Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Arcane is getting... Darker?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Drakessis Personally, I just think you are seeing different sides of Arcane territory and not necesary that is just going "dark" (besides, of course the artistic upgrade) the new scene is also at night so you might want to compare the night time version of the crystal pools... [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/08ea58c65d02a524e2e09c950e0fa90c/tumblr_nvb0j6UhXL1soh3oqo2_500.png[/img] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/0ce50052f96bc1aa4cdcead2c853b644/83e2ea8a880b308b-ac/s1280x1920/b13a0f772770f7c619f29ed8ab011c125113094a.png[/img] ¿See? Now the difference is not as much. I also would argue that the crystal pools is mostly used for beastclans, while the scene from this festival is more frequently visited by dragons. That would explain the magic runes Vs Glowing Crystals. PD: We might also want to wait for the map upgrade. Since the version we have now is very oudated...artistically speaking ^^U
@Drakessis
Personally, I just think you are seeing different sides of Arcane territory and not necesary that is just going "dark" (besides, of course the artistic upgrade) the new scene is also at night so you might want to compare the night time version of the crystal pools...

tumblr_nvb0j6UhXL1soh3oqo2_500.png
b13a0f772770f7c619f29ed8ab011c125113094a.png

¿See? Now the difference is not as much. I also would argue that the crystal pools is mostly used for beastclans, while the scene from this festival is more frequently visited by dragons. That would explain the magic runes Vs Glowing Crystals.

PD: We might also want to wait for the map upgrade. Since the version we have now is very oudated...artistically speaking ^^U
MCXC90a.png
she/her- Fr +5 - Games / Events entusiast
Familiars in Flames & Lava cookies

oAk80j4.png
I am not a creature that was born.
I am a fire that was set
P8RQZqQ.gif
I don't think it's so much changing as just showing more of what's always been there but wasn't the made the focus before. It's good that staff are willing to open things up a little in their portrayals of the flights.

I hope they keep that up and don't get badgered by players into sticking with narrow interpretations of what flights are allowed to look like.

And it's especially nice to see Arcane not getting another year of that same one-note "!!!everything bright pink!!!" treatment.
I don't think it's so much changing as just showing more of what's always been there but wasn't the made the focus before. It's good that staff are willing to open things up a little in their portrayals of the flights.

I hope they keep that up and don't get badgered by players into sticking with narrow interpretations of what flights are allowed to look like.

And it's especially nice to see Arcane not getting another year of that same one-note "!!!everything bright pink!!!" treatment.
[quote name="Kapow" date="2020-09-27 14:23:58" ] ah yea. Perhaps your original idea of Arcane's "aesthetic" in your mind was rather limited to the first impression you got from the maps image and colors? pink isnt typically associated with dark aesthetics. In color design, reds and dark purples and blues is what comes to mind. [/quote] I was thinking about some of the apparel, plus the paler header art. Pale golds (or, just, stark yellow gold), light blues and greens, and either very vibrant or pale pinks have been what comes to mind with lots of Arcane content, though I'd say the Spellwrought Shardhide and the gem guardian have shown the darker palettes before. Arcane will verge into very rich pinks and neon at times, but black isn't really something you'd see when it came to landscapes or items or apparel for Arcane (my Shadow comparison comes from the bright cyan against black/gray you usually see for it). So maybe the map update will bring an Arcane that fully embraces this darkness, or maybe it won't. I do think there's been a gradual shift (or even just a confirmation bias thing, since the Forbidden Portal is so recent), and I can't help but wonder what the reasoning is, and if it'll keep up.
Kapow wrote on 2020-09-27 14:23:58:
ah yea. Perhaps your original idea of Arcane's "aesthetic" in your mind was rather limited to the first impression you got from the maps image and colors? pink isnt typically associated with dark aesthetics. In color design, reds and dark purples and blues is what comes to mind.
I was thinking about some of the apparel, plus the paler header art. Pale golds (or, just, stark yellow gold), light blues and greens, and either very vibrant or pale pinks have been what comes to mind with lots of Arcane content, though I'd say the Spellwrought Shardhide and the gem guardian have shown the darker palettes before. Arcane will verge into very rich pinks and neon at times, but black isn't really something you'd see when it came to landscapes or items or apparel for Arcane (my Shadow comparison comes from the bright cyan against black/gray you usually see for it). So maybe the map update will bring an Arcane that fully embraces this darkness, or maybe it won't. I do think there's been a gradual shift (or even just a confirmation bias thing, since the Forbidden Portal is so recent), and I can't help but wonder what the reasoning is, and if it'll keep up.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
I don't think the new scene is all that Shadow-like, honestly? It strikes me as more whimsical, and the Starwood Strand itself does have a slightly foreboding lore-blurb on the World Map. But, I think the scene just shows the curiosity and experimentation that you mentioned (with the circle of runes) though I think the fact that it can be perceived as dark only contributes to the overall feel of the Starwood Strand and the theme of Arcane?

I think that the Forbidden Portal just kinda showcases the horror aspect of Arcane in a bolder way than most other official site things have done? The portal and the wreckage around it could be an example of what you mentioned: getting caught up in the consequences only when it's too far to turn back.

The darker side of the Arcane flight definitely is being shown a bit more, but I don't think anything is really changing about it! I don't think we're in for any big changes with the flight aesthetics, I think we're just beginning to 'officially' see the darker side of the flights (Goalers, the Emperor, the revolution in Fire, whatever happened at the Obscured Crescent, the fall of the Armistice between Nature and Plague, and the Forbidden Portal) that have been hinted at before.
I don't think the new scene is all that Shadow-like, honestly? It strikes me as more whimsical, and the Starwood Strand itself does have a slightly foreboding lore-blurb on the World Map. But, I think the scene just shows the curiosity and experimentation that you mentioned (with the circle of runes) though I think the fact that it can be perceived as dark only contributes to the overall feel of the Starwood Strand and the theme of Arcane?

I think that the Forbidden Portal just kinda showcases the horror aspect of Arcane in a bolder way than most other official site things have done? The portal and the wreckage around it could be an example of what you mentioned: getting caught up in the consequences only when it's too far to turn back.

The darker side of the Arcane flight definitely is being shown a bit more, but I don't think anything is really changing about it! I don't think we're in for any big changes with the flight aesthetics, I think we're just beginning to 'officially' see the darker side of the flights (Goalers, the Emperor, the revolution in Fire, whatever happened at the Obscured Crescent, the fall of the Armistice between Nature and Plague, and the Forbidden Portal) that have been hinted at before.
vjFLC.gif she/her
ace/bi
+2 FR time
forever rambling
[quote name="Hinumi" date="2020-09-27 14:57:34" ]Personally, I just think you are seeing different sides of Arcane territory and not necesary that is just going "dark" (besides, of course the artistic upgrade) the new scene is also at night so you might want to compare the night time version of the crystal pools...[/quote] I addressed the nighttime thing [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2913672/5#post_44781856]here[/url], and my tldr would be: lore intentions aren't my concern, staff's actual decisions are my concern. Anything can be justified in lore at any time, and my speculation here is actually wondering what this might mean for the future of site art- such as the map update.
Hinumi wrote on 2020-09-27 14:57:34:
Personally, I just think you are seeing different sides of Arcane territory and not necesary that is just going "dark" (besides, of course the artistic upgrade) the new scene is also at night so you might want to compare the night time version of the crystal pools...
I addressed the nighttime thing here, and my tldr would be: lore intentions aren't my concern, staff's actual decisions are my concern. Anything can be justified in lore at any time, and my speculation here is actually wondering what this might mean for the future of site art- such as the map update.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
It's not dad's fault-
It's not dad's fault-
pro tips:
- if you add a message to a CR then decline it, the person who you're trading with CAN'T see the message - editing a post DOES NOT re-ping any pings in the post. you have to remove the pings, submit, then add them back in.
[quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-09-27 07:13:36" ] Worsened neglect of certain flights? [/quote] [i]Laughs turn to sobs[/i]
Drakessis wrote on 2020-09-27 07:13:36:
Worsened neglect of certain flights?

Laughs turn to sobs
@@@mHwnQKP.png @@@ 3idolon.gif
@
@
[quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-09-27 15:13:05" ] [quote name="Hinumi" date="2020-09-27 14:57:34" ]Personally, I just think you are seeing different sides of Arcane territory and not necesary that is just going "dark" (besides, of course the artistic upgrade) the new scene is also at night so you might want to compare the night time version of the crystal pools...[/quote] I addressed the nighttime thing [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2913672/5#post_44781856]here[/url], and my tldr would be: lore intentions aren't my concern, staff's actual decisions are my concern. Anything can be justified in lore at any time, and my speculation here is actually wondering what this might mean for the future of site art- such as the map update. [/quote] The decisions with the art direction are good decisions. We’ve got plenty of bright and whimsy in Arcane, now we’re finally exploring the rest of it. I really don’t see what your issue is
Drakessis wrote on 2020-09-27 15:13:05:
I addressed the nighttime thing here, and my tldr would be: lore intentions aren't my concern, staff's actual decisions are my concern. Anything can be justified in lore at any time, and my speculation here is actually wondering what this might mean for the future of site art- such as the map update.

The decisions with the art direction are good decisions. We’ve got plenty of bright and whimsy in Arcane, now we’re finally exploring the rest of it. I really don’t see what your issue is
sBdLZtA.png
[quote name="Rowdy" date="2020-09-27 13:40:06" ] Every flight has the potential for horror aesthetics and as someone who loves dark and spooky, I'm jazzed to see it start with Arcane. I loved shadowstrike for shadow's fest too. All fire got this year was a lizard. [/quote] Indeed, i'm also of the opinion that any flight taken to it's logical extreme can easily get into horror tropes and aspects. It just also seems like for the moment we're seeing more of it in Arcane right now than we are other flights.
Rowdy wrote on 2020-09-27 13:40:06:
Every flight has the potential for horror aesthetics and as someone who loves dark and spooky, I'm jazzed to see it start with Arcane. I loved shadowstrike for shadow's fest too. All fire got this year was a lizard.

Indeed, i'm also of the opinion that any flight taken to it's logical extreme can easily get into horror tropes and aspects. It just also seems like for the moment we're seeing more of it in Arcane right now than we are other flights.
[quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-09-27 15:49:33" ] [quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-09-27 15:13:05" ] [quote name="Hinumi" date="2020-09-27 14:57:34" ]Personally, I just think you are seeing different sides of Arcane territory and not necesary that is just going "dark" (besides, of course the artistic upgrade) the new scene is also at night so you might want to compare the night time version of the crystal pools...[/quote] I addressed the nighttime thing [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2913672/5#post_44781856]here[/url], and my tldr would be: lore intentions aren't my concern, staff's actual decisions are my concern. Anything can be justified in lore at any time, and my speculation here is actually wondering what this might mean for the future of site art- such as the map update. [/quote] The decisions with the art direction are good decisions. We’ve got plenty of bright and whimsy in Arcane, now we’re finally exploring the rest of it. I really don’t see what your issue is [/quote] It doesn't matter if the decisions are good or not? I already said that I, personally, like them! But it's strange to see such an obvious change in focus/direction. So, if the focus is changing in a flight that already had a pretty coherent aesthetic(s), but people wanted to see another side of, what does that mean for the future of other flights? Especially ones that feel like they've been neglected, or incoherent. I never said this was a bad thing or a good thing, or that I thought something good or bad is going to come out of it. (Though I did have some concerns about possibly "losing" some of the original Arcane flair in the future as a possible result.) I'm just intrigued as to [i]why[/i] it's happening, if it will continue to happen, and what it "continuing" to happen actually means for the future of site art and flight aesthetics.
Contaminate wrote on 2020-09-27 15:49:33:
Drakessis wrote on 2020-09-27 15:13:05:

The decisions with the art direction are good decisions. We’ve got plenty of bright and whimsy in Arcane, now we’re finally exploring the rest of it. I really don’t see what your issue is
It doesn't matter if the decisions are good or not? I already said that I, personally, like them! But it's strange to see such an obvious change in focus/direction. So, if the focus is changing in a flight that already had a pretty coherent aesthetic(s), but people wanted to see another side of, what does that mean for the future of other flights? Especially ones that feel like they've been neglected, or incoherent.
I never said this was a bad thing or a good thing, or that I thought something good or bad is going to come out of it. (Though I did have some concerns about possibly "losing" some of the original Arcane flair in the future as a possible result.) I'm just intrigued as to why it's happening, if it will continue to happen, and what it "continuing" to happen actually means for the future of site art and flight aesthetics.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!