Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] So You Want to Start a Hatchery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
@Acacophony
Thanks for this guide!! I especially like how you mentioned the breakdown of your prices - Im finally starting to get to a point where I want to re-open my sales thread as a for-reals hatchery, and pricing is something I need to have a solid method for, so those are some super helpful ideas!

That said, would you mind if I asked you for advice about *when* to breed? i.e., should I just breed my pairs whenever and list them, or is it better to offer some by request? Likewise, do you actually keep a regular calendar/schedule sort of thing, or just breed whichever pairs you feel like as they're RTB?

I also breed fodder for profit exalting, but I feel like I should keep my fodder and my ~good~ (so to speak) babies separate, even though I will exalt them if they dont sell anyway, soo maybe it doesnt matter so much? Idk. This has honestly been my biggest hurdle so far and a lot of my pairs are RTB right now, so if a calendar is something I should aim for I guess now would be a good a time as any to figure that out.
@Acacophony
Thanks for this guide!! I especially like how you mentioned the breakdown of your prices - Im finally starting to get to a point where I want to re-open my sales thread as a for-reals hatchery, and pricing is something I need to have a solid method for, so those are some super helpful ideas!

That said, would you mind if I asked you for advice about *when* to breed? i.e., should I just breed my pairs whenever and list them, or is it better to offer some by request? Likewise, do you actually keep a regular calendar/schedule sort of thing, or just breed whichever pairs you feel like as they're RTB?

I also breed fodder for profit exalting, but I feel like I should keep my fodder and my ~good~ (so to speak) babies separate, even though I will exalt them if they dont sell anyway, soo maybe it doesnt matter so much? Idk. This has honestly been my biggest hurdle so far and a lot of my pairs are RTB right now, so if a calendar is something I should aim for I guess now would be a good a time as any to figure that out.
............................ P583N5e.png ....
{ jimmie · he/him · fr +2 }

adopts // clan lorebook
.... 6IsQP.gif
@BMO

Personally, I breed pairs for my festival the week before so that they hatch before the first day of the festival, or at least on the first day.

As far as scheduling for off-season stock, I have pinglists of people who are interested in hatchlings from particular pairs, so I breed those that have pinglists as soon as they are RTB, unless I'm waiting for a nest. If a customer wants me to breed in a specific element nest, I will have to wait for the schedule of the user hosting the nest. I try to schedule my nests so that I have one hatching every day, in order to keep my turn-over high.

My other pairs and my personal pairs I just breed as I want to, or sometimes for special occasions. (For example, I have a pair of Nocs I'm breeding to hatch on April Fool's Day).

As far as your problem with exalt fodder verses hatchery stock, I would suggest investing in as many nests as you can buy. Then delegate a certain number of nests for hatchery use only, and a certain number for exalt fodder only.
@BMO

Personally, I breed pairs for my festival the week before so that they hatch before the first day of the festival, or at least on the first day.

As far as scheduling for off-season stock, I have pinglists of people who are interested in hatchlings from particular pairs, so I breed those that have pinglists as soon as they are RTB, unless I'm waiting for a nest. If a customer wants me to breed in a specific element nest, I will have to wait for the schedule of the user hosting the nest. I try to schedule my nests so that I have one hatching every day, in order to keep my turn-over high.

My other pairs and my personal pairs I just breed as I want to, or sometimes for special occasions. (For example, I have a pair of Nocs I'm breeding to hatch on April Fool's Day).

As far as your problem with exalt fodder verses hatchery stock, I would suggest investing in as many nests as you can buy. Then delegate a certain number of nests for hatchery use only, and a certain number for exalt fodder only.
[TOOL] Another Dragon Pricing Calculator | [GUIDE] So You Want to Start a Hatchery 2 | [GUIDE] Sorneith Job Catalog | [A] Silverbow's Odds 'n Ends
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@Amentia

This is really helpful! Pinging myself so I can refer to it!
@Amentia

This is really helpful! Pinging myself so I can refer to it!
tumblr_opss4vUg0g1wnxxc9o1_400.png

ex7GImS.png

cheshire-cat-smile_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

we__re_all_mad_here_by_bumbumbam-d5k2d0a.jpg
@paytonm11
@paytonm11

bestiaryraffle1_by_hapro-d90d0na.png
@Acacophony
I've got a question about the theme stuff...
I'm having a hard time figuring out what mine should be
I do Coatls/Wildclaws
Crystal/Facet and Vipera/Hypnotic
Mostly XXY, XYY or XYX

I've got tons of time on my hands and I'd like to spend said time on this site.
Totally new XD
I hope you can help me out with the theme, thanks :)
@Acacophony
I've got a question about the theme stuff...
I'm having a hard time figuring out what mine should be
I do Coatls/Wildclaws
Crystal/Facet and Vipera/Hypnotic
Mostly XXY, XYY or XYX

I've got tons of time on my hands and I'd like to spend said time on this site.
Totally new XD
I hope you can help me out with the theme, thanks :)
E5NiyJY.png
@Acacophony, Thank you that was all great info. Q, How do we make the breeding cards? My dtr and I are starting(trying) to start a hatchery and are having issues and cannot figure out how to make the cards. Lastly)I think) how do you make a hatchery button.
Thanks.
@Acacophony, Thank you that was all great info. Q, How do we make the breeding cards? My dtr and I are starting(trying) to start a hatchery and are having issues and cannot figure out how to make the cards. Lastly)I think) how do you make a hatchery button.
Thanks.
Dandydots.pngdandydotsicon_by_ciarwitch-d9vv8cq.png
sig_triv_treasure_by_thesleepyghosty-db2khby.png
@TheAngryAnt
pining myself so i can look at this later ^^;;;
@TheAngryAnt
pining myself so i can look at this later ^^;;;
@Dandydots

I make mine using fr-tools on tumblr (which is linked in the resources section.) You enter all the information, and then take a screenshot and crop it down to just the card in an art program. (I use MS paint for that.)

As far as a hatchery button, I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you mean the link in my signature, it's a simple image link in BB code, which I can give you if you like.
@Dandydots

I make mine using fr-tools on tumblr (which is linked in the resources section.) You enter all the information, and then take a screenshot and crop it down to just the card in an art program. (I use MS paint for that.)

As far as a hatchery button, I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you mean the link in my signature, it's a simple image link in BB code, which I can give you if you like.
[TOOL] Another Dragon Pricing Calculator | [GUIDE] So You Want to Start a Hatchery 2 | [GUIDE] Sorneith Job Catalog | [A] Silverbow's Odds 'n Ends
-
Quinn
Xe/They pronouns
@Acacophony, Thank you, I will pass the info onto my dtr, she is the techy for our hatchery. I am not sure about the 'button' she was talking about, but may be what you are thinking. I will give her the info when she gets home. Again, Thanks!
@Acacophony, Thank you, I will pass the info onto my dtr, she is the techy for our hatchery. I am not sure about the 'button' she was talking about, but may be what you are thinking. I will give her the info when she gets home. Again, Thanks!
Dandydots.pngdandydotsicon_by_ciarwitch-d9vv8cq.png
sig_triv_treasure_by_thesleepyghosty-db2khby.png
@SirenCherryPie
@SirenCherryPie
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14