Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Astronomy Club!
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 76 77
@Chronosplit

It's great that you live with darker skies!! You can see the Milky Way? Also, cheap isn't necessarily bad, what kind of telescope is it?

Clear Skies!
@Chronosplit

It's great that you live with darker skies!! You can see the Milky Way? Also, cheap isn't necessarily bad, what kind of telescope is it?

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon Well then, if you don't mind some non-original photos, here is one from our good friend Hubble! [img]http://i.imgur.com/GaJZm9o.jpg[/img] This is a protoplanetary nebula in Monoceros named, fittingly, the Red Rectangle Nebula. There is a binary system at its heart, but it is not directly visible. The most likely explanation for its unusual shape is that a ring of dust around the central system pinched together the normally spherical emission in the middle. The X shape, then, is us seeing the two resulting lobes from the side. About the Lagoon Nebula - I remember seeing some differences in brightness over its surface area but I don't believe I directly saw the dust lane.
@ZannaDragon

Well then, if you don't mind some non-original photos, here is one from our good friend Hubble!

GaJZm9o.jpg

This is a protoplanetary nebula in Monoceros named, fittingly, the Red Rectangle Nebula. There is a binary system at its heart, but it is not directly visible.
The most likely explanation for its unusual shape is that a ring of dust around the central system pinched together the normally spherical emission in the middle. The X shape, then, is us seeing the two resulting lobes from the side.

About the Lagoon Nebula - I remember seeing some differences in brightness over its surface area but I don't believe I directly saw the dust lane.
THE ILLNESS WILL BRING YOU PEACE.
SERENITY IS BORN FROM CERTAINTY AND YOUR SUFFERING IS CERTAIN.
@Nekron

Oh yeah, that's a good one! I'll go ahead and add it right now. It's really fascinating, the varieties of planetary nebulae caused by binary systems and dust! I was about to use the Cat's Eye Nebula as an example, but looking it up now it seems the companion star is only a theory for for explaining the chain of outbursts, and that a cycle of stellar outbursts is the real reason for the nebula! You learn something new every day :)

Ok, I just wondered :) I have seen the Lagoon once from where I am, but it was just a misty vaguely-oval shaped patch. Not that that's not what most nebula look like, anyhow :) I had been hoping to see some brightness variations like I can see very well in the Orion Nebula, but the Lagoon was just too far south, and close to city lights.

Clear Skies!
@Nekron

Oh yeah, that's a good one! I'll go ahead and add it right now. It's really fascinating, the varieties of planetary nebulae caused by binary systems and dust! I was about to use the Cat's Eye Nebula as an example, but looking it up now it seems the companion star is only a theory for for explaining the chain of outbursts, and that a cycle of stellar outbursts is the real reason for the nebula! You learn something new every day :)

Ok, I just wondered :) I have seen the Lagoon once from where I am, but it was just a misty vaguely-oval shaped patch. Not that that's not what most nebula look like, anyhow :) I had been hoping to see some brightness variations like I can see very well in the Orion Nebula, but the Lagoon was just too far south, and close to city lights.

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon @nathan8rr @Planets @souphands @Exterreri @Cosmological @PoemsOfLou @Finian @deputykuriboh @Reltseo @limeypie @DigDog @Amee @Shadowspirit @roboticspace @Catcats @Razzledazzy @NightFire102 @cosmicpoppies @Linoone @Paperdragon337 @SteampunkDragon @Zues @Erock @TheMageLemon245 @Nekron @Novaturen @Chronosplit @GrimdarkRoxy @MagicStar ------ [center][size=5][color=red][b]Calling on Featured Image submissions![/b][/color][/size] We need submissions! Images don't have to be taken through a telescope. Have a sunrise photo with planets visible? A photo of the moon? A photo of astronomical equipment, or a pic from a trip to an observatory? We'll even take cool images you found online! As long as it's astronomy related, submit it![/center] [quote][center][size=7][b]New Featured Image[/b][/size] [size=4][b]Click on image for hi-res version[/b][/size][/center] [url=http://i.imgur.com/GaJZm9o.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/GaJZm9o.jpg[/img][/url] HD 44179, the Red Rectangle Nebula. Taken by the Hubble Space Telescope.[size=2](submitted by @Nekron)[/size] [b]Notes:[/b] The Red Rectangle is a planetary nebula in the constellation Monoceros. Its strange apparent shape comes about because of a thick ring of dust around the star, pinching what would otherwise be a spherical nebula into two cones connecting at the star. We see this edge on, creating the appearance of an angular shape. APOD: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130521.html [/quote] Clear Skies everybody!
@ZannaDragon @nathan8rr @Planets @souphands @Exterreri @Cosmological @PoemsOfLou @Finian @deputykuriboh @Reltseo @limeypie @DigDog @Amee @Shadowspirit @roboticspace @Catcats @Razzledazzy @NightFire102 @cosmicpoppies @Linoone @Paperdragon337 @SteampunkDragon @Zues @Erock @TheMageLemon245 @Nekron @Novaturen @Chronosplit @GrimdarkRoxy @MagicStar

Calling on Featured Image submissions!
We need submissions! Images don't have to be taken through a telescope. Have a sunrise photo with planets visible? A photo of the moon? A photo of astronomical equipment, or a pic from a trip to an observatory? We'll even take cool images you found online! As long as it's astronomy related, submit it!

Quote:
New Featured Image
Click on image for hi-res version

GaJZm9o.jpg

HD 44179, the Red Rectangle Nebula. Taken by the Hubble Space Telescope.(submitted by @Nekron)

Notes:

The Red Rectangle is a planetary nebula in the constellation Monoceros. Its strange apparent shape comes about because of a thick ring of dust around the star, pinching what would otherwise be a spherical nebula into two cones connecting at the star. We see this edge on, creating the appearance of an angular shape.

APOD: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130521.html

Clear Skies everybody!
Yoooo!! What a cool shape!! Also have a dragon named Monoceros :D I thought her gembond looked like stars [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=882324] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/8824/882324_350.png[/img] [/url]
Yoooo!! What a cool shape!!
Also have a dragon named Monoceros :D I thought her gembond looked like stars

882324_350.png
K6TNbNL.pnggnd7XS8.pngKBrR3YL.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
Ooh, very cool!

Planetary nebulae are so interesting. There are so many factors that determine their size, shape, and coloring (though a good amount of the images we see are colored electronically). I really hope I can study the formation of nebulae like these in the future. Everything about it is just so cool. *u*
Ooh, very cool!

Planetary nebulae are so interesting. There are so many factors that determine their size, shape, and coloring (though a good amount of the images we see are colored electronically). I really hope I can study the formation of nebulae like these in the future. Everything about it is just so cool. *u*
tumblr_ozby7yUUVB1w8xkufo9_250.png
oh my!!!
oh my!!!
wj6EHY6.png __ vfUEUMi.png zLLQDMW.png oMDWJr6.png __
click a jar to donate to causes for free!

tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_r1_75sq.giftumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o2_75sq.giftumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif

@ZannaDragon
*comes in Quietly...* "May i join?"
@ZannaDragon
*comes in Quietly...* "May i join?"
1421_150px_starlight18_by_miirshroom-dbyz1qc.pngR3OpbRR.png
R3OpbRR.png[/img]
SuYkYP9.png
tumblr_op6tymvBq91wo8ivwo1_100.gif[/url]
tumblr_obcrybYghZ1tfzajgo1_r1_500.gif
@zannadragon

Can I be added as well? I love nebula pictures <3
@zannadragon

Can I be added as well? I love nebula pictures <3
lightvs1.png
Step forth, adventurous stranger in search of the unknown.
Fear not descending darkness, but remember the light that shone.
lightvs1.png
@souphands

Wow, she's cool! The gembond does look like stars!

@Cosmological

Yeah, they're awesome! One of the most exciting times in my personal observing was when I first spotted NGC 2392 (the Eskimo Nebula) in my scope. It was my first non-Messier NGC object!

@GhostQueen13

Absolutely! We're happy to have you. :)

@feming

Yep! We're glad to have you :) Astrophotos are beautiful, aren't they? Feel free to check out the past featured images, listed on the front page of the thread right below the current featured image and above the sky cam. You might also like to check out Astronomy Picture of the Day:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Clear Skies everybody!
@souphands

Wow, she's cool! The gembond does look like stars!

@Cosmological

Yeah, they're awesome! One of the most exciting times in my personal observing was when I first spotted NGC 2392 (the Eskimo Nebula) in my scope. It was my first non-Messier NGC object!

@GhostQueen13

Absolutely! We're happy to have you. :)

@feming

Yep! We're glad to have you :) Astrophotos are beautiful, aren't they? Feel free to check out the past featured images, listed on the front page of the thread right below the current featured image and above the sky cam. You might also like to check out Astronomy Picture of the Day:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Clear Skies everybody!
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 76 77