Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Achievements Update - Nearly There!
The anniversary is [b]a little under a month away[/b] and it's been a whole-team push to get us to the finish line. I'm really proud of the enormous effort everyone has put into such a [i]gigantic[/i] feature since the end of last year. We wanted to give a short update about how we're approaching wrapping things up for for prime-time: [size=4][b][emoji=achievement size=1] Achievement & Pursuit Testing [emoji=pursuit size=1][/b][/size] To date, one of the most most challenging phases for this feature is testing. There are [b]hundreds of achievements[/b] and [b]a ton of pursuits[/b]. Creating a testing environment that allow us to see each of these objectives in its various stages of completion is a daunting task. Due to the thousands of variables that all need to be working at the same time in conjunction with each other, this makes it difficult to emulate or stress test these systems on our test platforms. In order to achieve our goal of the anniversary launch with comprehensive testing beforehand [i]and[/i] without crunching our engineers, we've been leveraging live gameplay data and events from the production website to help us! Using active player behavior and event logging helps us supplement test initiatives that are difficult—and sometimes impossible—to complete without heavy manipulation, and not truly indicative of how things will play out once everything is launched. There is no better way to prove out the new Achievements system than by feeding it exactly the kind of varied, constant, and authentic data it needs. [b]What data does this include?[/b] This includes information like [b]account feature unlocks[/b], interactions with [b]activities[/b], [b]nest laying[/b] and [b]hatching[/b], [b]item collection[/b], etc. To be clear, the live data we're using for testing is data and information that's already logged to make the different aspects of [i]Flight Rising[/i] run. This information has proven to be instrumental in helping us test the broad and extensive achievements and pursuits systems. [info]Information about the data we collect on our website can be found in our [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/privacy-policy]Privacy Policy.[/url][/b][/info] [b]Does this mean some achievements and pursuits may already be completed on launch day (June 8th)?[/b] [b]The short answer is[/b]: we're not quite sure yet. [b]The longer answer is complex[/b]: While the live data is extremely helpful for testing, there are some instances where it might not be appropriate, fair, or safe (from a technical standpoint) to have achievements and pursuits initialize as completed right out of the gate on launch day. If it's possible, we'll certainly try, but our engineering team will be erring on the side of caution in ensuring that the systems are working—for everyone—from June 8th and onward. In the mean time, we would greatly appreciate it if everyone interacted with [i]Flight Rising[/i] in exactly the same manner as you have been: play as you typically do and just have fun! That will be the most valuable to us and the best chance at strengthening and smoothing out the upcoming launch.
The anniversary is a little under a month away and it's been a whole-team push to get us to the finish line. I'm really proud of the enormous effort everyone has put into such a gigantic feature since the end of last year.

We wanted to give a short update about how we're approaching wrapping things up for for prime-time:

Achievement & Pursuit Testing

To date, one of the most most challenging phases for this feature is testing. There are hundreds of achievements and a ton of pursuits. Creating a testing environment that allow us to see each of these objectives in its various stages of completion is a daunting task. Due to the thousands of variables that all need to be working at the same time in conjunction with each other, this makes it difficult to emulate or stress test these systems on our test platforms.

In order to achieve our goal of the anniversary launch with comprehensive testing beforehand and without crunching our engineers, we've been leveraging live gameplay data and events from the production website to help us! Using active player behavior and event logging helps us supplement test initiatives that are difficult—and sometimes impossible—to complete without heavy manipulation, and not truly indicative of how things will play out once everything is launched. There is no better way to prove out the new Achievements system than by feeding it exactly the kind of varied, constant, and authentic data it needs.

What data does this include?

This includes information like account feature unlocks, interactions with activities, nest laying and hatching, item collection, etc. To be clear, the live data we're using for testing is data and information that's already logged to make the different aspects of Flight Rising run. This information has proven to be instrumental in helping us test the broad and extensive achievements and pursuits systems.
Information about the data we collect on our website can be found in our Privacy Policy.

Does this mean some achievements and pursuits may already be completed on launch day (June 8th)?

The short answer is: we're not quite sure yet.

The longer answer is complex: While the live data is extremely helpful for testing, there are some instances where it might not be appropriate, fair, or safe (from a technical standpoint) to have achievements and pursuits initialize as completed right out of the gate on launch day. If it's possible, we'll certainly try, but our engineering team will be erring on the side of caution in ensuring that the systems are working—for everyone—from June 8th and onward. In the mean time, we would greatly appreciate it if everyone interacted with Flight Rising in exactly the same manner as you have been: play as you typically do and just have fun!

That will be the most valuable to us and the best chance at strengthening and smoothing out the upcoming launch.
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
Unstickying.
Unstickying.
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer