Flight Rising Discussion
Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | neurodiversity vistas?
1 2 3
Even though I'm ND I never really got informed on the symbols and flags. I agree that some are heavily disputed and it would be a worse situation to remove it later after a study finds it's actually part of another syndrome or something - two umbrella disabilities + ND flags would work better.

Also with the LGBTQ+ flags being a panorama, I'd LOVE a second one, but a dual vista that matches would also be really cute.
Even though I'm ND I never really got informed on the symbols and flags. I agree that some are heavily disputed and it would be a worse situation to remove it later after a study finds it's actually part of another syndrome or something - two umbrella disabilities + ND flags would work better.

Also with the LGBTQ+ flags being a panorama, I'd LOVE a second one, but a dual vista that matches would also be really cute.
QYzhmAi.png
Hm, I’m ND myself, but I’m going to have to say I think it’s not a great idea right now.

It’s not because I don’t want people to express their identity on their page or anything like that. I want people to find pride, acceptance, and community for their identity online.

The problem with making ND flags is that it’s not a widespread topic. While a rainbow infinity sign is used as an umbrella symbol for neurodivergence, it’s pretty heavily associated with ASD. Sometimes ADHD. But never anything else. Outside the ND community, it’s still incredibly commonplace to see the puzzle piece, which is something that should be avoided for other neurodivergences as well

Not to mention how much debate there is about what “counts” as neurodivergence. While the person who created the term says it applies to anybody whose brain works different than standard (and I agree) many people also try to decide which disorders do or don’t belong in the community. ASD and ADHD are widely accepted, but is OCD? Is schizophrenia? Is depression? There’s a push in some places in the community to see ASD and ADHD as positive things and away from seeing them as disorders or disabilities (I say to each their own, ADHD is very much a disability for me) but we don’t see that for things like schizophrenia or OCD and is that a conversation we want staff to take a side on? Especially if they aren’t part of the community themselves?

If they include all those identities (although with what flag?) then there absolutely will be fierce backlash against it, which would be harmful. And if they don’t, wouldn’t that be conscious exclusion of people?

Pride flags are pretty well-established and while there are exclusionists concerning aroace and trans identities, they are the minority in spaces like this. Neurodivergence is not in such a fortunate position so I think at this point it’s not a good choice.
Hm, I’m ND myself, but I’m going to have to say I think it’s not a great idea right now.

It’s not because I don’t want people to express their identity on their page or anything like that. I want people to find pride, acceptance, and community for their identity online.

The problem with making ND flags is that it’s not a widespread topic. While a rainbow infinity sign is used as an umbrella symbol for neurodivergence, it’s pretty heavily associated with ASD. Sometimes ADHD. But never anything else. Outside the ND community, it’s still incredibly commonplace to see the puzzle piece, which is something that should be avoided for other neurodivergences as well

Not to mention how much debate there is about what “counts” as neurodivergence. While the person who created the term says it applies to anybody whose brain works different than standard (and I agree) many people also try to decide which disorders do or don’t belong in the community. ASD and ADHD are widely accepted, but is OCD? Is schizophrenia? Is depression? There’s a push in some places in the community to see ASD and ADHD as positive things and away from seeing them as disorders or disabilities (I say to each their own, ADHD is very much a disability for me) but we don’t see that for things like schizophrenia or OCD and is that a conversation we want staff to take a side on? Especially if they aren’t part of the community themselves?

If they include all those identities (although with what flag?) then there absolutely will be fierce backlash against it, which would be harmful. And if they don’t, wouldn’t that be conscious exclusion of people?

Pride flags are pretty well-established and while there are exclusionists concerning aroace and trans identities, they are the minority in spaces like this. Neurodivergence is not in such a fortunate position so I think at this point it’s not a good choice.

Rein
She/Her
FR+1
secret message! secret message! in the signature!
secret, secret, secret, secret message!
right_ghosty.gif
80247290.png
"One day you will be old enough to
start reading fairytales again."
[quote name="RallraxAuri" date="2023-01-20 00:39:50" ] This would be nice but then, what about the other people with other things? What about the other sexualities or other disorders or other genders that don't get added? Not everyone will be happy no matter what ends up getting added. I don't think they need to add more. [/quote] It's a little late to avoid this now, tho. Some identities now have official representation in the form of vistas and some don't, that's already the case.
RallraxAuri wrote on 2023-01-20 00:39:50:
This would be nice but then, what about the other people with other things? What about the other sexualities or other disorders or other genders that don't get added? Not everyone will be happy no matter what ends up getting added. I don't think they need to add more.
It's a little late to avoid this now, tho. Some identities now have official representation in the form of vistas and some don't, that's already the case.
Walk this valley of death, head high
Say "I'll be back, today I won't die"
'Cause try as we might, we can never deny
We can get back up, if we're still alive

KnCHVU9.png
Good morning! Thank you to everyone for engaging in constructive discussion on this subject. I am locking this thread now, for two reasons:

First, it's a suggestion and we asked for suggestions on the vista update be sent directly to us through Contact Us. Second, it's a suggestion that leads to non-gameplay, technically off-topic discussion, and we've asked in the past for suggestions and feedback of that nature to be sent directly to us through Contact Us. Thank you!
Good morning! Thank you to everyone for engaging in constructive discussion on this subject. I am locking this thread now, for two reasons:

First, it's a suggestion and we asked for suggestions on the vista update be sent directly to us through Contact Us. Second, it's a suggestion that leads to non-gameplay, technically off-topic discussion, and we've asked in the past for suggestions and feedback of that nature to be sent directly to us through Contact Us. Thank you!
1 2 3