Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breed Regional variants
1 2 3
@Mertisal

I am a one breed lair and came up with variants for each flight it was fun.
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2539643/2#post_35610603
@Mertisal

I am a one breed lair and came up with variants for each flight it was fun.
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2539643/2#post_35610603
A5i3AHB.png
Ooooh I absolulty love all the ideas in this thread! Its making me want to doodle some of these ideas as well!!!
Ooooh I absolulty love all the ideas in this thread! Its making me want to doodle some of these ideas as well!!!
Dropping this thread here.
Dropping this thread here.
ice_rune_50x50.png ICEWARDEN_sig.png
Oh I'm a huge fan of that, I personally call all of the dragons "species" instead of breeds, and these would be either different breeds of them or subspecies. This is super nice and I love the art!
Oh I'm a huge fan of that, I personally call all of the dragons "species" instead of breeds, and these would be either different breeds of them or subspecies. This is super nice and I love the art!
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Loving the idea and the doodles so far. :3
Loving the idea and the doodles so far. :3
A stick of yellow butter with blue butterfly wings. At by MythicalViper!xCmYhaC.pngMA3bre1.png
I image that water flight gaolers might have fur like an otter, short dense undercoat with long smooth guard hairs. maybe even shorter horns to be more streamlined (I might make a sketch later)
I image that water flight gaolers might have fur like an otter, short dense undercoat with long smooth guard hairs. maybe even shorter horns to be more streamlined (I might make a sketch later)
l2r8MfN.pngto2p366.pngR1x4tFf.pngU8Qr4XL.pngVqCxNUU.pngSybryjN.pngtumblr_psu5tqZwqW1wogl4wo7_75sq.png
Mirrors

Plague: “standard” and extra pestilent

Water: mudpuppies/axolotls, just literally big neotenic salamanders

Lightning: bug-like/exoskeleton present, netted/lacewing crests, additional crests reminiscent of stonefly larvae, wingless/tailless “cable crawlers”, extra arms

Earth: additional eyes - all the better to petrify with, since earth dragons can often have a literally petrifying gaze, wingless varieties since mirrors are very lithe runners anyway, extra powerful jaws, may overall look like a hyena or bulldog with powerful forelimbs/short tail/trailing stubby hindclaws.

Nature: perpetually angry/very aggressive, usually has sharp barbed quills like either porcupines or psittacosaurae. May have a bulkier build and flared crest, also like a psittacosaurus, but can fly...

Shadow: looks like a sneaky horrible gremlin, attracted to shiny objects, has very deep set eyes giving the impression of hollow sockets, still has excellent night vision though.

Fire: naturally fire resistant but not heat resistant, as a result, has long flopping crests to release heat, sail on back also to release heat, scaleless body, long prehensile tail perfect for forgework, body is slim and shaped to be agile around bubbling crucibles, natural geysers, etc.

Arcane: eldritch horror + plaguelands body horror???

Light: smaller on average with fanned crests that help shield their sensitive eyes, overall similar in appearance to a crested gecko, but with more eyes.

Wind: feathery wispy crests, same mirror body but somehow a tad more elegant, tail has spines that allow dragons to place bright elaborately designed fabrics or sheets of leather and tiny bone chimes

Ice: completely translucent except their bones. Like ice fish and wood frogs, their body has proteins and carbohydrates that prevent tissue damage due to ice, but it causes their body to be clear like water. They do not need fur to keep warm, but do shiver to reinvigorate the flow of blood/hemolymph into their thin sleek wings.

Mirrors

Plague: “standard” and extra pestilent

Water: mudpuppies/axolotls, just literally big neotenic salamanders

Lightning: bug-like/exoskeleton present, netted/lacewing crests, additional crests reminiscent of stonefly larvae, wingless/tailless “cable crawlers”, extra arms

Earth: additional eyes - all the better to petrify with, since earth dragons can often have a literally petrifying gaze, wingless varieties since mirrors are very lithe runners anyway, extra powerful jaws, may overall look like a hyena or bulldog with powerful forelimbs/short tail/trailing stubby hindclaws.

Nature: perpetually angry/very aggressive, usually has sharp barbed quills like either porcupines or psittacosaurae. May have a bulkier build and flared crest, also like a psittacosaurus, but can fly...

Shadow: looks like a sneaky horrible gremlin, attracted to shiny objects, has very deep set eyes giving the impression of hollow sockets, still has excellent night vision though.

Fire: naturally fire resistant but not heat resistant, as a result, has long flopping crests to release heat, sail on back also to release heat, scaleless body, long prehensile tail perfect for forgework, body is slim and shaped to be agile around bubbling crucibles, natural geysers, etc.

Arcane: eldritch horror + plaguelands body horror???

Light: smaller on average with fanned crests that help shield their sensitive eyes, overall similar in appearance to a crested gecko, but with more eyes.

Wind: feathery wispy crests, same mirror body but somehow a tad more elegant, tail has spines that allow dragons to place bright elaborately designed fabrics or sheets of leather and tiny bone chimes

Ice: completely translucent except their bones. Like ice fish and wood frogs, their body has proteins and carbohydrates that prevent tissue damage due to ice, but it causes their body to be clear like water. They do not need fur to keep warm, but do shiver to reinvigorate the flow of blood/hemolymph into their thin sleek wings.

i think there's a bit more mutation and hybridization of breed traits going on than the art shows. lot more off-model anatomy. breeds are really more just common clusters of major traits that are most often seen together. like all spirals will most likely be long and snakey with leg and arm wings and large eyes, but everything else is up for debate. most individuals will look very close to the baseline with only minor variations like slightly different horn shape/number and wing shape and side and if they have certain types of scales/back spikes and ect but wilder variation is entirely possible and basically only ends right before it stops being recognizable as something based on a spiral at all.
i think there's a bit more mutation and hybridization of breed traits going on than the art shows. lot more off-model anatomy. breeds are really more just common clusters of major traits that are most often seen together. like all spirals will most likely be long and snakey with leg and arm wings and large eyes, but everything else is up for debate. most individuals will look very close to the baseline with only minor variations like slightly different horn shape/number and wing shape and side and if they have certain types of scales/back spikes and ect but wilder variation is entirely possible and basically only ends right before it stops being recognizable as something based on a spiral at all.
ImLwTCX.png My Dragon Search Thread
@Ragnarok42
Right so:
Spiral=noodle with goat horns, lots of wings
Fae=smaller noodle with crests and wider wings
Mirror=pup with bunny “ears” and lots of eyes, or maybe just heat pits for some
Guardian=big finned sea monster thing
Skydancer=Telepathic bird but with two sets of forelimbs
Tundra=lion-baboon-parakeet
Imp=a mistake, a big ferret prone to becoming giant zombie amalgams
Pearlcatcher: a unicorn with a vomit stone
Bogsneak: has no deity nor can any deity save you, should you upset a “pack” of them.
Nocturne: bat chameleon
Ridgeback: what it says on the can
Snapper: elephant-skink-snapping turtle
Coatl: upgrade from river flight? More snake than otter though.

@Ragnarok42
Right so:
Spiral=noodle with goat horns, lots of wings
Fae=smaller noodle with crests and wider wings
Mirror=pup with bunny “ears” and lots of eyes, or maybe just heat pits for some
Guardian=big finned sea monster thing
Skydancer=Telepathic bird but with two sets of forelimbs
Tundra=lion-baboon-parakeet
Imp=a mistake, a big ferret prone to becoming giant zombie amalgams
Pearlcatcher: a unicorn with a vomit stone
Bogsneak: has no deity nor can any deity save you, should you upset a “pack” of them.
Nocturne: bat chameleon
Ridgeback: what it says on the can
Snapper: elephant-skink-snapping turtle
Coatl: upgrade from river flight? More snake than otter though.

@Doomwyte
more or less, thouggh i think mirror more or less always have the same 4 eyes outside of multigaze and serious feathery fallout type magical mutation situations. having more or less than the breed's normal number of eyes and/or eyes in unusual places is probably extremely rare in general. i think the most common thing to change between individuals is exact horn shape, horn number, exact expression of gene patterns on the body, the presence or lack therof of crests an frills of all kinds, exact snout shape, and body types following the same general body plan (in the same way that humans can have different body types). i have some descriptions of various anatomy changes i've envisioned for my dragons scattered around somewhere.
@Doomwyte
more or less, thouggh i think mirror more or less always have the same 4 eyes outside of multigaze and serious feathery fallout type magical mutation situations. having more or less than the breed's normal number of eyes and/or eyes in unusual places is probably extremely rare in general. i think the most common thing to change between individuals is exact horn shape, horn number, exact expression of gene patterns on the body, the presence or lack therof of crests an frills of all kinds, exact snout shape, and body types following the same general body plan (in the same way that humans can have different body types). i have some descriptions of various anatomy changes i've envisioned for my dragons scattered around somewhere.
ImLwTCX.png My Dragon Search Thread
1 2 3