Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Wednesday's Extended Maintenance
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your patience and understanding yesterday. This maintenance did not go as planned, and we apologize for the inconvenience and any frustration it may have caused you. Due to how long this maintenance lasted and as many of you noticed last night, your dragons were fed before we opened the site back up to players. [b][size=4]So what happened?[/size][/b] In our efforts to improve the performance of [i]Flight Rising[/i] during heavy load, such as during breed releases or anniversaries, we contacted our hosting provider about upgrading our internet link speed. In order to do this, our front-end server was going to be moved to a rack that supported the higher speeds. This was scheduled to take approximately 1 hour. Unfortunately, a number of things went wrong during the move: [list] [*]Our hosting provider did not inform us that the move would cause our primary IP address to change, or that there would be no way to change it back besides returning the server to where it started. As a result, we had to update our DNS settings. [*]At some point in the move or the subsequent debugging, some of the boot settings on the server became corrupted, and we had to restore them to their correct values so the server would boot. [*]And the most serious issue: during the move, the server's secondary network port, which is integrated into the motherboard and is used to communicate with other back-end servers, was physically damaged. As a result, we could not open up the site because we could not communicate from this server to [i]any[/i] of our other servers. [/list] The last point took the longest for our hosting company to diagnose. At present we are now instead using a third network port which is part of an add-on card. We will be closely monitoring performance to see if there are any degradations relative to the previous setup. [b][size=4]What does this mean?[/size][/b] Some players may experience difficulty accessing the site, or parts of it, while the DNS changes propagate. These issues should resolve relatively soon as the changes were made almost a full day ago. Thank you again, for your patience and your understanding during yesterday's surprise extended maintenance. It was an interesting day for everyone across the board. Sincerely, The [I]Flight Rising[/I] team
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your patience and understanding yesterday. This maintenance did not go as planned, and we apologize for the inconvenience and any frustration it may have caused you. Due to how long this maintenance lasted and as many of you noticed last night, your dragons were fed before we opened the site back up to players.

So what happened?

In our efforts to improve the performance of Flight Rising during heavy load, such as during breed releases or anniversaries, we contacted our hosting provider about upgrading our internet link speed. In order to do this, our front-end server was going to be moved to a rack that supported the higher speeds. This was scheduled to take approximately 1 hour.

Unfortunately, a number of things went wrong during the move:
  • Our hosting provider did not inform us that the move would cause our primary IP address to change, or that there would be no way to change it back besides returning the server to where it started. As a result, we had to update our DNS settings.
  • At some point in the move or the subsequent debugging, some of the boot settings on the server became corrupted, and we had to restore them to their correct values so the server would boot.
  • And the most serious issue: during the move, the server's secondary network port, which is integrated into the motherboard and is used to communicate with other back-end servers, was physically damaged. As a result, we could not open up the site because we could not communicate from this server to any of our other servers.

The last point took the longest for our hosting company to diagnose. At present we are now instead using a third network port which is part of an add-on card. We will be closely monitoring performance to see if there are any degradations relative to the previous setup.

What does this mean?

Some players may experience difficulty accessing the site, or parts of it, while the DNS changes propagate. These issues should resolve relatively soon as the changes were made almost a full day ago.

Thank you again, for your patience and your understanding during yesterday's surprise extended maintenance. It was an interesting day for everyone across the board.

Sincerely,
The Flight Rising team
Flight Rising Engineering Team

Flight Rising Knowledge Base
Flight Rising Rules & Policies