Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The thing with Ancient Dragons
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="EiraoLaska" date="2020-11-26 04:24:33" ] While I don't want to see every new ancient break the modern rule, I hope they start doing that more! Give us a crazy eldritch horror beast type dragon! [/quote] I would be happy with just a dragon, that has two or three heads^^
EiraoLaska wrote on 2020-11-26 04:24:33:
While I don't want to see every new ancient break the modern rule, I hope they start doing that more! Give us a crazy eldritch horror beast type dragon!

I would be happy with just a dragon, that has two or three heads^^
egg.gif
The point of Ancient Breeds is able to produce more dragon breeds in general. The rule breaking and unique tertiary genes are extra in order to have more with them due to lack of able to wear any clothing. A serpent dragon without wings and two headed dragon would be nice. The next ancient is said to break design rules more than previous Ancient Breeds so far. We will see that then. [quote name="Nauyak" date="2020-11-26 01:11:35" ] I can't 100% verify the truth of this, but I've heard Veilspun fit the "modern mold" because the devs would feel bad if a Super Cool Rule-Breaking Dragon With Five Heads And No Wings was locked behind a 1000g paywall.[/quote] I don't understand what does "paywall" mean in this situation. Doesn't make sense to me. The products are not locked. Anyone can purchase them at any time. There are unlimited quantities of them as well. It doesn't matter whether they are in Treasure Matketplace or Gem Marketplace. They are products which cost money, naturally.
The point of Ancient Breeds is able to produce more dragon breeds in general. The rule breaking and unique tertiary genes are extra in order to have more with them due to lack of able to wear any clothing. A serpent dragon without wings and two headed dragon would be nice. The next ancient is said to break design rules more than previous Ancient Breeds so far. We will see that then.

Nauyak wrote on 2020-11-26 01:11:35:
I can't 100% verify the truth of this, but I've heard Veilspun fit the "modern mold" because the devs would feel bad if a Super Cool Rule-Breaking Dragon With Five Heads And No Wings was locked behind a 1000g paywall.
I don't understand what does "paywall" mean in this situation. Doesn't make sense to me. The products are not locked. Anyone can purchase them at any time. There are unlimited quantities of them as well. It doesn't matter whether they are in Treasure Matketplace or Gem Marketplace. They are products which cost money, naturally.
[quote name="HenryTheArcher" date="2020-11-26 04:30:22" ] I don't understand what does "paywall" mean in this situation. Doesn't make sense to me. The products are not locked. Anyone can purchase them at any time. There are unlimited quantities of them as well. It doesn't matter whether they are in Treasure Matketplace or Gem Marketplace. They are products which cost money, naturally. [/quote] A lot of people complain that 1k g is not possible for them to attain, let alone all the other gem genes.
HenryTheArcher wrote on 2020-11-26 04:30:22:
I don't understand what does "paywall" mean in this situation. Doesn't make sense to me. The products are not locked. Anyone can purchase them at any time. There are unlimited quantities of them as well. It doesn't matter whether they are in Treasure Matketplace or Gem Marketplace. They are products which cost money, naturally.

A lot of people complain that 1k g is not possible for them to attain, let alone all the other gem genes.
Flight Rep Time:

Lightning|Water|Plague|Wind

Or browse some Old Oaks for sale?
veilspuns kinda do break the mold a lil bit, considering they have four fairy wings.
veilspuns kinda do break the mold a lil bit, considering they have four fairy wings.
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
i do agree that gaolers and veilspuns are lacking in uniqueness compared to the modern breeds, though so far we've only gotten 3 ancient breeds so i'd hope future moderns will be more crazy with their designs and break the mold like the banescale
i do agree that gaolers and veilspuns are lacking in uniqueness compared to the modern breeds, though so far we've only gotten 3 ancient breeds so i'd hope future moderns will be more crazy with their designs and break the mold like the banescale
ezgif-5-d59d01f068.gif
Debbie / Nova
18 - Non-Binary - Any Pronouns
Art Shop | Wishlist
2kdMs.gifUgAP0.gifyv2d9.gifJ2yrF.gifA6sar.gif
[quote name="MaskofKeter" date="2020-11-26 01:37:43" ] The main goal for Ancients is to release more dragon breeds though, isn't it? They don't necessarily need to break the mold by having a different anatomy, though I would appreciate if they did. Plus, they also have unique outline-breaking genes which no Modern will ever have, so there's that. [/quote] Exactly this. I [i][b]don't want[/b][/i] all of the Ancients to break the mold, even though it's appreciated. I love my Banescales, but I also really like Gaolers (aka Superior Tundras), and I'm adoring Veilspuns. The standard anatomy has its place; it doesn't mean Ancients can't have it as well. Besides, as other people pointed out, there's the line-breaking terts and apparel-unfriendly body proportions. Gaolers have crazier fur than Tundras, plus absolutely tiny wings. Veilspuns have completely non-standard wings and wild, long manes. They would have to be changed in order to be of modern-standard, and I would absolutely hate that.
MaskofKeter wrote on 2020-11-26 01:37:43:
The main goal for Ancients is to release more dragon breeds though, isn't it? They don't necessarily need to break the mold by having a different anatomy, though I would appreciate if they did.

Plus, they also have unique outline-breaking genes which no Modern will ever have, so there's that.

Exactly this. I don't want all of the Ancients to break the mold, even though it's appreciated. I love my Banescales, but I also really like Gaolers (aka Superior Tundras), and I'm adoring Veilspuns. The standard anatomy has its place; it doesn't mean Ancients can't have it as well.

Besides, as other people pointed out, there's the line-breaking terts and apparel-unfriendly body proportions. Gaolers have crazier fur than Tundras, plus absolutely tiny wings. Veilspuns have completely non-standard wings and wild, long manes. They would have to be changed in order to be of modern-standard, and I would absolutely hate that.
1uCNaW7.pngTTTUSP9.pngueG66KW.pngxjP79Zx.pngO0Pbuvo.png
I find it hard to get into Ancient Breeds due to their inability to wear apparel, but I 'm keeping an eye on them hoping one of them would be unique enough to make me look past their limitations. So far, none of them did.

I actually like Gaolers, but I was pretty disappointed when they were announced. The staff made a big deal about the fact the Ancient wouldn't have to follow the usual rules, so the Gaolers felt underwhelming. They look amazing, but they're essentially improved, wilder Tundras. I hoped the first ancient would stand out more.

I don't want them all to look bizarre, of course, but I really hope the next Ancient will make full use of this creative freedom. Especially since we're not getting a modern breed any time soon, it seems.
I find it hard to get into Ancient Breeds due to their inability to wear apparel, but I 'm keeping an eye on them hoping one of them would be unique enough to make me look past their limitations. So far, none of them did.

I actually like Gaolers, but I was pretty disappointed when they were announced. The staff made a big deal about the fact the Ancient wouldn't have to follow the usual rules, so the Gaolers felt underwhelming. They look amazing, but they're essentially improved, wilder Tundras. I hoped the first ancient would stand out more.

I don't want them all to look bizarre, of course, but I really hope the next Ancient will make full use of this creative freedom. Especially since we're not getting a modern breed any time soon, it seems.
11501862_EwWdTdj8nqB6gLK.gif
I'm way more interested in linebreaking genes than I am with non-standard body types, so it doesn't bother me at all :V It also has the air of 'how many things can we stack on one dragon design?' (ie, gaolers with fans...omg), which I like quite a bit lol
I'm way more interested in linebreaking genes than I am with non-standard body types, so it doesn't bother me at all :V It also has the air of 'how many things can we stack on one dragon design?' (ie, gaolers with fans...omg), which I like quite a bit lol
UEKFohX.png
Since others have been discussing the developers' perspective & aims from a gameplay point of view, I'm gonna muse on the topic of speculation & lore...

We still need an ancient breed for Plague, Nature, Earth, Arcane, Water, and Lightning. (Wind and Light are prolly gonna get their ancients Well after every other flight, since they have two moderns.) Considering the flights we've gotten already, their aesthetics, and their deities' motivations, it makes quite a bit of sense that we've gotten the ancient designs we've gotten.

Ice wanted some nice, practical wardens. They don't need to fly-- those tunnels can get pretty cramped. We've got teeny fae tricksters for Shadow-- I suspect Shadowbinder wanted to stay out of open war like the Banescales & Gaolers were getting up to, so she kept her ancient stealthy. (They'd probably also do better tricks that way.) Speaking of that, we can infer that to an extent, Banescales were made for war, or at least crafted with combat in mind. Pre-revival Banescales were said to have forged arms and armor with great skill-- and what else would it be going to? There's less of a lore-based reason as to why they're structured the way they are, but hey, you can't win 'em all.

In terms of body structures and future breeds, though, here's my thoughts:
  • If we don't get some sort of crazy body-horror monstrocity for Plague, I think we're going to have another Riot of Rot (literally and metaphorically!) on our hands.
  • With Arcane's growing alien/eldritch motif, I definitely see them as likely to have a strange-looking, mutated breed.
  • Honestly, I see Stormcatcher as being most likely to make a dragon with multiple heads/sets of limbs. More heads, more productivity!
  • I don't have any clear indication of what the other breeds might look like. Water's will prolly be later, since it's pretty much community consensus by this point that it's getting the next modern.

I just... Like thinkin bout ancients.
Since others have been discussing the developers' perspective & aims from a gameplay point of view, I'm gonna muse on the topic of speculation & lore...

We still need an ancient breed for Plague, Nature, Earth, Arcane, Water, and Lightning. (Wind and Light are prolly gonna get their ancients Well after every other flight, since they have two moderns.) Considering the flights we've gotten already, their aesthetics, and their deities' motivations, it makes quite a bit of sense that we've gotten the ancient designs we've gotten.

Ice wanted some nice, practical wardens. They don't need to fly-- those tunnels can get pretty cramped. We've got teeny fae tricksters for Shadow-- I suspect Shadowbinder wanted to stay out of open war like the Banescales & Gaolers were getting up to, so she kept her ancient stealthy. (They'd probably also do better tricks that way.) Speaking of that, we can infer that to an extent, Banescales were made for war, or at least crafted with combat in mind. Pre-revival Banescales were said to have forged arms and armor with great skill-- and what else would it be going to? There's less of a lore-based reason as to why they're structured the way they are, but hey, you can't win 'em all.

In terms of body structures and future breeds, though, here's my thoughts:
  • If we don't get some sort of crazy body-horror monstrocity for Plague, I think we're going to have another Riot of Rot (literally and metaphorically!) on our hands.
  • With Arcane's growing alien/eldritch motif, I definitely see them as likely to have a strange-looking, mutated breed.
  • Honestly, I see Stormcatcher as being most likely to make a dragon with multiple heads/sets of limbs. More heads, more productivity!
  • I don't have any clear indication of what the other breeds might look like. Water's will prolly be later, since it's pretty much community consensus by this point that it's getting the next modern.

I just... Like thinkin bout ancients.
YUDrFCG.png
I really desperately wish they had gone all out with the insect theme for Veilspuns and given them 6 legs...
I really desperately wish they had gone all out with the insect theme for Veilspuns and given them 6 legs...
1 2 3 4 5