Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What’s the point of the inbreeding pre-
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Because incest is nasty and also dragons are sapient. Gross.
Because incest is nasty and also dragons are sapient. Gross.
66.png
[quote name="Charias" date="2021-08-16 15:51:50" ] This makes me deeply uncomfortable. [/quote]
Charias wrote on 2021-08-16 15:51:50:
This makes me deeply uncomfortable.
sBdLZtA.png
Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
[quote name="PearlConnor" date="2021-08-16 21:54:23" ] Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks [/quote] I don't think people are attacking. If they were, there would be things directed at the OP being said. Everything so far is a generic statement and answer to the question, lorewise and mechanicwise. There is no attacking happening :l
PearlConnor wrote on 2021-08-16 21:54:23:
I don't think people are attacking. If they were, there would be things directed at the OP being said.
Everything so far is a generic statement and answer to the question, lorewise and mechanicwise.
There is no attacking happening :l
TOW2n3q.png
It should have nothing to do with lore, it's about a game mechanic and not people's views on relationships. Op wanted to know the purpose of the MECHANIC
It should have nothing to do with lore, it's about a game mechanic and not people's views on relationships. Op wanted to know the purpose of the MECHANIC
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
[quote name="PearlConnor" date="2021-08-16 22:01:02" ] It should have nothing to do with lore, it's about a game mechanic and not people's views on relationships. Op wanted to know the purpose of the MECHANIC [/quote] Op didn't specify that at all, and i don't think they need you jumping to their defense. everything is calm right now
PearlConnor wrote on 2021-08-16 22:01:02:
Op didn't specify that at all, and i don't think they need you jumping to their defense. everything is calm right now
66.png
I think the question could've been worded or clarified better and, having the context of why they were asking, I do think it is definitely okay to ask. That said...

Difficulty, really. From a gameplay standpoint, having to find a more distant relative (it's either 5 or 7 generations apart at minimum) is harder than being able to take a dragon from, for instance, the same clutch and breeding them together. This makes the challenge of finding a breeding pair more apparent (popular combos aside) and, in turn, you either have to go searching for an unrelated mate or look further down the line (if there is one further) to find one that is compatible.

If you're having a hard time finding a compatible mate, I suggest using dragon search to try to find dragons with the colours and genes you need. Asking a user via PM if they are willing to breed with another to get a breeding pair is typically alright as long as you are polite and respectful. Be sure that, if you do this, you skim the profile "About Me" to ensure that person is okay with random PMs or breeding requests. Some people don't have it on their profile and will ignore you, but it's safe to take that as a "no".

Hope that helped!
I think the question could've been worded or clarified better and, having the context of why they were asking, I do think it is definitely okay to ask. That said...

Difficulty, really. From a gameplay standpoint, having to find a more distant relative (it's either 5 or 7 generations apart at minimum) is harder than being able to take a dragon from, for instance, the same clutch and breeding them together. This makes the challenge of finding a breeding pair more apparent (popular combos aside) and, in turn, you either have to go searching for an unrelated mate or look further down the line (if there is one further) to find one that is compatible.

If you're having a hard time finding a compatible mate, I suggest using dragon search to try to find dragons with the colours and genes you need. Asking a user via PM if they are willing to breed with another to get a breeding pair is typically alright as long as you are polite and respectful. Be sure that, if you do this, you skim the profile "About Me" to ensure that person is okay with random PMs or breeding requests. Some people don't have it on their profile and will ignore you, but it's safe to take that as a "no".

Hope that helped!
I figured it was pretty obvious tbh.
I'm not the only one defending either. And I'm just trying to clarify.
I worry about people is all..
I figured it was pretty obvious tbh.
I'm not the only one defending either. And I'm just trying to clarify.
I worry about people is all..
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
[quote name="dragonflare92" date="2021-08-16 21:41:34" ] [quote name="Munchcatto" date="2021-08-16 17:33:42" ] concerning how people immediately assumed the worst of OP instead of simply answering what was ultimately a question directed at a game mechanic, not an ethical/moral debate. :/ [/quote] Instead of jumping to conclusions, clarify first. If it is something that makes you personally uncomfortable, then don't interact with the post. Not everybody get that deeply attached to games and the lore and characters in them; some people play them as simply a game and nothing more, and that's fine. I hope OP doesn't feel terrible because of the reaction to this; I know I'm mortified personally about accidentally wording something in a way that gets misconstrued, it's why I don't interact with others most of the time. [emoji=guardian sad size=1] [/quote] This. The title probably could've been worded differently, sure (and I won't say the OP owed us an explanation as to why they were asking such a thing in the first place because I feel that'd be something of an invasion of privacy, and they don't owe us anything), but there's only so much you can cram into a title with the character limitations. And yes, while this is a game, as numerous other players have said, the idea of inbreeding between dragons who are presented in the lore as sentient beings with free will might be a major squick to some players. Again, I don't think that's unreasonable - or even odd, to a degree - when incest is such a huge taboo in most societies in [i]our[/i] world. The world of Sornieth may be fictional, but the characteristics of its residents are not, and I would imagine their society would mirror ours to a certain degree.
dragonflare92 wrote on 2021-08-16 21:41:34:
Munchcatto wrote on 2021-08-16 17:33:42:
concerning how people immediately assumed the worst of OP instead of simply answering what was ultimately a question directed at a game mechanic, not an ethical/moral debate. :/

Instead of jumping to conclusions, clarify first. If it is something that makes you personally uncomfortable, then don't interact with the post.
Not everybody get that deeply attached to games and the lore and characters in them; some people play them as simply a game and nothing more, and that's fine.
I hope OP doesn't feel terrible because of the reaction to this; I know I'm mortified personally about accidentally wording something in a way that gets misconstrued, it's why I don't interact with others most of the time.
This. The title probably could've been worded differently, sure (and I won't say the OP owed us an explanation as to why they were asking such a thing in the first place because I feel that'd be something of an invasion of privacy, and they don't owe us anything), but there's only so much you can cram into a title with the character limitations.

And yes, while this is a game, as numerous other players have said, the idea of inbreeding between dragons who are presented in the lore as sentient beings with free will might be a major squick to some players. Again, I don't think that's unreasonable - or even odd, to a degree - when incest is such a huge taboo in most societies in our world. The world of Sornieth may be fictional, but the characteristics of its residents are not, and I would imagine their society would mirror ours to a certain degree.
tumblr_pb04puzMLY1wvvm88o3_100.png
she/they | fr+3
sales | avatar
[quote name="PearlConnor" date="2021-08-16 21:54:23" ] Can everyone stop attacking op? Thanks [/quote] ^^^ People are too fond of attributing everything to malice instead of ignorance (such as genuinely just odd wording) and acting accordingly.. There's nothing wrong with having a different perception of the game but it's everyone's personal responsibility to remind themselves that this applies to everyone equally; just because one sees this from a lore standpoint doesn't mean everyone does, and vice versa. It's just gross that people immediately point fingers and somehow think that okay or even funny and quirky. If someone genuinely thinks this was intended as an ethical/moral debate, there's a whole report function for things not appropriate for the site...
PearlConnor wrote on 2021-08-16 21:54:23:
^^^
People are too fond of attributing everything to malice instead of ignorance (such as genuinely just odd wording) and acting accordingly..

There's nothing wrong with having a different perception of the game but it's everyone's personal responsibility to remind themselves that this applies to everyone equally; just because one sees this from a lore standpoint doesn't mean everyone does, and vice versa.
It's just gross that people immediately point fingers and somehow think that okay or even funny and quirky.
If someone genuinely thinks this was intended as an ethical/moral debate, there's a whole report function for things not appropriate for the site...
STW9f2s.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9