Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Worldbulding] Dragon Sexuality
1 2 3 4 5
Or, I ramble about removing Sornieth from Earth context, and applying what I want to take into account from game mechanics to lore, and how I ended up with just over two thousand potential dragon sexualities. Assuming I understand how math works, which is a bit of an ask.

Interested? Well, grab some tea or a sandwich, and let’s start with some -

Background Information
Or, how Almedha thinks about lore with a five-year-old-Neanderthal brain

I started to thinking about this when a potential roleplaying partner asked what one of my dragon’s sexuality was - and I was like, “You know? None of these. All of these? Yes.” Because I don’t tend to like my fantasy non-human creatures to lean on the way humans work. I know that’s not everyone’s jam - and that’s cool! One person’s hamfisted is another person’s deep and meaningful, as the old saying goes. Fantasy is fantasy. No one is invalidated because I don’t want to have a fantasy story wherein the principal lifeforms - winged lizards ranging in size from .5 m to 30 m - societally match humans on Earth 1:1. Almedha’s decision that it's not as fun for dragons to have sexualities like you (or me) says nothing about you or me, a human, on Earth.

I like it when games conform their mechanics to lore as best and often as they can. Obviously, sometimes this is impossible. Sometimes pressing F is just pressing F. That said, I usually try to integrate mechanics as much as possible. In places where this doesn’t make sense, I pick whichever concept I like best and keep that one. I happen to like this one.

I also don’t like lore that isn’t collected in one, simple, easy-to-find place. For my own sanity, all canon lore for an IP is collected within that IP’s medium. Flight Rising is especially egregious in part because some “lore” written by staff has in the past been explicitly not-canon. Therefore, to me, the encyclopedia and database are king, followed by official art and mechanical implements - and nothing else need be considered canon. “Staff confirmation” of something in a random thread six years ago doesn’t count if it wasn’t added to the encyclopedia somehow, and including it falls into the realm of “headcanon.” I think this approach makes it easier for everyone from the oldest player who doesn’t remember everything to the ones who joined just yesterday and only knows what’s immediately available. Staff confirmation is interesting and indicates the best way to build your lore (if you want to be somewhat canon-compliant) because such concepts might turn up in future canon entries, but otherwise can be ignored. If it’s important, they’ll canonize it in official entries. Otherwise, sorry, but it’s not canon to me.

Yes, I maintain my sanity by some pretty intense selective memory.

EDIT: Speaking of, it seems that dragonkind may simply have just the sexualities that we have, if vistas (Released January 2023) apply to dragons. Either way, we do have staff confirmation that this is true, but that's still, to me, not canon. I think vista descriptions and the nature of vistas overall explicitly exclude them from being canon "information" to Sornieth ("Forum Vistas are cosmetic backgrounds that add flair to your forum posts," is talking to the user, which does not exist). So, uh, all that to say? Nothing. Just rambling to say that it doesn't apply, I guess. END EDIT.

Alright, I just feel like the above philosophy is kind of important to understand heading into this subject. So let’s start with the -

Breeding Mechanics
And whether it’s canon

tl;dr, Yes, I prefer to think the breeding mechanic is canon! Read on, if you want.

I’m not convinced that mixed-species pairings and nests were canon until the release of the Aftershocks story in 2018. This story features a Spiral/Bogsneak pair. This pairing is obviously not as egregious as it could have been - we are all familiar with the idea of a Fae/Imperial pair. However, Spirals are distinctly small, while Bogsneaks are definitely medium-sized. My largest Spiral is still only about 75% the length of my very shortest Bogsneak, and that Bogsneak still needs 2.5 of her to match the length of my biggest one. Very scientific, I know. But you can easily see from others’ more scientific methods that a Bogsneak is very rarely a similar size to a Spiral.

My point is, a Bogsneak can mate with a Spiral. A Fae can mate with an Imperial. Most people seem to tackle this problem quite simply - and I think there’s plenty of canon support to assume this interpretation is the correct one: breeding is not physical. The “nose boop” theory. There is also the “external fertilization” theory, which I am disinclined to use because of the difference in size between an Imperial hatchling and its hypothetical Fae mother that I think is unreasonable to account for in the growth of an egg alone. It could, though. It's a fantasy land. Lots of people subscribe to this, though; I just don’t.

Dragons are primarily magical beings with physical components similar to their forebears. The deities are amalgamations of magic with physical forms. Dragon eggs match the element of the territory in which it is laid - and has nothing to do with neither the breed nor element of the parents. The only thing that is required for breeding is that they match at “type” (Modern or Ancient - with additional caveats for the latter) and diverge at sex.

Which brings me to “male” and “female.” As far as we can tell, most species are not sexually dimorphic. Even in size, the differences are not statistically significant for most breeds - in fact, I believe there are six breeds that have explicit differences between the sexes out of twenty. All other breeds, the differences between “male” and “female” have nothing to do with physical construction - which we may believe is largely represented by breed art because we are told when breed art is not representative. For example, the Tundras are shown in their summer coats, and Bogsneaks are not held to the number of crests shown in their art. This means, even “male” and “female” are largely (if not entirely, for most species) magical differences, not physical ones.

But, importantly, the only thing “male” and “female” matter for is for producing hatchlings. Which, I think, we don’t care about for this discussion to come. Now, keep in mind, this is just purely for… well, “simplicity” is the wrong word. Because even the non-dimorphic species still have and know the differences between male and female (see: Scribbles, member of a non-dimorphic species). I just prefer to think it doesn’t make any difference… Though if you’re talking about two thousand potential sexualities, does increasing to four thousand sexualities really make a difference…? Probably not, honestly. You could, obviously, go as big as you want. I have to have two thousand for my sanity, but four thousand seems counterproductive to that goal. Is that silly?

Probably.

That’s even assuming the only difference is between male and female regardless of element.

I have gotten ahead of myself, so what am I talking about? Good question. I’m talking about -

Dragon Sexuality
But it’s not actually “sexuality”

So, in this context, I think that there is no such thing as “sexuality,” technically, because that’s necessarily physical. (We wouldn’t have differentiated terms for romantic attraction if it were not.) So, to put this in simpler terms, Heterosexual/Homosexual/Bisexual/Asexual (henceforth abbreviated to HHBA, I guess) might exist only in romantic attractions in Sornieth: there need be no such thing as HHBA (unless you want there to be, and more on that later). Most dragons do not have physical differences between sexes and none of them physically breed - therefore, there is no such thing. But I’ll just continue calling whatever-this-is “sexual attraction” because it’s the only thing that translates.

But, with this paradigm, we know what dragons use to breed. Magic.

There are eleven elements that are an intrinsic part of what a dragon is - perhaps more so than their physical being. It determines where they were born, what magic they can do, and, in some cases, even what culture they were raised in and deity they revere most. We know magic has different physical effects and manifestations from the battle stones and descriptions. For example, compare the item descriptions between Mist Slash and Thunder Slash.

Dragons don’t have what we have to call “sexual attraction” based on their physical beings: they have attraction based on their elemental beings. I'd call it "elemental attraction."

Of course, this means that dragons have potentially over two thousand “sexuality” combinations available. (I’m bad at math, but that’s how that works, right?) Dragons who are attracted to Wind, Light, or Nature dragons are different from dragons who are attracted to Wind or Light dragons only, or dragons who are attracted to Wind, Light, or Water dragons. See what I mean? You could have dragons attracted to all elements, dragons attracted to none, and dragons attracted to any combination of those eleven elements.

But, if we wanted to, we could get really crazy and include HHBA sexualities (I suppose there could be a dragon that is not attracted to either sex for the element to which it is attracted?) for each element, if we assume there is, in fact, a magical difference between male and female. So for example, I might have a dragon that’s attracted to male Wind dragons and female Light dragons, but nothing else. Personally? I just prefer the elemental paradigm. It’s much… simpler. Simple being such a relative term...

And more fun than just having to simplify it by saying, “Well, I guess all my dragons are maybe pan, kind of? It’s the closest equivalent I can come up with, even if it really makes no sense…”

The lore possibilities with this paradigm are, frankly, endless. At least for me within my lifetime. And, in my own little opinion, way more interesting. There are two thousand labels to make, here. Or, you know, thirteen used in combination with each other. To keep it simple, you know. So -

That's All, Folks
Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk. I hope it was coherent. Or, at least, I hope it was fun. I promise you, I slept really well last night.
Or, I ramble about removing Sornieth from Earth context, and applying what I want to take into account from game mechanics to lore, and how I ended up with just over two thousand potential dragon sexualities. Assuming I understand how math works, which is a bit of an ask.

Interested? Well, grab some tea or a sandwich, and let’s start with some -

Background Information
Or, how Almedha thinks about lore with a five-year-old-Neanderthal brain

I started to thinking about this when a potential roleplaying partner asked what one of my dragon’s sexuality was - and I was like, “You know? None of these. All of these? Yes.” Because I don’t tend to like my fantasy non-human creatures to lean on the way humans work. I know that’s not everyone’s jam - and that’s cool! One person’s hamfisted is another person’s deep and meaningful, as the old saying goes. Fantasy is fantasy. No one is invalidated because I don’t want to have a fantasy story wherein the principal lifeforms - winged lizards ranging in size from .5 m to 30 m - societally match humans on Earth 1:1. Almedha’s decision that it's not as fun for dragons to have sexualities like you (or me) says nothing about you or me, a human, on Earth.

I like it when games conform their mechanics to lore as best and often as they can. Obviously, sometimes this is impossible. Sometimes pressing F is just pressing F. That said, I usually try to integrate mechanics as much as possible. In places where this doesn’t make sense, I pick whichever concept I like best and keep that one. I happen to like this one.

I also don’t like lore that isn’t collected in one, simple, easy-to-find place. For my own sanity, all canon lore for an IP is collected within that IP’s medium. Flight Rising is especially egregious in part because some “lore” written by staff has in the past been explicitly not-canon. Therefore, to me, the encyclopedia and database are king, followed by official art and mechanical implements - and nothing else need be considered canon. “Staff confirmation” of something in a random thread six years ago doesn’t count if it wasn’t added to the encyclopedia somehow, and including it falls into the realm of “headcanon.” I think this approach makes it easier for everyone from the oldest player who doesn’t remember everything to the ones who joined just yesterday and only knows what’s immediately available. Staff confirmation is interesting and indicates the best way to build your lore (if you want to be somewhat canon-compliant) because such concepts might turn up in future canon entries, but otherwise can be ignored. If it’s important, they’ll canonize it in official entries. Otherwise, sorry, but it’s not canon to me.

Yes, I maintain my sanity by some pretty intense selective memory.

EDIT: Speaking of, it seems that dragonkind may simply have just the sexualities that we have, if vistas (Released January 2023) apply to dragons. Either way, we do have staff confirmation that this is true, but that's still, to me, not canon. I think vista descriptions and the nature of vistas overall explicitly exclude them from being canon "information" to Sornieth ("Forum Vistas are cosmetic backgrounds that add flair to your forum posts," is talking to the user, which does not exist). So, uh, all that to say? Nothing. Just rambling to say that it doesn't apply, I guess. END EDIT.

Alright, I just feel like the above philosophy is kind of important to understand heading into this subject. So let’s start with the -

Breeding Mechanics
And whether it’s canon

tl;dr, Yes, I prefer to think the breeding mechanic is canon! Read on, if you want.

I’m not convinced that mixed-species pairings and nests were canon until the release of the Aftershocks story in 2018. This story features a Spiral/Bogsneak pair. This pairing is obviously not as egregious as it could have been - we are all familiar with the idea of a Fae/Imperial pair. However, Spirals are distinctly small, while Bogsneaks are definitely medium-sized. My largest Spiral is still only about 75% the length of my very shortest Bogsneak, and that Bogsneak still needs 2.5 of her to match the length of my biggest one. Very scientific, I know. But you can easily see from others’ more scientific methods that a Bogsneak is very rarely a similar size to a Spiral.

My point is, a Bogsneak can mate with a Spiral. A Fae can mate with an Imperial. Most people seem to tackle this problem quite simply - and I think there’s plenty of canon support to assume this interpretation is the correct one: breeding is not physical. The “nose boop” theory. There is also the “external fertilization” theory, which I am disinclined to use because of the difference in size between an Imperial hatchling and its hypothetical Fae mother that I think is unreasonable to account for in the growth of an egg alone. It could, though. It's a fantasy land. Lots of people subscribe to this, though; I just don’t.

Dragons are primarily magical beings with physical components similar to their forebears. The deities are amalgamations of magic with physical forms. Dragon eggs match the element of the territory in which it is laid - and has nothing to do with neither the breed nor element of the parents. The only thing that is required for breeding is that they match at “type” (Modern or Ancient - with additional caveats for the latter) and diverge at sex.

Which brings me to “male” and “female.” As far as we can tell, most species are not sexually dimorphic. Even in size, the differences are not statistically significant for most breeds - in fact, I believe there are six breeds that have explicit differences between the sexes out of twenty. All other breeds, the differences between “male” and “female” have nothing to do with physical construction - which we may believe is largely represented by breed art because we are told when breed art is not representative. For example, the Tundras are shown in their summer coats, and Bogsneaks are not held to the number of crests shown in their art. This means, even “male” and “female” are largely (if not entirely, for most species) magical differences, not physical ones.

But, importantly, the only thing “male” and “female” matter for is for producing hatchlings. Which, I think, we don’t care about for this discussion to come. Now, keep in mind, this is just purely for… well, “simplicity” is the wrong word. Because even the non-dimorphic species still have and know the differences between male and female (see: Scribbles, member of a non-dimorphic species). I just prefer to think it doesn’t make any difference… Though if you’re talking about two thousand potential sexualities, does increasing to four thousand sexualities really make a difference…? Probably not, honestly. You could, obviously, go as big as you want. I have to have two thousand for my sanity, but four thousand seems counterproductive to that goal. Is that silly?

Probably.

That’s even assuming the only difference is between male and female regardless of element.

I have gotten ahead of myself, so what am I talking about? Good question. I’m talking about -

Dragon Sexuality
But it’s not actually “sexuality”

So, in this context, I think that there is no such thing as “sexuality,” technically, because that’s necessarily physical. (We wouldn’t have differentiated terms for romantic attraction if it were not.) So, to put this in simpler terms, Heterosexual/Homosexual/Bisexual/Asexual (henceforth abbreviated to HHBA, I guess) might exist only in romantic attractions in Sornieth: there need be no such thing as HHBA (unless you want there to be, and more on that later). Most dragons do not have physical differences between sexes and none of them physically breed - therefore, there is no such thing. But I’ll just continue calling whatever-this-is “sexual attraction” because it’s the only thing that translates.

But, with this paradigm, we know what dragons use to breed. Magic.

There are eleven elements that are an intrinsic part of what a dragon is - perhaps more so than their physical being. It determines where they were born, what magic they can do, and, in some cases, even what culture they were raised in and deity they revere most. We know magic has different physical effects and manifestations from the battle stones and descriptions. For example, compare the item descriptions between Mist Slash and Thunder Slash.

Dragons don’t have what we have to call “sexual attraction” based on their physical beings: they have attraction based on their elemental beings. I'd call it "elemental attraction."

Of course, this means that dragons have potentially over two thousand “sexuality” combinations available. (I’m bad at math, but that’s how that works, right?) Dragons who are attracted to Wind, Light, or Nature dragons are different from dragons who are attracted to Wind or Light dragons only, or dragons who are attracted to Wind, Light, or Water dragons. See what I mean? You could have dragons attracted to all elements, dragons attracted to none, and dragons attracted to any combination of those eleven elements.

But, if we wanted to, we could get really crazy and include HHBA sexualities (I suppose there could be a dragon that is not attracted to either sex for the element to which it is attracted?) for each element, if we assume there is, in fact, a magical difference between male and female. So for example, I might have a dragon that’s attracted to male Wind dragons and female Light dragons, but nothing else. Personally? I just prefer the elemental paradigm. It’s much… simpler. Simple being such a relative term...

And more fun than just having to simplify it by saying, “Well, I guess all my dragons are maybe pan, kind of? It’s the closest equivalent I can come up with, even if it really makes no sense…”

The lore possibilities with this paradigm are, frankly, endless. At least for me within my lifetime. And, in my own little opinion, way more interesting. There are two thousand labels to make, here. Or, you know, thirteen used in combination with each other. To keep it simple, you know. So -

That's All, Folks
Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk. I hope it was coherent. Or, at least, I hope it was fun. I promise you, I slept really well last night.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I've always been the type of guy who just pretended to ignore the breed size issue with breeding, but this ... this is a very good and well written post. Rethinking my entire perception of FR breeding as we speak
I've always been the type of guy who just pretended to ignore the breed size issue with breeding, but this ... this is a very good and well written post. Rethinking my entire perception of FR breeding as we speak
"link • ufology
they/he/she
slams hands on table well thought out write up but it just made me think about a dragon born in an element they don't want to be forever stuck with the wrong element.
slams hands on table well thought out write up but it just made me think about a dragon born in an element they don't want to be forever stuck with the wrong element.
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
@Almedha As someone who is currently getting my Masters in Sociology and planning on a PhD, I've had to learn human gender theory. I understandably spend more time with humans than over here with the dragons, despite preferring here much of the time (I absolutely dive over here for some semblance of sanity to combat the dog pile that is Graduate School). I'm not claiming to be an authoritative voice, just well versed in the topic. The point of all of the above is to say this was well thought out and I can follow your logic trail. You got me to post the above, meaning you earned applause from me (I just wanted to help you understand what that applause sounds like). [LIST=1] [*]Magic makes more sense for breeding. [*]Element based attraction would result in a very large number of "genders". ([i]Gender is a linguistic term and horrible to use outside of gendered languages, but I don't have an alternative idea of what to use for dragons. Using "personality" fails badly in this case.[/i]) [/LIST] From the canon lore I do know, plus following game mechanics and logic, I have an additional thought to pose to you. I can make a case for reproduction being separate from attraction. Where reproduction is split so that dragons are either able to receive the magical reproductive "energy" (for absolute lack of a better word) and the other gives. Either a dragon is a giver or taker of genetic information. This could be entirely separate from attraction, but does not negate it. Actually, with that point made, "attraction" would be better off as a "personality" trait, just like many bios have for a dragons proclivities towards, say fighting in the coli. In short, they are a lot more complicated than human beings. Way more complicated. If this is a bit jumbled, I blame the long interview I'm currently in the process of transcribing for a project due in a little over 3 hours. Either way, I enjoyed reading this and applaud your logic (and for giving me a fun break). I'll continue to think on it. Edit: There are no "like" buttons or thumbs up features here (which I like), but I can give you a star! [emoji=rainbow star 1 size=1]
@Almedha

As someone who is currently getting my Masters in Sociology and planning on a PhD, I've had to learn human gender theory. I understandably spend more time with humans than over here with the dragons, despite preferring here much of the time (I absolutely dive over here for some semblance of sanity to combat the dog pile that is Graduate School). I'm not claiming to be an authoritative voice, just well versed in the topic.

The point of all of the above is to say this was well thought out and I can follow your logic trail. You got me to post the above, meaning you earned applause from me (I just wanted to help you understand what that applause sounds like).
  1. Magic makes more sense for breeding.
  2. Element based attraction would result in a very large number of "genders". (Gender is a linguistic term and horrible to use outside of gendered languages, but I don't have an alternative idea of what to use for dragons. Using "personality" fails badly in this case.)

From the canon lore I do know, plus following game mechanics and logic, I have an additional thought to pose to you. I can make a case for reproduction being separate from attraction. Where reproduction is split so that dragons are either able to receive the magical reproductive "energy" (for absolute lack of a better word) and the other gives. Either a dragon is a giver or taker of genetic information. This could be entirely separate from attraction, but does not negate it.

Actually, with that point made, "attraction" would be better off as a "personality" trait, just like many bios have for a dragons proclivities towards, say fighting in the coli. In short, they are a lot more complicated than human beings. Way more complicated.

If this is a bit jumbled, I blame the long interview I'm currently in the process of transcribing for a project due in a little over 3 hours. Either way, I enjoyed reading this and applaud your logic (and for giving me a fun break). I'll continue to think on it.

Edit: There are no "like" buttons or thumbs up features here (which I like), but I can give you a star!
Q4CQhI4.gifEg8y9lk.pngdW4n7YM.pngE2fMCjK.pngR7DQS1B.pngoSY8URL.pngjUd05Yk.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-12-04 15:42:02" ] Or, I ramble about removing Sornieth from Earth context, and applying what I want to take into account from game mechanics to lore, and how I ended up with just over two thousand potential dragon sexualities. Assuming I understand how math works, which is a bit of an ask. [/quote] ... that's one heck of an opening hook.
Almedha wrote on 2022-12-04 15:42:02:

... that's one heck of an opening hook.
NBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gif
We Want Blep! Take Our money! We Want Blep! Take Our Money!

Please note - wonky eyes & busted hands; thanks for help & patience!
[quote name="@ufology" date="2022-12-04 16:25:24" ] I've always been the type of guy who just pretended to ignore the breed size issue with breeding, but this ... this is a very good and well written post. Rethinking my entire perception of FR breeding as we speak [/quote] Thanks much! I'm glad it turned out somewhat comprehensible. Me, too. Kind of. I always wanted to approach it in someway similar to this, but I think at some point I was trying to do it the "human way" and just always being dissatisfied. Now I guess I just have to... go through everyone again. Which, you know, it's enjoyable to flip through one's dragons every now and again. I'm not complaining. [quote name="@EternalLife" date="2022-12-04 17:14:39" ] [i]slams hands on table[/i] well thought out write up but it just made me think about a dragon born in an element they don't want to be forever stuck with the wrong element. [/quote] Thanks! On the subject of what I'll call "transelement" dragons - I've seen these before, and even have one! Dragons that appear to be one element, but "practice" as another element. (I have one - a Plague dragon that does Wind magic - though not exclusively. This obviously complicates matters - because a dragon that is attracted to Wind dragons may still be attracted to my Plague dragon... because he can also do Wind magic.) I think it falls into a similar category to our own "body dysmorphia." Canonically (I think - I can't remember where I read this), dragons can practice elemental magic that isn't their own, but it is very difficult. Which is to say... it's probably not as big a deal as even a breed change. I was thinking of tackling this particular subject - as well as gender - in this post, but I decided it was getting too long. Not to mention, the further I got from the topic, the more obviously unrelated the two ideas were. It's kind of weird to imagine gender from the perspective of a species that doesn't have any sexual dimophism. Another essay for maybe another day...
@ufology wrote on 2022-12-04 16:25:24:
Thanks much! I'm glad it turned out somewhat comprehensible.

Me, too. Kind of. I always wanted to approach it in someway similar to this, but I think at some point I was trying to do it the "human way" and just always being dissatisfied. Now I guess I just have to... go through everyone again. Which, you know, it's enjoyable to flip through one's dragons every now and again. I'm not complaining.

@EternalLife wrote on 2022-12-04 17:14:39:
Thanks!

On the subject of what I'll call "transelement" dragons - I've seen these before, and even have one! Dragons that appear to be one element, but "practice" as another element. (I have one - a Plague dragon that does Wind magic - though not exclusively. This obviously complicates matters - because a dragon that is attracted to Wind dragons may still be attracted to my Plague dragon... because he can also do Wind magic.) I think it falls into a similar category to our own "body dysmorphia." Canonically (I think - I can't remember where I read this), dragons can practice elemental magic that isn't their own, but it is very difficult. Which is to say... it's probably not as big a deal as even a breed change.

I was thinking of tackling this particular subject - as well as gender - in this post, but I decided it was getting too long. Not to mention, the further I got from the topic, the more obviously unrelated the two ideas were. It's kind of weird to imagine gender from the perspective of a species that doesn't have any sexual dimophism. Another essay for maybe another day...
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@Mindrop
Neither am I an authority - my educational background is psychology, and I far prefer dragon psychology to human psychology. I'm glad to hear that I was at least followable. I spent perhaps a little too much time making sure I was saying what I wanted to say because... well, everything feels so much muddier because all of us have a gender and sexuality...

So thank you very much!

I am very much in agreement with you about element-based "gender," which is even further muddied by the fact that elements are also very close to "nationality." Therefore, however, I also don't know what term to use like we use "gender." One reason I've put a pin in a future essay on dragon gender is because of the problem you pointed out about "personality" not being adequate, as well as how conflated with "nationality" and even "religion" it would be in dragon society (and, yes, neither "nationality" nor "religion" are correct terms here, either).

Players go along with this, though, which is kind of fun. Dragons are more often dressed according to element than they are even sex or especially species. Which, you know, has nothing to do with anything. It's just kind of fun.

I think I mostly agree about the difference between reproduction and attraction. I think it can be, but it doesn't have to be. I don't think there's really any canon support for how reproduction works, except that it does cost both parents (depending on breed, via cooldown). So I tend to think that creating the eggs is definitely a mutual effort in terms of "mixing" the "genetic" information. I guess it's up to one's personal discretion how, uh... involved this magical pairing is?

But, yes, I agree 100% that dragons are way more complicated than we are and I love that. I would love to hear any additional thoughts you have for sure - assuming the dog pile ever lessens. It doesn't seem to be over until it's over, though...

Also, good luck on the transcription! I had a job transcribing master and doctorate students' interviews in the area of psychology, sociology, and counseling - but, uh, that was a very long time ago. Hands down the most interesting job I ever had, though.
@Mindrop
Neither am I an authority - my educational background is psychology, and I far prefer dragon psychology to human psychology. I'm glad to hear that I was at least followable. I spent perhaps a little too much time making sure I was saying what I wanted to say because... well, everything feels so much muddier because all of us have a gender and sexuality...

So thank you very much!

I am very much in agreement with you about element-based "gender," which is even further muddied by the fact that elements are also very close to "nationality." Therefore, however, I also don't know what term to use like we use "gender." One reason I've put a pin in a future essay on dragon gender is because of the problem you pointed out about "personality" not being adequate, as well as how conflated with "nationality" and even "religion" it would be in dragon society (and, yes, neither "nationality" nor "religion" are correct terms here, either).

Players go along with this, though, which is kind of fun. Dragons are more often dressed according to element than they are even sex or especially species. Which, you know, has nothing to do with anything. It's just kind of fun.

I think I mostly agree about the difference between reproduction and attraction. I think it can be, but it doesn't have to be. I don't think there's really any canon support for how reproduction works, except that it does cost both parents (depending on breed, via cooldown). So I tend to think that creating the eggs is definitely a mutual effort in terms of "mixing" the "genetic" information. I guess it's up to one's personal discretion how, uh... involved this magical pairing is?

But, yes, I agree 100% that dragons are way more complicated than we are and I love that. I would love to hear any additional thoughts you have for sure - assuming the dog pile ever lessens. It doesn't seem to be over until it's over, though...

Also, good luck on the transcription! I had a job transcribing master and doctorate students' interviews in the area of psychology, sociology, and counseling - but, uh, that was a very long time ago. Hands down the most interesting job I ever had, though.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I think this is interesting, on the theoretical side. And, I get not wanting to make them like humans, sexuality wise. I agree with this more than you know (for many many reasons, and I get perturbed to no end). On the surface, it makes sense. However, I see chaos theory at play in our lives on many levels. Things don't have to make sense the same way for one being, as it does for another being. That's part of the differences that define us, who we are attracted to, and in what ways.

Therefore, on a surface level, their sexuality could be based on attractions to the different elements. But, such things are rarely so simple. In fact, they are usually unnecessarily complex.

The saying, if it looks like a horse, it's probably a horse. Unless it's a zebra, or unicorn, etc. In other words, sometimes, things are not as simple as we prefer them to be. Nor, do they follow rules we prefer they follow.

So, even while there might be an aspect of the elements, there are males and females. Just because we can't see the dimorphic elements at play, does not mean they do not exist, and simply play out on a more subtle level than we are accustomed to.

Perhaps, it's the length of a lash at the edge of an eye, and nothing more, but for the dragons, that is as extreme a difference for them, as size of the creatures is for you and I.

A subtle sound difference, not in the pitch, but in another element. Sound is a physical force, and there could be more layers to it for dragons than for us humans.

And, like us, these creatures have societal roles, varying skills and intellects, interests, and creativity. Attractions to those elements might very well exist, that go against the "natural order" of things, in that it might not lead to a viable egg result, but still result in a coupling for life.

Not everything, in reality, results in offspring. Yes, the way we are designed is to drive us to couple, mate and reproduce. However, our relationships are often more complex. And, sexuality has formed that obviously would not result in such things.

I think that is just as likely for the dragons, to have play out. With it being based on magic, the traditional male and female might normally not need to play out. However, it does play out. Females are female from birth, males are male from birth. If it's an attraction of magic, then definitely males could be attracted to males, females to females, etc. Other complex relationship types might even play out between species that cannot reproduce, still being sexually attracted to each other all the same.

In so many ways, we all prefer a much simpler answer to complex realities, than likely exist. And, will do everything in our power to try and make things fit into the beliefs we create, rather than to open up our own minds to the possibilities that are reality.

I love your theory. I just think it has to be expanded on a great deal, to accommodate the "reality" of the dragons, potentially.
I think this is interesting, on the theoretical side. And, I get not wanting to make them like humans, sexuality wise. I agree with this more than you know (for many many reasons, and I get perturbed to no end). On the surface, it makes sense. However, I see chaos theory at play in our lives on many levels. Things don't have to make sense the same way for one being, as it does for another being. That's part of the differences that define us, who we are attracted to, and in what ways.

Therefore, on a surface level, their sexuality could be based on attractions to the different elements. But, such things are rarely so simple. In fact, they are usually unnecessarily complex.

The saying, if it looks like a horse, it's probably a horse. Unless it's a zebra, or unicorn, etc. In other words, sometimes, things are not as simple as we prefer them to be. Nor, do they follow rules we prefer they follow.

So, even while there might be an aspect of the elements, there are males and females. Just because we can't see the dimorphic elements at play, does not mean they do not exist, and simply play out on a more subtle level than we are accustomed to.

Perhaps, it's the length of a lash at the edge of an eye, and nothing more, but for the dragons, that is as extreme a difference for them, as size of the creatures is for you and I.

A subtle sound difference, not in the pitch, but in another element. Sound is a physical force, and there could be more layers to it for dragons than for us humans.

And, like us, these creatures have societal roles, varying skills and intellects, interests, and creativity. Attractions to those elements might very well exist, that go against the "natural order" of things, in that it might not lead to a viable egg result, but still result in a coupling for life.

Not everything, in reality, results in offspring. Yes, the way we are designed is to drive us to couple, mate and reproduce. However, our relationships are often more complex. And, sexuality has formed that obviously would not result in such things.

I think that is just as likely for the dragons, to have play out. With it being based on magic, the traditional male and female might normally not need to play out. However, it does play out. Females are female from birth, males are male from birth. If it's an attraction of magic, then definitely males could be attracted to males, females to females, etc. Other complex relationship types might even play out between species that cannot reproduce, still being sexually attracted to each other all the same.

In so many ways, we all prefer a much simpler answer to complex realities, than likely exist. And, will do everything in our power to try and make things fit into the beliefs we create, rather than to open up our own minds to the possibilities that are reality.

I love your theory. I just think it has to be expanded on a great deal, to accommodate the "reality" of the dragons, potentially.
BannerEggMoreEggsbb500.png
I want to mention something here - my background is Anthropology, Tech, Plant Sciences, Biology. I think it's very interesting who all is posting a response here. ;)
I want to mention something here - my background is Anthropology, Tech, Plant Sciences, Biology. I think it's very interesting who all is posting a response here. ;)
BannerEggMoreEggsbb500.png
i lov this so much

i never personally had a problem with using our sexuality terms for dragons, but i think this is just so much more interesting. i love bringing elements into lore in a deeper way than just eye color or birth place
i lov this so much

i never personally had a problem with using our sexuality terms for dragons, but i think this is just so much more interesting. i love bringing elements into lore in a deeper way than just eye color or birth place
fguisa.png
................e0gVkz3.png ................. 5hF3FGk.png
................. xj6Mn2e.png
................. CISPrku.png
................. etYYz4O.png
1 2 3 4 5