Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] Guide to the Art Forums
1 2 3 4 5 6
[IMG]http://66.media.tumblr.com/0a22b0067495df2d6e33317a4950a116/tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo4_500.png[/IMG] [center][size=6][b]A Guide to the Art Forums[/b][/size] [quote][center][color=red][b]Notice[/b][/color][/center] I'm always open for suggestions! And if you find any mistakes and silly errors, PM or comment on my wall please! Thank you![/quote] Hello there! My name is Kotomi, I'm a fellow denizen in the Art forums so I thought I'd share with you on how I think you can make your time in the Art forums worthwhile. This guide can help you as an artist or customer or both! Let's begin! [size=5][b]Table of Contents[/b][/size][/center] [br] [LIST=1] [*][b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596072]Making an Art Shop[/url][/b] [*][b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596077]Pricing Your Art[/url][/b] [*][b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596079]Ordering Art[/url][/b] [*][b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596085]Resources and Links[/url][/b] [*][b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596090]FAQ[/url][/b] [*][b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596095]Help Center[/url][/b] [/LIST]
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo4_500.png
A Guide to the Art Forums
Quote:
Notice

I'm always open for suggestions! And if you find any mistakes and silly errors, PM or comment on my wall please!
Thank you!

Hello there! My name is Kotomi, I'm a fellow denizen in the Art forums so I thought I'd share with you on how I think you can make your time in the Art forums worthwhile.

This guide can help you as an artist or customer or both!

Let's begin!

Table of Contents

1. Making an Art Shop
  2. Pricing Your Art
  3. Ordering Art
  4. Resources and Links
  5. FAQ
  6. Help Center
tumblr_oa88tnZ3jZ1v15k4vo1_250.pngtumblr_oa88tnZ3jZ1v15k4vo2_250.pngtumblr_oa88tnZ3jZ1v15k4vo3_250.png
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo5_500.png

First things first, make sure you're in the right forum. If you're in the Creative Corner, stop, turn around and click Art Sales. The Creative Corner is mainly for interest checks, online sketchbooks, and feedback. Now we can get started.

When you make an art shop/thread, you're trying to sell your artwork to other people. So you have to be able to cater to their needs. There are four, technically five main aspects to creating successful art shop. I deem organization as a given, since there is no specific way to organize a shop.

Organization and presentation is key here.

Make it easy for customers to browse through. Just like a hatchery thread, guide people where you want them to go. Give them a welcoming message to invite them and eye pleasing banners to suck them in. Afterwards, you can get straight to it and show examples or tell them the rules to follow. Whichever way works best for you, the artist. Throw in some bolded words to show different sections of the shop. Be creative!

Presentation is a big deal. Don't just slap together a thread without little thought to it. If your thread looks professional, people will think you are a professional. Again, organization has a major role in presentation. Make the thread pretty and inviting. Paragraphs of text, just like this one, can be intimidating so its best if you keep it simple.

Whip up a banner to advertise why they should request work from you. Make it as interesting as possible so as to make them want to read more. Welcome messages are perfect for this purpose. Hey, you can even hire a writer to make a message for your art shop!

2k9KKpo.png

1. Rules and Specification

Many shops have a list of rules that customers need to follow. You can do the same. Some artist prefer a down payment before working while others prefer payment after. It all depends on your preference.

Organization returns! Or rather stylizing. Bold or underline any key parts that people should remember.

A good thing to include is your gem to treasure ratio. This is how much treasure is valued to gems. The standard ratio tends to fluctuate so be sure to update it regularly.

(Removed criteria. NSFW art may not be solicited on Flight Rising. Thank you for understanding. - Aequorin, Community Manager)

Additionally, another thing to include are slots. Slots are how many requests a artist will undertake. Some artist will have only one slot available and others as many as ten. If one artist takes a week to fulfill a request while another takes a day, naturally the one who takes less time will have more slots.

Nothing is more frustrating for an artist not being able to understand what the customer is asking for. "Just go crazy!" or "Anything you'd like!" can be very irritating at times. We artists would love to "go crazy" but customers sometimes forget an important detail. We're being paid to please you. Do you want a cute style or a morbid atmosphere? Is this color palette the right one or is this piece too chaotic? If you need references, explain that. Be firm on what you need and the customer will provide the information.

Forms are an excellent way to order but can limit flexibility. If you do make a form, add a section where customers can add any additional details they'd like to add.

2k9KKpo.png

2. Examples of Art and Prices

If you have examples that can fit into a post, just post the BBCode. This means if your example is wider than 520 pixels, it will not fit without scrolling. If that happens, just link it. Make it simple and easy to see. Like this:

[X] OR Banner Example 1
OR
Insert thumbnail here

Isn't is nice just clicking once and seeing the example? So if you're setting up shop and decide to link your gallery, STOP. PLEASE.

Don't force people to click onto a link to your Deviantart/Tumblr/Weasly or portfolio and then search for your examples. In short, no multiple links to find examples.

People usually want to easily access examples without having to click multiple links to get there. Even if it's a pain for you to link them, there will be a lot more customers who will appreciate this, me included. So please just link specific examples, no gallery/portfolio links. If you need image hosting sites, I highly recommend Tumblr and Imgur and St.ash as they are easy to view and organize.

If you're wondering about how much clicking is too much, try the Click Twice tip. If you have to click more than twice to look at an example, that's too much.

Also, I highly recommend placing examples in a logical order. This meaning placing corresponding examples to their prices. I've seen too many shops with prices for a lot types of art such as headshots 25k, busts are 50k, fullbodies 100k and so on. Then they give a bunch of examples completely out of order. They'll put fullbodies first, headshots after, busts last; it is a mess! It's as if you expect them to know how to match the art with its price! But the customers don't know how to, so don't force them to! Provide specific examples and match the prices with them.

Pricing your art is a whole other mountain to climb later on. After you've priced your art, be very clear about it. Make it bold or anything to stick out. This is very important because this is a huge factor in attracting business. Low prices can cause one to think you have low quality art while high prices can make it seem you're over confident of your skills. Also, prices are huge to anyone who's purchasing anything! You want to know how much it will cost you. Do you spend $40 on a cup of coffee? Highly unlikely.

With prices attached, customers can be expected to know payment due. You as an artist should not be the only one crunching the numbers. Customers should already be expecting a certain price range for your services even before they pay.

2k9KKpo.png

3. Talking with Customers

As you know, you must be polite with customers. Even if they're the rudest person on the world, you've got to keep a professional demeanor.

Try to fulfill any needs or desires that they may request. Think of it as this: you are a waiter and they are the client. You give the best meal on earth and in return they shall give the biggest tip. Unfortunately some people are a little stingy with tips, but that is to be expected in the real world.

If you meet some real life emergency or art block or such, tell your customers of this in advance. It will remind others that you are a real human with a life outside of the Internet as well as make you appear professional. Plus, no one likes to know about a delay DURING the delay. This is sort of common courtesy.

(redacted)
2k9KKpo.png
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo5_500.png

First things first, make sure you're in the right forum. If you're in the Creative Corner, stop, turn around and click Art Sales. The Creative Corner is mainly for interest checks, online sketchbooks, and feedback. Now we can get started.

When you make an art shop/thread, you're trying to sell your artwork to other people. So you have to be able to cater to their needs. There are four, technically five main aspects to creating successful art shop. I deem organization as a given, since there is no specific way to organize a shop.

Organization and presentation is key here.

Make it easy for customers to browse through. Just like a hatchery thread, guide people where you want them to go. Give them a welcoming message to invite them and eye pleasing banners to suck them in. Afterwards, you can get straight to it and show examples or tell them the rules to follow. Whichever way works best for you, the artist. Throw in some bolded words to show different sections of the shop. Be creative!

Presentation is a big deal. Don't just slap together a thread without little thought to it. If your thread looks professional, people will think you are a professional. Again, organization has a major role in presentation. Make the thread pretty and inviting. Paragraphs of text, just like this one, can be intimidating so its best if you keep it simple.

Whip up a banner to advertise why they should request work from you. Make it as interesting as possible so as to make them want to read more. Welcome messages are perfect for this purpose. Hey, you can even hire a writer to make a message for your art shop!

2k9KKpo.png

1. Rules and Specification

Many shops have a list of rules that customers need to follow. You can do the same. Some artist prefer a down payment before working while others prefer payment after. It all depends on your preference.

Organization returns! Or rather stylizing. Bold or underline any key parts that people should remember.

A good thing to include is your gem to treasure ratio. This is how much treasure is valued to gems. The standard ratio tends to fluctuate so be sure to update it regularly.

(Removed criteria. NSFW art may not be solicited on Flight Rising. Thank you for understanding. - Aequorin, Community Manager)

Additionally, another thing to include are slots. Slots are how many requests a artist will undertake. Some artist will have only one slot available and others as many as ten. If one artist takes a week to fulfill a request while another takes a day, naturally the one who takes less time will have more slots.

Nothing is more frustrating for an artist not being able to understand what the customer is asking for. "Just go crazy!" or "Anything you'd like!" can be very irritating at times. We artists would love to "go crazy" but customers sometimes forget an important detail. We're being paid to please you. Do you want a cute style or a morbid atmosphere? Is this color palette the right one or is this piece too chaotic? If you need references, explain that. Be firm on what you need and the customer will provide the information.

Forms are an excellent way to order but can limit flexibility. If you do make a form, add a section where customers can add any additional details they'd like to add.

2k9KKpo.png

2. Examples of Art and Prices

If you have examples that can fit into a post, just post the BBCode. This means if your example is wider than 520 pixels, it will not fit without scrolling. If that happens, just link it. Make it simple and easy to see. Like this:

[X] OR Banner Example 1
OR
Insert thumbnail here

Isn't is nice just clicking once and seeing the example? So if you're setting up shop and decide to link your gallery, STOP. PLEASE.

Don't force people to click onto a link to your Deviantart/Tumblr/Weasly or portfolio and then search for your examples. In short, no multiple links to find examples.

People usually want to easily access examples without having to click multiple links to get there. Even if it's a pain for you to link them, there will be a lot more customers who will appreciate this, me included. So please just link specific examples, no gallery/portfolio links. If you need image hosting sites, I highly recommend Tumblr and Imgur and St.ash as they are easy to view and organize.

If you're wondering about how much clicking is too much, try the Click Twice tip. If you have to click more than twice to look at an example, that's too much.

Also, I highly recommend placing examples in a logical order. This meaning placing corresponding examples to their prices. I've seen too many shops with prices for a lot types of art such as headshots 25k, busts are 50k, fullbodies 100k and so on. Then they give a bunch of examples completely out of order. They'll put fullbodies first, headshots after, busts last; it is a mess! It's as if you expect them to know how to match the art with its price! But the customers don't know how to, so don't force them to! Provide specific examples and match the prices with them.

Pricing your art is a whole other mountain to climb later on. After you've priced your art, be very clear about it. Make it bold or anything to stick out. This is very important because this is a huge factor in attracting business. Low prices can cause one to think you have low quality art while high prices can make it seem you're over confident of your skills. Also, prices are huge to anyone who's purchasing anything! You want to know how much it will cost you. Do you spend $40 on a cup of coffee? Highly unlikely.

With prices attached, customers can be expected to know payment due. You as an artist should not be the only one crunching the numbers. Customers should already be expecting a certain price range for your services even before they pay.

2k9KKpo.png

3. Talking with Customers

As you know, you must be polite with customers. Even if they're the rudest person on the world, you've got to keep a professional demeanor.

Try to fulfill any needs or desires that they may request. Think of it as this: you are a waiter and they are the client. You give the best meal on earth and in return they shall give the biggest tip. Unfortunately some people are a little stingy with tips, but that is to be expected in the real world.

If you meet some real life emergency or art block or such, tell your customers of this in advance. It will remind others that you are a real human with a life outside of the Internet as well as make you appear professional. Plus, no one likes to know about a delay DURING the delay. This is sort of common courtesy.

(redacted)
2k9KKpo.png
tumblr_oa88tnZ3jZ1v15k4vo1_250.pngtumblr_oa88tnZ3jZ1v15k4vo2_250.pngtumblr_oa88tnZ3jZ1v15k4vo3_250.png
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo6_500.png

This has got to be the most challenging aspect in selling artwork. It depends on a lot of factors, mainly: popularity, quality, personal preferences, and the standard gem to treasure ratio. I'm drawing off of @Yeti 's marvelous Guide in Pricing Art for this section.

Okay, so you're an artist. You've got a spiffy art shop to showcase to the world. Now to just grab customers by the neck.

Question is: is your art popular with others? If you're a professional with a name for yourself, naturally your art will be priced higher than others. This is just like in the real world, take Michelangelo or Da Vinci. Their work is worth millions, mainly because they're dead and can't make more, but because so many people want it.

The other aspect, quality, is a very difficult thing to judge. A lot of people would assume that digital art is best due to its smooth and clean look while other prefer the look to traditional art. I suggest you ask yourself this question instead: How long did it take me to finish? Did you spend hours laboring on each piece? Or did you spend five minutes quickly sketching the idea? Experience can play a huge role in this matter of quality.

Your prices should depend on the factor of time used. The longer it takes, the more expensive it should be. And vice versa; less time equals smaller price tag.

2k9KKpo.png

Gem Ratios

The gem to treasure ratio is a feature that all users should include whenever purchases or sales are present. The standard ratio tends to change quickly. At the birth of the site, it started from 1 gem equal to 60 treasure. Currently, the popular ratio is around 1 gem to 500 treasure, or in short form, 1:500.

Another thing to keep in mind when converting prices into gems, treasure or real world currency is how much you pay for gems. One US dollar is worth 100 gems, since you can purchase 500 gems for $5. Divvy that up and you've got gems equal to about 300 - 500 treasure each nowadays. You can learn more about gem ratios here.

2k9KKpo.png

Underpricing

If your shop isn't attracting business, perhaps your prices aren't that appealing. Try lowering your prices. It's called trial and error, but start by pricing art for more than what you think it's worth. Never ask for too little payment. This hurts you and the art economy here. You overwork and receive little compensation while other artists have to compete with ever decreasing prices. They begin to overwork themselves and the cycle keeps on repeating. So don't ask for too little in return! Users on Flight Rising will gladly give you enough compensation for what they believe is good art.
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo6_500.png

This has got to be the most challenging aspect in selling artwork. It depends on a lot of factors, mainly: popularity, quality, personal preferences, and the standard gem to treasure ratio. I'm drawing off of @Yeti 's marvelous Guide in Pricing Art for this section.

Okay, so you're an artist. You've got a spiffy art shop to showcase to the world. Now to just grab customers by the neck.

Question is: is your art popular with others? If you're a professional with a name for yourself, naturally your art will be priced higher than others. This is just like in the real world, take Michelangelo or Da Vinci. Their work is worth millions, mainly because they're dead and can't make more, but because so many people want it.

The other aspect, quality, is a very difficult thing to judge. A lot of people would assume that digital art is best due to its smooth and clean look while other prefer the look to traditional art. I suggest you ask yourself this question instead: How long did it take me to finish? Did you spend hours laboring on each piece? Or did you spend five minutes quickly sketching the idea? Experience can play a huge role in this matter of quality.

Your prices should depend on the factor of time used. The longer it takes, the more expensive it should be. And vice versa; less time equals smaller price tag.

2k9KKpo.png

Gem Ratios

The gem to treasure ratio is a feature that all users should include whenever purchases or sales are present. The standard ratio tends to change quickly. At the birth of the site, it started from 1 gem equal to 60 treasure. Currently, the popular ratio is around 1 gem to 500 treasure, or in short form, 1:500.

Another thing to keep in mind when converting prices into gems, treasure or real world currency is how much you pay for gems. One US dollar is worth 100 gems, since you can purchase 500 gems for $5. Divvy that up and you've got gems equal to about 300 - 500 treasure each nowadays. You can learn more about gem ratios here.

2k9KKpo.png

Underpricing

If your shop isn't attracting business, perhaps your prices aren't that appealing. Try lowering your prices. It's called trial and error, but start by pricing art for more than what you think it's worth. Never ask for too little payment. This hurts you and the art economy here. You overwork and receive little compensation while other artists have to compete with ever decreasing prices. They begin to overwork themselves and the cycle keeps on repeating. So don't ask for too little in return! Users on Flight Rising will gladly give you enough compensation for what they believe is good art.
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo8_500.png

As an artist and customer, I understand. So here's what you, as a customer can do to help your artist with the process!

2k9KKpo.png

Be polite.

This should have been engraved into your mind when you were young. If not, learn now. Be polite to the people you are commissioning. If you're pleasant, they'll be more than happy to work for you again.

When an artist offers free art, it's a great opportunity to obtain new art for free. But do be aware that tips are usually hinted at because even if it's free, the artist still had to spend time in creating the piece. Just keep this in mind, even a small tip can make someone's day.

2k9KKpo.png

Don't rush.

This is a huge pet peeve of artists; they don't take it too kindly when you do this. Yes, we are creative and imaginative but we simply do not spew out masterpieces in a hour or two. Give us time to compile our thoughts and make the piece. If we encounter any obstacles, like art block, or real life emergencies, we will most likely notify you.

2k9KKpo.png

Be specific.

Tell us exactly what you want and we'll do our utmost best to achieve it. Provide references, if available, so as to give artists a better grasp on the concept. If you have no references, describe very thoroughly. A recommended amount of description is a couple of sentences to a paragraph.
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo8_500.png

As an artist and customer, I understand. So here's what you, as a customer can do to help your artist with the process!

2k9KKpo.png

Be polite.

This should have been engraved into your mind when you were young. If not, learn now. Be polite to the people you are commissioning. If you're pleasant, they'll be more than happy to work for you again.

When an artist offers free art, it's a great opportunity to obtain new art for free. But do be aware that tips are usually hinted at because even if it's free, the artist still had to spend time in creating the piece. Just keep this in mind, even a small tip can make someone's day.

2k9KKpo.png

Don't rush.

This is a huge pet peeve of artists; they don't take it too kindly when you do this. Yes, we are creative and imaginative but we simply do not spew out masterpieces in a hour or two. Give us time to compile our thoughts and make the piece. If we encounter any obstacles, like art block, or real life emergencies, we will most likely notify you.

2k9KKpo.png

Be specific.

Tell us exactly what you want and we'll do our utmost best to achieve it. Provide references, if available, so as to give artists a better grasp on the concept. If you have no references, describe very thoroughly. A recommended amount of description is a couple of sentences to a paragraph.
[center][img]http://67.media.tumblr.com/b4bf6ae9e820ba313d777f487ba5d975/tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo7_500.png[/img] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596072]Making[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596077]Pricing[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596079]Ordering[/url] | [b]Resources and Links[/b] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596090]FAQ[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596095]Help Center[/url] Graphics Provided By @Teten[/center] [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [size=4]General[/size] [LIST] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=cc&id=734&page=1]Posting Images to the Forums[/url] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=9847]Koneko[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1060320&p=mb]Simple Guide: Posting Pictures in Forums[/url] [*] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1023437]The Wanted Art Thread[/url]- The place where you can post ads when looking for artists [*] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1457355]Art Shop Directory[/url] - Where you can find all registered artists categorized by specialty [*] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1490280]Graphics Guide[/url] - The dimensions for all the graphics you might need. [/LIST] [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [size=4]Making an Art Shop[/size] [LIST] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=28922]icyfuzz[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=968221&p=mb][ How to Make a Hatchery Thread ][/url] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=13266]aisumoka[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1047514&p=mb]BBCode Guide [/url] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=35887]Taleirrh[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1059849&p=mb]FR Tools - Signatures, Banners & More[/url] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=103217]Shriayle[/url]'s [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1576915]How to Run an Art Shop[/url] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=91278]foff[/url]'s [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1740159]Guide: Making an Art Shop[/url] [/LIST] [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [size=4]Pricing Your Art[/size] [LIST] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=28267]Yeti[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=art&id=1060170&p=mb]Guide to Pricing Art[/url] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=29678]benalene[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=974914&p=mb]Gem Ratios: Help and Tips[/url] [/LIST] [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [size=4]Ordering Art[/size] [LIST] [*] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=6742]ErsatzLace[/url]'s [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1060318&p=mb]Basic FR Etiquette Guide[/url] [*] [url=http://amaipetisu.tumblr.com/]amaipetisu[/url]'s [url=http://amaipetisu.tumblr.com/post/96089764657]Tips for Ordering Commissions[/url] [*] [url=http://amaipetisu.tumblr.com/]amaipetisu[/url]'s [url=http://amaipetisu.tumblr.com/post/96274855512]Tips for Ordering Commissions (Reference Tips)[/url] [/LIST] [center][size=5]Spread the art love by linking this guide![/size] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=gde&id=1062226] [IMG]http://66.media.tumblr.com/b1bfcf36f1b8edd58e4dc135ade50393/tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo1_100.png[/IMG] [/url] [code][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=gde&id=1062226] [IMG]https://38.media.tumblr.com/b1bfcf36f1b8edd58e4dc135ade50393/tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo1_100.png[/IMG] [/url][/code][/center]
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo7_500.png
Making | Pricing | Ordering | Resources and Links | FAQ | Help Center

Graphics Provided By @Teten
2k9KKpo.png

General

2k9KKpo.png

Making an Art Shop

2k9KKpo.png

Pricing Your Art
2k9KKpo.png

Ordering Art
Spread the art love by linking this guide!

tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo1_100.png

Code:
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=gde&id=1062226] [IMG]https://38.media.tumblr.com/b1bfcf36f1b8edd58e4dc135ade50393/tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo1_100.png[/IMG] [/url]
[center][IMG]http://41.media.tumblr.com/e4bd2296b7c50e77c41c5a440760da2c/tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo2_500.png[/IMG] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596072]Making[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596077]Pricing[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596079]Ordering[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596085]Resources and Links[/url] | [b]FAQ[/b] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1062226#3596095]Help Center[/url] Any common questions asked will be placed here for your reference. Feel free to submit any FAQs to be placed here. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]1. So how do I make an art shop?[/size][/b] There is no definite way to create an art shop. It all depends on the artist and their preferences. But I highly suggest you include these into your art shop: gem to treasure ratio, slots, easy to access examples plus clear and defined prices. These are the bare minimums of an art shop. Just click the "New Topic" button in the upper righthand corner of the Art Sales and begin typing! [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]2. How do I post pictures in the forums?[/size][/b] Undel has created a lovely topic explaining this. Click [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=cc&id=734&p=mb]here[/url] to be redirected. Or try Koneko's highly detailed and picturesque guide [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1060320&p=mb]here[/url]. To post images you have to add the tags [IMG] and[/IMG] around the image's URL. Or the easy way is to click the Insert Image button. It looks like this: [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/forum_icons/bbcode/forum_image.gif[/img][/center] Enter the image's URL and it will add the image tags for you. Viola! [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]3. How do I pay an artist or receive payment?[/size][/b] First off, make sure you have the funds to pay the artist. You can now send payment by message or Crossroads. The first I will explain is via message. Head on over to the artist's profile! Click "Send Message", located underneath Recent Forum Activity, you have to scroll down a little. Fill in the subject header and message. I suggest writing about the payment attached below like "Here is your 50k treasure for the dragon bust" or something along those lines. As long as it displays your understanding of you received your product and know exactly how much to pay. Next, underneath the heading "Attachments", fill out the appropriate box with the amount of treasure or gems. Write it as 50000 for 50k. Or you can attach items if the artist has previously agreed. Click one of the grey boxes and proceed to attach the necessary number of items. Click "Send" and confirm the amount of currency. Then click "Send". To receive payment, open up the message with the attached money. Click the "Take All" button below the attachments and you should have received all attachments. [center][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/160bjv7.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]4. How do I put in a signature?[/size][/b] If you have a signature, you have to place it in the correct place in order to utilize it. Make sure you've uploaded the image onto an image sharing site( like Imgur or Tinypic ). Then copy the URL of that image and click the [b]arrow[/b] besides your username in the top right corner. Click "Account Settings" and scroll down the page until you see "Forum Signature". Click "Edit" and enter the URL into the BBCode Image Generator (Remember that little tree?). I highly recommend centering the image for a cleaner look. If you have a link, surround the image BBCode with the link. Click "Preview" to make sure everything looks pretty and nice, then press submit! You have a pretty signature now! Congratulations! :D [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]5. What's the difference between a banner and a signature?[/size][/b] A banner has the dimensions of taller than 95 pixels. A signature has the max height of 95 pixels. Thus, signatures can be the same length but must have a different height in order to fit correctly. [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]6. What is a banner layout or a layout?[/b][/size] This is somewhat weird to explain but did you notice how in each section of this guide (Making an Art Shop, Pricing, Ordering etc) there is a unique banner at the top? Those are banners and when created in bulk and similarity, they form a layout. [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]7. What does digital or traditional artwork mean?[/size][/b] Digital and traditional are common types of art mediums. Digital artwork is art that is created by means of a computer or drawing tablet whereas traditional is by way of pencil, pen, watercolor, paint, etc. Mainly digital is anything computer related while traditional is anything you can physically hold in the real world. Other art media include: animation, literature, photography and much more. Search "artistic media" for more information. [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]8. I've made my shop, now what?[/size][/b] This is where your art skills come in! Make a signature for yourself, showcase your wonderful art and put it into a banner. I recommend these dimensions: maximum of [b]520[/b] pixels long and [b]95[/b] pixels high. Then place it as a signature and link it to your art shop. This will let people wander into your art shop and perhaps order something from you. Bump your thread! Make it so people notice your thread. But keep in mind to delete previous bumps so as to not look like a lonely artist. :c Also, don't bump too often, it's very time consuming and irritating to continuously bump your thread. [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]9. My shop isn't gaining any attention! Help![/size][/b] *cue heroic music* Help is on the way! You can contact one of our Helpers in the Help Center to help keep your shop afloat. They'll discuss any details that might be the source, whether it be bumping, prices, advertising or anything else. Please don't be afraid to ask us for assistance! We don't bite! ^^ [center][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2k9KKpo.png[/IMG][/center] [b][size=4]10. I want to order some art but I don't know where to begin.[/size][/b] Glad to know you've decided to employ one of the great artists here! First off, know what you want. Compile all the gritty details together like what type of media you'd like (digital, traditional), the characters or concepts you have in mind, budgets you have. And then head on over to the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=art&id=1023437&p=mb]Wanted Art Thread[/url]! Post your ad and soon, an artist will find you. Or if you're the type who likes to search for artists, go on over to the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=art&id=1024189&p=mb]Art Directory[/url], a list of all registered artists here on Flight Rising. Perhaps you're continuously looking for art of a certain object/character, then just make a permanent 'Looking For/Buying/Wanted' thread, in the Art Sale forum of course.
tumblr_ni1qnsmi1L1u2bprpo2_500.png
Making | Pricing | Ordering | Resources and Links | FAQ | Help Center

Any common questions asked will be placed here for your reference. Feel free to submit any FAQs to be placed here.

2k9KKpo.png

1. So how do I make an art shop?

There is no definite way to create an art shop. It all depends on the artist and their preferences. But I highly suggest you include these into your art shop: gem to treasure ratio, slots, easy to access examples plus clear and defined prices. These are the bare minimums of an art shop.

Just click the "New Topic" button in the upper righthand corner of the Art Sales and begin typing!
2k9KKpo.png

2. How do I post pictures in the forums?

Undel has created a lovely topic explaining this. Click here to be redirected. Or try Koneko's highly detailed and picturesque guide here.

To post images you have to add the tags [IMG]and[/IMG] around the image's URL. Or the easy way is to click the Insert Image button. It looks like this:

forum_image.gif

Enter the image's URL and it will add the image tags for you. Viola!

2k9KKpo.png

3. How do I pay an artist or receive payment?

First off, make sure you have the funds to pay the artist. You can now send payment by message or Crossroads. The first I will explain is via message.

Head on over to the artist's profile! Click "Send Message", located underneath Recent Forum Activity, you have to scroll down a little. Fill in the subject header and message. I suggest writing about the payment attached below like "Here is your 50k treasure for the dragon bust" or something along those lines. As long as it displays your understanding of you received your product and know exactly how much to pay.

Next, underneath the heading "Attachments", fill out the appropriate box with the amount of treasure or gems. Write it as 50000 for 50k. Or you can attach items if the artist has previously agreed. Click one of the grey boxes and proceed to attach the necessary number of items. Click "Send" and confirm the amount of currency. Then click "Send".

To receive payment, open up the message with the attached money. Click the "Take All" button below the attachments and you should have received all attachments.

160bjv7.png

4. How do I put in a signature?

If you have a signature, you have to place it in the correct place in order to utilize it. Make sure you've uploaded the image onto an image sharing site( like Imgur or Tinypic ). Then copy the URL of that image and click the arrow besides your username in the top right corner.

Click "Account Settings" and scroll down the page until you see "Forum Signature". Click "Edit" and enter the URL into the BBCode Image Generator (Remember that little tree?). I highly recommend centering the image for a cleaner look. If you have a link, surround the image BBCode with the link. Click "Preview" to make sure everything looks pretty and nice, then press submit!

You have a pretty signature now! Congratulations! :D

2k9KKpo.png

5. What's the difference between a banner and a signature?

A banner has the dimensions of taller than 95 pixels. A signature has the max height of 95 pixels. Thus, signatures can be the same length but must have a different height in order to fit correctly.

2k9KKpo.png

6. What is a banner layout or a layout?

This is somewhat weird to explain but did you notice how in each section of this guide (Making an Art Shop, Pricing, Ordering etc) there is a unique banner at the top? Those are banners and when created in bulk and similarity, they form a layout.

2k9KKpo.png

7. What does digital or traditional artwork mean?

Digital and traditional are common types of art mediums. Digital artwork is art that is created by means of a computer or drawing tablet whereas traditional is by way of pencil, pen, watercolor, paint, etc. Mainly digital is anything computer related while traditional is anything you can physically hold in the real world. Other art media include: animation, literature, photography and much more. Search "artistic media" for more information.

2k9KKpo.png

8. I've made my shop, now what?

This is where your art skills come in! Make a signature for yourself, showcase your wonderful art and put it into a banner. I recommend these dimensions: maximum of 520 pixels long and 95 pixels high. Then place it as a signature and link it to your art shop. This will let people wander into your art shop and perhaps order something from you.

Bump your thread! Make it so people notice your thread. But keep in mind to delete previous bumps so as to not look like a lonely artist. :c Also, don't bump too often, it's very time consuming and irritating to continuously bump your thread.
2k9KKpo.png

9. My shop isn't gaining any attention! Help!

*cue heroic music* Help is on the way! You can contact one of our Helpers in the Help Center to help keep your shop afloat. They'll discuss any details that might be the source, whether it be bumping, prices, advertising or anything else.

Please don't be afraid to ask us for assistance! We don't bite! ^^

2k9KKpo.png

10. I want to order some art but I don't know where to begin.

Glad to know you've decided to employ one of the great artists here! First off, know what you want. Compile all the gritty details together like what type of media you'd like (digital, traditional), the characters or concepts you have in mind, budgets you have. And then head on over to the Wanted Art Thread! Post your ad and soon, an artist will find you. Or if you're the type who likes to search for artists, go on over to the Art Directory, a list of all registered artists here on Flight Rising. Perhaps you're continuously looking for art of a certain object/character, then just make a permanent 'Looking For/Buying/Wanted' thread, in the Art Sale forum of course.

Have a question not in the FAQ? Or just need help about pricing? Then ask us here! Here is where you can find a list of users who will gladly help you with any question you might have! These members are considered senior Art Members, meaning they understand the art market like the back of their hand. Or we feel as if they're able to help you in anything art-related. Feel free to ask anyone on this list!

If you believe you are experienced and can readily help anyone in need, please PM or ping me to be added to the list!

Members

Kotomi - Digital Graphics, Breeding Charts, Banners, BBCode
User since October 2013
Making Graphics since January 2014
2k9KKpo.png
BeingOfNature - Digital Sketches and Busts; Biro and Traditional
User since June 2013
2k9KKpo.png
Novem - Organization, Client Communication, Headshots, Cute Chibis
Running art shops since 2004
2k9KKpo.png

Have a question not in the FAQ? Or just need help about pricing? Then ask us here! Here is where you can find a list of users who will gladly help you with any question you might have! These members are considered senior Art Members, meaning they understand the art market like the back of their hand. Or we feel as if they're able to help you in anything art-related. Feel free to ask anyone on this list!

If you believe you are experienced and can readily help anyone in need, please PM or ping me to be added to the list!

Members

Kotomi - Digital Graphics, Breeding Charts, Banners, BBCode
User since October 2013
Making Graphics since January 2014
2k9KKpo.png
BeingOfNature - Digital Sketches and Busts; Biro and Traditional
User since June 2013
2k9KKpo.png
Novem - Organization, Client Communication, Headshots, Cute Chibis
Running art shops since 2004
2k9KKpo.png
The guide is finally done and open! :D

Please post your questions or anything you might want to add here!
The guide is finally done and open! :D

Please post your questions or anything you might want to add here!
While this is a lovely guide it fails to mention one very crucial thing; how do you send gems and treasure? I have looked all over and no one explains how to do it.

Please help!
While this is a lovely guide it fails to mention one very crucial thing; how do you send gems and treasure? I have looked all over and no one explains how to do it.

Please help!
zOlgUP9.png
@Cuzquo

Go to the person's clan profile (for example, I can get to your clan profile by clicking your name under your little avatar picture there by the side of your post). Then find the send message button. In the attachments part of the message, you can type in an amount of treasure, or an amount of gems! By clicking on the little grey squares, you can also attach items from your hoard.

Was that helpful?
@Cuzquo

Go to the person's clan profile (for example, I can get to your clan profile by clicking your name under your little avatar picture there by the side of your post). Then find the send message button. In the attachments part of the message, you can type in an amount of treasure, or an amount of gems! By clicking on the little grey squares, you can also attach items from your hoard.

Was that helpful?
1 2 3 4 5 6