLmdm.png u Spreadsheet Enthusiast u My tools website
u Wishlist u CC Free Bio Resources
u My suggestions u Offsite Tools Masterlist
-
- Please pick dragons from my hibden for forum games! -
I subscribe to every thread I make.
:D That's an interesting idea.
We can see a lot of people regretting it if the process isn't reversible. Being an animal sounds cool at first but it'd probably drive people crazy not being able to do basic human things like speak/properly communicate, manipulate objects, live inside etc.
If they'd do the same jobs as the animal they are would they still be treated like a human? Would a horse neurodonor live with real horses or other robot ones? What if they were a wild animal or one without a specific job?
There's a minimum size, would there be a maximum one? Could we throw our brain in a blue whale body?
:D That's an interesting idea.
We can see a lot of people regretting it if the process isn't reversible. Being an animal sounds cool at first but it'd probably drive people crazy not being able to do basic human things like speak/properly communicate, manipulate objects, live inside etc.
If they'd do the same jobs as the animal they are would they still be treated like a human? Would a horse neurodonor live with real horses or other robot ones? What if they were a wild animal or one without a specific job?
There's a minimum size, would there be a maximum one? Could we throw our brain in a blue whale body?
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@VolatileMatter

This is such a neat idea! Really unique as well.

I bet something like that would be popular with people who are getting on in years, and people who have permanent/terminal illnesses. Of course their bodies wouldn't be in 100% perfect condition, but most illnesses only affect certain portions of the body so I bet it'd still be viable. It would give people who don't have long to live a way to remain as part of the world. Or even give people who have severe mobility issues a way to escape that, even if it would come as a big sacrifice.

Then there's that small population of species dysphoric people that would do it just because it feels right. I'm a therian, but honestly I'm not 100% sure I would do it right away... I'd probably live out as much of my human life as I want, then become a donor. I lowkey wish this were a real thing now... science please.

If you ever need a proofreader or anything feel free to PM me! :o
@VolatileMatter

I bet something like that would be popular with people who are getting on in years, and people who have permanent/terminal illnesses. Of course their bodies wouldn't be in 100% perfect condition, but most illnesses only affect certain portions of the body so I bet it'd still be viable. It would give people who don't have long to live a way to remain as part of the world. Or even give people who have severe mobility issues a way to escape that, even if it would come as a big sacrifice.

Then there's that small population of species dysphoric people that would do it just because it feels right. I'm a therian, but honestly I'm not 100% sure I would do it right away... I'd probably live out as much of my human life as I want, then become a donor. I lowkey wish this were a real thing now... science please.

[quote]There's a minimum size, would there be a maximum one? Could we throw our brain in a blue whale body?[/quote] There's definitely a minimum size-- you have to be at least the size of a human brain. You don't need any other organs, just your brain. So the smallest you can get is like, a rabbit. The maximum size is pretty much just limited by your money-- while some of the more generic neurodonor bodies are mass-produced (wolves, horses, large birds, generic humans), but if you were filthy stinking rich I'm sure you could afford to get a blue-whale body built. I haven't really thought about that, because I figured the number of people who are both 1) extremely wealthy, and 2) interested in becoming a huge animal is fairly small. As long as you have four limbs, there isn't really an upper bound on the size as long as you can afford it. [quote]We can see a lot of people regretting it if the process isn't reversible. [/quote] You can never go back to an organic human body, but you could move to an android body. Androids don't pass as humans (the art style of the world is dieselpunk) but they at least have full functionality. That is, of course, if you can afford to buy one. Generic human bodies aren't too expensive, they're like a couple thousand, but fancy custom ones can get pretty pricey. Since neurodonors also happen because people are trying to escape debts (human bodies sell for quite a lot because of the organs), and a basic like, wolf neurodonor is cheaper than they sell their human body for, so they make a profit and can pay down those debts. But that also means they do it out of desperation. So there are a lot of neurodonors who regret their choice. Because while they can connect robotic parts to a human body without issue, they can't connect human parts to each other very easily. [quote]Being an animal sounds cool at first but it'd probably drive people crazy not being able to do basic human things like speak/properly communicate, manipulate objects, live inside etc.[/quote] All neurodonor bodies come equipped with the ability to talk, unless you specifically avoid it. So that's not an issue. But as for manipulation; you're absolutely correct. But most people adapt and try to look on the bright side; they do have a lot more, different abilities because of their bodies. A horse neurodonor is stronger and faster than any human could ever dream. So it's just a tradeoff. [quote]Would a horse neurodonor live with real horses or other robot ones?[/quote] Neurodonors don't smell or produce waste like their organic counter parts. They produce exhaust like cars (again, dieselpunk), so the larger ones have trouble operating inside but there's no reason they can't sleep inside. They are loud though. I imagine they'd have to have specific places, but there's nothing stopping them from just sleeping outside. They don't feel uncomfortable like organics do, so long as they're protected from rain (they will rust). Honestly I hadn't considered the sleeping arrangements, I'll have to think more about that. Thanks! [quote]If they'd do the same jobs as the animal they are would they still be treated like a human?[/quote] They can talk and they retain their human intelligence, so they are for the most part treated like humans. They still demand a wage, basic respect, etc. Non-human sentients demanding respect and equality is a theme throughout the story, and how different people react to them. They're treated like any blue collar worker; not always with the most respect. There's also some stigma around them because a lot of people cannot understand [i]why[/i] someone would want to be an animal. So at their worst, neurodonors face the worst of what blue collar workers and furries face. [quote]What if they were a wild animal or one without a specific job?[/quote] Neurodonors have to be able to buy fuel, but that's about it. There are some newer models on the market that are solar powered, as well. So it's entirely possible to be a neurodonor and then go mostly live as the animal you became. I'm considering the idea of engines that can handle organic material, meaning a neurodonor could hunt and exist outside of society. They do need to get repairs occasionally, and sometimes health checks (a neurodonor can get brain cancer and mental illnesses just like a human). But for the most part, being a neurodonor offers a lot of freedom from the constrains of human life. It's a lot cheaper to buy fuel occasionally than to buy food, housing, clothes, etc of being a human. ----- Thanks for the questions, I really liked getting to answer them and think through them! @Lonin
Quote:
There's definitely a minimum size-- you have to be at least the size of a human brain. You don't need any other organs, just your brain. So the smallest you can get is like, a rabbit.

The maximum size is pretty much just limited by your money-- while some of the more generic neurodonor bodies are mass-produced (wolves, horses, large birds, generic humans), but if you were filthy stinking rich I'm sure you could afford to get a blue-whale body built. I haven't really thought about that, because I figured the number of people who are both 1) extremely wealthy, and 2) interested in becoming a huge animal is fairly small. As long as you have four limbs, there isn't really an upper bound on the size as long as you can afford it.
Quote:
We can see a lot of people regretting it if the process isn't reversible.
You can never go back to an organic human body, but you could move to an android body. Androids don't pass as humans (the art style of the world is dieselpunk) but they at least have full functionality. That is, of course, if you can afford to buy one. Generic human bodies aren't too expensive, they're like a couple thousand, but fancy custom ones can get pretty pricey.

Since neurodonors also happen because people are trying to escape debts (human bodies sell for quite a lot because of the organs), and a basic like, wolf neurodonor is cheaper than they sell their human body for, so they make a profit and can pay down those debts. But that also means they do it out of desperation. So there are a lot of neurodonors who regret their choice. Because while they can connect robotic parts to a human body without issue, they can't connect human parts to each other very easily.
Quote:
Being an animal sounds cool at first but it'd probably drive people crazy not being able to do basic human things like speak/properly communicate, manipulate objects, live inside etc.
All neurodonor bodies come equipped with the ability to talk, unless you specifically avoid it. So that's not an issue. But as for manipulation; you're absolutely correct. But most people adapt and try to look on the bright side; they do have a lot more, different abilities because of their bodies. A horse neurodonor is stronger and faster than any human could ever dream. So it's just a tradeoff.
Quote:
Would a horse neurodonor live with real horses or other robot ones?
Neurodonors don't smell or produce waste like their organic counter parts. They produce exhaust like cars (again, dieselpunk), so the larger ones have trouble operating inside but there's no reason they can't sleep inside. They are loud though. I imagine they'd have to have specific places, but there's nothing stopping them from just sleeping outside. They don't feel uncomfortable like organics do, so long as they're protected from rain (they will rust).

Honestly I hadn't considered the sleeping arrangements, I'll have to think more about that. Thanks!
Quote:
If they'd do the same jobs as the animal they are would they still be treated like a human?

They can talk and they retain their human intelligence, so they are for the most part treated like humans. They still demand a wage, basic respect, etc. Non-human sentients demanding respect and equality is a theme throughout the story, and how different people react to them. They're treated like any blue collar worker; not always with the most respect. There's also some stigma around them because a lot of people cannot understand why someone would want to be an animal. So at their worst, neurodonors face the worst of what blue collar workers and furries face.
Quote:
What if they were a wild animal or one without a specific job?
Neurodonors have to be able to buy fuel, but that's about it. There are some newer models on the market that are solar powered, as well. So it's entirely possible to be a neurodonor and then go mostly live as the animal you became. I'm considering the idea of engines that can handle organic material, meaning a neurodonor could hunt and exist outside of society. They do need to get repairs occasionally, and sometimes health checks (a neurodonor can get brain cancer and mental illnesses just like a human).

But for the most part, being a neurodonor offers a lot of freedom from the constrains of human life. It's a lot cheaper to buy fuel occasionally than to buy food, housing, clothes, etc of being a human.

Thanks for the questions, I really liked getting to answer them and think through them! @Lonin
-
[quote]This is such a neat idea! Really unique as well.[/quote] Thanks! [quote]I bet something like that would be popular with people who are getting on in years, and people who have permanent/terminal illnesses. Of course their bodies wouldn't be in 100% perfect condition, but most illnesses only affect certain portions of the body so I bet it'd still be viable. It would give people who don't have long to live a way to remain as part of the world. Or even give people who have severe mobility issues a way to escape that, even if it would come as a big sacrifice.[/quote] Yep; in my world, the maximum age is as old as your brain can live. Of course, there aren't that many experiments on this, [url=https://www.livescience.com/27423-brain-cells-outlive-bodies.html]the most prominent is one done on mice, where the brain cells lived twice as long as their hosts[/url]. I'm pretty much just using this, and putting the maximum age of a brain at around 200 years. Of course, brains can also get afflicted by various [url=https://medlineplus.gov/degenerativenervediseases.html]degenerative diseases[/url], and those can cut down on lifespan dramatically without being very treatable. I'm still fleshing that out, but as long as you don't have a neurodegenerative disease you can live to around 200. The very richest people buy [i]very nice[/i] android bodies and live like they're 25 for hundreds of years. Additionally, the neurodonor electronics plug into the brain stem, so as long as that remains undamaged the brain can control the body. That allows people with spine injuries to regain the ability to walk if they move to a robotic body. [quote]Then there's that small population of species dysphoric people that would do it just because it feels right. I'm a therian, but honestly I'm not 100% sure I would do it right away... I'd probably live out as much of my human life as I want, then become a donor. I lowkey wish this were a real thing now... science please.[/quote] I had that in mind! That's why the second question on the survey asks about furries/otherkin, because I felt like that would be the largest sector that would go for it. It hadn't occurred to me that people would do it as an end-of-life thing, but it makes complete sense. Because as long as you take care of your brain, switching to a robotic body in your 70s would give you an additional possible hundred years of good life. I'm glad you think it's neat! [quote]If you ever need a proofreader or anything feel free to PM me! :o[/quote] Will do! I'm still heavily into the drafting stages, and I'm fleshing out the world. I'll keep you in mind once I finish a first draft though, thanks! @Charias
Quote:
Thanks!
Quote:
Yep; in my world, the maximum age is as old as your brain can live. Of course, there aren't that many experiments on this, the most prominent is one done on mice, where the brain cells lived twice as long as their hosts. I'm pretty much just using this, and putting the maximum age of a brain at around 200 years. Of course, brains can also get afflicted by various degenerative diseases, and those can cut down on lifespan dramatically without being very treatable. I'm still fleshing that out, but as long as you don't have a neurodegenerative disease you can live to around 200. The very richest people buy very nice android bodies and live like they're 25 for hundreds of years.

Additionally, the neurodonor electronics plug into the brain stem, so as long as that remains undamaged the brain can control the body. That allows people with spine injuries to regain the ability to walk if they move to a robotic body.
Quote:
I had that in mind! That's why the second question on the survey asks about furries/otherkin, because I felt like that would be the largest sector that would go for it. It hadn't occurred to me that people would do it as an end-of-life thing, but it makes complete sense. Because as long as you take care of your brain, switching to a robotic body in your 70s would give you an additional possible hundred years of good life. I'm glad you think it's neat!
Quote:
Will do! I'm still heavily into the drafting stages, and I'm fleshing out the world. I'll keep you in mind once I finish a first draft though, thanks! @Charias

-
I'm gonna answer some questions from the survey here: [quote]Because I would go full-android (for the disease and injury immunity) I might actually try out some of the animal bodies, it might actually be semi-useful. Put my android body on my horse body, swap the brain, run somewhere, then swap it back. Not a very efficient thing to do. (You know, cars, and I'm assuming I can just plug my brain into the horse or something.) But it would be really neat.[/quote] You can move between robotic bodies, but it's not easy. It's major surgery, because they have to plug your new body into your brain. Most people only change robotic bodies if they're upgrading. [quote]Wouldn't permamently go robo-animal though, there is no point if I can just be a human but better. Also if more efficient humanoid bodies exist, improved 6 thumb hands or something, I'd totally default to that.[/quote] Yes cyborg parts exist, but not advanced organic bodies. If you wanted "6 thumb hands" you have to cut off your hand and replace it with a robotic one. [quote]Are there any advantages or disadvantages to being an android? Aside from being "noticeably not human"? Is being an android only cosmetic, or does it come with some perks or other attributes? [/quote] Advantages Android bodies are generally much faster and stronger than organic human bodies. They do not need food or water, only fuel, which is generally much less expensive. They don't need to sleep. Some androids with electric engines need to recharge, which is essentially sleeping, but only takes around an hour or two as opposed to eight. Combustion engine androids do not need to sleep. Disadvantages You lose a significant amount of dexterity when you move to a robotic body, unless you've purchased a very expensive model. You're loud. Electric engines are quieter than combustion engines, but most neurodonors and androids use internal combustion engines. Additionally, combustion engines produce CO2 exhuast, which can be very dangerous in enclosed spaces with other humans. Distrust. People distrust androids even more than they distrust Axioms. Androids are seen as haughty, and too good for the organic form. They're also seen as living weapons, and people are wary of them as they would be a human walking around with a loaded gun. [quote]In terms of the robotic animals, in this society, is animal cruelty a thing?[/quote] I mean, yes. If you beat the heck out of a neurodonor, that's like beating up a human. There's still a human brain in there. [quote]Are people who become animals seen as lesser or inferior in any ways? [/quote] Neurodonors are treated the worst of both blue collar workers and furries. Especially if the neurodonor has a noticeably cheap model, people assume they did it out of desperation. They're seen as lazy, because they chose this "easier" life, rather than go through the struggles required of a human. It's also seen as taboo, because humans shouldn't want to be animals. It also goes against many of the major religions. Any religion with that values virginity / bodily purity will see neurodonors as a blasphemous profanity. It's how religions see tattoos and prostitutes, but taken up to eleven. Neurodonors are hellbound, and there's no saving them because there's no way to go back to an organic body. Depending on how liberal they are, some families would rather pretend you died than admit you became a neurodonor. Others will say you're confused, and pressure you to move to an android body. [quote]Are they treated worse than actual animals?[/quote] Definitely not, they can still talk and they're still just as smart as they were. They're treated better than animals. They can control where they poop lol, so they are usually allowed inside. [quote]Is it a taboo to mention family members or friends who decided to go that route?[/quote] Imagine you were a [b]very[/b] open furry. You have a twitter dedicated to your fursona and you make art all the time. Everyone knows you're a furry within five minutes of meeting you. That's how family members feel about having neurodonor members. Some are totally cool with it; "you do you" sort of thing. Others think it's disgusting and morally reprehensible. There's certainly no "society-wide" opinion. [quote]Would people go to extreme lengths to hide the fact that a family member became an animal? Or is everyone relatively accepting, and just views the option as eccentricity?[/quote] Families who really disagree with the concept of neurodonors will just say you died. [quote]What are the life expectations of androids and animals?[/quote] About 200 years. That's how long your brain can live. [quote]Would they be able to independently care for themselves as if they were a regular adult, or are they forced to be dependent on someone?[/quote] They need to go to mechanics to get tune ups and fixes, like a human going to the doctor, but they can still operate independently for the most part. [quote]If an animal is no longer able to perform their job, are they put down?[/quote] This one is a bit vague. If your body breaks and you can't pay for a fix, then you can either a) go horribly into debt buying a new one, or b) die. it's just like getting horribly sick in any country without socialized health care (cough USA cough) [quote]Do robotics/androids/animals face any discrimination for not being human? [/quote] Yes [quote]How would that affect their lives? [/quote] They live totally different lives than they did as humans. [quote]Is their life expectancy shorter, similar, or longer than humans?[/quote] Longer, because the brain can outlive the body. [quote]Are there any instances of people regretting their decision[/quote] yes [quote]are they able to undo it?[/quote] no. you can move to an android body, but you can never go back to an organic body.
I'm gonna answer some questions from the survey here:
Quote:
Because I would go full-android (for the disease and injury immunity) I might actually try out some of the animal bodies, it might actually be semi-useful. Put my android body on my horse body, swap the brain, run somewhere, then swap it back. Not a very efficient thing to do. (You know, cars, and I'm assuming I can just plug my brain into the horse or something.) But it would be really neat.
You can move between robotic bodies, but it's not easy. It's major surgery, because they have to plug your new body into your brain. Most people only change robotic bodies if they're upgrading.
Quote:
Wouldn't permamently go robo-animal though, there is no point if I can just be a human but better. Also if more efficient humanoid bodies exist, improved 6 thumb hands or something, I'd totally default to that.
Yes cyborg parts exist, but not advanced organic bodies. If you wanted "6 thumb hands" you have to cut off your hand and replace it with a robotic one.
Quote:
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to being an android? Aside from being "noticeably not human"? Is being an android only cosmetic, or does it come with some perks or other attributes?
Advantages
Android bodies are generally much faster and stronger than organic human bodies. They do not need food or water, only fuel, which is generally much less expensive.

They don't need to sleep. Some androids with electric engines need to recharge, which is essentially sleeping, but only takes around an hour or two as opposed to eight. Combustion engine androids do not need to sleep.

Disadvantages
You lose a significant amount of dexterity when you move to a robotic body, unless you've purchased a very expensive model.

You're loud. Electric engines are quieter than combustion engines, but most neurodonors and androids use internal combustion engines. Additionally, combustion engines produce CO2 exhuast, which can be very dangerous in enclosed spaces with other humans.

Distrust. People distrust androids even more than they distrust Axioms. Androids are seen as haughty, and too good for the organic form. They're also seen as living weapons, and people are wary of them as they would be a human walking around with a loaded gun.
Quote:
In terms of the robotic animals, in this society, is animal cruelty a thing?
I mean, yes. If you beat the heck out of a neurodonor, that's like beating up a human. There's still a human brain in there.
Quote:
Are people who become animals seen as lesser or inferior in any ways?
Neurodonors are treated the worst of both blue collar workers and furries. Especially if the neurodonor has a noticeably cheap model, people assume they did it out of desperation. They're seen as lazy, because they chose this "easier" life, rather than go through the struggles required of a human. It's also seen as taboo, because humans shouldn't want to be animals.

It also goes against many of the major religions. Any religion with that values virginity / bodily purity will see neurodonors as a blasphemous profanity. It's how religions see tattoos and prostitutes, but taken up to eleven. Neurodonors are hellbound, and there's no saving them because there's no way to go back to an organic body.

Depending on how liberal they are, some families would rather pretend you died than admit you became a neurodonor. Others will say you're confused, and pressure you to move to an android body.
Quote:
Are they treated worse than actual animals?
Definitely not, they can still talk and they're still just as smart as they were. They're treated better than animals. They can control where they poop lol, so they are usually allowed inside.
Quote:
Is it a taboo to mention family members or friends who decided to go that route?
Imagine you were a very open furry. You have a twitter dedicated to your fursona and you make art all the time. Everyone knows you're a furry within five minutes of meeting you. That's how family members feel about having neurodonor members. Some are totally cool with it; "you do you" sort of thing. Others think it's disgusting and morally reprehensible. There's certainly no "society-wide" opinion.
Quote:
Would people go to extreme lengths to hide the fact that a family member became an animal? Or is everyone relatively accepting, and just views the option as eccentricity?
Families who really disagree with the concept of neurodonors will just say you died.
Quote:
What are the life expectations of androids and animals?
About 200 years. That's how long your brain can live.
Quote:
Would they be able to independently care for themselves as if they were a regular adult, or are they forced to be dependent on someone?
They need to go to mechanics to get tune ups and fixes, like a human going to the doctor, but they can still operate independently for the most part.
Quote:
If an animal is no longer able to perform their job, are they put down?
This one is a bit vague. If your body breaks and you can't pay for a fix, then you can either a) go horribly into debt buying a new one, or b) die. it's just like getting horribly sick in any country without socialized health care (cough USA cough)
Quote:
Do robotics/androids/animals face any discrimination for not being human?
Yes
Quote:
How would that affect their lives?
They live totally different lives than they did as humans.
Quote:
Is their life expectancy shorter, similar, or longer than humans?
Longer, because the brain can outlive the body.
Quote:
Are there any instances of people regretting their decision
yes
Quote:
are they able to undo it?
no. you can move to an android body, but you can never go back to an organic body.
-