General Discussion
Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Getting Technical about babies
I have a topic to discuss

At what point does a baby enter its first year? After three months of being out of the womb? (or four or three and a half depending on when the baby was born)

is there an official term for the babys life in a womb? Can you call it a baby year?

If there isnt can you coin the term and use it anyway?
I have a topic to discuss

At what point does a baby enter its first year? After three months of being out of the womb? (or four or three and a half depending on when the baby was born)

is there an official term for the babys life in a womb? Can you call it a baby year?

If there isnt can you coin the term and use it anyway?
@makotosfreckles In the womb you measure by weeks until it's born. After that, you start measuring a baby's age after it's birth! However, it's interesting to note that if your baby is very premature then the "milestones" of an infant's life may start later than normal because the poor thing wasn't through forming yet. For example, their sucking reflex may be underdeveloped or they may learn to walk a little later. :)

You can call it their gestation life and you generally refer to the trimesters - but if you want to make up your own term, I think that would be cute! ♥
@makotosfreckles In the womb you measure by weeks until it's born. After that, you start measuring a baby's age after it's birth! However, it's interesting to note that if your baby is very premature then the "milestones" of an infant's life may start later than normal because the poor thing wasn't through forming yet. For example, their sucking reflex may be underdeveloped or they may learn to walk a little later. :)

You can call it their gestation life and you generally refer to the trimesters - but if you want to make up your own term, I think that would be cute! ♥
tumblr_osqf0hIbW71t890oko1_500.png
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form. Submissions are viewed solely by the staff of Flight Rising, not the volunteer moderator group.
Gestation is counted from the start of the last menstrual cycle rather than actual conception because it is so difficult to pin down the exact date of conception.

One could start counting age from the quickening, that is, when the first kicks are felt. That is sometime in the second trimester, when over three months have passed.

It is typical to count age from birth, of course, but I figured you weren't asking about conventions since I assume you already know that.
Gestation is counted from the start of the last menstrual cycle rather than actual conception because it is so difficult to pin down the exact date of conception.

One could start counting age from the quickening, that is, when the first kicks are felt. That is sometime in the second trimester, when over three months have passed.

It is typical to count age from birth, of course, but I figured you weren't asking about conventions since I assume you already know that.
Sorrel
ze / zer / zerself
borb_2smol.pngtumblr_inline_n748cxxBuC1r6gsnp.gifcoatl_banner.pngtumblr_inline_n748cxxBuC1r6gsnp.gifborb_smol.png
Once the gametes join forces it goes blastoise, then zygote, then embryo, then fetus, then the fetus is born and becomes a baby. But during my pregnancy I've noted a lot of people start calling the fetus a baby before they're even born, probably because "fetus" is such a formal, medical term.
Once the gametes join forces it goes blastoise, then zygote, then embryo, then fetus, then the fetus is born and becomes a baby. But during my pregnancy I've noted a lot of people start calling the fetus a baby before they're even born, probably because "fetus" is such a formal, medical term.
Sorrel
ze / zer / zerself
borb_2smol.pngtumblr_inline_n748cxxBuC1r6gsnp.gifcoatl_banner.pngtumblr_inline_n748cxxBuC1r6gsnp.gifborb_smol.png
[quote name="Farrengold" date="2014-11-02 09:54:06"]Once the gametes join forces it goes blastoise, ...[/quote] [img]http://i.imgur.com/uVjoifu.jpg[/img]
Farrengold wrote on 2014-11-02 09:54:06:
Once the gametes join forces it goes blastoise, ...

uVjoifu.jpg