Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Arcane is getting... Darker?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote name="GingaSnap" date="2020-09-27 20:18:25" ] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/0d2ea4919066f52bae4912c2e79244a4/tumblr_pq2rwbR8241tpgqzno1_400.png[/img] [/quote]
GingaSnap wrote on 2020-09-27 20:18:25:
tumblr_pq2rwbR8241tpgqzno1_400.png
06xk8gV.png
XrUXyrn.gifse5O2Tt.gifpxx5HPD.gif
Believe me, darling
The stars were made for falling
[quote name="Shegrasi" date="2020-09-27 19:58:05" ][quote]Are we set for changes for some flights, and stagnation for others? More overlap? Worsened neglect of certain flights? Changes that match what people have, but not what they joined for? Absolutely nothing at all?[/quote] I didn't read everything, but I think I get the gist. You're wondering if staff or artists will expand on other flight's aesthetics the way the they're expanding on Arcane's recently? I think they will. Devs were really caught up with just figuring out how to make the site work correctly for a long time, and artists are constantly busy with updates, new items, and breed backlog. The site rewrite is making good progress, and even though a lot of lore has already been written, there's still so much room for more art and representation. I think a lot of lore that has been ignored in favor of simplicity and ease of identification will start getting fleshed out more when it comes to backgrounds and apparel. I joined Arcane mostly for the lore, not the pink aesthetics, so I really love the new representation of Starwood at night, too. I honestly think we're going to see more of "vicious flesh-eating plants", "deep-trench sea creatures", "plague's aesthetic in general", and other areas of established lore that haven't been touched on yet by the artists. I'm glad you brought this up, because it makes me more hyped to see the map update and the new details it will have. I've been waiting for this expansion-of-aesthetic since the site was created and I started reading the lore and imagining the kind of clan I wanted to have. I honestly don't think of any of this as "changes"; instead I see it as additions onto the established "core" of the flight, giving individual clans more freedom of expression. Hope that all made sense. ^^ [/quote] Yeah, that's basically it! Though I also have concerns that stuff that people aren't really asking for or utilizing as much might get ignored- if staff really is consciously fleshing out stuff, I can see how Plague and Water would benefit (with all our very vocal complaints, and Tidelord), but flights like Nature might just continue to get the same thing they always have. But that also depends on if my worries about staff "catering" are correct (which... I don't really know if they have a "lore bible" or anything, like I said they can kind of just change whatever they like whenever they like). But! There is the possibility that everything will improve, and become more open to varied interpretations- being able to choose lair location would make more sense if locations within lands became more distinct, or if more were added in. So optimally, we'd see a nice blend of more traditional and more unique aesthetics! Which is the best case scenario, imo.
Shegrasi wrote on 2020-09-27 19:58:05:
Quote:
Are we set for changes for some flights, and stagnation for others? More overlap? Worsened neglect of certain flights? Changes that match what people have, but not what they joined for? Absolutely nothing at all?

I didn't read everything, but I think I get the gist.

You're wondering if staff or artists will expand on other flight's aesthetics the way the they're expanding on Arcane's recently?

I think they will. Devs were really caught up with just figuring out how to make the site work correctly for a long time, and artists are constantly busy with updates, new items, and breed backlog.

The site rewrite is making good progress, and even though a lot of lore has already been written, there's still so much room for more art and representation.

I think a lot of lore that has been ignored in favor of simplicity and ease of identification will start getting fleshed out more when it comes to backgrounds and apparel.

I joined Arcane mostly for the lore, not the pink aesthetics, so I really love the new representation of Starwood at night, too. I honestly think we're going to see more of "vicious flesh-eating plants", "deep-trench sea creatures", "plague's aesthetic in general", and other areas of established lore that haven't been touched on yet by the artists.

I'm glad you brought this up, because it makes me more hyped to see the map update and the new details it will have. I've been waiting for this expansion-of-aesthetic since the site was created and I started reading the lore and imagining the kind of clan I wanted to have.

I honestly don't think of any of this as "changes"; instead I see it as additions onto the established "core" of the flight, giving individual clans more freedom of expression.

Hope that all made sense. ^^
Yeah, that's basically it! Though I also have concerns that stuff that people aren't really asking for or utilizing as much might get ignored- if staff really is consciously fleshing out stuff, I can see
how Plague and Water would benefit (with all our very vocal complaints, and Tidelord), but flights like Nature might just continue to get the same thing they always have. But that also depends on if my worries about staff "catering" are correct (which... I don't really know if they have a "lore bible" or anything, like I said they can kind of just change whatever they like whenever they like).

But! There is the possibility that everything will improve, and become more open to varied interpretations- being able to choose lair location would make more sense if locations within lands became more distinct, or if more were added in. So optimally, we'd see a nice blend of more traditional and more unique aesthetics! Which is the best case scenario, imo.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
I'm not going to comment on my own opinion on Arcane's aesthetic here, but I do want to say that I really like how we're starting to get variety in all the flight's aesthetics and art. The world map has shown from the start that each flight's territory has a variety of landscapes with sometimes very different appearances. This is fantastic for a whole bunch of reasons; it creates a more realistic and fleshed out world, and provides extra opportunities to cover different aspects of the flight's themes and concepts.

As the years go on and we get more and more festival familiars, apparel, scenes ect. I'm glad that they're not all going to end up looking the same. It's great that we can have an Arcane rep that's eldritch-esque, or bright and innocent, or a scientist (mad or otherwise), or a cosmic entity full of stars and nebulae... all of these concepts are a part of Arcane and sometimes we just want to explore one or two at a time. I'm very much looking forward to more 'niche' expressions of flight in future festivals!
I'm not going to comment on my own opinion on Arcane's aesthetic here, but I do want to say that I really like how we're starting to get variety in all the flight's aesthetics and art. The world map has shown from the start that each flight's territory has a variety of landscapes with sometimes very different appearances. This is fantastic for a whole bunch of reasons; it creates a more realistic and fleshed out world, and provides extra opportunities to cover different aspects of the flight's themes and concepts.

As the years go on and we get more and more festival familiars, apparel, scenes ect. I'm glad that they're not all going to end up looking the same. It's great that we can have an Arcane rep that's eldritch-esque, or bright and innocent, or a scientist (mad or otherwise), or a cosmic entity full of stars and nebulae... all of these concepts are a part of Arcane and sometimes we just want to explore one or two at a time. I'm very much looking forward to more 'niche' expressions of flight in future festivals!
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2297047/1]I'd like to remind everyone that SpaceDad blew up his boyfriend.[/url] [img]https://i.imgur.com/mNjatEd.jpg[/img] Arcane is the clan of curiosity killing the cat. They joyfully bound from experiment to experiment, but often don't take into account the harm that they are doing. They will put science and experimentation over their own safety, but this often winds up putting the safety of their friends, their family, and sometimes even the whole world at stake. Drakessis is right, it's a tragedy. The pink, playful, goofy aesthetic masks a clan that is by far the most dangerous. Plague understands that they need life in order to spread the sickness, shadow understands that they need light in order to cast darkness, Ice shrounds their land in mystery for the benefit of the rest of Sornieth, but Arcane simply does not understand where the line is. [b]They asked if they could but never asked if they should.[/b] If any clan is going to unleash an eldritch horror, it'll be Arcane, even if it's not their aesthetic.
I'd like to remind everyone that SpaceDad blew up his boyfriend.

mNjatEd.jpg

Arcane is the clan of curiosity killing the cat. They joyfully bound from experiment to experiment, but often don't take into account the harm that they are doing. They will put science and experimentation over their own safety, but this often winds up putting the safety of their friends, their family, and sometimes even the whole world at stake. Drakessis is right, it's a tragedy. The pink, playful, goofy aesthetic masks a clan that is by far the most dangerous. Plague understands that they need life in order to spread the sickness, shadow understands that they need light in order to cast darkness, Ice shrounds their land in mystery for the benefit of the rest of Sornieth, but Arcane simply does not understand where the line is. They asked if they could but never asked if they should.

If any clan is going to unleash an eldritch horror, it'll be Arcane, even if it's not their aesthetic.
KG62W6om.jpg Among Us Adopt
(Im)Perfect Plushies Adopt
Desmond's Drawings (100g)
Dragons with Art
Naomi/666 Veilspuns
I've noticed too! Personally I really like this darker aesthetic arcane has shifted to, it's easier on my eyes and I just generally like darker colors and darker themes. I've always liked the idea of arcane, and now I'm starting to like the aesthetic even more.
I've noticed too! Personally I really like this darker aesthetic arcane has shifted to, it's easier on my eyes and I just generally like darker colors and darker themes. I've always liked the idea of arcane, and now I'm starting to like the aesthetic even more.
Feel free to click and feed my creatures!
2519517.png2534403.png2537496.png2567018.png2634339.png
This seems more an updated look than anything, especially considering the need for an actual aesthetic for Earth. The focus on crystals in Arcane limits what can be done in Earth, especially when considering that bones are off limits due to Plague.

While bone is essential to Plague's aesthetic, Arcane's theme isn't crystals. It's space and magic. Arcane's scene may be dark, but it has more of a witchy feel to it than Shadow's, a magical spell being performed under the power of the moon. Shadow's has more to do with the creatures of the night, glimpses of fairies who want to trick you to your death. It's not darkness for the sake of darkness, but just a different way of showing Arcane's magic.

Plus, I feel like going after horrors and accepting the changes, no matter the cost, makes sense for Arcane. After all, Lightweaver's response to imperials is in vast contrast to Arcane's attitude to cosmic creatures. Arcane has a childish acceptance, Light kills anything outside their understanding, and Shadow just hides their knowledge. But more acknowledgement doesn't take the horror away, it just shows that the Arcanist hasn't yet learned his lesson. And those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

It feels like a natural progression in the site's lore to me. It isn't so much a random 360, but one that should move the story along while hopefully fixing some issues with certain flight's aesthetics.
This seems more an updated look than anything, especially considering the need for an actual aesthetic for Earth. The focus on crystals in Arcane limits what can be done in Earth, especially when considering that bones are off limits due to Plague.

While bone is essential to Plague's aesthetic, Arcane's theme isn't crystals. It's space and magic. Arcane's scene may be dark, but it has more of a witchy feel to it than Shadow's, a magical spell being performed under the power of the moon. Shadow's has more to do with the creatures of the night, glimpses of fairies who want to trick you to your death. It's not darkness for the sake of darkness, but just a different way of showing Arcane's magic.

Plus, I feel like going after horrors and accepting the changes, no matter the cost, makes sense for Arcane. After all, Lightweaver's response to imperials is in vast contrast to Arcane's attitude to cosmic creatures. Arcane has a childish acceptance, Light kills anything outside their understanding, and Shadow just hides their knowledge. But more acknowledgement doesn't take the horror away, it just shows that the Arcanist hasn't yet learned his lesson. And those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

It feels like a natural progression in the site's lore to me. It isn't so much a random 360, but one that should move the story along while hopefully fixing some issues with certain flight's aesthetics.
.....................................image.gif
q9EEy5M.png
hzM3Sr2.png
xj6Mn2e.png
image.gif
I am glad the festival apparel explores the lovecraftian-horror elements of Arcane more, since it is also a big aspect of the Arcane flight.

It might also a bit selfish on my part since earth has every year as festival apparel the same boring brown/blue stuff, hopefully we get more gem and crystal themed apparel soon.
I am glad the festival apparel explores the lovecraftian-horror elements of Arcane more, since it is also a big aspect of the Arcane flight.

It might also a bit selfish on my part since earth has every year as festival apparel the same boring brown/blue stuff, hopefully we get more gem and crystal themed apparel soon.
m5kNycY.pngFMdbyfP.pnge3svukl.pngLSkUnqX.png
[quote name="Takora" date="2020-09-29 04:50:15" ] I am glad the festival apparel explores the lovecraftian-horror elements of Arcane more, since it is also a big aspect of the Arcane flight. It might also a bit selfish on my part since earth has every year as festival apparel the same boring brown/blue stuff, hopefully we get more gem and crystal themed apparel soon. [/quote] ^^ this! I want scary stuff too :) Bone apparel, stuff like that. (I do like the sort of ominous item descriptions already but something outright eldritch or creepy would be cool as well)
Takora wrote on 2020-09-29 04:50:15:

^^ this! I want scary stuff too :) Bone apparel, stuff like that. (I do like the sort of ominous item descriptions already but something outright eldritch or creepy would be cool as well)
cDDSaqc.png
We aren't getting darker.
It's just you guys who finally realized who we are.

((*laughs in cryptic creepy messages*))
We aren't getting darker.
It's just you guys who finally realized who we are.

((*laughs in cryptic creepy messages*))
AND-GOD-SAID.png
[quote name="DousedInPetrol" date="2020-09-27 17:02:29" ] Arcane has always had a GrimDark vein running right through it. The Crystal Pools hum not with life, but with radiation. Gravity is distorted, warping the very bedrock. We are the crater of a epoch-ending disaster, an irradiated nightmare. Our deity called forth the eldritch horrors of the Shade, our portal is a gateway to Lovecraftian monstrosities. To quote Jurassic Park: [quote] [i]Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should [/i] [/quote] I mean, [b]sure[/b]! We're pink, and friendly...but that's the beguiling fascination of it. [/quote] “Science isn’t about why, it’s about why not!” -The Arcanist, probably.
DousedInPetrol wrote on 2020-09-27 17:02:29:
Arcane has always had a GrimDark vein running right through it. The Crystal Pools hum not with life, but with radiation. Gravity is distorted, warping the very bedrock. We are the crater of a epoch-ending disaster, an irradiated nightmare. Our deity called forth the eldritch horrors of the Shade, our portal is a gateway to Lovecraftian monstrosities. To quote Jurassic Park:
Quote:
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should

I mean, sure! We're pink, and friendly...but that's the beguiling fascination of it.

“Science isn’t about why, it’s about why not!” -The Arcanist, probably.
autumn • +3 fr time
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9