Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Eye types visual guide
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
Oh man!!! Guess its time to make those double and eyes fandragons

I honestly wish they added more eyes with dark sclerae tho tbh (esp light totally not for a fandragon)
Oh man!!! Guess its time to make those double and eyes fandragons

I honestly wish they added more eyes with dark sclerae tho tbh (esp light totally not for a fandragon)
art
@Borderlandswlw I pity the people whose projects include multiple Primal eyed dragons. Looks like the odds are smaller than 1% from a newly hatched dragon.
@Borderlandswlw I pity the people whose projects include multiple Primal eyed dragons. Looks like the odds are smaller than 1% from a newly hatched dragon.
@Saphirosa I've added white basic/basic/basic zoomed in snapper babies to three posts. What do you think?

I originally didn't go this route because in practice, almost no one uses permababies and the vast majority of dragons will be seen at adult size, making the eyes small. But if there's a demand, I will make it.
@Saphirosa I've added white basic/basic/basic zoomed in snapper babies to three posts. What do you think?

I originally didn't go this route because in practice, almost no one uses permababies and the vast majority of dragons will be seen at adult size, making the eyes small. But if there's a demand, I will make it.
@Shisa
Its not about permababies its about the eyes. I can't see the little dots on skydancers , but I still want to know , how it will look like in its full size. Its much better to see now :)
@Shisa
Its not about permababies its about the eyes. I can't see the little dots on skydancers , but I still want to know , how it will look like in its full size. Its much better to see now :)
QmA8loc.gif HMjulZ.jpg NywvZd5.gif
@Saphirosa All snapper babies have been added to the guide!
@Saphirosa All snapper babies have been added to the guide!
Thanks so much for making this! Pinging myself so I can find can it later @andromidia
Thanks so much for making this! Pinging myself so I can find can it later @andromidia
8RfENq9.png
andi | they/them
fr time +3
64FS5.gifj0y8r.gifrD4ev.gifjzuUB.gifGvz94.gifH3s3h.gif4xih6.gif
QmB4Q.gif
yvdjc.gifds0BK.gif1roS7.gif
The fancy new eyes such as Multi-Gaze, Primal, and Glowing layer on top of skins and accents. I'll be uploading a picture soon.
The fancy new eyes such as Multi-Gaze, Primal, and Glowing layer on top of skins and accents. I'll be uploading a picture soon.
@Pebz this may have been what you were looking for
@Graeves may as well ping you as well :3
@Pebz this may have been what you were looking for
@Graeves may as well ping you as well :3
Auction_copy.jpg
Interesting! It seems that in addition to the normal element-colored iris', the sclera of the eyes has been affected as well. That definitely makes a huge difference between each of the natural Eye Types.

However...

Excluding babies, half of all FR dragons do not display the sclera. This is a HUGE problem as it means ANY Eye Types that have very similarly-colored irises will look nearly identical in a huge number of dragons, no matter if their sclera are radically different.

And it's a huge problem because it basically means a fair few Eye Types are worthless on half of all dragons, especially Mirrors since they were designed to completely lack sclera. And I think Fae and Bogsneak are the same way as well.

For reference, I choose to look at an element and Eye Type with very high contrast between the Iris and the Sclera. In this case, Unusual Wind eyes with that peridot green iris and aqua sclera. Dragons with only one or two pixels-worth of sclera are counted as "no".

Easily Visible Sclera?
Male
Bogsneak - No
Coatl - Yes
Fae - No (if it is, it's only a pixel)
Guardian - No
Imperial - Yes (but only a pixel)
Mirror - No
Nocturne - Yes
Pearlcatcher - Yes
Ridgeback - No
Skydancer - Yes
Snapper - Yes
Spiral - No (ironic)
Tundra - Yes
Wildclaw - No (if it is, only a pixel)
Female
Bogsneak - No
Coatl - Yes
Fae - No
Guardian - No
Imperial - Yes
Mirror - No
Nocturne - Yes
Pearlcatcher - Yes
Ridgeback - No
Skydancer - No (can't see)
Snapper - Yes
Spiral - No (ironyyy)
Tundra - Yes
Wildclaw - Yes (barely)
Babies
Bogsneak - No
Coatl - Yes
Fae - No
Guardian - No
Imperial - Yes
Mirror - No
Nocturne - Yes
Pearlcatcher - Yes
Ridgeback - No
Skydancer - Yes
Snapper - Yes
Spiral - Yes
Tundra - Yes
Wildclaw - Yes (it's mostly sclera)

Dragon Breeds That Lack Sclera In All Life Stages
Bogsneak
Fae
Guardian
Mirror
Ridgeback
Dragon Breeds that Lose Their Sclera in Adulthood
Imperial Male
Skydancer Female
Spiral Male AND Female (lol)
Wildclaw Male (and nearly Wildclaw Female)

Which means, to the Breeds and specific males and females above, the following Eye Types are effectively the same unless you squint reaaaaally hard:
Plague
Common <-> Uncommon (slightly darker)

Wind
Common <-> Unusual (indistinguishable)

Water
Ice
Common <-> Rare (indistinguishable)

Arcane
Common <-> Unusual (slightly darker)

Fire
Common <-> Uncommon (indistinguishable)
Fire Rare may be mistaken for Earth Common

The best eye elements for all dragons IMO are Earth, Shadow, and Light, as all of their Common, Uncommon, Unusual, and Rare eye types are easily distinguishable amongst each other. Lightning and Nature are also fairly distinct, but less so than those three.

And then the other six have all those problems.
Interesting! It seems that in addition to the normal element-colored iris', the sclera of the eyes has been affected as well. That definitely makes a huge difference between each of the natural Eye Types.

However...

Excluding babies, half of all FR dragons do not display the sclera. This is a HUGE problem as it means ANY Eye Types that have very similarly-colored irises will look nearly identical in a huge number of dragons, no matter if their sclera are radically different.

And it's a huge problem because it basically means a fair few Eye Types are worthless on half of all dragons, especially Mirrors since they were designed to completely lack sclera. And I think Fae and Bogsneak are the same way as well.

For reference, I choose to look at an element and Eye Type with very high contrast between the Iris and the Sclera. In this case, Unusual Wind eyes with that peridot green iris and aqua sclera. Dragons with only one or two pixels-worth of sclera are counted as "no".

Easily Visible Sclera?
Male
Bogsneak - No
Coatl - Yes
Fae - No (if it is, it's only a pixel)
Guardian - No
Imperial - Yes (but only a pixel)
Mirror - No
Nocturne - Yes
Pearlcatcher - Yes
Ridgeback - No
Skydancer - Yes
Snapper - Yes
Spiral - No (ironic)
Tundra - Yes
Wildclaw - No (if it is, only a pixel)
Female
Bogsneak - No
Coatl - Yes
Fae - No
Guardian - No
Imperial - Yes
Mirror - No
Nocturne - Yes
Pearlcatcher - Yes
Ridgeback - No
Skydancer - No (can't see)
Snapper - Yes
Spiral - No (ironyyy)
Tundra - Yes
Wildclaw - Yes (barely)
Babies
Bogsneak - No
Coatl - Yes
Fae - No
Guardian - No
Imperial - Yes
Mirror - No
Nocturne - Yes
Pearlcatcher - Yes
Ridgeback - No
Skydancer - Yes
Snapper - Yes
Spiral - Yes
Tundra - Yes
Wildclaw - Yes (it's mostly sclera)

Dragon Breeds That Lack Sclera In All Life Stages
Bogsneak
Fae
Guardian
Mirror
Ridgeback
Dragon Breeds that Lose Their Sclera in Adulthood
Imperial Male
Skydancer Female
Spiral Male AND Female (lol)
Wildclaw Male (and nearly Wildclaw Female)

Which means, to the Breeds and specific males and females above, the following Eye Types are effectively the same unless you squint reaaaaally hard:
Plague

Wind
Common <-> Unusual (indistinguishable)

Water
Ice
Common <-> Rare (indistinguishable)

Arcane
Common <-> Unusual (slightly darker)

Fire
Common <-> Uncommon (indistinguishable)
Fire Rare may be mistaken for Earth Common

The best eye elements for all dragons IMO are Earth, Shadow, and Light, as all of their Common, Uncommon, Unusual, and Rare eye types are easily distinguishable amongst each other. Lightning and Nature are also fairly distinct, but less so than those three.

And then the other six have all those problems.
-AchievementGet-
Thanks so much for the guide! This actually helps a lot.

@/TopazMutiny
Good point about the scleras. I didn't think of that. Checking out the new eye types in the Scrying Workshop, a lot of the colors seemed so similar they didn't really need to be individual tints. Part of the problem is that the details are hard to see on the tiny eyes many dragons have, but it didn't even occur to me that dragons with visible scleras might have more variety.

Thanks so much for the guide! This actually helps a lot.

@/TopazMutiny
Good point about the scleras. I didn't think of that. Checking out the new eye types in the Scrying Workshop, a lot of the colors seemed so similar they didn't really need to be individual tints. Part of the problem is that the details are hard to see on the tiny eyes many dragons have, but it didn't even occur to me that dragons with visible scleras might have more variety.

event-sig-small-4.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14