Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Accent Coverage in Gimp
[center][size=6]Update: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=76]Please use THIS tutorial instead![/url] It's official and this one is actually inaccurate and will give wrong results![/size][/center] [center][b][color=red]I'm in no way a Gimp expert, I don't use the programm for anything else than accent checking. Please don't ask for my advice other than this.[/color][/b] [size=4]If you are an accent maker, and you don't have the money for photoshop, or just plain don't have access to it, Gimp is an alternative to Photoshop for accent coverage checking. It's as quick as Photshop, and it's free too![/size] [b]If you do have Photoshop, you can check out [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1407587]this guide[/url] made by Nekomata.[/b] [/center] ----- ----- You need to download Gimp for this (of course). I'm using the one-window setup but you can do this with the multiple windows as well. [b]This method does take opacity into account![/b] Alright, you start off with getting your image in two layers, [b]one layer displaying your whole accent, another layer with the base dragon[/b]. [img]http://i.imgur.com/mCzzvIz.png[/img] You then want to right click on the base dragon lair, then [b]click "Alpha to Selection[/b] Now you need to click on the accent layer. After you have the layer selected, you want to open up the histogram tab. [img]http://i.imgur.com/PJUtxHW.png[/img] If you do not have the histogram tab there, you'll need to [b]Click "Windows" at the top, then select "Dockable Dialogs" and then click "Histogram", the tab will appear.[/b] In the histogram, you'll need to make sure that the Channel is set to Alpha. Now look at the Mean, divide it by 255, then multiply by 100, that's the coverage percentage! [img]http://i.imgur.com/xTXCsfH.png[/img] [b]But, to save you some math, here are some values to know if an (festival) accent should pass through.[/b] 30% = 76.5 Mean 50% = 127.5 Mean [center][size=5][b]Hope this was helpful for all of you who do not have access to photoshop, you can always ask me questions about this![/b][/size][/center]
Update: Please use THIS tutorial instead! It's official and this one is actually inaccurate and will give wrong results!

I'm in no way a Gimp expert, I don't use the programm for anything else than accent checking. Please don't ask for my advice other than this.

If you are an accent maker, and you don't have the money for photoshop, or just plain don't have access to it, Gimp is an alternative to Photoshop for accent coverage checking. It's as quick as Photshop, and it's free too!

If you do have Photoshop, you can check out this guide made by Nekomata.

You need to download Gimp for this (of course). I'm using the one-window setup but you can do this with the multiple windows as well.
This method does take opacity into account!

Alright, you start off with getting your image in two layers, one layer displaying your whole accent, another layer with the base dragon.
mCzzvIz.png

You then want to right click on the base dragon lair, then click "Alpha to Selection
Now you need to click on the accent layer.
After you have the layer selected, you want to open up the histogram tab.
PJUtxHW.png

If you do not have the histogram tab there, you'll need to Click "Windows" at the top, then select "Dockable Dialogs" and then click "Histogram", the tab will appear.

In the histogram, you'll need to make sure that the Channel is set to Alpha. Now look at the Mean, divide it by 255, then multiply by 100, that's the coverage percentage!
xTXCsfH.png

But, to save you some math, here are some values to know if an (festival) accent should pass through.
30% = 76.5 Mean
50% = 127.5 Mean

Hope this was helpful for all of you who do not have access to photoshop, you can always ask me questions about this!
Hi! I'm Jake or Rads
lwN7WD5.png FRT+9 | he/him

accent shop
xx Silhouette of a flying dragon
:0

@Vistron
:0

@Vistron
MVxSTuW.jpg
This is super useful, thanks!
This is super useful, thanks!
GIF featuring a pastel-icy colored Coatl called Sirel, who is glittering fabolously. Text next to him reads 'Others about Sirel', while the actual quote being displayed changes randomly each time the page is refreshed. Quotes: 'He's an honorary Ridgeback', -Kereth (local Ridgeback). ~ 'What does a fish-eater need 14 doves for?' -Canopy (local carnivore). ~ 'Why does he call me a Bogsnek, what's a snek?' -Kuriel (Imperial, turned Emperor, turned Imperial, turned Bogsnek). ~ 'He's not a clown, because clowns are scary', -Yoldu (doesn't like clowns). ~ 'If only he’d join the shade, we’d be unstoppable', -Nalar (the shade). ~ 'A Sirel a day keeps boredom away', -Sirel (usually after having done something foolish). ~ '0 out of 10 accomplice, keeps confessing our crimes', -Robin (in reference to the two of them stealing the Mona Lisa from Crim). ~ 'nice', -Akio (Sirel's Friend). ~ 'Don’t let him fool you into thinking he’s stupid', -Yoldu (Sirel’s fae language teacher). ~ 'This Dragon is an experience', -Merlot (Sirel's Mate). ~ '10 out of 10 would befriend again', -Verioth (Sirel's Friend). ~ 'Life without Sirel is possible, but pointless', -unknown (probably Sirel). ~ 'I knew his parents, I don't know why he's like this', -Kereth (who knew his parents and doesn't know why he's like this). ~ 'He fights like he has no idea what he's doing', -Seramore (Someone who's competent at fighting). ~ 'Where did all the glitter go?' -Eryu (Resident Clan Artist). ~ 'Please stop memeing and go to sleep', -Merlot (Sirel's Mate, tired of his shenanigans). ~ 'Please don't eat that- SIREL!!', -Malura (Resident Clan Pharmacist). ~ ...and that's all the quotes, for now! If any new ones are added, I will be sure to add them to the start of this list. Thank you for traveling with Darkfrost Memes, and have a nice day.
Darkfrost
he/him
Fae are my faeves
AnticipateEnjoyer

skits_achievement_by_starfruit_anon-dbnbwsb.png
Make your own Dragon Skits over here!
@QueenParda
Ahhh, thank you! This is a MUCH simpler way of checking ;o;
@QueenParda
Ahhh, thank you! This is a MUCH simpler way of checking ;o;
@QueenParda Are you sure that I´m supposed to divide it by 225 and not 255? :3

p7bVN.gifwnbPN.gifJYGgB.gifQZqIO.gif
jYebY.gif

jYebY.gif
@Cupcakebunny
That seems to be a typo! Thanks for letting me know c:
@Cupcakebunny
That seems to be a typo! Thanks for letting me know c:
Hi! I'm Jake or Rads
lwN7WD5.png FRT+9 | he/him

accent shop
xx Silhouette of a flying dragon
@QueenParda You´re welcome! Thanks for the awesome guide!! Finally I understand how to check my accents!
@QueenParda You´re welcome! Thanks for the awesome guide!! Finally I understand how to check my accents!
jYebY.gif
@Parda

I've used this method once before without any problems, no I can't get my file to open up as layers? I've saved in both psp and png and it always comes up in Gimp as one layer, while PSP and photoshop, all layers. Any idea what i could be doing wrong?
@Parda

I've used this method once before without any problems, no I can't get my file to open up as layers? I've saved in both psp and png and it always comes up in Gimp as one layer, while PSP and photoshop, all layers. Any idea what i could be doing wrong?
bAMdmKk.png