Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Just how big is Sornieth?
[quote name="Undel" date="2024-06-08 04:18:17" ] After decades spent [b]circumnavigating the globe[/b], a pod of Fathom dragons has returned once more. [/quote] This new bit of lore has inspired me to pick up [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3209646]where I left off[/url] in calculating the size of Sornieth! Without further ado, I give you... [size=4][b]PART TWO: How big is Sornieth's globe, and how large are each of the individual elemental regions?[/b][/size] [b]Canonically, Sornieth's globe has a total surface area of 443,109,220 sq mi compared to earth's 196,900,000 sq mi, and an equatorial circumference of 37,352 mi compared to earth's 24,901 mi.[/b] Thanks to [i]Words on the Wind[/i] we know that [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1242993#:~:text=roughly%20one%20and%20a%20half%20times%20the%20radius]Sornieth's radius is roughly 1.5 times the radius of our planet earth[/url]. Earth's equatorial radius is 3963.19 miles [url=https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/earthfact.html]according to NASA[/url], which means Sornieth's equatorial radius is roughly 5,944.79 miles. Since planets are not perfect spheres but rather oblate spheroids, calculating their exact surface area is a lot more complicated than a simple A=4πr^2, but for the sake of time, space, and my personal sanity I won't go into details here. Assuming Sornieth is an oblate spheroid of the same proportions as our planet, its total surface area (including oceans) comes out to be around [b]443,109,220 square miles[/b]. This means Sornieth's surface area is [i]more than double[/i] the total surface area of earth. That's a lot of real estate! [b]My non-canon claim is that the elemental supercontinent covers approximately half of the globe, and therefore each elemental region is roughly the size of our continent Eurasia.[/b] Admittedly there is heavy guesswork involved here and I've made several assumptions, so none of this should be considered as anything more than conjecture. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3209646]Several pieces from Flight Rising's lore[/url] have led me to believe the supercontinent of Sornieth (including the inland Sea) occupies approximately half of the globe, or [b]221,554,610 square miles[/b]. Divide this number into 11 and you end up with [b]20,141,328 square miles[/b] for each elemental region, which is nearly the size of earth's continent Eurasia (21,140,000 square miles). [b]So where have the Fathoms been? What is on the other side of the planet?[/b] If you are with me in assuming the supercontinent takes up around half of the globe, that means there is an entire other hemisphere mostly unaccounted for! Even you don't, the circumference of Sornieth around its equator is approximately [b]37,352 miles[/b], so circumnavigating the globe is quite a feat. No wonder the Fathoms have been gone for several decades! I have to assume there is more land out there, or at least something of significance to the Fathoms. Newly created volcanic isles? Plentiful reefs in warm shallow waters? Perhaps treasure, and even sentient cultures with which to trade their plundered goods? I can't imagine dragons would traverse such a vast ocean without a reason, especially loot-lovers like the Fathom pod. [b]What are your thoughts?[/b]
Undel wrote on 2024-06-08 04:18:17:
After decades spent circumnavigating the globe, a pod of Fathom dragons has returned once more.

This new bit of lore has inspired me to pick up where I left off in calculating the size of Sornieth! Without further ado, I give you...

PART TWO: How big is Sornieth's globe, and how large are each of the individual elemental regions?

Canonically, Sornieth's globe has a total surface area of 443,109,220 sq mi compared to earth's 196,900,000 sq mi, and an equatorial circumference of 37,352 mi compared to earth's 24,901 mi.

Thanks to Words on the Wind we know that Sornieth's radius is roughly 1.5 times the radius of our planet earth. Earth's equatorial radius is 3963.19 miles according to NASA, which means Sornieth's equatorial radius is roughly 5,944.79 miles. Since planets are not perfect spheres but rather oblate spheroids, calculating their exact surface area is a lot more complicated than a simple A=4πr^2, but for the sake of time, space, and my personal sanity I won't go into details here. Assuming Sornieth is an oblate spheroid of the same proportions as our planet, its total surface area (including oceans) comes out to be around 443,109,220 square miles. This means Sornieth's surface area is more than double the total surface area of earth. That's a lot of real estate!

My non-canon claim is that the elemental supercontinent covers approximately half of the globe, and therefore each elemental region is roughly the size of our continent Eurasia.

Admittedly there is heavy guesswork involved here and I've made several assumptions, so none of this should be considered as anything more than conjecture. Several pieces from Flight Rising's lore have led me to believe the supercontinent of Sornieth (including the inland Sea) occupies approximately half of the globe, or 221,554,610 square miles. Divide this number into 11 and you end up with 20,141,328 square miles for each elemental region, which is nearly the size of earth's continent Eurasia (21,140,000 square miles).

So where have the Fathoms been? What is on the other side of the planet?

If you are with me in assuming the supercontinent takes up around half of the globe, that means there is an entire other hemisphere mostly unaccounted for! Even you don't, the circumference of Sornieth around its equator is approximately 37,352 miles, so circumnavigating the globe is quite a feat. No wonder the Fathoms have been gone for several decades! I have to assume there is more land out there, or at least something of significance to the Fathoms. Newly created volcanic isles? Plentiful reefs in warm shallow waters? Perhaps treasure, and even sentient cultures with which to trade their plundered goods? I can't imagine dragons would traverse such a vast ocean without a reason, especially loot-lovers like the Fathom pod.

What are your thoughts?
gFvy9jg.png JI7OqcB.png gFvy9jg.png
Elaine
she/her
queer
FR+3
ping me!
lKSY9Uw.png gFvy9jg.png
1. It would be so funny (but also infurating) if the Aethers were able to see the other half of Sornieth from the space station; but no one bothered to write it down (or if they did, the knowledge was lost somehow...)

2. In the event that did happen; hopefully our faithful Fathoms can tell us a thing or two about what's on the other end of the globe. Maybe not during this event; but I'd still love to hear the stories.

3. Dang, Sornieth is huge!

Actually, speaking of ancients, I wonder what the landmasses looked like in the ancient days? Because it probably was a lot different back then, what with all the elemental gods sending their first children to shape it.
1. It would be so funny (but also infurating) if the Aethers were able to see the other half of Sornieth from the space station; but no one bothered to write it down (or if they did, the knowledge was lost somehow...)

2. In the event that did happen; hopefully our faithful Fathoms can tell us a thing or two about what's on the other end of the globe. Maybe not during this event; but I'd still love to hear the stories.

Actually, speaking of ancients, I wonder what the landmasses looked like in the ancient days? Because it probably was a lot different back then, what with all the elemental gods sending their first children to shape it.
Fishes __ she/her | +3 FR time
wishlist | avatar
____
c7f927562db794324e2d8df76f939ee553b9c321.png
at least 10 square meters
they/them - geologist & artist

art + tabletop gaming blog
I mean... who's to say there even [i]is[/i] anything on the other side? Perhaps in several hundred million years the plates will shift far enough that most elemental regions are separated by great oceans [emoji=glasses size=1] I do like the idea of there being at least one other continent or supercontinent on the other side though... I yearn for exploration...
I mean... who's to say there even is anything on the other side? Perhaps in several hundred million years the plates will shift far enough that most elemental regions are separated by great oceans

I do like the idea of there being at least one other continent or supercontinent on the other side though... I yearn for exploration...
bopkvX7.png6uOrxEk.pnglPoxjfq.pngI90HedT.png4BDFKZ4.png
@Fishes [quote name="Fishes" date="2024-06-10 18:28:47" ] 3. Dang, Sornieth is huge! [/quote] Right?? If I could choose one thing people walked away with from this post, it's this bit of information. I was blown away the first time I calculated the surface area of the planet based on the info from [i]Words on the Wind[/i]. Unless they retcon that measurement, or mathematics works differently in this universe, there is a [i]massive[/i] world out there, and at least half of it is completely unknown to us as players. I would love it if they made it into an explorable globe like Neopets. Also, the Aethers definitely ate all the maps that documented the dark side of the planet.
@Fishes
Fishes wrote on 2024-06-10 18:28:47:

Right?? If I could choose one thing people walked away with from this post, it's this bit of information. I was blown away the first time I calculated the surface area of the planet based on the info from Words on the Wind. Unless they retcon that measurement, or mathematics works differently in this universe, there is a massive world out there, and at least half of it is completely unknown to us as players.

I would love it if they made it into an explorable globe like Neopets.

Also, the Aethers definitely ate all the maps that documented the dark side of the planet.
Elaine
she/her
queer
FR+3
ping me!
lKSY9Uw.png gFvy9jg.png
@Halkiierid [quote name="Halkiierid" date="2024-06-10 19:03:45" ] at least 10 square meters [/quote] This is even funnier considering you're a geologist [emoji=skydancer laughing size=1]
@Halkiierid
Halkiierid wrote on 2024-06-10 19:03:45:

This is even funnier considering you're a geologist
Elaine
she/her
queer
FR+3
ping me!
lKSY9Uw.png gFvy9jg.png
pretty big
pretty big
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
I hypothesize that the supercontinent map actually covers only 1/4 of the actual planet's surface.

Consider that the ice cap is in the south, but there is no ice in the north. Instead, the northern part of the supercontinent contains Earth Flight (desert) and Nature Flight (tropical forest). Warm climates.

Thus: The continent is in the southern hemisphere, and Sornieth's equator is at or near the top of the map.
I hypothesize that the supercontinent map actually covers only 1/4 of the actual planet's surface.

Consider that the ice cap is in the south, but there is no ice in the north. Instead, the northern part of the supercontinent contains Earth Flight (desert) and Nature Flight (tropical forest). Warm climates.

Thus: The continent is in the southern hemisphere, and Sornieth's equator is at or near the top of the map.
Do you like familiar matching~? Come check it out.
boo.pngBoolean.png
[quote name="@Fishes" date="2024-06-10 18:28:47" ] 1. It would be so funny (but also infurating) if the Aethers were able to see the other half of Sornieth from the space station; but no one bothered to write it down ([b]or if they did, the knowledge was lost somehow[/b]...)[/quote] they ate their notes... that must be it
@Fishes wrote on 2024-06-10 18:28:47:
they ate their notes... that must be it
c64qslB.png iejIbGt.png 7nuk9Ck.png
[quote name="Xhaztol" date="2024-06-10 21:55:37" ] pretty big [/quote] at least like... the size of five blue whales
Xhaztol wrote on 2024-06-10 21:55:37:
pretty big

at least like... the size of five blue whales
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.png4SzSxLW.pngHouhGS9.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.png