Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | School Stories
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="DirtyGuts" date="2016-05-03 12:12:09" ] In 8th grade me, and 4 of my friends would take spoon fulls of mashed potatoes and we would fling them onto the ceiling and made them stick lmao. And that year while i was in the library some kid threw a pencil at the ceiling and it stuck [/quote] Oh boy, speaking of throwing things at ceilings... Last year the someone on our fencing team bought an entire box of little tiny rubber babies and started selling them to people on the team, two dollars a baby. Fast forward a few hours and someone finds out that when the babies are thrown at a flat surface, they stick. There are now babies stuck to every wall and table in the cafeteria (where we wait before practice for the coaches to arrive, [s]without supervisors[/s]) and also a few on the ceiling. One of the ceiling babies is proving very difficult to remove. People were throwing things at it, jumping off tables while trying to grab it, but nothing worked. Eventually the coaches arrive and we need to leave the cafeteria with a rubber baby stuck to the ceiling. When we come back TWO HOURS LATER the baby is still there. And still no one can remove it. One of the seniors takes out his fencing blade, stands on the table, and starts stabbing it at the ceiling tiles desperately trying to dislodge the baby before someone else finds it. You'd think that would get it, but nope. It STILL DOESN'T COME DOWN, THE THING IS LIKE CEMENT STUCK ON THERE We need to leave the cafeteria after about 15 minutes of smacking the baby with the fencing blade because the school needs to close. (Our practice ends at like 7 pm) So we are once again forced to abandon ceiling-baby as we go home. After the first period of the next day, one of the members of the team came back to the now-empty cafeteria to try and find the baby, but it's gone, not on the floor either. Which means that either A) Some poor janitor walked in and found a baby stuck to the ceiling, or B) Some unfortunate soul during first period was finding their own business in the cafeteria when they were suddenly bombarded with a rubber baby falling on them from above. Moral of the story: Never throw babies at the ceiling. @Badluck
DirtyGuts wrote on 2016-05-03 12:12:09:
In 8th grade me, and 4 of my friends would take spoon fulls of mashed potatoes and we would fling them onto the ceiling and made them stick lmao.

And that year while i was in the library some kid threw a pencil at the ceiling and it stuck

Oh boy, speaking of throwing things at ceilings...

Last year the someone on our fencing team bought an entire box of little tiny rubber babies and started selling them to people on the team, two dollars a baby. Fast forward a few hours and someone finds out that when the babies are thrown at a flat surface, they stick. There are now babies stuck to every wall and table in the cafeteria (where we wait before practice for the coaches to arrive, without supervisors) and also a few on the ceiling.

One of the ceiling babies is proving very difficult to remove. People were throwing things at it, jumping off tables while trying to grab it, but nothing worked. Eventually the coaches arrive and we need to leave the cafeteria with a rubber baby stuck to the ceiling.

When we come back TWO HOURS LATER the baby is still there. And still no one can remove it. One of the seniors takes out his fencing blade, stands on the table, and starts stabbing it at the ceiling tiles desperately trying to dislodge the baby before someone else finds it. You'd think that would get it, but nope. It STILL DOESN'T COME DOWN, THE THING IS LIKE CEMENT STUCK ON THERE

We need to leave the cafeteria after about 15 minutes of smacking the baby with the fencing blade because the school needs to close. (Our practice ends at like 7 pm) So we are once again forced to abandon ceiling-baby as we go home.

After the first period of the next day, one of the members of the team came back to the now-empty cafeteria to try and find the baby, but it's gone, not on the floor either. Which means that either A) Some poor janitor walked in and found a baby stuck to the ceiling, or B) Some unfortunate soul during first period was finding their own business in the cafeteria when they were suddenly bombarded with a rubber baby falling on them from above.

Moral of the story: Never throw babies at the ceiling.

@Badluck
trico_sprite_small.png
?VS8ts=platform.png
A couple of funny ones from high school/college:

In sophomore year of high school, I took a ground school class, and the teacher for that had a really bad time staying on topic. I think I learned more about his flying stories and favorite airports to fly into (there was one that had a good pie restaurant near it, and another that was right next to a campground) than what I would have needed to pass the ground school test. I think I only passed by doing all of my studying outside of class.

One of my calculus teachers had a stuffed bus that he would throw at people who he wanted to answer questions (the bus wasn't very hard). He called it "throwing you under the Calculus bus".

For their senior prank, the class a year ahead of me managed to get a car into my school's lobby. I have no idea how they did it, since the doors don't seem big enough.

My school was a STEM themed school, so we only had one art class. It was taught by the Chemistry teacher (and although I never took it, I heard it wasn't all that bad). This Chemistry teacher was also the speech and debate coach, and a couple of years ago I heard he retired from teaching to open up a food truck in Hawaii.

In general, since my school was supposed to be aviation-themed, and the teachers themselves had varying interest in the topic, some times the connections seemed very awkward and forced. Particular ones of note (from some particularly self-aware teachers) were one time my chemistry teacher said that the p orbital looked like a propeller, and one of my math teachers often saying "arbitrary aviation connection of the day" when stuff like that came up.

This technically happened when I was touring the school, but I figure it counts since I would end up having this professor for like four classes. When I was touring the university I go to now, I was encouraged by the head of the physics department to talk to some of the students hanging out around the department lobby. One of them recommended a particular professor, so my parents and I decided to meet her. Since I had heard that she had done research at Los Alamos, I asked her what kind of work she did there. She replied, in a complete deadpan, "I made bombs." It took my parents and I like ten seconds to realize she was joking.

There was another professor that I had in college who would occasionally go off on tangents about the research he had done in Antarctica. (Usually aided and abetted by the students) One time, he actually brought in a video of them trying to launch a balloon there while the wind was blowing really hard. It was quite amusing. Also, he liked to wear this one fluorescent striped hat that many people in my class compared to a traffic cone, and when my parents saw his picture on the department website, they thought he looked like he could be a drummer for a band.

There's this one guy in most of my physics classes (the department's pretty small, so pretty much everyone in a given year has the same sections for core classes) who goes down each row of desks and gives everyone a fistbump before major tests.

I met the person who would later become my roommate in my Calc 3 and Differential Equations classes, and we were probably a really funny pair to look at sitting next to each other. I'm a morning person, so I was very lively and always asking questions despite the class being an 8-AM. My roommate is decidedly not, and would always put her head on the table while she was taking notes. Despite this, we somehow became really good friends.

The same professor who made the "I made bombs" comment mentioned in class once that she tells people next to her on airplanes that she's a nuclear physicist to get them to stop trying to talk to her. Apparently it hasn't ever backfired on her.
A couple of funny ones from high school/college:

In sophomore year of high school, I took a ground school class, and the teacher for that had a really bad time staying on topic. I think I learned more about his flying stories and favorite airports to fly into (there was one that had a good pie restaurant near it, and another that was right next to a campground) than what I would have needed to pass the ground school test. I think I only passed by doing all of my studying outside of class.

One of my calculus teachers had a stuffed bus that he would throw at people who he wanted to answer questions (the bus wasn't very hard). He called it "throwing you under the Calculus bus".

For their senior prank, the class a year ahead of me managed to get a car into my school's lobby. I have no idea how they did it, since the doors don't seem big enough.

My school was a STEM themed school, so we only had one art class. It was taught by the Chemistry teacher (and although I never took it, I heard it wasn't all that bad). This Chemistry teacher was also the speech and debate coach, and a couple of years ago I heard he retired from teaching to open up a food truck in Hawaii.

In general, since my school was supposed to be aviation-themed, and the teachers themselves had varying interest in the topic, some times the connections seemed very awkward and forced. Particular ones of note (from some particularly self-aware teachers) were one time my chemistry teacher said that the p orbital looked like a propeller, and one of my math teachers often saying "arbitrary aviation connection of the day" when stuff like that came up.

This technically happened when I was touring the school, but I figure it counts since I would end up having this professor for like four classes. When I was touring the university I go to now, I was encouraged by the head of the physics department to talk to some of the students hanging out around the department lobby. One of them recommended a particular professor, so my parents and I decided to meet her. Since I had heard that she had done research at Los Alamos, I asked her what kind of work she did there. She replied, in a complete deadpan, "I made bombs." It took my parents and I like ten seconds to realize she was joking.

There was another professor that I had in college who would occasionally go off on tangents about the research he had done in Antarctica. (Usually aided and abetted by the students) One time, he actually brought in a video of them trying to launch a balloon there while the wind was blowing really hard. It was quite amusing. Also, he liked to wear this one fluorescent striped hat that many people in my class compared to a traffic cone, and when my parents saw his picture on the department website, they thought he looked like he could be a drummer for a band.

There's this one guy in most of my physics classes (the department's pretty small, so pretty much everyone in a given year has the same sections for core classes) who goes down each row of desks and gives everyone a fistbump before major tests.

I met the person who would later become my roommate in my Calc 3 and Differential Equations classes, and we were probably a really funny pair to look at sitting next to each other. I'm a morning person, so I was very lively and always asking questions despite the class being an 8-AM. My roommate is decidedly not, and would always put her head on the table while she was taking notes. Despite this, we somehow became really good friends.

The same professor who made the "I made bombs" comment mentioned in class once that she tells people next to her on airplanes that she's a nuclear physicist to get them to stop trying to talk to her. Apparently it hasn't ever backfired on her.
Alright so this one kid reaallly didnt like me for some reason, so she tried to spread a rumor that I was gay (she thought it was bad??? lmao)
the problem is, everyone already knows im pan

also i stabbed my crush in the leg with a pencil once
Alright so this one kid reaallly didnt like me for some reason, so she tried to spread a rumor that I was gay (she thought it was bad??? lmao)
the problem is, everyone already knows im pan

also i stabbed my crush in the leg with a pencil once
Oh, but can't you feel it?! The void, it's calling me- Calling all of us! It wants to eat our souls, so that we never ascend to the heavens, it wants to absorb us! It needs sustenance, so that it may expand and envelop this whole useless world! All that muck and grime, the ooze, it will fill every crevice of reality, and it will change the world into a paradise! All you have to do is live to see it!
And why aren't I scared? Because the void is the afterlife, and I am its Grim Reaper!
Homeschooling story: I was part of a robotics club and one year, we made a self-driving bus out of Lego Mindstorm sets and took it all the way to the world championship. We didn't win, but I still got to travel out-of-state, so that was pretty fun!

I didn't go to high school, so college was a huge new opportunity for me. I've made some lasting friendships and found my passion for geology! My geo prof is a Norwegian noblewoman who moved to America, got a dual citizenship, and married a Canadian man. She is insanely fun to hang around, always got a fun story to tell about her adventures in the field or her childhood. She also has literal gigabytes of photos from vacations and field studies.
Homeschooling story: I was part of a robotics club and one year, we made a self-driving bus out of Lego Mindstorm sets and took it all the way to the world championship. We didn't win, but I still got to travel out-of-state, so that was pretty fun!

I didn't go to high school, so college was a huge new opportunity for me. I've made some lasting friendships and found my passion for geology! My geo prof is a Norwegian noblewoman who moved to America, got a dual citizenship, and married a Canadian man. She is insanely fun to hang around, always got a fun story to tell about her adventures in the field or her childhood. She also has literal gigabytes of photos from vacations and field studies.
So, in my 7th grade music class, there was no teacher. Yeah, no teacher. Not even a substitute teacher. So for like 10 or so minutes we just messing around, keeping the lights off and stuff like that. Eventually, one of the 8th grade teachers came and took us down to his classroom for the rest of the period.

In 7th grade health class, there's this one kid I liked. So, I messed with him by asking if he did his homework and stuff like that. Later in the year, I gave him a joke award for not coming to something. I gave him about three more of those awards. At the end of the year, though I gave him an apology award for being awesome ^^.

I also know a person who licked play-dough last year for no apparent reason. (Don't question why we had play-dough, it'll be a little hard to explain)
So, in my 7th grade music class, there was no teacher. Yeah, no teacher. Not even a substitute teacher. So for like 10 or so minutes we just messing around, keeping the lights off and stuff like that. Eventually, one of the 8th grade teachers came and took us down to his classroom for the rest of the period.

In 7th grade health class, there's this one kid I liked. So, I messed with him by asking if he did his homework and stuff like that. Later in the year, I gave him a joke award for not coming to something. I gave him about three more of those awards. At the end of the year, though I gave him an apology award for being awesome ^^.

I also know a person who licked play-dough last year for no apparent reason. (Don't question why we had play-dough, it'll be a little hard to explain)
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
1 2 3 4 5