Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | surf's up! - a portal farming duo
[center]welcome, welcome. you may remember me from my last build, the icecrystal crusher, which i rarely even use outside of festivals anymore because it levels so slowly. i am not fixing that problem, because today, we're doing a farming or 1-fodder build. here's the catch: [i]the damage comes from a mage.[/i] well, mostly. introducing: [size=7][color=blue]SURF'S UP![/size][/color] surf's up! consists of a surfer (damage-dealing mage) and an upper (melee anticitank supporter.) stones are as follows. [columns][item=meditate]meditate contuse, drown, aid, reflect x3 scholar ambush, discipline [nextcol][item=anticipate]anticipate blazing slash/shred, guard, concentration, haste x3 obsidian hybrid fragment x2 ambush[/columns] you may be wondering why these choices are so ridiculous. [i]obsidian hybrid fragments?![/i] i promise, i can explain. it's for cost and defensive reasons. [columns][item=drown]your surfer should ideally be [b]water.[/b] water supereffects both bosses. additionally, 2 of its 3 weaknesses are covered by the upper, if you follow the elements down to a t.[nextcol][nextcol][item=blazing slash]your upper [b]MUST[/b] be [b]earth, fire, or plague[/b] and ideally [b]fire.[/b] fire covers water well defensively, and water covers fire well defensively too. fire is generally considered the best element for tanks in forbidden portal.[/columns] alright, alright. you may be looking for the statline. that's here. [columns][item=hydro bolt][b]133 int, 40 qck, 6 vit[/b] these stats are a mage's version of the shattered cannon build. 3 scholars and tincturing the surfer are necessary to reach these stats.[nextcol][item=flame bolt][b]92 str, 39 qck, 59 vit, 49 def, 12 mnd[/b] ok, i lied. eliminate isn't REQUIRED, but it is optional if you have one. 92 str 2-elims everything in forbidden portal, and 39 qck + lv 25 haste is enough to grant one free turn on all portal monsters. you should put the rest into bulk.[/columns] [columns][emoji=prismatic meditate size=1] pros: -very, VERY cheap! most expensive stones are ambush and haste. the rest is used so little or drops so commonly it can be found for only a couple gems on realmwide! -prioritizes sustainability. the surfer's aid gives the guarding upper a lot of health back, while preventing the surfer itself from being damaged! -it's 2-team, so you can drag a fodder dragon through forbidden portal and show them the horrors before exalting them! -also! red alert! this build can be used with the itonus 2-fodder mage as an extra supporter![nextcol][emoji=shred size=1] cons: -surfer is weak to lightning, which is not much of a problem, but upper is weak to shadow, which [i]is[/i] a massive problem, because void wyverns are shadow. -probably slower than the esoteric explorers. you could probably use an esoteric explorer fighter with the surfer, but it isn't optimized or tested. you'd probably need to sacrifice sap for guard to make esoteric explorer work with the surfer, but that comes at the cost of the explorer's partial independence in portal. -surf's up! only really works well in forbidden portal. golem workshop may be doable, but remains untested and theorycrafting needs to be done. water surfer + fire upper covers both boss elements, but lightning mages would be much more of a problem.[/columns] happy holidays, and happy farming!
welcome, welcome. you may remember me from my last build, the icecrystal crusher, which i rarely even use outside of festivals anymore because it levels so slowly. i am not fixing that problem, because today, we're doing a farming or 1-fodder build.
here's the catch:

the damage comes from a mage. well, mostly.

introducing:

SURF'S UP!

surf's up! consists of a surfer (damage-dealing mage) and an upper (melee anticitank supporter.)

stones are as follows.
Meditate meditate
contuse, drown, aid, reflect
x3 scholar
ambush, discipline
Anticipate anticipate
blazing slash/shred, guard, concentration, haste
x3 obsidian hybrid fragment
x2 ambush

you may be wondering why these choices are so ridiculous. obsidian hybrid fragments?! i promise, i can explain. it's for cost and defensive reasons.
Drown your surfer should ideally be water. water supereffects both bosses. additionally, 2 of its 3 weaknesses are covered by the upper, if you follow the elements down to a t. Blazing Slash your upper MUST be earth, fire, or plague and ideally fire. fire covers water well defensively, and water covers fire well defensively too. fire is generally considered the best element for tanks in forbidden portal.

alright, alright. you may be looking for the statline. that's here.
Hydro Bolt 133 int, 40 qck, 6 vit
these stats are a mage's version of the shattered cannon build. 3 scholars and tincturing the surfer are necessary to reach these stats.
Flame Bolt 92 str, 39 qck, 59 vit, 49 def, 12 mnd
ok, i lied. eliminate isn't REQUIRED, but it is optional if you have one. 92 str 2-elims everything in forbidden portal, and 39 qck + lv 25 haste is enough to grant one free turn on all portal monsters. you should put the rest into bulk.
pros:
-very, VERY cheap! most expensive stones are ambush and haste. the rest is used so little or drops so commonly it can be found for only a couple gems on realmwide!
-prioritizes sustainability. the surfer's aid gives the guarding upper a lot of health back, while preventing the surfer itself from being damaged!
-it's 2-team, so you can drag a fodder dragon through forbidden portal and show them the horrors before exalting them!
-also! red alert! this build can be used with the itonus 2-fodder mage as an extra supporter!
cons:
-surfer is weak to lightning, which is not much of a problem, but upper is weak to shadow, which is a massive problem, because void wyverns are shadow.
-probably slower than the esoteric explorers. you could probably use an esoteric explorer fighter with the surfer, but it isn't optimized or tested. you'd probably need to sacrifice sap for guard to make esoteric explorer work with the surfer, but that comes at the cost of the explorer's partial independence in portal.
-surf's up! only really works well in forbidden portal. golem workshop may be doable, but remains untested and theorycrafting needs to be done. water surfer + fire upper covers both boss elements, but lightning mages would be much more of a problem.

happy holidays, and happy farming!
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
art ^ skins ^ buying fod nests
res (please send testimonials)
res (please send testimonials)
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
Seems interesting. If I ever get the time, I might give it a try to see how well it does. Have you had problems with Guard failing and your surfer/mage dying?
Seems interesting. If I ever get the time, I might give it a try to see how well it does. Have you had problems with Guard failing and your surfer/mage dying?
Need a fodder trainer build? Try one of these:
Kelp Beds - Leviathan Leveler - 2 Fodder Trainer
GLR + Mire - Ghire Gorer - 2 Fodder
Mire - Mire Mauler - 2 Fodder
GLR - Ruin Wrecker - 2 Fodder Trainer
Boreal Wood- Boreal Banisher - 2 Fodder Trainer
Harpy's Roost - Roost Rustler - 2 Fodder Trainer
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
[quote name="Mohenjo" date="2022-11-21 06:44:02" ] Seems interesting. If I ever get the time, I might give it a try to see how well it does. Have you had problems with Guard failing and your surfer/mage dying? [/quote] i haven't had this problem that much. if anything, it's usually the upper that dies first because i generally put up guard before anticipate, and the surfer has a powerful aid that can bring itself back to full. i don't know if it can only take 1 or if it can take 2 scratches yet, but being able to survive 1 scratch is usually enough. guard isn't entirely reliable, but it's reliable enough to keep the surfer from dying every battle.
Mohenjo wrote on 2022-11-21 06:44:02:
i haven't had this problem that much. if anything, it's usually the upper that dies first because i generally put up guard before anticipate, and the surfer has a powerful aid that can bring itself back to full. i don't know if it can only take 1 or if it can take 2 scratches yet, but being able to survive 1 scratch is usually enough. guard isn't entirely reliable, but it's reliable enough to keep the surfer from dying every battle.
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
you may be wondering about that last pro point.

HOW DOES THIS WORK WITH A COMPLETELY UNRELATED DPS MAGE AS A SUPPORT?

easy! itonus build has the perfect mix of elemental synergy and toolkit to support the surfer even further and support the upper in situations the surfer cannot.

first of all, the itonus required stones are regeneration and haste. these alone are a massive asset to the team, which is why there is already a haste user. however, the upper is slow, and has to strategically choose the order you use your support stones.
with an itonus by your side, this is not as much of a problem. you can put the itonus in team slot 1 and haste your upper before they get their ambush turns, giving them enough time to use haste on the surfer, guard the surfer, and anticipate.
the itonus also helps the team later on! against mixed packs, having itonus's regeneration up with reflect helps to keep the upper from getting overwhelmed and leaving the surfer exposed.

itonus can be any element, but nature is favored due to its damage-over-time spell. its elemental typechart isn't important to this team, as everything nature can do on its own, water and fire do together. it also can't counter shadow.

i am aware of the possibility of an alternate version of this build using an arcane enfeebler support or shadow secondary surfer. there's a lot of options for that third slot. the itonus, however, already exists, so i am mentioning it as a ready-made third slot option if you don't want to train another dragon with surf's up! if you have a lot of builds on hand that you never use, like me.

reserved will be filled with optional third slot members as well as testimonials in due time. i will do research in the near future.
you may be wondering about that last pro point.

HOW DOES THIS WORK WITH A COMPLETELY UNRELATED DPS MAGE AS A SUPPORT?

easy! itonus build has the perfect mix of elemental synergy and toolkit to support the surfer even further and support the upper in situations the surfer cannot.

first of all, the itonus required stones are regeneration and haste. these alone are a massive asset to the team, which is why there is already a haste user. however, the upper is slow, and has to strategically choose the order you use your support stones.
with an itonus by your side, this is not as much of a problem. you can put the itonus in team slot 1 and haste your upper before they get their ambush turns, giving them enough time to use haste on the surfer, guard the surfer, and anticipate.
the itonus also helps the team later on! against mixed packs, having itonus's regeneration up with reflect helps to keep the upper from getting overwhelmed and leaving the surfer exposed.

itonus can be any element, but nature is favored due to its damage-over-time spell. its elemental typechart isn't important to this team, as everything nature can do on its own, water and fire do together. it also can't counter shadow.

i am aware of the possibility of an alternate version of this build using an arcane enfeebler support or shadow secondary surfer. there's a lot of options for that third slot. the itonus, however, already exists, so i am mentioning it as a ready-made third slot option if you don't want to train another dragon with surf's up! if you have a lot of builds on hand that you never use, like me.

reserved will be filled with optional third slot members as well as testimonials in due time. i will do research in the near future.
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
What is the Turn Order here? Like how do you set up the first round? And what positions do you put the mage and tank? Currently trying out the build and it looks like it’s best to have the mage in the top slot the tank in the middle and fodder in the bottom slot?
What is the Turn Order here? Like how do you set up the first round? And what positions do you put the mage and tank? Currently trying out the build and it looks like it’s best to have the mage in the top slot the tank in the middle and fodder in the bottom slot?
Seeking Gen1 Flaxen/Midnight,Steel-Abyss/Midnight,Steel-Abyss
KHOiAv3.pnglPpogfJ.pngxGzwQab.pngwsU1mG4.pngdO6FQIW.pnghrbqzip.png7ESWNLx.png7XPr7wW.pngTBH15GG.pngHGGhJuM.pngRYy3HXn.pngU4YPA7B.pngB5yHFLM.png

scribblesisonlydoodling.gif

Koi%20Signature_zpsphzlcqrx.png[/columns]v2.png

oc4pg8L.png

lightsmall3_by_lichtdrache-da7ztog.png

JscoHOG.png

SgonDOb.png
[quote name="Arrakis" date="2023-06-24 22:49:26" ] What is the Turn Order here? Like how do you set up the first round? And what positions do you put the mage and tank? Currently trying out the build and it looks like it’s best to have the mage in the top slot the tank in the middle and fodder in the bottom slot? [/quote] i think it probably is best to have the mage in the top slot. the turn order should be: surfer - meditate surfer - attack upper - guard upper - anticipate they only have 2 turns before the enemies move so you can probably worry about haste and concentration later.
Arrakis wrote on 2023-06-24 22:49:26:
i think it probably is best to have the mage in the top slot. the turn order should be:
surfer - meditate
surfer - attack
upper - guard
upper - anticipate

they only have 2 turns before the enemies move so you can probably worry about haste and concentration later.
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she