Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | 2019 Dragon Census [Data Needed]
1 2 3 4 5
I think I got everyone on there (that was old enough, haha)! Hope that helps you out! c: I think it's super neat.
I think I got everyone on there (that was old enough, haha)! Hope that helps you out! c: I think it's super neat.
JlVJrkd.png
bYt72YT.png9hqcHsy.png
NNFAxmd.pngEiPW4qT.png
tumblr_inline_nfx5micmyj1r6zydg.png
Added in my kids! It was super fun finding out that all my dragons who I pictured as big are actually small and all the dragons I thought were small are actually chonkers lmao
Added in my kids! It was super fun finding out that all my dragons who I pictured as big are actually small and all the dragons I thought were small are actually chonkers lmao
So.quick update: I haven't been able to update the master sheet yesterday or today but I will tomorrow! Though it'll probably be around 5ish FR time
So.quick update: I haven't been able to update the master sheet yesterday or today but I will tomorrow! Though it'll probably be around 5ish FR time
e0e5fe8bc5e2eb71e48268d844d1053a183e4251.gif
I think one of the fae on the master sheet has an error? Lamia (ID 51281857) was entered with a length of 0.
I think one of the fae on the master sheet has an error? Lamia (ID 51281857) was entered with a length of 0.
tumblr_o43lvx6AIP1vosak4o5_100.pngtumblr_o9w9hrHZ0r1vosak4o1_r1_100.pngNlfNctV.pngQMvFMzB.png
@Stelaris

Thanks for telling me, I'll fix that tonight
@Stelaris

Thanks for telling me, I'll fix that tonight
Added my data. Thanks for doing this, I think it's pretty neat.
Added my data. Thanks for doing this, I think it's pretty neat.
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
This is brilliant!!! I have been wanting a dragon size post for a LONG time but all the ones I could find are out of date! I will definitely be adding all my dragons soon!
This is brilliant!!! I have been wanting a dragon size post for a LONG time but all the ones I could find are out of date! I will definitely be adding all my dragons soon!
Cool idea! I just added everybody in my lair. :) I look forward to seeing the final data!
Cool idea! I just added everybody in my lair. :) I look forward to seeing the final data!
So, a small update: I'm currently on mobile, and for some reason this goofy tablet won't let me edit google docs. I have to find a keyboard to set up the computer again, so it may be a couple days until I manage to update the master sheet. Thank you everyone for entering your dragons! I'm checking in, and promise to update the master sheet as soon as I am able!
So, a small update: I'm currently on mobile, and for some reason this goofy tablet won't let me edit google docs. I have to find a keyboard to set up the computer again, so it may be a couple days until I manage to update the master sheet. Thank you everyone for entering your dragons! I'm checking in, and promise to update the master sheet as soon as I am able!
[center]Hi @Ketchalin Congrats on undertaking this awaited renewal! Sampling stats & visuals is so delightful for lore addicts to indulge in [emoji=gaoler star size=1] I have a couple suggestions for optimizing your census: [b]Idea N°1[/b][/center] Instead of having submitters manually link every entry, you could use this formula: [indent][color=grey]=HYPERLINK("http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon="&[color=purple]B:B[/color],"[color=green]Caption[/color]")[/color][/indent] So submitting the Dragon [b]ID#[/b] in the [color=purple][b]B[/b] column[/color] automatically fills in the dragon's [u]permalink[/u] under a preset [color=green]Caption[/color] [size=2](e.g. Lair, Profile, Visit, Check me out, ...)[/size] [b]Pros:[/b][LIST] [*]Less of a hassle for everybody: [*]100% directly available data for easy verifications [*]Links won't ever break when dragons move lair or exalt themselves [emoji=gaoler tongue size=1][/LIST] [b]Cons:[/b] [size=2][i]I'm no coder so I may just have missed it but...[/i][/size] Can't apply formula to a whole column and at the same time allow text to be input afterward to customize each cell's hyperlink; so it's not possible to combine the feature with the [i]Name[/i] [b]G[/b] column -there'll have to be a separate one. [size=2] In that regard, with the basic [i]lair-untied[/i] permalinks, the [i]Lair #[/i] [b]A[/b] column becomes quite needless so you could retask it for this purpose! Otherwise, if you'd rather keep it, fortunately, there's already space in the [b]H[/b] column so there wouldn't be any rearrangement needed.[/size] To implement, input the formula directly into the [u]column [b]n[color=brown]*[/color]1[/b] [i]title[/i] cell[/u]: [size=2][color=brown]*[/color][i]n[/i] designates a non-specific column, yours to elect (e.g. [i]Lair #[/i] A or H column)[/size] [indent][color=grey]=[color=#060AA3]ARRAYFORMULA([color=teal]IFS([b]ROW[/b](B:B)=[b]1[/b],"[color=#2495D5]Title[/color]"[/color][/color],[color=teal]IS[b]NUMBER[/b](B:B)[/color],[i]HYPERLINK("[color=blue]http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=[/color]"&[color=purple]B:B[/color],"[color=green]Caption[/color]")[/i],[color=teal]ISBLANK(B:B),[b]""[/b])[color=#060AA3])[/color][/color][/color][/indent] It'll apply the hyperlink formula to the [color=#060AA3]whole column[/color] -but the [color=teal][b]n1[/b] title cell[/color] that'll feature your choice [color=#2495D5]title[/color] instead, and display the [color=grey]links[/color] for rows with [color=teal]Dragon [b]#ID[/b][/color] or [color=teal]leave [b]blanks[/b][/color] otherwise. [size=2]If you do decide to overwrite the [i]Lair #[/i] [b]A[/b] column, delete everything inside first or the old entries will retain priority and the formula won't apply.[/size] [i]Probably best to [b]lock [/b]the [b]n column[/b] to ensure the formula isn't tampered with.[/i] [emoji=bogsneak scared] [size=2]Click the [b]column header[/b] [i]right arrow menu[/i] then [u]Protect Range[/u]: [color=grey][i]SheetName[/i]![b]n:n[/b][/color] [right][size=2](Set Permissions to Only you.)[/right] [center][b]Idea N°2:[/b] Enact [u]Data Validation[/u] in the [i]Gender[/i] [b]F[/b] column with a Male/Female [b]drop-down list[/b] -submissions will run even smoother with caps lock toggled all the way but for the names. [size=2]Or maybe it's just me driving myself crazy juggling, typing whole series of punctuation marks instead of numbers, undoing, repeating the same mistake, ...[emoji=bogsneak deadpan][/size][/center] To implement, select cell [b]F2[/b] then in [u]Data Menu: Data Validation[/u]: [LIST] [*]Cell Range: [i]SheetName[/i]![b]F2:F[/b] [*]Criteria: [u]List elements[/u] > Female,Male [*]Toggle on [u]Show drop-down list in cell[/u] [*][size=2]Toggle on Reject input on invalid data if you care [*][size=2]Toggle on Show validation help text, if you'd like to detail instructions upon hovering the cursor over the cell (e.g. "Select non-lore game-generated gender")[/LIST] [color=grey]Just in case to save you some trouble, the very neat function that would allow you to [b]group[/b] all sheets & edit them all together...[b]is not an available feature on Google Docs.[/b] So that's a bit of a manual repeat, but you can simply edit on any first sheet, then: [LIST] [*][color=grey][u]Select + Ctrl C[/u] the [b]n/ F column headers[/b] [*][color=grey][u]Special-Paste[/u] respectively [i]formula/ data validation only[/i] over every other sheet's n/ F column headers.[/LIST] [size=2]Don't forget to [b]lock[/b] the [i]n[/i] [u]column[/u] that holds the hyperlink formula on each sheet![/size] [center]In any case, thank you for breathing life back into a tremendous project [emoji=familiar heart] Best of luck with your dreary tablet & keyboard quest [emoji=spiral laughing] Take heart ~[/center]
Hi @Ketchalin

Congrats on undertaking this awaited renewal!
Sampling stats & visuals is so delightful for lore addicts to indulge in

I have a couple suggestions for optimizing your census:

Idea N°1
Instead of having submitters manually link every entry, you could use this formula:

=HYPERLINK("http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon="&B:B,"Caption")

So submitting the Dragon ID# in the B column automatically fills in the dragon's permalink under a preset Caption (e.g. Lair, Profile, Visit, Check me out, ...)

Pros:
  • Less of a hassle for everybody:
  • 100% directly available data for easy verifications
  • Links won't ever break when dragons move lair or exalt themselves
Cons:
I'm no coder so I may just have missed it but...

Can't apply formula to a whole column and at the same time allow text to be input afterward to customize each cell's hyperlink; so it's not possible to combine the feature with the Name G column -there'll have to be a separate one.

In that regard, with the basic lair-untied permalinks, the Lair # A column becomes quite needless so you could retask it for this purpose! Otherwise, if you'd rather keep it, fortunately, there's already space in the H column so there wouldn't be any rearrangement needed.

To implement, input the formula directly into the column n*1 title cell:
*n designates a non-specific column, yours to elect (e.g. Lair # A or H column)

=ARRAYFORMULA(IFS(ROW(B:B)=1,"Title",ISNUMBER(B:B),HYPERLINK("http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon="&B:B,"Caption"),ISBLANK(B:B),""))

It'll apply the hyperlink formula to the whole column -but the n1 title cell that'll feature your choice title instead, and display the links for rows with Dragon #ID or leave blanks otherwise.
If you do decide to overwrite the Lair # A column, delete everything inside first or the old entries will retain priority and the formula won't apply.

Probably best to lock the n column to ensure the formula isn't tampered with.
Click the column header right arrow menu then Protect Range: SheetName!n:n
(Set Permissions to Only you.)

Idea N°2:

Enact Data Validation in the Gender F column with a Male/Female drop-down list -submissions will run even smoother with caps lock toggled all the way but for the names.
Or maybe it's just me driving myself crazy juggling, typing whole series of punctuation marks instead of numbers, undoing, repeating the same mistake, ...
To implement, select cell F2 then in Data Menu: Data Validation:
  • Cell Range: SheetName!F2:F
  • Criteria: List elements > Female,Male
  • Toggle on Show drop-down list in cell
  • Toggle on Reject input on invalid data if you care
  • Toggle on Show validation help text, if you'd like to detail instructions upon hovering the cursor over the cell (e.g. "Select non-lore game-generated gender")

Just in case to save you some trouble, the very neat function that would allow you to group all sheets & edit them all together...is not an available feature on Google Docs.

So that's a bit of a manual repeat, but you can simply edit on any first sheet, then:
  • Select + Ctrl C the n/ F column headers
  • Special-Paste respectively formula/ data validation only over every other sheet's n/ F column headers.
Don't forget to lock the n column that holds the hyperlink formula on each sheet!

In any case, thank you for breathing life back into a tremendous project
Best of luck with your dreary tablet & keyboard quest
Take heart ~
Alex's Creepy Cookout Raffle
Morpheon Gach'adopt

FR+9 · They
28 y.o.

Shadom Bakery
1 2 3 4 5