Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Arcane is getting... Darker?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Idk if it's been mentioned yet, but the scene depicts the Starwood Strand at night!
Starwood Strand wrote:
To stand inside of the Starwood at night is be embraced by an infinite universe. Along this former shoreline, the trees stretch skyward and grow taller than anywhere else. At night, they blossom and reveal millions of flowers winking in the moonlight like so many stars. It is a place for inspiration and thought. Many dragons discover their genius here, but many more become lost to the dangers hidden in its beauty.

Of course it's dark! It's night! Way better to show off those beautiful glowy magic trees!
Idk if it's been mentioned yet, but the scene depicts the Starwood Strand at night!
Starwood Strand wrote:
To stand inside of the Starwood at night is be embraced by an infinite universe. Along this former shoreline, the trees stretch skyward and grow taller than anywhere else. At night, they blossom and reveal millions of flowers winking in the moonlight like so many stars. It is a place for inspiration and thought. Many dragons discover their genius here, but many more become lost to the dangers hidden in its beauty.

Of course it's dark! It's night! Way better to show off those beautiful glowy magic trees!
oAK3y8z.png AfamSig.gif
it's weird to me only in the sense that plague's aesthetic seems to be skewing much more toward, idk, kid-friendly while arcane is leaning more into the eldritch horror aspect of late. a lot of the monsters in forbidden portal scream plague to me moreso than arcane, and it seems kinda weird that the aesthetic of arcane would be more scary/threatening than plague's considering how both flights were designed upon fr's launch. i mean, forbidden portal, with its giant eye monsters and terror frogs, has a giant arcane symbol in the portal, but the only so-called plague venue is the mire?

don't get me wrong, i love this year's apparel and the portal and all, but i'm hard-pressed to understand why staff is leaning so hard on cosmic horror with arcane now while historically not giving the same kind of treatment to plague.
it's weird to me only in the sense that plague's aesthetic seems to be skewing much more toward, idk, kid-friendly while arcane is leaning more into the eldritch horror aspect of late. a lot of the monsters in forbidden portal scream plague to me moreso than arcane, and it seems kinda weird that the aesthetic of arcane would be more scary/threatening than plague's considering how both flights were designed upon fr's launch. i mean, forbidden portal, with its giant eye monsters and terror frogs, has a giant arcane symbol in the portal, but the only so-called plague venue is the mire?

don't get me wrong, i love this year's apparel and the portal and all, but i'm hard-pressed to understand why staff is leaning so hard on cosmic horror with arcane now while historically not giving the same kind of treatment to plague.
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
Shadow is more "inky black and thorns" type of aesthetic, and Arcane is "eldritch madness"- looks like they're starting to go deeper into that side of them! I love the new aesthetic

Plague though? Plague is just getting friendlier.
Shadow is more "inky black and thorns" type of aesthetic, and Arcane is "eldritch madness"- looks like they're starting to go deeper into that side of them! I love the new aesthetic

Plague though? Plague is just getting friendlier.
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
[quote name="Ollieshark" date="2020-09-27 12:08:30" ] it's weird to me only in the sense that plague's aesthetic seems to be skewing much more toward, idk, kid-friendly while arcane is leaning more into the eldritch horror aspect of late. a lot of the monsters in forbidden portal scream plague to me moreso than arcane, and it seems kinda weird that the aesthetic of arcane would be more scary/threatening than plague's considering how both flights were designed upon fr's launch. i mean, forbidden portal, with its giant eye monsters and terror frogs, has a giant arcane symbol in the portal, but the only so-called plague venue is the mire? [/quote] Personally, I don't think the forbidden portal feels like a plague venue at all. Plague and arcane can both cause mutations, but I think of arcane as [i]cosmic[/i] horror, while plague is [i]biological[/i] horror. And based on the number of tentacles & jellyfish & eyes on the forbidden portal monsters, I think cosmic horror is the closer descriptor. That said, I'd love to see a plague-ier plague venue in the future. One where the background is full of twisted trees and those, for lack of a better word, meat tendrils. And where the monsters are all mutated to be twice as deadly as normal, or shambling masses of mold and fungus, or things that [i]should not be alive[/i] but are held together by the parasites infesting them. We already have the parasitic fungus familiar, so I think it should be possible to have enemies that suggest these traits without having a level of visual body horror that would upset most people. Alternatively, they could go the route of featuring familiars that are highly adapted to a dangerous setting, with lots of creative offensive and defensive adaptations both physical and magical.
Ollieshark wrote on 2020-09-27 12:08:30:

Personally, I don't think the forbidden portal feels like a plague venue at all. Plague and arcane can both cause mutations, but I think of arcane as cosmic horror, while plague is biological horror. And based on the number of tentacles & jellyfish & eyes on the forbidden portal monsters, I think cosmic horror is the closer descriptor.

That said, I'd love to see a plague-ier plague venue in the future. One where the background is full of twisted trees and those, for lack of a better word, meat tendrils. And where the monsters are all mutated to be twice as deadly as normal, or shambling masses of mold and fungus, or things that should not be alive but are held together by the parasites infesting them.

We already have the parasitic fungus familiar, so I think it should be possible to have enemies that suggest these traits without having a level of visual body horror that would upset most people. Alternatively, they could go the route of featuring familiars that are highly adapted to a dangerous setting, with lots of creative offensive and defensive adaptations both physical and magical.
Lore Hatchery

Clan Lore
8qVENyl.png
I don't mind a change up. I think flights have a variety of aesthetics that are valid. However, I hope that they show the glowy pink side of Arcane again in the future. I enjoy both sides though so I wouldn't like it if they focused exclusively on one over the other.
I don't mind a change up. I think flights have a variety of aesthetics that are valid. However, I hope that they show the glowy pink side of Arcane again in the future. I enjoy both sides though so I wouldn't like it if they focused exclusively on one over the other.
[LF] Female Ice Imp Low 6 digit - 50k gemsbiDj7CC.png
at least post the night version of crystal pools in its glory [img]https://i.imgur.com/nXQKvtX.png[/img] nothing is exactly dark, or exactly light.
at least post the night version of crystal pools in its glory
nXQKvtX.png

nothing is exactly dark, or exactly light.
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
Some arcane apparel and fams are still bright pinks and pastels, but it would be really boring if that's all it was. It's nice when they can show different facets of flights so they they don't feel so flat and empty. It doesn't mean arcane is any darker than it used to be, just that we're seeing more of it that we haven't seen before. Besides, the new venue is darker only because it's at night. It has pretty much the same color palette as crystal pools at night. If you expect nighttime to be all light I'm not sure what to tell you.

And I'm not exactly sure forbidden portal is exactly a arcane venue. It just seemed more like arcanist whoopsied again and boom portal to another dimension.
Some arcane apparel and fams are still bright pinks and pastels, but it would be really boring if that's all it was. It's nice when they can show different facets of flights so they they don't feel so flat and empty. It doesn't mean arcane is any darker than it used to be, just that we're seeing more of it that we haven't seen before. Besides, the new venue is darker only because it's at night. It has pretty much the same color palette as crystal pools at night. If you expect nighttime to be all light I'm not sure what to tell you.

And I'm not exactly sure forbidden portal is exactly a arcane venue. It just seemed more like arcanist whoopsied again and boom portal to another dimension.
Ribbon1.pngRibbon2.pngRibbon3.png
Every flight has the potential for horror aesthetics and as someone who loves dark and spooky, I'm jazzed to see it start with Arcane. I loved shadowstrike for shadow's fest too. All fire got this year was a lizard.
Every flight has the potential for horror aesthetics and as someone who loves dark and spooky, I'm jazzed to see it start with Arcane. I loved shadowstrike for shadow's fest too. All fire got this year was a lizard.
She|Her - Ace - FRT(0) | Lore
g67EwfB.png
I’ve never payed much attention to Arcane in all honesty, yet I’ve always loved the magic and spacey aesthetic and primal eyes. But the darker colours lately and all this mention of horror makes me really intrigued, I’ll prob go familiarize myself better with Arcane lore [emoji=normal eyes size=1][emoji=normal eyes size=1] I absolutely love the new scene it’s so cool to me! So mysterious and awesome
I’ve never payed much attention to Arcane in all honesty, yet I’ve always loved the magic and spacey aesthetic and primal eyes. But the darker colours lately and all this mention of horror makes me really intrigued, I’ll prob go familiarize myself better with Arcane lore

I absolutely love the new scene it’s so cool to me! So mysterious and awesome
Untitled_Artwork.png
I think it makes sense with Arcane. Not everything magic is Sunshine and Daisies Magical Girl, and heck, Arcanist already almost doomed the world once.

I like it when there's a duality to things, or a spectrum, rather. Something doesn't have to be Entirely Good or Entirely Bad, for there's really no such thing. You can be Arcane without being dark and into the edgy stuff, but if there is bad or questionable stuff within arcane, I think this route makes sense for it. So I don't necessarily mind seeing the darker stuff.

(I just wish there was a different direction taken with Arcane Gone Wrong than "EYES EVERYWHERE!!!". That's just bad for my scopophobia.)

I also think it's nice to not just have Plague be the designated Bad Things flight with extra focus on that while there's not so much focus on that with the other flights; that's something that's bothered me for a while. (I know it's not necessarily the intention. But even the Bounty of Elements story involving Plague, while definitely having some good parts, ended up pointing fingers at Plague flight by the end.) I think more work could be done on that on Plague's end, but balancing the others works as well.
I think it makes sense with Arcane. Not everything magic is Sunshine and Daisies Magical Girl, and heck, Arcanist already almost doomed the world once.

I like it when there's a duality to things, or a spectrum, rather. Something doesn't have to be Entirely Good or Entirely Bad, for there's really no such thing. You can be Arcane without being dark and into the edgy stuff, but if there is bad or questionable stuff within arcane, I think this route makes sense for it. So I don't necessarily mind seeing the darker stuff.

(I just wish there was a different direction taken with Arcane Gone Wrong than "EYES EVERYWHERE!!!". That's just bad for my scopophobia.)

I also think it's nice to not just have Plague be the designated Bad Things flight with extra focus on that while there's not so much focus on that with the other flights; that's something that's bothered me for a while. (I know it's not necessarily the intention. But even the Bounty of Elements story involving Plague, while definitely having some good parts, ended up pointing fingers at Plague flight by the end.) I think more work could be done on that on Plague's end, but balancing the others works as well.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9