Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What’s the point of the inbreeding pre-
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yeah like the person above said: there's certainly a bit of overreacting going on here from some, but I think the phrasing of the original question is partially to blame. Just saying: "why prevent inbreeding?" is a pretty eyebrow-raising question when you forget the context of a dragon breeding game. No offence to OP intended, and tbh I'm not sure how they could have better phrased their (entirely reasonable) question.

I'm grateful that it is a feature of the site though. It makes breeding projects more challenging, and encourages buying/selling/trading of dragons between players, since your gene pool would get shallow pretty quickly using just your own dragons. Plus if it wasn't, I know I would have a lot more hassle personally, since I'm the type who usually does everything possible to avoid inbreeding in pet games.
Yeah like the person above said: there's certainly a bit of overreacting going on here from some, but I think the phrasing of the original question is partially to blame. Just saying: "why prevent inbreeding?" is a pretty eyebrow-raising question when you forget the context of a dragon breeding game. No offence to OP intended, and tbh I'm not sure how they could have better phrased their (entirely reasonable) question.

I'm grateful that it is a feature of the site though. It makes breeding projects more challenging, and encourages buying/selling/trading of dragons between players, since your gene pool would get shallow pretty quickly using just your own dragons. Plus if it wasn't, I know I would have a lot more hassle personally, since I'm the type who usually does everything possible to avoid inbreeding in pet games.
3sBLd.gif?5g6Xz=party.png
Probably to keep lineages easy to follow and to not make people feel awkward about it. They could be like fruit files or mongooses and not mind too much about it because it is more advantageous (or some other reason we don’t quite fully understand). If you have no other option to pass on your genes it may not be a bad idea because at least your species will still have a chance (albeit usually less) at surviving. Dragons would likely choose to avoid this (as it is not necessary to their survival) so that there are not too many deformities, weaknesses and deaths in their offsprings. These undesirable outcomes could be ignored or included in the game. One would make the game too easy to acquire your dream dragon, or add another layer of difficulty to maintain the game (art for deformities, implementation of deaths, weaknesses etc.) should some people seek out the mutations. Might I suggest watching this neat educational video about animal inbreeding? https://youtu.be/8MTq5S6-VpQ Also, here is my distantly imbred imp who exists thanks to a past glitch: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71627618][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/716277/71627618_350.png[/img][/url]
Probably to keep lineages easy to follow and to not make people feel awkward about it. They could be like fruit files or mongooses and not mind too much about it because it is more advantageous (or some other reason we don’t quite fully understand). If you have no other option to pass on your genes it may not be a bad idea because at least your species will still have a chance (albeit usually less) at surviving. Dragons would likely choose to avoid this (as it is not necessary to their survival) so that there are not too many deformities, weaknesses and deaths in their offsprings. These undesirable outcomes could be ignored or included in the game. One would make the game too easy to acquire your dream dragon, or add another layer of difficulty to maintain the game (art for deformities, implementation of deaths, weaknesses etc.) should some people seek out the mutations.

Might I suggest watching this neat educational video about animal inbreeding?
https://youtu.be/8MTq5S6-VpQ

Also, here is my distantly imbred imp who exists thanks to a past glitch:

71627618_350.png

Mostly, I think it is to create a 'difficulty' in the game.

Most games that are breeding related/oriented have various mechanics to make it more difficult to obtain breeding partners:

Sylestia - Uses Male/Female, pets can only breed with their own species, cannot breed with siblings/parents, and uses more of a Punnet Square Genetics.

Felis Fire - Uses Male/Female/Omni, Omni can breed with both and each other, pets can interbreed, but you don't actually 'breed' cats, rather they form likes and dislikes and if their score is at 100, they might breed together.

Aywas - was so convoluted to me I never bred, but each pet was basically a 'custom' and it took literally months or more to get breedings back.

Gryffs - no genders, any gryff can literally breed with any other gryff on site (though they have to be in your GHF), but there are so many markings, and hex codes and gradients, that it takes either lucky breeding or careful planning to create 'good looking offspring'. it also uses a 'layering' system for markings where if you breed two gryffs with different markings you can get wildly differing results if you put one gryff first than if you had put the other gryff first. I subscribe to the 'lucky breeding' school of thought.

So, it all differs from site to site, but many sites use inbreeding restrictions to make it so that breeding isn't 'easy' by allowing people to get siblings and breed them together.
Mostly, I think it is to create a 'difficulty' in the game.

Most games that are breeding related/oriented have various mechanics to make it more difficult to obtain breeding partners:

Sylestia - Uses Male/Female, pets can only breed with their own species, cannot breed with siblings/parents, and uses more of a Punnet Square Genetics.

Felis Fire - Uses Male/Female/Omni, Omni can breed with both and each other, pets can interbreed, but you don't actually 'breed' cats, rather they form likes and dislikes and if their score is at 100, they might breed together.

Aywas - was so convoluted to me I never bred, but each pet was basically a 'custom' and it took literally months or more to get breedings back.

Gryffs - no genders, any gryff can literally breed with any other gryff on site (though they have to be in your GHF), but there are so many markings, and hex codes and gradients, that it takes either lucky breeding or careful planning to create 'good looking offspring'. it also uses a 'layering' system for markings where if you breed two gryffs with different markings you can get wildly differing results if you put one gryff first than if you had put the other gryff first. I subscribe to the 'lucky breeding' school of thought.

So, it all differs from site to site, but many sites use inbreeding restrictions to make it so that breeding isn't 'easy' by allowing people to get siblings and breed them together.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/772505843374751764/877029719621656586/349318406442319873.png[/img] Real talk op I get it's probably not a bad faith question but asking 'why are we not allowed to inbreed fully sapient social characters/dragons' is going to make people uncomfortable
349318406442319873.png

Real talk op I get it's probably not a bad faith question but asking 'why are we not allowed to inbreed fully sapient social characters/dragons' is going to make people uncomfortable
BVY1Ftg.png
[quote name="FallenAngel" date="2021-08-16 16:39:06" ] I am not sure why people in this thread are being "irked" by the question. From a GAME aspect I can understand why it would be asked, especially when people come from Pokemon where this does not matter. A lot of non-sim monster games that do have breeding dont even think or care about "inbreeding." I dont sit there playing Pokemon giggling to myself that I am breeding offspring with parent to get the best stats/nature/ability, I just do whatever to get what I need by playing the game. That being said, I have to agree that it is mainly (probably) to increase the difficulty of breeding project so that projects are not done too easily/quickly. If you could just keep breeding within the line, it would be way too easy to just keep breeding it down until you got what you want. Please do not let what I said about pokemon make you think I am ok with actual inbreeding (as I am NOT ok with it), but people need to understand that general breeding in a lot of non-sim games, it is not thought about. I do this on Runescape too and I am not laughing at it or even thinking about it, I am just trying to get the proper traits to breed shiny farm animals. [/quote] I think people are "irked" by this question because they can make the connection between why inbreeding in a game whose characters seem to have similar personalities and ideals to us, the players, and inbreeding behind the screen is... immoral, and yes, it can cause people to become deeply uncomfortable. I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, players may not play the same games - the only games I play are FR, Chickensmoothie, and Eldemore, and you can't breed your pets in two of them, so I don't know what the breeding mechanics are for other pet games and what's allowed and what's not.
FallenAngel wrote on 2021-08-16 16:39:06:
I am not sure why people in this thread are being "irked" by the question. From a GAME aspect I can understand why it would be asked, especially when people come from Pokemon where this does not matter. A lot of non-sim monster games that do have breeding dont even think or care about "inbreeding." I dont sit there playing Pokemon giggling to myself that I am breeding offspring with parent to get the best stats/nature/ability, I just do whatever to get what I need by playing the game.

That being said, I have to agree that it is mainly (probably) to increase the difficulty of breeding project so that projects are not done too easily/quickly. If you could just keep breeding within the line, it would be way too easy to just keep breeding it down until you got what you want.

Please do not let what I said about pokemon make you think I am ok with actual inbreeding (as I am NOT ok with it), but people need to understand that general breeding in a lot of non-sim games, it is not thought about. I do this on Runescape too and I am not laughing at it or even thinking about it, I am just trying to get the proper traits to breed shiny farm animals.
I think people are "irked" by this question because they can make the connection between why inbreeding in a game whose characters seem to have similar personalities and ideals to us, the players, and inbreeding behind the screen is... immoral, and yes, it can cause people to become deeply uncomfortable. I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, players may not play the same games - the only games I play are FR, Chickensmoothie, and Eldemore, and you can't breed your pets in two of them, so I don't know what the breeding mechanics are for other pet games and what's allowed and what's not.
tumblr_pb04puzMLY1wvvm88o3_100.png
she/they | fr+3
sales | avatar
Probably to up the difficulty
Probably to up the difficulty
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
The thing is, not everyone knows every nuance of canon and I have seen many people who at least seem to feel that dragons are more 'pet' like than sapient.

Many people just play the game to collect pretty dragons and don't even pay any attention to canon, so they often won't think of dragons as 'sapient beings', or they are used to the many depictions of dragons as non-sapient, sometimes even so far as non-intelligent.

Or, they just see them as pixels. Nothing more.

(all of which are valid)
The thing is, not everyone knows every nuance of canon and I have seen many people who at least seem to feel that dragons are more 'pet' like than sapient.

Many people just play the game to collect pretty dragons and don't even pay any attention to canon, so they often won't think of dragons as 'sapient beings', or they are used to the many depictions of dragons as non-sapient, sometimes even so far as non-intelligent.

Or, they just see them as pixels. Nothing more.

(all of which are valid)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Ah. People overreacting again. I should start keeping track, but nah.

But yeah, breeding would be way too easy, even for the rather rare color combos.
Ah. People overreacting again. I should start keeping track, but nah.

But yeah, breeding would be way too easy, even for the rather rare color combos.
tumblr_o4yu8gUBhN1uvtnbto1_400.png
Tbh, OP asked a really valid question and I will leave my two cents:
FR's inbreeding limitation is a little too big.
3 generations is a pretty good limit. sharing one (1) great-grandparent would be a pretty good restriction limit, anything after that can breed and it's not considered inbreeding even in real life at this point.
but instead we got 5 whole generations to increase the difficuly :,)

edit: legit, would you even know if you shared a great-great-grandparent with your partner? Most families can't even know that because they don't keep track of the tree, statistically there's at least a few couples out there who share a familiar in the 4th degree ascendency. But nope, FR said it's gotta be the 6th generation so well, off to get another breeding pair I guess.
Tbh, OP asked a really valid question and I will leave my two cents:
FR's inbreeding limitation is a little too big.
3 generations is a pretty good limit. sharing one (1) great-grandparent would be a pretty good restriction limit, anything after that can breed and it's not considered inbreeding even in real life at this point.
but instead we got 5 whole generations to increase the difficuly :,)

edit: legit, would you even know if you shared a great-great-grandparent with your partner? Most families can't even know that because they don't keep track of the tree, statistically there's at least a few couples out there who share a familiar in the 4th degree ascendency. But nope, FR said it's gotta be the 6th generation so well, off to get another breeding pair I guess.
JxXWPTT.png
Coli guide
_ BjzISWz.png
FR Goals
_ 9gI0bgp.png
Art shop
_ Undying-Featherback.png
Lair map
_ Rat-King.png
Pixels
_ 4bPVjcz.png
Site
_ Venomous-Toridae.png
BBCode guide
_ WAYSTONECROPPED.gif
[quote name="Munchcatto" date="2021-08-16 17:33:42" ] concerning how people immediately assumed the worst of OP instead of simply answering what was ultimately a question directed at a game mechanic, not an ethical/moral debate. :/ [/quote] Instead of jumping to conclusions, clarify first. If it is something that makes you personally uncomfortable, then don't interact with the post. Not everybody get that deeply attached to games and the lore and characters in them; some people play them as simply a game and nothing more, and that's fine. I hope OP doesn't feel terrible because of the reaction to this; I know I'm mortified personally about accidentally wording something in a way that gets misconstrued, it's why I don't interact with others most of the time. [emoji=guardian sad size=1]
Munchcatto wrote on 2021-08-16 17:33:42:
concerning how people immediately assumed the worst of OP instead of simply answering what was ultimately a question directed at a game mechanic, not an ethical/moral debate. :/

Instead of jumping to conclusions, clarify first. If it is something that makes you personally uncomfortable, then don't interact with the post.
Not everybody get that deeply attached to games and the lore and characters in them; some people play them as simply a game and nothing more, and that's fine.
I hope OP doesn't feel terrible because of the reaction to this; I know I'm mortified personally about accidentally wording something in a way that gets misconstrued, it's why I don't interact with others most of the time.
aKHNXwM.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9