Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Heads up Patreon users! Scammer warning
When I checked my junk folder I noticed I had gotten some kind of amateurish blackmail a few hours earlier today.
Quote:
Unfortunately your data was leaked in the recent hacking of the Patreon web site and I now have your information. I have your tax id, tax forms, SSN, DOB, Name, Address, Credit card details and more sensitive data. Now, I can go ahead and leak your details online which would damage your credit score like hell and would create a lot of problems for you.

If you would like to prevent me from doing this then you need to send 1 bitcoin to the following BTC address.

Bitcoin Address:
1QAQTyhCzAfvp8uLpneBNamWTNRR1hx9Cp

You can buy bitcoins using online exchanges easily. The bitcoin address is unique to you. Sending bitcoin takes take, so you better get started right now, you have 48 hours in total.

The Patreon hack happened in late September, going by the time passed, my email address and the names on the other email addresses that this was sent to, it seems this person(s) have been sending the mail to people in alphabetical order in small batches (both mine and the other emails receiving this started with "h_").

This is almost certainly a hoax, as Patreon themselves made clear that the hacked information is only e-mail addresses, conversations and who you're supporting on Patreon. They specifically mentioned that credit card details etc. was not affected by the hack.

Do not send them the bitcoin (that thing costs over 300 USD).

Depending on what kind of IT-laws your country can boast you should probably notify law enforcement if you get an email like this.
When I checked my junk folder I noticed I had gotten some kind of amateurish blackmail a few hours earlier today.
Quote:
Unfortunately your data was leaked in the recent hacking of the Patreon web site and I now have your information. I have your tax id, tax forms, SSN, DOB, Name, Address, Credit card details and more sensitive data. Now, I can go ahead and leak your details online which would damage your credit score like hell and would create a lot of problems for you.

If you would like to prevent me from doing this then you need to send 1 bitcoin to the following BTC address.

Bitcoin Address:
1QAQTyhCzAfvp8uLpneBNamWTNRR1hx9Cp

You can buy bitcoins using online exchanges easily. The bitcoin address is unique to you. Sending bitcoin takes take, so you better get started right now, you have 48 hours in total.

The Patreon hack happened in late September, going by the time passed, my email address and the names on the other email addresses that this was sent to, it seems this person(s) have been sending the mail to people in alphabetical order in small batches (both mine and the other emails receiving this started with "h_").

This is almost certainly a hoax, as Patreon themselves made clear that the hacked information is only e-mail addresses, conversations and who you're supporting on Patreon. They specifically mentioned that credit card details etc. was not affected by the hack.

Do not send them the bitcoin (that thing costs over 300 USD).

Depending on what kind of IT-laws your country can boast you should probably notify law enforcement if you get an email like this.
Don't forget to ping me @Aryllia to get my attention.