Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide]So You Want to Start a Hatchery 2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[center][size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182194]Decide on a Theme[/url]|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182307]Research[/url]|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182340]Make a Plan[/url]|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182374]Make Contacts[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182403]Buy Your First Breeders[/url]|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182505]Pricing[/url]|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182629]Name your Hatchery[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182700]Build Your Thread[/url]|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/1#post_40182753]Thread Titles[/url]|Sales|[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2735005/2#post_40182928]Resources Masterpost[/url][/size] ----- [size=4][b]Sales[/b][/size][/center] Broadly speaking, you can think of sales style in terms of [i]passive[/i] and [i]active[/i]. [b]Passive[/b] sales styles include things like just having (and bumping to the top of the forum) a Dragon Sales thread, and listing dragons on the Auction House. This style can work great for hatchery operation where a personal connection to your buyers isn't as important. It will work the best for exalt fodder factories. [b]Active[/b] sales are things like scouring the Dragons Wanted forum and posting your hatchlings in response, as well as keeping and using pinglists in your hatchery. This style is best for hatcheries that need a high level of personal connection with their buyers, such as role playing hatcheries. Many hatcheries employ both methods for the best results, but any approach can be a good one. It just depends on what works best for both your hatchery and your personal schedule. People who have more time to be online will benefit more from an Active style than those who cannot check in on FR several times a day. [b]Breeding and Hoarders Associations[/b] Breeding Associations can be found in the Dragon Sales forum. They are well worth the time spent seeking them out and applying to their member list. Hoarders Associations can be found in multiple places in the forums, as they don't always fit into a neat category. Associations have massive pinglists for you to reach dozens, sometimes hundreds, of potential customers. Most associations don't require your hatchery to specialize in their particular combination- only to have at least one pair that will breed whatever genes the association is dedicated to. This means that you can gain access to several associations even if they are not officially your "specialty." Many also allow you to post dragons for sale in their threads even if you're not a member, but I've personally found using their pinglists in your own hatchery thread is a little more effective. [center][b]Sales Etiquette[/b][/center] No one likes a pushy ad campaign. You want to be a good neighbor to the Flight Rising community in order to build up your brand's reputation. For starters, make sure you’re not violating any forum rules (such as having a bot bump your sales thread for you), or rules for the pinglists and breeding associations you are a part. In addition, please be mindful about the following: [list] [*]Do take time to read the rules for the large pinglists for breeding and hoarders associations, and abide by them [*]Do read the rules of someone's search thread and double check your post before suggesting a dragon- A well suggested dragon is more likely to clinch a sale [*]As an addendum to the above rule: [b]Do NOT[/b] just copy/paste your latest hatchlings into every single thread on the “Find a Dragon” forum without reading what the OP is looking for [*]Don’t post in someone’s searching thread more than once- unless you have something new to show them this time [*]Do remove dragons from the AH once you have a buyer secured and the haggling has begun. If the deal falls through you can always repost it [/list] [center][b]Resources for Sales[/b][/center] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1484992]Pinglist Usage Guide[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1464095]Breeders Associations and Selling Hubs Directory[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1969937]Hatchery Directory 4.0[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2575883]Registry Registry [Add Yours!][/url]

Broadly speaking, you can think of sales style in terms of passive and active.

Passive sales styles include things like just having (and bumping to the top of the forum) a Dragon Sales thread, and listing dragons on the Auction House. This style can work great for hatchery operation where a personal connection to your buyers isn't as important. It will work the best for exalt fodder factories.

Active sales are things like scouring the Dragons Wanted forum and posting your hatchlings in response, as well as keeping and using pinglists in your hatchery.
This style is best for hatcheries that need a high level of personal connection with their buyers, such as role playing hatcheries.

Many hatcheries employ both methods for the best results, but any approach can be a good one. It just depends on what works best for both your hatchery and your personal schedule. People who have more time to be online will benefit more from an Active style than those who cannot check in on FR several times a day.

Breeding and Hoarders Associations

Breeding Associations can be found in the Dragon Sales forum. They are well worth the time spent seeking them out and applying to their member list. Hoarders Associations can be found in multiple places in the forums, as they don't always fit into a neat category.

Associations have massive pinglists for you to reach dozens, sometimes hundreds, of potential customers. Most associations don't require your hatchery to specialize in their particular combination- only to have at least one pair that will breed whatever genes the association is dedicated to. This means that you can gain access to several associations even if they are not officially your "specialty."

Many also allow you to post dragons for sale in their threads even if you're not a member, but I've personally found using their pinglists in your own hatchery thread is a little more effective.

Sales Etiquette

No one likes a pushy ad campaign. You want to be a good neighbor to the Flight Rising community in order to build up your brand's reputation. For starters, make sure you’re not violating any forum rules (such as having a bot bump your sales thread for you), or rules for the pinglists and breeding associations you are a part. In addition, please be mindful about the following:
  • Do take time to read the rules for the large pinglists for breeding and hoarders associations, and abide by them
  • Do read the rules of someone's search thread and double check your post before suggesting a dragon- A well suggested dragon is more likely to clinch a sale
  • As an addendum to the above rule: Do NOT just copy/paste your latest hatchlings into every single thread on the “Find a Dragon” forum without reading what the OP is looking for
  • Don’t post in someone’s searching thread more than once- unless you have something new to show them this time
  • Do remove dragons from the AH once you have a buyer secured and the haggling has begun. If the deal falls through you can always repost it

Resources for Sales

Pinglist Usage Guide
Breeders Associations and Selling Hubs Directory
Hatchery Directory 4.0
Registry Registry [Add Yours!]

[TOOL] Another Dragon Pricing Calculator | [GUIDE] So You Want to Start a Hatchery 2 | [GUIDE] Sorneith Job Catalog | [A] Silverbow's Odds 'n Ends
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns

A
---
[Tool] Another Dragon Pricing Calculator

B
---
[Guide]BBCode

BBC Color Names (No Hex Codes)

BBCode and HTML Text Colorizer (external link)

Breeding Guide

[GUIDE] UPDATED Breeding Rarity Hub Charts

C
---
[Free Resource] Co's Codes

[Guide] Color

Color Range Predictor (External Link)

Color Theory with Dragons

Comprehensive Gene Guide

Crowes's BBCode Compendium

D
---
DalphiaRose’s Toolset (external link)

DRAGONOMICS: crowdsourced economy

Dragon Population Tracking

F
---
FR Image Assets

Free Bio Things

Flight Rising Tool.Breeding Card (external link)

G
---
Genes that (technically) Combine

The Guide to FR Abbreviations

H
---
Hatchery Directory 4.0

[TOOL] Hatchery Listing BBCode Generator

Hatchling Probability Calculator (external link)

Hex's Spreadsheet Master Thread

Hibernal Den Items - Complete Guide

How I Price Dragons (by EgoLobster)

How I Price My Dragons (by OreoQuack)

How to Make a Hatchery Thread

I
---
[resource] item-width coli bio banners

L
---
Lair and Nest Expansion Costs

Lair Keeper and Pair Workshop

P
---
Pinglist Usage Guide

Pricing Guide

R
---

S
---
[Guide] Sub-Species V2

[TOOL]Super Hoard Organizer

[TOOLS] Super Lair SS and Breeding Lab

Ultimate Subspecies Guide

V
---
Various Color Tools

A
---
[Tool] Another Dragon Pricing Calculator

B
---
[Guide]BBCode

BBC Color Names (No Hex Codes)

BBCode and HTML Text Colorizer (external link)

Breeding Guide

[GUIDE] UPDATED Breeding Rarity Hub Charts

C
---
[Free Resource] Co's Codes

[Guide] Color

Color Range Predictor (External Link)

Color Theory with Dragons

Comprehensive Gene Guide

Crowes's BBCode Compendium

D
---
DalphiaRose’s Toolset (external link)

DRAGONOMICS: crowdsourced economy

Dragon Population Tracking

F
---
FR Image Assets

Free Bio Things

Flight Rising Tool.Breeding Card (external link)

G
---
Genes that (technically) Combine

The Guide to FR Abbreviations

H
---
Hatchery Directory 4.0

[TOOL] Hatchery Listing BBCode Generator

Hatchling Probability Calculator (external link)

Hex's Spreadsheet Master Thread

Hibernal Den Items - Complete Guide

How I Price Dragons (by EgoLobster)

How I Price My Dragons (by OreoQuack)

How to Make a Hatchery Thread

I
---
[resource] item-width coli bio banners

L
---
Lair and Nest Expansion Costs

Lair Keeper and Pair Workshop

P
---
Pinglist Usage Guide

Pricing Guide

R
---

S
---
[Guide] Sub-Species V2

[TOOL]Super Hoard Organizer

[TOOLS] Super Lair SS and Breeding Lab

Ultimate Subspecies Guide

V
---
Various Color Tools
[TOOL] Another Dragon Pricing Calculator | [GUIDE] So You Want to Start a Hatchery 2 | [GUIDE] Sorneith Job Catalog | [A] Silverbow's Odds 'n Ends
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
Aaaand this is done! I greatly expanded on my old guide. Thank you to everyone who commented and asked questions on the first version from way back in the day. Your questions helped me make this new version.
Aaaand this is done! I greatly expanded on my old guide. Thank you to everyone who commented and asked questions on the first version from way back in the day. Your questions helped me make this new version.
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@Anjoulas Hey there!
I noticed you were linking to the old version of this guide in the Hatchery 4.0 thread front page, so I thought I would share the updated one. It's much more extensive now. Would you mind updating the link so people can find it? Thanks!

EDIT: I'll add your hatchery directory to resources as soon as I'm off mobile
@Anjoulas Hey there!
I noticed you were linking to the old version of this guide in the Hatchery 4.0 thread front page, so I thought I would share the updated one. It's much more extensive now. Would you mind updating the link so people can find it? Thanks!

EDIT: I'll add your hatchery directory to resources as soon as I'm off mobile
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@ScalyMaiden Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna change the link to the new thread :)
@ScalyMaiden Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna change the link to the new thread :)
Just responding to some posts I spotted in the old thread, and thought I'd answer them here since I want traffic coming to the new version ----- [quote name="Sphinzz" date="2019-04-26 05:13:59" ] What does everybody do if their dragons don't get sold for a while? Since they're from a hatchery I don't think I should be lowering prices too much but I was wondering if exalting them is the only other option? [/quote] @Sphinzz Sorry it's been so long, I only recently returned to FR- Some people give them away to new players, some people sell them at a discount in a "bargain bin" in their hatchery, and some people level and exalt them. Those are pretty much your options. I don't think there's anything wrong with lowering the prices to make them sell even from a hatchery, but I'd recommend having a specific "Sale" or "Bargains" section to make it clear that these dragons fall outside your regular pricing scheme. ----- @DrakoTheDragon Good luck with your hatchery! Feel free to come back here and drop a link when you open it
Just responding to some posts I spotted in the old thread, and thought I'd answer them here since I want traffic coming to the new version

Sphinzz wrote on 2019-04-26 05:13:59:
What does everybody do if their dragons don't get sold for a while? Since they're from a hatchery I don't think I should be lowering prices too much but I was wondering if exalting them is the only other option?

@Sphinzz

Sorry it's been so long, I only recently returned to FR- Some people give them away to new players, some people sell them at a discount in a "bargain bin" in their hatchery, and some people level and exalt them. Those are pretty much your options.

I don't think there's anything wrong with lowering the prices to make them sell even from a hatchery, but I'd recommend having a specific "Sale" or "Bargains" section to make it clear that these dragons fall outside your regular pricing scheme.

@DrakoTheDragon
Good luck with your hatchery! Feel free to come back here and drop a link when you open it
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@ScalyMaiden I just want to say that this guide is amazing. Seriously, it's helped me so much with figuring out my hatchery. I actually used to have an old one, but it kind of flopped – probably because there was no theme. But my current one has a theme, is doing a lot better, and is so much fun to run!
@ScalyMaiden I just want to say that this guide is amazing. Seriously, it's helped me so much with figuring out my hatchery. I actually used to have an old one, but it kind of flopped – probably because there was no theme. But my current one has a theme, is doing a lot better, and is so much fun to run!
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
@Auroiii

Pinging you here since this is the newer version of the guide. To answer your question about ping lists, breeding associations are a great place to find them, but when it comes to building your own, that usually comes with time as people ask to be pinged for your hatchlings.

You can always do Interest Checks threads in the Dragon Share forum to try to get some people to volunteer for your pinglists.
@Auroiii

Pinging you here since this is the newer version of the guide. To answer your question about ping lists, breeding associations are a great place to find them, but when it comes to building your own, that usually comes with time as people ask to be pinged for your hatchlings.

You can always do Interest Checks threads in the Dragon Share forum to try to get some people to volunteer for your pinglists.
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@myriadofstars

Thank you! I'm glad it's helped you!
@myriadofstars

Thank you! I'm glad it's helped you!
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@ScalyMaiden Thanks!
@ScalyMaiden Thanks!
OrlEqVx.png
xjB7OSe.png
VITvCqN.png
He/It, Any
I have no idea what I'm doing, I never knew Flight Rising was gonna be this complicated
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8