Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breeding project advice you'd give?
1 2 3
What sort of advice would you give to someone relatively new to FR who wants to start working on breeding projects? Especially ones that look for rather specific color schemes with matching genes.

What sort of advice would you give to someone relatively new to FR who wants to start working on breeding projects? Especially ones that look for rather specific color schemes with matching genes.

rI2B9a8.png
I make a scry, then try to find dragons with that exact color combo, then I gene it up :^)
I make a scry, then try to find dragons with that exact color combo, then I gene it up :^)
Bookmark a gene and breed rarity guide first. Knowing the rarities is crucial so you're not potentially wasting time pairing dragons that have a low chance of producing the gene or breed you need.

Then get pairs with the closest color ranges you can find, and have lots of lair space. Lots of lair space for lots of project pairs, because if you're luck is anything like mine, you'll never get what you need on the 1st, 2nd or even 10th hatch. Having lots of pairs gives you lots of options and you can potentially breed their offspring together, and may have better luck if their ranges are closer together.
Bookmark a gene and breed rarity guide first. Knowing the rarities is crucial so you're not potentially wasting time pairing dragons that have a low chance of producing the gene or breed you need.

Then get pairs with the closest color ranges you can find, and have lots of lair space. Lots of lair space for lots of project pairs, because if you're luck is anything like mine, you'll never get what you need on the 1st, 2nd or even 10th hatch. Having lots of pairs gives you lots of options and you can potentially breed their offspring together, and may have better luck if their ranges are closer together.
The 'Search' feature is your friend! Look for dragons within a few colors of your targets and don't be afraid to message people about buying a dragon just chilling in their 'Fodder' tab. I've gotten many good dragons that way.
The 'Search' feature is your friend! Look for dragons within a few colors of your targets and don't be afraid to message people about buying a dragon just chilling in their 'Fodder' tab. I've gotten many good dragons that way.
9650eb7d6ebe493e3d6bdd47099c7c9df0a42bc8.png
Some resources:
- This gene rarity guide, might be a tad bit outdated
- This breeding card maker thingy
- This color predictor

It might be a good idea to make a spreadsheet aswell to track your pairs and see what their ranges look like before you start. If you need any specific genes not on the parents, gene the one with the lower rarity genes and let the parent with the higher rarity gene stay the same, saves you money and time. And of course, make sure your pairs are as unrelated as possible, not just the one but all of them. You will run into a snag later if they are all to closely related which may force you to throw a whole new pair or several into the mix.

Aside from that, have fun! And I wish you the best of luck on your prpject!
Some resources:
- This gene rarity guide, might be a tad bit outdated
- This breeding card maker thingy
- This color predictor

It might be a good idea to make a spreadsheet aswell to track your pairs and see what their ranges look like before you start. If you need any specific genes not on the parents, gene the one with the lower rarity genes and let the parent with the higher rarity gene stay the same, saves you money and time. And of course, make sure your pairs are as unrelated as possible, not just the one but all of them. You will run into a snag later if they are all to closely related which may force you to throw a whole new pair or several into the mix.

Aside from that, have fun! And I wish you the best of luck on your prpject!
daom3l7-a0e9d769-2c15-438e-b477-777b75bab85b.gif
Ganondorf's guide, but also, if there are more dragons than you "need" available at the beginning, and you can afford to buy and hold onto an extra starting pair (or a few), they can help counteract any bad luck if other pairs frequently wegg you or refuse to pass on the correct gem gene or something.

Additionally, if you'd really prefer to breed treasure genes onto your final dragon (as opposed to buying them when a dragon with the right colors hatches), "pre-breeding" a dragon with decent starting colors and the right genes before putting together the rest of your starting dragons can be worth it.
Ganondorf's guide, but also, if there are more dragons than you "need" available at the beginning, and you can afford to buy and hold onto an extra starting pair (or a few), they can help counteract any bad luck if other pairs frequently wegg you or refuse to pass on the correct gem gene or something.

Additionally, if you'd really prefer to breed treasure genes onto your final dragon (as opposed to buying them when a dragon with the right colors hatches), "pre-breeding" a dragon with decent starting colors and the right genes before putting together the rest of your starting dragons can be worth it.
He/She/They | FR +3
Thank you everyone for your help so far!

Many of the aesthetics I am going for seem rather pricy or hard to find, so it seems I need to broaden my search and be a bit less picky about the parent dragons' colors and genes, as well as breeds.
Thank you everyone for your help so far!

Many of the aesthetics I am going for seem rather pricy or hard to find, so it seems I need to broaden my search and be a bit less picky about the parent dragons' colors and genes, as well as breeds.
rI2B9a8.png
Depending on the scope of your project, I'd recommend the use of a spreadsheet! I personally use a modified version of Tiarana's Project Pair Planner Spreadsheet. It doesn't account for gene/breed rarities, but it'll help you figure out which possible pairs have the best chance of producing the target colors.

If your project calls for a different flight's eye color, take the time to get your final pair as close as possible to the target colors (and genes, if applicable). It takes me a while to hype myself up enough to request a nest rental, so getting it right in as few tries as possible is a big help.
Depending on the scope of your project, I'd recommend the use of a spreadsheet! I personally use a modified version of Tiarana's Project Pair Planner Spreadsheet. It doesn't account for gene/breed rarities, but it'll help you figure out which possible pairs have the best chance of producing the target colors.

If your project calls for a different flight's eye color, take the time to get your final pair as close as possible to the target colors (and genes, if applicable). It takes me a while to hype myself up enough to request a nest rental, so getting it right in as few tries as possible is a big help.
FSjGDWP.png
Current Avatar • Feel free to ping me!
Another tip is to use cheaper genes and breed changes to help improve rarities.

For example, one of my current breeding projects is an Imperial. There aren't a lot of Imps, Nocturnes, Coatls or Wildclaws with the genes and color range I'm going for, but I have several Nocturne Scrolls from NotN. I bought some lower rarity breeds with perfect colors and genes, then turned them into Nocturnes.

You could do the same with Smirch if it's a higher or equal rarity to the genes you do need. Smirch is super cheap, so you could apply that to a dragon with great colors, but lower rarity genes.
Another tip is to use cheaper genes and breed changes to help improve rarities.

For example, one of my current breeding projects is an Imperial. There aren't a lot of Imps, Nocturnes, Coatls or Wildclaws with the genes and color range I'm going for, but I have several Nocturne Scrolls from NotN. I bought some lower rarity breeds with perfect colors and genes, then turned them into Nocturnes.

You could do the same with Smirch if it's a higher or equal rarity to the genes you do need. Smirch is super cheap, so you could apply that to a dragon with great colors, but lower rarity genes.
@Lagara

Oh that is a super neat trick!

Unfortunately I do have interest for some coatl and potential noct projects and I imagine those will be rather expensive to acquire a breed change for - let alone imps!
@Lagara

Oh that is a super neat trick!

Unfortunately I do have interest for some coatl and potential noct projects and I imagine those will be rather expensive to acquire a breed change for - let alone imps!
rI2B9a8.png
1 2 3