Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Ganondorf's Breeding Guide
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
@ConfusedKing
When I'm searching the AH for dragons to use, I start with the colour ranges! I usually start with 5 colours on either side of each of the goal colours, so for that dragon, I'd be looking at something like this:
https://www1.flightrising.com/auction-house/buy/realm/dragons?d_body_range=177-127&d_wings_range=57-87&d_tert_range=67-5&collapse=1
From there, you can increase the range of colours searching if there aren't enough listings, or limit the genes to the ones you need (or higher rarity).
@ConfusedKing
When I'm searching the AH for dragons to use, I start with the colour ranges! I usually start with 5 colours on either side of each of the goal colours, so for that dragon, I'd be looking at something like this:
https://www1.flightrising.com/auction-house/buy/realm/dragons?d_body_range=177-127&d_wings_range=57-87&d_tert_range=67-5&collapse=1
From there, you can increase the range of colours searching if there aren't enough listings, or limit the genes to the ones you need (or higher rarity).
l6nCFA8.png
Oh, thank you for this! This guide is the most in-depth one I've found so far. I'm undertaking my first breeding project and this guide is proving really helpful!
Oh, thank you for this! This guide is the most in-depth one I've found so far. I'm undertaking my first breeding project and this guide is proving really helpful!
@bluepotato
so I don't lose this :)
@bluepotato
so I don't lose this :)
@Ganondorf So I'm starting my first breeding project, and I was having trouble pairing the dragons up. Would you be willing to look at them and give your opinion on what would be good pairs, or even just some tips for making pairs? Ty!
Also feel free to let me know if I made any not so great starting decisions that should probably be swapped out.

The goal is this:
Fleuret

The Dragons: https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/162915/616313/1
@Ganondorf So I'm starting my first breeding project, and I was having trouble pairing the dragons up. Would you be willing to look at them and give your opinion on what would be good pairs, or even just some tips for making pairs? Ty!
Also feel free to let me know if I made any not so great starting decisions that should probably be swapped out.

The goal is this:
Fleuret

The Dragons: https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/162915/616313/1
@bluepotato1, I would start with figuring out which dragons pair with each other to produce colour ranges that include the desired colours. For example, Goddess can pair with Mulir, Holy, and Jupiter, while Loveless cannot pair with any of the boys you've got currently. For Loveless, I would go back to the AH and search for males on the opposite side of the goal colours, like so. Rinse and repeat until all the dragons are paired up!
@bluepotato1, I would start with figuring out which dragons pair with each other to produce colour ranges that include the desired colours. For example, Goddess can pair with Mulir, Holy, and Jupiter, while Loveless cannot pair with any of the boys you've got currently. For Loveless, I would go back to the AH and search for males on the opposite side of the goal colours, like so. Rinse and repeat until all the dragons are paired up!
l6nCFA8.png
@Ganondorf I have never done a breeding project and don't really know where to start for it. i've read through the guide a few times and yet i'm still confused. So the end result is this abyss/sapphire/white. The genes don't matter since i can fix his genes but for colors i want to be very exact and i don't know how to start a breeding project, could i have some help please? [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=96&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=2&tertgene=13&winggene=0&wings=71&auth=515a75851cde5236fa13eb4179ec6e93a29739de&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
@Ganondorf I have never done a breeding project and don't really know where to start for it. i've read through the guide a few times and yet i'm still confused.
So the end result is this abyss/sapphire/white. The genes don't matter since i can fix his genes but for colors i want to be very exact and i don't know how to start a breeding project, could i have some help please?
dragon?age=1&body=96&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=5&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=2&tertgene=13&winggene=0&wings=71&auth=515a75851cde5236fa13eb4179ec6e93a29739de&dummyext=prev.png
64addc0f1f2e250e82937dddfca0eff540692a0f.png22b56b6afb0964ac2c9b440dcdd6ca2cdd93e76a.png
@Saltymew, I usually start with an Auction House search, or even a Dragon Search. For the Auction House, I usually start by searching out 5 colours on either side of the goal, with the breed/genes in mind (in this case, we must inherit Imperial), like so.

From there, I'd take a look at what's there, and see if any can pair up with each other to cover the colours needed. In this case at this point in time, there are two options on the "green" side of Abyss (the Caribbean/Twilight/Platinum G1 Noc and the Caribbean/Periwinkle/Antique Coatl), with the rest being on the "purple" side.

So starting with those two, I can see if there are mates for them: The Coatl is a girl, so I check the boys to see if their colour ranges will cover the required colours. Her with the Sky/Iris/Moon Coatl boy will cover the ranges. I like to use this site for a quick tool to see colour ranges on dragons:
http://fr.fintastic.net/?id=63,55,51,42,3,5,1,1

The G1 is a boy, so I check the girls. The Stonewash/Ultramarine/Antique would make a good partner for him:
http://fr.fintastic.net/?id=63,56,44,49,8,3,1,1

There's two pairs, and the quality of the pairs you can find will determine how many pairs you need to start with (eg. which generation). That takes experience to know, but I've got a guideline in the guide. With these two pairs, I'd want two more pairs of similar quality to make the great-grandparent generation.
@Saltymew, I usually start with an Auction House search, or even a Dragon Search. For the Auction House, I usually start by searching out 5 colours on either side of the goal, with the breed/genes in mind (in this case, we must inherit Imperial), like so.

From there, I'd take a look at what's there, and see if any can pair up with each other to cover the colours needed. In this case at this point in time, there are two options on the "green" side of Abyss (the Caribbean/Twilight/Platinum G1 Noc and the Caribbean/Periwinkle/Antique Coatl), with the rest being on the "purple" side.

So starting with those two, I can see if there are mates for them: The Coatl is a girl, so I check the boys to see if their colour ranges will cover the required colours. Her with the Sky/Iris/Moon Coatl boy will cover the ranges. I like to use this site for a quick tool to see colour ranges on dragons:
http://fr.fintastic.net/?id=63,55,51,42,3,5,1,1

The G1 is a boy, so I check the girls. The Stonewash/Ultramarine/Antique would make a good partner for him:
http://fr.fintastic.net/?id=63,56,44,49,8,3,1,1

There's two pairs, and the quality of the pairs you can find will determine how many pairs you need to start with (eg. which generation). That takes experience to know, but I've got a guideline in the guide. With these two pairs, I'd want two more pairs of similar quality to make the great-grandparent generation.
l6nCFA8.png
Ty :) @Ganondorf, that was really helpful!
Ty :) @Ganondorf, that was really helpful!
@ganondorf This is very interesting! As I am currently doing it, I do a variation on the line process- essentially, a double-line where I do 2 line projects to end up with a similar final pairing (For my Clown/Nox/Firefly scry, for example, I would carefully keep 2 lines separated and end up with 2 parents with clown/nox/firefly in a similar color range- though "color adjustment" is an important step! I.E. Creampuff is a great dragon (XXY with the Xs in a good color range!) but his tert is Spring which means I need to find a dragon with a tert in the more pink-purple range to get the desired result [mist] when I pair him with the other side of the line)

I'm still pretty new to breeding (and all my projects are XYZ... Oop) so none of my bigger projects have come to completion... But it feels like I'm close! I like this method because it only requires me to hold 4-8 dragons per project in my main lair- the cons of course are that it's a constantly rotating roster of dragons in those slots and... i can be terrible when it comes to forming attachments to dergs ":3

Anyways long ramble to ask what you think! Is this a good method? I have yet to find success with it, though I am admittedly only 4 months in! If it helps, you can think of it like a cross between your pyramid and line methods! The main thing I'm having trouble with rn is getting color ranges narrow enough, but hopefully I'll be able to resolve that soon!
@ganondorf This is very interesting! As I am currently doing it, I do a variation on the line process- essentially, a double-line where I do 2 line projects to end up with a similar final pairing (For my Clown/Nox/Firefly scry, for example, I would carefully keep 2 lines separated and end up with 2 parents with clown/nox/firefly in a similar color range- though "color adjustment" is an important step! I.E. Creampuff is a great dragon (XXY with the Xs in a good color range!) but his tert is Spring which means I need to find a dragon with a tert in the more pink-purple range to get the desired result [mist] when I pair him with the other side of the line)

I'm still pretty new to breeding (and all my projects are XYZ... Oop) so none of my bigger projects have come to completion... But it feels like I'm close! I like this method because it only requires me to hold 4-8 dragons per project in my main lair- the cons of course are that it's a constantly rotating roster of dragons in those slots and... i can be terrible when it comes to forming attachments to dergs ":3

Anyways long ramble to ask what you think! Is this a good method? I have yet to find success with it, though I am admittedly only 4 months in! If it helps, you can think of it like a cross between your pyramid and line methods! The main thing I'm having trouble with rn is getting color ranges narrow enough, but hopefully I'll be able to resolve that soon!
eq6zQ9M.pngyUJyALg.png
4xqaZpf.png
1dbVtvH.png
G8AyR6r.png
6Ef6hwD.png
YeWVG9M.png EypKCgu.png
two years later and you're still saving lives
two years later and you're still saving lives
ZiISKtO.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11