Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | totally bummed
1 2 3 4 5 6
I lost two dragons, five or six boons, and roughly 1.8 million.
I also lost a good two and a half hours of Coli leveling.

I'm happy they rolled back, because I'd much rather lose that, than have hundreds of millions of duped Treasure, Gems, and duped Kickstarter items floating around. It's not very cool it happened, I wish it hadn't obviously, but it did and I firmly believe the admins made the right choice.

Hopefully, like all other bumps, this is an experience that everyone learns from and makes the site a better place.

Edit;
For clarification, I'm not saying I don't think those who are unhappy should be okay with it. It's a mistake. Mistakes happen. Mistakes will always happen. It's similar to playing Pokemon on the handheld, the battery dying and you lose half a day's worth of playing. It sucks, of course. You want to throw the freaking thing at a wall for a bit. It happens though, and you either roll with it, or you end up giving up. If you give up on a game every time you have a problem or something malfunctions, you probably won't be playing most games very long, though.
I lost two dragons, five or six boons, and roughly 1.8 million.
I also lost a good two and a half hours of Coli leveling.

I'm happy they rolled back, because I'd much rather lose that, than have hundreds of millions of duped Treasure, Gems, and duped Kickstarter items floating around. It's not very cool it happened, I wish it hadn't obviously, but it did and I firmly believe the admins made the right choice.

Hopefully, like all other bumps, this is an experience that everyone learns from and makes the site a better place.

Edit;
For clarification, I'm not saying I don't think those who are unhappy should be okay with it. It's a mistake. Mistakes happen. Mistakes will always happen. It's similar to playing Pokemon on the handheld, the battery dying and you lose half a day's worth of playing. It sucks, of course. You want to throw the freaking thing at a wall for a bit. It happens though, and you either roll with it, or you end up giving up. If you give up on a game every time you have a problem or something malfunctions, you probably won't be playing most games very long, though.
ilvdhl.jpg
A very kind friend and I bred our dragons who each had 1 gene.
Today all when back in egg form in her nest to be hatched.
She hatched them and sent me one out of 3 which we previously
agree upon in our first clutch. Not only did she send a nice baby
hatchling that carried my dragon's gene, she also sent me 30k!

I was not expecting this at all. How very kind of her! I am amazed.
A very kind friend and I bred our dragons who each had 1 gene.
Today all when back in egg form in her nest to be hatched.
She hatched them and sent me one out of 3 which we previously
agree upon in our first clutch. Not only did she send a nice baby
hatchling that carried my dragon's gene, she also sent me 30k!

I was not expecting this at all. How very kind of her! I am amazed.
9a90ef0d-eb23-4613-96b5-c7dffca0daa8_zps83b228cd.jpg
"You either roll with it, or you end up giving up. If you give up on a game every time you have a problem or something malfunctions, you probably won't be playing most games very long, though."

It takes a lot to make me think of quitting a game, I've been playing games for decades. This is, for some of us, considerably worse than loosing two hours of Pokemon. It's days, even weeks of planning. It's not that we just have to re-do our progress, it's that we've lost things that are not possible to replace without admin help.
"You either roll with it, or you end up giving up. If you give up on a game every time you have a problem or something malfunctions, you probably won't be playing most games very long, though."

It takes a lot to make me think of quitting a game, I've been playing games for decades. This is, for some of us, considerably worse than loosing two hours of Pokemon. It's days, even weeks of planning. It's not that we just have to re-do our progress, it's that we've lost things that are not possible to replace without admin help.
I also was hit a little bit by the rollback. While it didn't take long to sell the spiral girl I had, I used the money from the sale to buy a gorgeous Shadow/Rose irishim pearlcatcher and a heavily coveted double Mulberry G1 for only 10k.

Logged in last night and Poof! Both gone.

I was very sad :(

Despite the loss, I do understand that the rollback was probably the only thing that could have been done to fix to the immediate problem. Am I disappointed? Yes. Do I think this could have been handled better? Absolutely. Am I mad at the Admins for this? No.

It would be very easy for me to pin all my heartache on them, and blame them for what happened, but then I remember that this happened because of a select group of people who became as greedy as the dragons we play with, and chose to exploit the site and ruin it for everyone rather than report a dumb glitch. THOSE are the people I'm mad at, who deserve my anger, not the admins or anyone else. Heck, the Admins are probably more upset than anybody else because they knew how badly everyone would react and how upset everyone would be!

It would be very easy for me to become very angry over this, but I'm choosing to let it go because its just a game, and I'm not going to let it get me down.

Life is too short to get all upset over a bunch of pixels.
I also was hit a little bit by the rollback. While it didn't take long to sell the spiral girl I had, I used the money from the sale to buy a gorgeous Shadow/Rose irishim pearlcatcher and a heavily coveted double Mulberry G1 for only 10k.

Logged in last night and Poof! Both gone.

I was very sad :(

Despite the loss, I do understand that the rollback was probably the only thing that could have been done to fix to the immediate problem. Am I disappointed? Yes. Do I think this could have been handled better? Absolutely. Am I mad at the Admins for this? No.

It would be very easy for me to pin all my heartache on them, and blame them for what happened, but then I remember that this happened because of a select group of people who became as greedy as the dragons we play with, and chose to exploit the site and ruin it for everyone rather than report a dumb glitch. THOSE are the people I'm mad at, who deserve my anger, not the admins or anyone else. Heck, the Admins are probably more upset than anybody else because they knew how badly everyone would react and how upset everyone would be!

It would be very easy for me to become very angry over this, but I'm choosing to let it go because its just a game, and I'm not going to let it get me down.

Life is too short to get all upset over a bunch of pixels.
ybwf4f9.gif
You don't know how many people exploited it. You don't know how many dragons/scrolls/etc were bought by that ill-gotten treasure/gems. You just don't know.

Unfortunately a rollback was the fastest and surest thing to do. I do think more backups should be made so you can further minimize the loss, but I do think it was the best course of action. If it had just been a few people, I have no doubt they could have punished just those people. But we don't know all of the details.
You don't know how many people exploited it. You don't know how many dragons/scrolls/etc were bought by that ill-gotten treasure/gems. You just don't know.

Unfortunately a rollback was the fastest and surest thing to do. I do think more backups should be made so you can further minimize the loss, but I do think it was the best course of action. If it had just been a few people, I have no doubt they could have punished just those people. But we don't know all of the details.
I understand the need for a rollback, and I am glad they did it when it was necessary rather than waiting around to have to rollback even further. But it just feels like a big dollap of icing on an already disfunctional cake. I have been saying to myself over and over "oh it's a new site, oh problems are expected. oh they have a lot more members than they expected" and I've been just rolling with it. But I'm unsure how much longer the "it's a new site, it's getting there" repetition is going to make sense.

I lost about 120k worth of boring coliseum farming time and I'm moderately upset, especially since I can still /see/ the speckle gene on my ridgeback I bought but it isn't actually there. Everytime I look at my lair I think "there's two hours of my life for nothing". I won't be quitting (yet) but let me tell you, I will not be spending my time farming for money any time soon.

I almost wish we hadn't even gotten an apology package, if that is what it was going to be. The chest was nice- that was a good move. So was a little good. But 5k? What is 5k? Somehow getting 5k in my mail today has made me feel worse about it than a good old 'we are so sorry" alone would have. I understand not wanting to flood the economy with magic money (though a lack of treasure seems to be a problem lately, with the lag) but. 5k. That's such a weird amount.

BUT oh well. Some people got better babies, some people got worse, some lost money, etc. For the site's sake, I hope it doesn't happen again. I enjoy the admins and I feel they actually care, so I think they will be more careful.
I understand the need for a rollback, and I am glad they did it when it was necessary rather than waiting around to have to rollback even further. But it just feels like a big dollap of icing on an already disfunctional cake. I have been saying to myself over and over "oh it's a new site, oh problems are expected. oh they have a lot more members than they expected" and I've been just rolling with it. But I'm unsure how much longer the "it's a new site, it's getting there" repetition is going to make sense.

I lost about 120k worth of boring coliseum farming time and I'm moderately upset, especially since I can still /see/ the speckle gene on my ridgeback I bought but it isn't actually there. Everytime I look at my lair I think "there's two hours of my life for nothing". I won't be quitting (yet) but let me tell you, I will not be spending my time farming for money any time soon.

I almost wish we hadn't even gotten an apology package, if that is what it was going to be. The chest was nice- that was a good move. So was a little good. But 5k? What is 5k? Somehow getting 5k in my mail today has made me feel worse about it than a good old 'we are so sorry" alone would have. I understand not wanting to flood the economy with magic money (though a lack of treasure seems to be a problem lately, with the lag) but. 5k. That's such a weird amount.

BUT oh well. Some people got better babies, some people got worse, some lost money, etc. For the site's sake, I hope it doesn't happen again. I enjoy the admins and I feel they actually care, so I think they will be more careful.
I'm.. very glad I haven't been playing the site much at all due to all these problems that are happening. :( Almost afraid to do any playing since there are constant problems here since opening and goodness knows when things will be lost again, haha.
I'm.. very glad I haven't been playing the site much at all due to all these problems that are happening. :( Almost afraid to do any playing since there are constant problems here since opening and goodness knows when things will be lost again, haha.
Bhg9NbZ.gif
I feel so bad for all the people who lost wonderful hatchlings or new dream dragons and am so angry at the people who took advantage of the glitch to ruin it for everyone. Also thinking about the admins and devs....trying so hard to get this amazing new game stable and keep getting hit with problems caused by other people. Sure, they lacked some foresight in not having bigger better servers but wouldn't we all do better if we had crystal balls? Anyway hugs to those lost important things. Hope you all stay for the good parts!
I feel so bad for all the people who lost wonderful hatchlings or new dream dragons and am so angry at the people who took advantage of the glitch to ruin it for everyone. Also thinking about the admins and devs....trying so hard to get this amazing new game stable and keep getting hit with problems caused by other people. Sure, they lacked some foresight in not having bigger better servers but wouldn't we all do better if we had crystal balls? Anyway hugs to those lost important things. Hope you all stay for the good parts!
muwi1j.jpg
While I was not personally effected (I had signed off before the rollback time, and when I tried to log in the next day, it was already in maintenance mode), I have to say, I really do kinda blame the admins in a way (well, obviously not as much as I blame the exploiters, which I hope get their bad karma).

Why?

Because the treasure bug had been an issue for DAYS. DAYS.

I have been watching the bugs forum closely since the site issues and lag, and I saw that there was a bug where people were spontaneously losing or gaining treasure, so I was fearful of spending my own. I've been sitting on it for days and just watching and waiting. Trying to see when the bug would be fixed.
People continued to report things such as losing money from messages and even money NOT being taken away when they purchased things. All the people that reported were obviously honorable in their attempts to not spend that money they shouldn't have, and were constantly asking the admins for what to do. The mods tried to get answers, but I never saw any.

Then, (from what I saw, since I wasn't online) the bug got worse and exploitation became even easier. It was then that the site was taken down.

Honestly, it should have been taken down days before, when the bug first appeared. I know that there is that whole line 'they needed to track the bug to find it', but people were losing treasure earned from selling GEMS even. Sorry, but it really should have been taken down sooner. And people were just told to send emails to staff... but honestly, their inbox is probably full of SO MANY emails right now with people trying to get things rectified. I really feel that the issue should have been addressed sooner.

Yes, I understand why the rollback happened. The exploitation went rampant and had to be stopped. I am glad that the issue seems to be fixed now. I am thankful that I lost nothing. But I am still disappointed. Having to spend days, fearful to spend any of my treasure on anything because I might lose it was/is awful. But that is NOTHING compared to all of you who have lost so much because of the rollback. I really feel awful for all of you, and I wish there was some real way you all could be compensated. Because, as others have said, the care package is nothing. It's like giving someone a card but no gift. 'It's the thought that counts'. I understand the sentiment is nice, but the action still does nothing for those who were affected. :C

Sorry to you all! I just hope that you all can find a reason to stay still! I hope that once this site is running smoothly again, you will want to stay as well. Despite everything, I really DO like this site and want to stay myself... but I can understand all the reasons why others would not want to.
While I was not personally effected (I had signed off before the rollback time, and when I tried to log in the next day, it was already in maintenance mode), I have to say, I really do kinda blame the admins in a way (well, obviously not as much as I blame the exploiters, which I hope get their bad karma).

Why?

Because the treasure bug had been an issue for DAYS. DAYS.

I have been watching the bugs forum closely since the site issues and lag, and I saw that there was a bug where people were spontaneously losing or gaining treasure, so I was fearful of spending my own. I've been sitting on it for days and just watching and waiting. Trying to see when the bug would be fixed.
People continued to report things such as losing money from messages and even money NOT being taken away when they purchased things. All the people that reported were obviously honorable in their attempts to not spend that money they shouldn't have, and were constantly asking the admins for what to do. The mods tried to get answers, but I never saw any.

Then, (from what I saw, since I wasn't online) the bug got worse and exploitation became even easier. It was then that the site was taken down.

Honestly, it should have been taken down days before, when the bug first appeared. I know that there is that whole line 'they needed to track the bug to find it', but people were losing treasure earned from selling GEMS even. Sorry, but it really should have been taken down sooner. And people were just told to send emails to staff... but honestly, their inbox is probably full of SO MANY emails right now with people trying to get things rectified. I really feel that the issue should have been addressed sooner.

Yes, I understand why the rollback happened. The exploitation went rampant and had to be stopped. I am glad that the issue seems to be fixed now. I am thankful that I lost nothing. But I am still disappointed. Having to spend days, fearful to spend any of my treasure on anything because I might lose it was/is awful. But that is NOTHING compared to all of you who have lost so much because of the rollback. I really feel awful for all of you, and I wish there was some real way you all could be compensated. Because, as others have said, the care package is nothing. It's like giving someone a card but no gift. 'It's the thought that counts'. I understand the sentiment is nice, but the action still does nothing for those who were affected. :C

Sorry to you all! I just hope that you all can find a reason to stay still! I hope that once this site is running smoothly again, you will want to stay as well. Despite everything, I really DO like this site and want to stay myself... but I can understand all the reasons why others would not want to.
@Lexx
Quote:
Akiri: let me provide some background on the issue since there seem to be some gross misconceptions on why the rollback occurred here and the related bug.

That thread you linked is originally a different issue. I was tired and trying to implement a fix for just that issue which had not been too bad since we were able to stay mostly on top of it. This is when the real issue occurred.

My "fix" was unsuccessful in one of the areas I applied it to and made things terribly worse. Xhaztol and one of the mods caught the issue shortly afterwards and I went to correct what went wrong. However, after fixing the problem, I encountered millions of counterfeit treasure and gems. It was no longer an isolated bug we were trying to track, it was a full blown exploit. These gems and treasure had already been used to buy out whatever players wanted causing further spread of the issue. I was left very little choice past that point seeing the widespread economic corruption caused by exploitation of the bug. So the issue that needed the rollback occurred DURING the rollback period.

Also, gem purchases were refunded for the period of the rollback, no users lost real money.

Really, the only way rollbacks can be prevented is this:
1: I need to get some sleep so I don't make horrendous mistakes.
2: Players not exploit.

I can't control the second one, so I'll try to do better on the first one.

With that, I'm off to try to get some sleep.

Sorry for the mess.

Xhaz edit: The above post was made by Akiri. :) Corrected it.
@Lexx
Quote:
Akiri: let me provide some background on the issue since there seem to be some gross misconceptions on why the rollback occurred here and the related bug.

That thread you linked is originally a different issue. I was tired and trying to implement a fix for just that issue which had not been too bad since we were able to stay mostly on top of it. This is when the real issue occurred.

My "fix" was unsuccessful in one of the areas I applied it to and made things terribly worse. Xhaztol and one of the mods caught the issue shortly afterwards and I went to correct what went wrong. However, after fixing the problem, I encountered millions of counterfeit treasure and gems. It was no longer an isolated bug we were trying to track, it was a full blown exploit. These gems and treasure had already been used to buy out whatever players wanted causing further spread of the issue. I was left very little choice past that point seeing the widespread economic corruption caused by exploitation of the bug. So the issue that needed the rollback occurred DURING the rollback period.

Also, gem purchases were refunded for the period of the rollback, no users lost real money.

Really, the only way rollbacks can be prevented is this:
1: I need to get some sleep so I don't make horrendous mistakes.
2: Players not exploit.

I can't control the second one, so I'll try to do better on the first one.

With that, I'm off to try to get some sleep.

Sorry for the mess.

Xhaz edit: The above post was made by Akiri. :) Corrected it.
1 2 3 4 5 6