Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What’s the point of the inbreeding pre-
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Inbreeding is one of the WORST things in any pet game. I've played several breeding games/minigames and allowing inbreeding always lowers the quality of the game/minigame as a whole, IMO. I play one about horses and EVERY high level horse is severely inbred and it bothers me so much. At the very least, it's just so ugly.

And, to be quite honest, I go out of my way to avoid inbreeding even in games that allow it. I play another site that has minipet breeding, and since they're just items they don't have lineages... but I still go out of my way to only keep 1 offspring from each pair, then discard the parents to keep the invisible lineages from getting tangled. Maybe it's just me, but I just can't stand getting the super rare knowing it was obtained through a cheap means. I mean... even in Minecraft I avoid inbreeding my horses (the other farm animals... yeah I can't be bothered with them though) just because I like the idea of getting the best stats with a clean lineage.

I'm so, so, so glad that FR disallows inbreeding by design. I can buy any dragon off the AH knowing they're 100% clean without even checking the lineage (unlike the horse site where I have to spend hours searching for either foundation horses or horses with truncated lineages). When I do breeding projects I always use parallel pairs, where when I get a good dragon from a pair, I exalt the parents. I do have a few dragons that are too close to breed, but I put them with pairs that'll hopefully produce children or grandchildren that can breed because they will no longer be related.

I understand how annoying it can be to try and breed two dragons, then find out they are related, but I'll take that a hundred times over having to waste hours scouring lineages to check for inbreeding.
Inbreeding is one of the WORST things in any pet game. I've played several breeding games/minigames and allowing inbreeding always lowers the quality of the game/minigame as a whole, IMO. I play one about horses and EVERY high level horse is severely inbred and it bothers me so much. At the very least, it's just so ugly.

And, to be quite honest, I go out of my way to avoid inbreeding even in games that allow it. I play another site that has minipet breeding, and since they're just items they don't have lineages... but I still go out of my way to only keep 1 offspring from each pair, then discard the parents to keep the invisible lineages from getting tangled. Maybe it's just me, but I just can't stand getting the super rare knowing it was obtained through a cheap means. I mean... even in Minecraft I avoid inbreeding my horses (the other farm animals... yeah I can't be bothered with them though) just because I like the idea of getting the best stats with a clean lineage.

I'm so, so, so glad that FR disallows inbreeding by design. I can buy any dragon off the AH knowing they're 100% clean without even checking the lineage (unlike the horse site where I have to spend hours searching for either foundation horses or horses with truncated lineages). When I do breeding projects I always use parallel pairs, where when I get a good dragon from a pair, I exalt the parents. I do have a few dragons that are too close to breed, but I put them with pairs that'll hopefully produce children or grandchildren that can breed because they will no longer be related.

I understand how annoying it can be to try and breed two dragons, then find out they are related, but I'll take that a hundred times over having to waste hours scouring lineages to check for inbreeding.
I don't have a clue, do you? // Aberrant Cauldron Project
It would be really easy if there was not this mechanic in place. Breeding project? Just pick two dragons and keep swapping out with children that are closer to your goal!

And because games that are too easy get you bored quickly, a nicely balanced difficulty level is preferred to keep people satisfied with the game
It would be really easy if there was not this mechanic in place. Breeding project? Just pick two dragons and keep swapping out with children that are closer to your goal!

And because games that are too easy get you bored quickly, a nicely balanced difficulty level is preferred to keep people satisfied with the game
KP5dTY9.pngz75WTQA.pngmc5NkFI.png679.png8096.png34787.png
Realised it's probably to prevent line-breeding, which makes obtaining lots of dragons with combos you want really easy. OR inbreeding breaks the lineage system somehow, since inbred dragons produced via bug are infertile via bug and not design.

IRL line breeding is used in animals (like domestic snakes for example) to carry on traits that might not be tied to specific genes / used to discover if certain traits are inheritable since they're more likely to express. It's largely used in species that only have minimal genetic disadvantage from small amounts of inbreeding, reptiles apparently being a group like this.
Realised it's probably to prevent line-breeding, which makes obtaining lots of dragons with combos you want really easy. OR inbreeding breaks the lineage system somehow, since inbred dragons produced via bug are infertile via bug and not design.

IRL line breeding is used in animals (like domestic snakes for example) to carry on traits that might not be tied to specific genes / used to discover if certain traits are inheritable since they're more likely to express. It's largely used in species that only have minimal genetic disadvantage from small amounts of inbreeding, reptiles apparently being a group like this.
I was spoiled by Lioden so I often feel annoyed by that mechanic here. But the difference in the complexity between Lioden and here is truly ridiculous to the point that the two systems are incomparable. It took me a while to realize all that though.

Anyway, I assume it’s due to Lioden that I have zero issue with breeding related digital pictures together, even with lore that tells me they are as smart as me, or smarter. On Lioden, there’s even a rather uncomfortable bit of event storyline tackling this topic. But it’s a very different culture there.

I’ll stop now, but I just… wanted to say this.
I was spoiled by Lioden so I often feel annoyed by that mechanic here. But the difference in the complexity between Lioden and here is truly ridiculous to the point that the two systems are incomparable. It took me a while to realize all that though.

Anyway, I assume it’s due to Lioden that I have zero issue with breeding related digital pictures together, even with lore that tells me they are as smart as me, or smarter. On Lioden, there’s even a rather uncomfortable bit of event storyline tackling this topic. But it’s a very different culture there.

I’ll stop now, but I just… wanted to say this.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
..ew
..ew
sh5xjiu.png
0XHtpWy.png
kI850Ts.png
HJLIYn4.png
mlHpBMC.png
32095602p.png
Would you really want to breed parents and children?
Would you really want to breed parents and children?
193.png
194.png
5198.png
Biologically speaking, because it's really bad to reproduce within a very narrow gene pool! That can result in some really bad disorders or illnesses, as well as physical deformation. I think inbreeding was just added as a mechanic to: a) make it a slightly bigger challenge b) to resemble real life genetics a bit more (although loosely)

However, fun fact, many individuals throughout prehistory as well as history have reproduced within their family, of course, that doesn't mean it's ethical but, as Trey the Explainer has said: "we're all a product of incest somewhere along the line" lmao
Biologically speaking, because it's really bad to reproduce within a very narrow gene pool! That can result in some really bad disorders or illnesses, as well as physical deformation. I think inbreeding was just added as a mechanic to: a) make it a slightly bigger challenge b) to resemble real life genetics a bit more (although loosely)

However, fun fact, many individuals throughout prehistory as well as history have reproduced within their family, of course, that doesn't mean it's ethical but, as Trey the Explainer has said: "we're all a product of incest somewhere along the line" lmao
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Bowno" date="2021-08-16 21:59:37" ] [quote name="PearlConnor" date="2021-08-16 21:54:23" ] Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks [/quote] I don't think people are attacking. If they were, there would be things directed at the OP being said. Everything so far is a generic statement and answer to the question, lorewise and mechanicwise. There is no attacking happening :l [/quote] not necessarily attacking but a lot of the replies are super condescending and come off kind of distasteful. they were just looking for a discussion.
Bowno wrote on 2021-08-16 21:59:37:
PearlConnor wrote on 2021-08-16 21:54:23:
Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks
I don't think people are attacking. If they were, there would be things directed at the OP being said.
Everything so far is a generic statement and answer to the question, lorewise and mechanicwise.
There is no attacking happening :l
not necessarily attacking but a lot of the replies are super condescending and come off kind of distasteful. they were just looking for a discussion.
skin shop
he/they
+4:00 fr time
[quote name="Pyracantha" date="2021-08-17 02:20:46" ] It would be really easy if there was not this mechanic in place. Breeding project? Just pick two dragons and keep swapping out with children that are closer to your goal! And because games that are too easy get you bored quickly, a nicely balanced difficulty level is preferred to keep people satisfied with the game [/quote] This! And some people in this thread were kinda a bit rude against OP, they were just asking a question. Competely agreeing with the quotes underneath: [quote name="MossyKnight" date="2021-08-16 17:36:03" ] [quote name="Munchcatto" date="2021-08-16 17:33:42" ] concerning how people immediately assumed the worst of OP instead of simply answering what was ultimately a question directed at a game mechanic, not an ethical/moral debate. :/ [/quote] Literally this Was just a question y'all. Other games that involve breeding for colors / patterns / etc occasionally allow inbreeding to a degree. Some dont, some do. They were just curious. [/quote] [quote name="gutmouth" date="2021-08-17 07:32:39" ] [quote name="Bowno" date="2021-08-16 21:59:37" ] [quote name="PearlConnor" date="2021-08-16 21:54:23" ] Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks [/quote] I don't think people are attacking. If they were, there would be things directed at the OP being said. Everything so far is a generic statement and answer to the question, lorewise and mechanicwise. There is no attacking happening :l [/quote] not necessarily attacking but a lot of the replies are super condescending and come off kind of distasteful. they were just looking for a discussion. [/quote]
Pyracantha wrote on 2021-08-17 02:20:46:

This!

And some people in this thread were kinda a bit rude against OP, they were just asking a question. Competely agreeing with the quotes underneath:
MossyKnight wrote on 2021-08-16 17:36:03:
Munchcatto wrote on 2021-08-16 17:33:42:
concerning how people immediately assumed the worst of OP instead of simply answering what was ultimately a question directed at a game mechanic, not an ethical/moral debate. :/

Literally this
Was just a question y'all. Other games that involve breeding for colors / patterns / etc occasionally allow inbreeding to a degree. Some dont, some do. They were just curious.
gutmouth wrote on 2021-08-17 07:32:39:
Bowno wrote on 2021-08-16 21:59:37:
PearlConnor wrote on 2021-08-16 21:54:23:
Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks
I don't think people are attacking. If they were, there would be things directed at the OP being said.
Everything so far is a generic statement and answer to the question, lorewise and mechanicwise.
There is no attacking happening :l
not necessarily attacking but a lot of the replies are super condescending and come off kind of distasteful. they were just looking for a discussion.
Probably a way to make the game harder, ie so people couldn't print dragons with rare colour combinations, imperials, etc (at least at the beginning of the site). Breeding projects would also be a lot easier if this wasn't a thing.

I guess also for lore reasons, haha,
Probably a way to make the game harder, ie so people couldn't print dragons with rare colour combinations, imperials, etc (at least at the beginning of the site). Breeding projects would also be a lot easier if this wasn't a thing.

I guess also for lore reasons, haha,
jCVhFoZ.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9