Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | FR April Fools Have Gotten Lazy
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I dont really think that the quality has gone down, I think that the HD prank was just way above and beyond due to the work involved. The waystone pro had a bit more to it, given there was the dialouge to write, etc. but all the pranks have been fairly simple to implement.
Familiar Rising just swapped the familiar and dragon images. I dont think that took all that much more "time" than rotating the dragons, at least from our POV as its an image swap.
(What were the other ones again?)

Also they've been giving us so many updates I wouldnt have even blamed them if they skipped it this year.
I dont really think that the quality has gone down, I think that the HD prank was just way above and beyond due to the work involved. The waystone pro had a bit more to it, given there was the dialouge to write, etc. but all the pranks have been fairly simple to implement.
Familiar Rising just swapped the familiar and dragon images. I dont think that took all that much more "time" than rotating the dragons, at least from our POV as its an image swap.
(What were the other ones again?)

Also they've been giving us so many updates I wouldnt have even blamed them if they skipped it this year.
button_97x95.png[ Please do not PM me. 1623960663678.png
DSfOOlg.png
68388386.png 1623960663678.png 68483984.png
@ Stormfly

There was comic sans, the eyes, and the adpocalypse iirc?

And yeah I def wasn't a big fan of the familiar one either, but at least they give a cute announcement post with some "Lore" to it, haha :)
@ Stormfly

There was comic sans, the eyes, and the adpocalypse iirc?

And yeah I def wasn't a big fan of the familiar one either, but at least they give a cute announcement post with some "Lore" to it, haha :)
Fletcher|He/Him|
Redwalk.gif
This April Fool does feel underwhelming this year (and little headaches for me but that's a different topic), but it is something at the end of the day. It's just something small and fun.
This April Fool does feel underwhelming this year (and little headaches for me but that's a different topic), but it is something at the end of the day. It's just something small and fun.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
[quote name="Reilata" date="2021-04-01 16:53:44" ] Following after the map revamp finally finishing up and the marketplace being redone, I think they deserve an easier April First. It's not the first simplistic type. We've had some eyes just pasted onto dragons before as well. [/quote] ^^ agree with that Sure this year was underwhelming but at the same time it's nice to not be drowned and overwhelmed with a huge prank after we got a MP and map revamp
Reilata wrote on 2021-04-01 16:53:44:
Following after the map revamp finally finishing up and the marketplace being redone, I think they deserve an easier April First. It's not the first simplistic type. We've had some eyes just pasted onto dragons before as well.

^^ agree with that
Sure this year was underwhelming but at the same time it's nice to not be drowned and overwhelmed with a huge prank after we got a MP and map revamp
p3jdzi4.png
[quote name="Lundlaeva" date="2021-04-01 17:04:52" ] I strongly disagree that the quality and passion has gone down. There have been TWO major updates recently, that have been both necessary (for the MP) and something people have wanted for ages (map, which also required a lot of lore writing). That’s a lot of work, no wonder they haven’t planned something HUGE for today. Also, I’m not a web developer but I strongly suspect that telling a whole website to rotate certain images in 3 different ways .... that’s not an easy, simple thing to code in. Especially not without breaking other things. Someone had to work are on the development of that, no matter how much you might think it looks like nothing. At the end of the day, April Fool’s is just a fun little bonus. I prefer the smaller little things. As hilarious as the site-wide art change and Comic Sans were ... they interrupted the game a lot. So does this, for many people. It’s hard for th3 staff to strike a balance I think between ‘fun prank’ and ‘no fun game breaker’. I also think maybe the devs don’t want to take away from Wind’s festival with this falling right in the middle? [/quote] this basically, the devs deserve something more chilled out with all the work they've been doing lately :D
Lundlaeva wrote on 2021-04-01 17:04:52:
I strongly disagree that the quality and passion has gone down. There have been TWO major updates recently, that have been both necessary (for the MP) and something people have wanted for ages (map, which also required a lot of lore writing). That’s a lot of work, no wonder they haven’t planned something HUGE for today.

Also, I’m not a web developer but I strongly suspect that telling a whole website to rotate certain images in 3 different ways .... that’s not an easy, simple thing to code in. Especially not without breaking other things. Someone had to work are on the development of that, no matter how much you might think it looks like nothing.

At the end of the day, April Fool’s is just a fun little bonus. I prefer the smaller little things. As hilarious as the site-wide art change and Comic Sans were ... they interrupted the game a lot. So does this, for many people. It’s hard for th3 staff to strike a balance I think between ‘fun prank’ and ‘no fun game breaker’.

I also think maybe the devs don’t want to take away from Wind’s festival with this falling right in the middle?

this basically, the devs deserve something more chilled out with all the work they've been doing lately :D
Nah, the rotated dragons are right on with FR's sense of humor. The more subtle the visual changes the easier it is for people to be like "wait, something is off here... what is going on?" especially for newbies. Low quality is all part of the prank.

After all the updates they've been churning out lately I find it odd that people are finding anything to complain about really.

Remember, April Fool's is all about pranks and having fun. It's not about having a massive high quality event with shiny new items. The items we do get are just perks and add to the fun.
Nah, the rotated dragons are right on with FR's sense of humor. The more subtle the visual changes the easier it is for people to be like "wait, something is off here... what is going on?" especially for newbies. Low quality is all part of the prank.

After all the updates they've been churning out lately I find it odd that people are finding anything to complain about really.

Remember, April Fool's is all about pranks and having fun. It's not about having a massive high quality event with shiny new items. The items we do get are just perks and add to the fun.
sJmKU07.gifa8FvSEr.png9dYW39C.png
IDK.
Should be happy they bother at all? They dont HAVE to do anything.
Also, consider how people are these days. These days, we have a lot of "HOW DARE THIS THING CHANGED OR DID A THING! EVEN IF ITS FOR ONE DAY ONLY IT OFFENDS ME AND ISNT WHAT I WANTED THIS IS THE WORST I AM GOING TO SEND 1000 TICKETS WITHIN 20 SECONDS. YOU MONSTERS."

Rotating dragons was a very safe prank and I fully understand why they didn't go for anything crazy.
IDK.
Should be happy they bother at all? They dont HAVE to do anything.
Also, consider how people are these days. These days, we have a lot of "HOW DARE THIS THING CHANGED OR DID A THING! EVEN IF ITS FOR ONE DAY ONLY IT OFFENDS ME AND ISNT WHAT I WANTED THIS IS THE WORST I AM GOING TO SEND 1000 TICKETS WITHIN 20 SECONDS. YOU MONSTERS."

Rotating dragons was a very safe prank and I fully understand why they didn't go for anything crazy.
TOW2n3q.png
i think it was pretty cool and funny honestly
i think it was pretty cool and funny honestly
The map revamp and the marketplace revamp came out within the span of a month. I'm fine if it's not huge this year - not every April Fool's Joke can be on the span of HD and the Waystone. Maybe we'll get something better next year?
The map revamp and the marketplace revamp came out within the span of a month. I'm fine if it's not huge this year - not every April Fool's Joke can be on the span of HD and the Waystone. Maybe we'll get something better next year?
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
I agree. It is underwhelming, but in light of all the nice updates we have gotten recently, it's all good.
I agree. It is underwhelming, but in light of all the nice updates we have gotten recently, it's all good.
Withstand_Col.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9