Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] Ruins Meditate Monk
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ok, I just did some grinding with a Mire Monk with 119 STR, 70 Quick, 16 Vit. My impressions so far:

Bolster is a complete waste of a slot. There is never a time when Defend isn't better. Get Sap, you'll be glad to have it for leveling higher than 5

Why the heck does the recommended Mire Flyer build use 117 str instead of 119??? One shot eliminating the unicorns instead of scratch/eliminate saves a LOT of time, damage, and contuss headaches.

With lvl 1 fodder, it can be dicey to start with 3 melee, but you might as well try. You'll have time to restart if if it goes wrong. and if you don't have to, then wonderful.

Meditate takes 4 turns to clear, not three. Even with that I like this better than using Scratch to build breath, You go into round three with 3 mobs instead of 2, but with more health left if you've been dealing with melee mobs because Defend halves damage. Also, You are at the Eliminate stage at the start of round three which is a full round sooner than using Scratch to build breath.

Haste after Meditate doesn't give an extra turn so I just use it first to get the 5 breath if it's a group that it will work on, then Meditate which gives me 35 breath, then Defend. Otherwise I'll still have enough breath after Rally the next round.

If you plan to level past 5 and happen to get a group of casters for the first fight, you can opt to use meditate twice. This will give you a buffer against dodges and make Sap an option faster than it otherwise would have been. You will likely take an extra hit or two doing it this way. If you've had a healing potion drop along the way, one of your fodder will likely have a turn and can use it on you.

Second round is Rally, Defend. That leaves you ready to clean house with Eliminate at the start of the third round. One of the things I like about this setup is it's consistent.

If you have to restart, it's very much worth spending the few seconds to stat up your fodder in Vit with any extra going to Def. You shouldn't need to restart at all from there up through at least lvl 7 barring the Wartoad. Don't even think about trying to solo that with this build.

Dodges are a killer. If you're planning to level to 7 or higher, it can be well worth going through a second round of meditate debuff on a group of casters (especially if you've already statted up your fodder's Vit).

Ok, I just did some grinding with a Mire Monk with 119 STR, 70 Quick, 16 Vit. My impressions so far:

Bolster is a complete waste of a slot. There is never a time when Defend isn't better. Get Sap, you'll be glad to have it for leveling higher than 5

Why the heck does the recommended Mire Flyer build use 117 str instead of 119??? One shot eliminating the unicorns instead of scratch/eliminate saves a LOT of time, damage, and contuss headaches.

With lvl 1 fodder, it can be dicey to start with 3 melee, but you might as well try. You'll have time to restart if if it goes wrong. and if you don't have to, then wonderful.

Meditate takes 4 turns to clear, not three. Even with that I like this better than using Scratch to build breath, You go into round three with 3 mobs instead of 2, but with more health left if you've been dealing with melee mobs because Defend halves damage. Also, You are at the Eliminate stage at the start of round three which is a full round sooner than using Scratch to build breath.

Haste after Meditate doesn't give an extra turn so I just use it first to get the 5 breath if it's a group that it will work on, then Meditate which gives me 35 breath, then Defend. Otherwise I'll still have enough breath after Rally the next round.

If you plan to level past 5 and happen to get a group of casters for the first fight, you can opt to use meditate twice. This will give you a buffer against dodges and make Sap an option faster than it otherwise would have been. You will likely take an extra hit or two doing it this way. If you've had a healing potion drop along the way, one of your fodder will likely have a turn and can use it on you.

Second round is Rally, Defend. That leaves you ready to clean house with Eliminate at the start of the third round. One of the things I like about this setup is it's consistent.

If you have to restart, it's very much worth spending the few seconds to stat up your fodder in Vit with any extra going to Def. You shouldn't need to restart at all from there up through at least lvl 7 barring the Wartoad. Don't even think about trying to solo that with this build.

Dodges are a killer. If you're planning to level to 7 or higher, it can be well worth going through a second round of meditate debuff on a group of casters (especially if you've already statted up your fodder's Vit).

tumblr_inline_nebbd6PAZE1qmu9vp.png
I'm working my progen up to lvl25 and I want to make her a mediate monk (for the ruins) and thank you for the comprehensive guide
I'm working my progen up to lvl25 and I want to make her a mediate monk (for the ruins) and thank you for the comprehensive guide
Maevely
jMfomZU.png ________________ ________________
nZDKsIn.png
WvEXipG.png
hzM3Sr2.png
H0t7Ypl.png
An update on my Mire Monk since the Coli update. It's insane! With the first turn bug fixed. You can be using eliminate by the end of the second round. I've taken several pair to level 8 without a reset. I'm pretty convinced that if I had to reset and gave the fodder their vitality points, I could probably kill a Wartoad solo with this now (Used to occasionally with the standard Mire Flyer).
An update on my Mire Monk since the Coli update. It's insane! With the first turn bug fixed. You can be using eliminate by the end of the second round. I've taken several pair to level 8 without a reset. I'm pretty convinced that if I had to reset and gave the fodder their vitality points, I could probably kill a Wartoad solo with this now (Used to occasionally with the standard Mire Flyer).
I did some leveling in the Mire with my Monk and figured something neat out. If you get a group that haste will work on, you can Meditate, Haste, Rally, Defend on the first round. This means you can start using Eliminate on the second round of the battle. It's just as fast as the Anticitank in Ghostlight only more consistent.
I did some leveling in the Mire with my Monk and figured something neat out. If you get a group that haste will work on, you can Meditate, Haste, Rally, Defend on the first round. This means you can start using Eliminate on the second round of the battle. It's just as fast as the Anticitank in Ghostlight only more consistent.
@Lamentations Been using this build for two and a half years now and it's still my favorite fodder trainer - thank you!

Made a doc that serves as a quick guide/summary of the build - a tiny bit of variation from what is suggested here, but it's what works best for me. Also a video of the build in action.
@Lamentations Been using this build for two and a half years now and it's still my favorite fodder trainer - thank you!

Made a doc that serves as a quick guide/summary of the build - a tiny bit of variation from what is suggested here, but it's what works best for me. Also a video of the build in action.
bQiQUFQ.png
Just tried this build and I've had to restart so many times bc the bosses pop up super often and the monsters have been dodging my hits excessively. It takes a bit getting used to meditate over scratch - though I understand how it works with this build. Also, I just noticed I didn't check my dragon's element, and I ended up placing this build on a Plague dragon rather than a Nature or Water one. I hope this won't affect me too much. I do have another LV 25 Nature, but I'd have to switch their builds.
Just tried this build and I've had to restart so many times bc the bosses pop up super often and the monsters have been dodging my hits excessively. It takes a bit getting used to meditate over scratch - though I understand how it works with this build. Also, I just noticed I didn't check my dragon's element, and I ended up placing this build on a Plague dragon rather than a Nature or Water one. I hope this won't affect me too much. I do have another LV 25 Nature, but I'd have to switch their builds.
wlLXM.gif
Sorry to be so dumb, but what does buff and debuff mean? I follow most of this but some words confuse me what they mean, thank you.
Sorry to be so dumb, but what does buff and debuff mean? I follow most of this but some words confuse me what they mean, thank you.
@Idealism
Unfortunately, this build is so close to the edge of not working at all, that yes, being in any other element will very much affect how long you can go between restarts. It depends on taking out the mobs you are more vulnerable to first, knowing you're going to take a hit or two each round. For any build for other venues, it doesn't really matter and meditate is far more predictable than scratch.
@Idealism
Unfortunately, this build is so close to the edge of not working at all, that yes, being in any other element will very much affect how long you can go between restarts. It depends on taking out the mobs you are more vulnerable to first, knowing you're going to take a hit or two each round. For any build for other venues, it doesn't really matter and meditate is far more predictable than scratch.
@sweettoothart
@sweettoothart
7NebxtL.jpg
Just wanted to mention that - although this build is not all that viable for the Ruins I found it very useful for the Harpy's Roost. Made for a run where I didn't have to restart and with good survivability too.
Just wanted to mention that - although this build is not all that viable for the Ruins I found it very useful for the Harpy's Roost. Made for a run where I didn't have to restart and with good survivability too.
wlLXM.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8