Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Ganondorf's Breeding Guide
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
So, I'm thinking of doing a Solar System Project. But I'm no experienced breeder. And worse yet, some of the dragons I thought up are in flights that I'm not in. The only one I could breed in my own nest so far is Terra, as I am in the Nature flight and Terra is as well. But for example, the first one I thought up has Fire Primal eyes.

Sol

How should I go about this? Should I breed for gene and color and then do a nest rental of someone in the Fire flight however many times it takes to get the Primal eyes? Do the eyes and genes and color simultaneously?
So, I'm thinking of doing a Solar System Project. But I'm no experienced breeder. And worse yet, some of the dragons I thought up are in flights that I'm not in. The only one I could breed in my own nest so far is Terra, as I am in the Nature flight and Terra is as well. But for example, the first one I thought up has Fire Primal eyes.

Sol

How should I go about this? Should I breed for gene and color and then do a nest rental of someone in the Fire flight however many times it takes to get the Primal eyes? Do the eyes and genes and color simultaneously?
Nature is beautiful, in every way
From blooming flowers to baby animals
Nature can lead you astray
But even the desert has beauty
I love being out in Nature
It's so good to relax and watch the animals
-Anna
2-1-1.jpg
@I2Dragons, for breeding for primals, I definitely recommend breeding genes and colours first, getting yourself an identical pair with at least the colours, and optionally the genes (unless you're willing to buy genes) and then begin renting the Fire nests for the eyes. When you're getting close to the goal pair dragons, I would start renting Fire nests juuuuust in case you get a fluke. But primals are very rare, so getting an identical pair to give yourself the best chance possible is crucial.
@I2Dragons, for breeding for primals, I definitely recommend breeding genes and colours first, getting yourself an identical pair with at least the colours, and optionally the genes (unless you're willing to buy genes) and then begin renting the Fire nests for the eyes. When you're getting close to the goal pair dragons, I would start renting Fire nests juuuuust in case you get a fluke. But primals are very rare, so getting an identical pair to give yourself the best chance possible is crucial.
l6nCFA8.png
@Ganondorf So I decided to use the Pyramid method you laid out for breeding for Stella, my dream dragon. This is what I want to end up with: [morphology=1419289] And these are my 5 current Generation 1 dragons, all having the secondary gene I desire. I know, I need 1 more female and 2 more males if I want a complete pyramid, but I figured I would ask which males to pair to which females so that I can keep track of things on this thread here, which is for my breeding project to breed Stella: [url]https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/2991180/1#post_47038444[/url] Here they are: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/68150909][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/681510/68150909_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/67933626][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/679337/67933626_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/68121477][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/681215/68121477_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/68113425][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/681135/68113425_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/68401547][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/684016/68401547_350.png[/img][/url] So, which ones do you think I should pair up for Generation 1? They all have at least 1 desired gene and colors within 30 of the colors I am after. And the not desired genes are all either rarer or at the same rarity as the desired genes.
@Ganondorf So I decided to use the Pyramid method you laid out for breeding for Stella, my dream dragon. This is what I want to end up with:

Stella

And these are my 5 current Generation 1 dragons, all having the secondary gene I desire. I know, I need 1 more female and 2 more males if I want a complete pyramid, but I figured I would ask which males to pair to which females so that I can keep track of things on this thread here, which is for my breeding project to breed Stella:

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/2991180/1#post_47038444

Here they are:

68150909_350.png

67933626_350.png

68121477_350.png

68113425_350.png

68401547_350.png

So, which ones do you think I should pair up for Generation 1? They all have at least 1 desired gene and colors within 30 of the colors I am after. And the not desired genes are all either rarer or at the same rarity as the desired genes.
Nature is beautiful, in every way
From blooming flowers to baby animals
Nature can lead you astray
But even the desert has beauty
I love being out in Nature
It's so good to relax and watch the animals
-Anna
2-1-1.jpg
@I2Dragons [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/402240402679398434/833495630697201704/chrome_2021-04-18_20-13-13.png[/img] Hey its kinda hard to understand someone elses project, but I highly suggest either tracking it in a bio of one of your dragons, or a spreadsheet like this. It lets you clearly see who is the best pairs each time. I use red for colors that are "above" my goal on the color wheel, and yellow for colors that are "below" my goal. Green for the goal color. You can see the goal here is Spring/Spring/Sunset and every pair consists of an "above" and a "below" for each color (or the goal itself). The pairs have colors to indicate they are paired. By color coding you can see who is the best mates easily, every pairing needs to have the possibility of getting the goal in it. You can also track the genes you need. I also usually write how many colors away the dragon is from the goal, thats what the numbers at the end are. This lets me follow ganondorf's "generation" suggestions too and let me figure out how close I am to being done. You can also just write all this in the bio of one of the project dragons. Just open up the AH and use the color selector to see which dragons are above and below and such. Once you get it all recorded, the pairs are obvious!
@I2Dragons

chrome_2021-04-18_20-13-13.png

Hey its kinda hard to understand someone elses project, but I highly suggest either tracking it in a bio of one of your dragons, or a spreadsheet like this. It lets you clearly see who is the best pairs each time.

I use red for colors that are "above" my goal on the color wheel, and yellow for colors that are "below" my goal. Green for the goal color. You can see the goal here is Spring/Spring/Sunset and every pair consists of an "above" and a "below" for each color (or the goal itself). The pairs have colors to indicate they are paired.

By color coding you can see who is the best mates easily, every pairing needs to have the possibility of getting the goal in it. You can also track the genes you need. I also usually write how many colors away the dragon is from the goal, thats what the numbers at the end are. This lets me follow ganondorf's "generation" suggestions too and let me figure out how close I am to being done.

You can also just write all this in the bio of one of the project dragons. Just open up the AH and use the color selector to see which dragons are above and below and such. Once you get it all recorded, the pairs are obvious!
8g7QT7K.png V9b7SpH.png
@Ganondorf
I've just reread the math bit and it is completely doing my head in. You said there would be links to tools that will take care of the math for you in the Extras section but I don't see them. Is it possible that in the rewrite they got removed and weren't put back in? Or are the tools no longer actually useful/viable and so were taken out?

@Ganondorf
I've just reread the math bit and it is completely doing my head in. You said there would be links to tools that will take care of the math for you in the Extras section but I don't see them. Is it possible that in the rewrite they got removed and weren't put back in? Or are the tools no longer actually useful/viable and so were taken out?

old-oaks-2.png Vs38xu1.png
@midnightserenade, ah, yeah, the Extras section isn't done yet, actually. I haven't gotten a chance to complete the rewrite, it's taken a surprising amount of work, and the plan has been to put in the Extras at the end when I have all the information I need, and can determine what needs to go there. D: Sorry about that!
@midnightserenade, ah, yeah, the Extras section isn't done yet, actually. I haven't gotten a chance to complete the rewrite, it's taken a surprising amount of work, and the plan has been to put in the Extras at the end when I have all the information I need, and can determine what needs to go there. D: Sorry about that!
l6nCFA8.png
Ah, OK, no worries. I appreciate all the work you've put into writing this in the first place and then going back and rewriting. In the meantime, while I wait to check out the tools (if I can't hunt them down on my own), I'll have to see if I can't try wrapping my head around the math better.

Just a very quick question though... Ballpark, when do good odds turn into so-so odds and when do so-so odds turn into bad odds? What are your mental cut off points?
Ah, OK, no worries. I appreciate all the work you've put into writing this in the first place and then going back and rewriting. In the meantime, while I wait to check out the tools (if I can't hunt them down on my own), I'll have to see if I can't try wrapping my head around the math better.

Just a very quick question though... Ballpark, when do good odds turn into so-so odds and when do so-so odds turn into bad odds? What are your mental cut off points?
old-oaks-2.png Vs38xu1.png
@flyteofheart oh wow this visual aid looks like something i could use. is it okay to use ur concept in my own projects?? colours for "above", "below", "goal" etc?

also a question for u since i asked ganondorf this before. i see in ur sheet u seem to have the genes/breed locked down first before the colours. do u find this method easier/better?? i've been trying to do it per ganondorf by blending traits and colours simultaneously and i feel very very Lost in the project
@flyteofheart oh wow this visual aid looks like something i could use. is it okay to use ur concept in my own projects?? colours for "above", "below", "goal" etc?

also a question for u since i asked ganondorf this before. i see in ur sheet u seem to have the genes/breed locked down first before the colours. do u find this method easier/better?? i've been trying to do it per ganondorf by blending traits and colours simultaneously and i feel very very Lost in the project
hi staff could i please have clarinet apparel? i love you

6XCD9ya.png
@midnightserenade, 1 in 10 (10%) or better are excellent odds that I usually feel comfortable with having just one pair for, that would be the "final pair" for the project. 1 in 10-30 is "good" odds and I have gotten goal kids from these before, but if I can, I definitely try to keep options open for making better pairs. 30-100 is "fluke baby", "so-so" odds territory and I definitely nest in the right nests, but I don't count on it, these are usually the grandparents, maybe even great-grandparents in a project.
1 in 100-1000 is highly unlikely, but not impossible, I've had 2 projects that nailed odds in the ~200 range, so if it's convenient, I'll put a pair on the right nests. I'd call everything above 1 in 100 "bad" odds, and 1000+ I don't bother nesting in the right nests, those pairs usually only exist to make closer pairs, rather than to try to get the goal baby from them.
@midnightserenade, 1 in 10 (10%) or better are excellent odds that I usually feel comfortable with having just one pair for, that would be the "final pair" for the project. 1 in 10-30 is "good" odds and I have gotten goal kids from these before, but if I can, I definitely try to keep options open for making better pairs. 30-100 is "fluke baby", "so-so" odds territory and I definitely nest in the right nests, but I don't count on it, these are usually the grandparents, maybe even great-grandparents in a project.
1 in 100-1000 is highly unlikely, but not impossible, I've had 2 projects that nailed odds in the ~200 range, so if it's convenient, I'll put a pair on the right nests. I'd call everything above 1 in 100 "bad" odds, and 1000+ I don't bother nesting in the right nests, those pairs usually only exist to make closer pairs, rather than to try to get the goal baby from them.
l6nCFA8.png
@ktjn Yeah feel free to steal the idea. I got it from someone else to begin with! it really helps me bcus im kinda SLOW i guess and cant figure it out without the color coding XD

I do try to go for breed and genes first yea but thats just a personal preference. Mainly by not even trying to breed for them- I only buy source dragons that are the right breed most of the time. So if im going for a coatl project, I try to only buy coatls even if i have to buy like 20+ colors away to make it happen.

I find this easier because it gets REALLY confusing for me to to try to manage breed and genes and colors at the same time. I got so messed up in a project once because I messed up the breed and genes and couldnt go back and it took me like 2 years to fix it. Basically started over.

its not always possible but i try to stick to it as much as possible and breed for the important parts first at the least..

also i got a lot of these tips from ganon anyway... lol. they are great and im going to stop hijacking the thread now XD
@ktjn Yeah feel free to steal the idea. I got it from someone else to begin with! it really helps me bcus im kinda SLOW i guess and cant figure it out without the color coding XD

I do try to go for breed and genes first yea but thats just a personal preference. Mainly by not even trying to breed for them- I only buy source dragons that are the right breed most of the time. So if im going for a coatl project, I try to only buy coatls even if i have to buy like 20+ colors away to make it happen.

I find this easier because it gets REALLY confusing for me to to try to manage breed and genes and colors at the same time. I got so messed up in a project once because I messed up the breed and genes and couldnt go back and it took me like 2 years to fix it. Basically started over.

its not always possible but i try to stick to it as much as possible and breed for the important parts first at the least..

also i got a lot of these tips from ganon anyway... lol. they are great and im going to stop hijacking the thread now XD
8g7QT7K.png V9b7SpH.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11