Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Arcane is getting... Darker?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I don't feel like it's a shift at all though. It's more like every flight has always had a light and dark version of themselves, and Arcane is currently tapping into its darker aspects more. Arcane is one of those flights that looks safe and happy at first glance, but gets increasingly messed up the more you look into it, which I feel also helps the cosmic horror aspect of it.
I don't feel like it's a shift at all though. It's more like every flight has always had a light and dark version of themselves, and Arcane is currently tapping into its darker aspects more. Arcane is one of those flights that looks safe and happy at first glance, but gets increasingly messed up the more you look into it, which I feel also helps the cosmic horror aspect of it.
23845.pngx..x28176.pngx.x23846.png
[quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-09-27 08:08:05" ] [quote name="Silver202" date="2020-09-27 08:00:38" ] Flight aesthetics are flexible. [/quote] cries in Plague [/quote] Plague does have flexible aesthetics, though, I think! I think the flights with the least flexible aesthetics (edit: festival-wise; I'm not talking about lore) tends to be Lightning (all higher-technology, all with visible electricity either crackling or glowing, even the Highland Scavenger gear and the wrench). Plague specifically has the more rot-y aesthetic items like the Rotclaw and the Contaminated Halo, the more survival oriented but very cool-looking black armor/apparel like the Infectalons and Carapace Arm, the more tattery casualwear red fabric bone apparel like the Tatters (Boneyard and Scavenger's) and the Skeletal Chimes. Then you have flights like Water where the only theme I can come up with for any of the fest apparel is "water-related," because the looks tend to be so disparate. You have gills, you have underwater fishy friends, you have a jug of magic water, you have a netting cape, you have a trident, you have big flashy fancy jewelry rigs… there could be cases made for grouping some of them together but it's a lot more of a stretch. And then you have something like Fire, where most of their gear is metalwork and forge gear— even the iguana has metalwork!— but then out of nowhere their 2015 gear is magic fire with the lore "stay away from this." It's very hard to link to a forge or metalwork at all, and yet it's there, looking cool and being very popular but also sticking out like a sore thumb against the rest of the fest gear because we haven't gotten anything else different. Earth's got a little of this, too, with the more recent Crystalcourt Cascades being their only fancy cut-gem beauty-oriented attire and most of their gear being entirely practical. Edit: I should also add that this doesn't mean I hate the magic fire or the Crystalcourt Cascades, just that they don't fit a pattern yet! Absolutely not; like many people, I love them and they're some of my favorite fest apparel items for those flights. And like with Arcane's gear this year compared to the Shardhide, it's entirely possible we'll look back and go "ah, yes, this is linked to this aesthetic we got a tiny bit of earlier." (And, indeed, the Shardhide was my favorite before so I'm loving this fest.) [emoji=ridgeback happy size=1]
Drakessis wrote on 2020-09-27 08:08:05:
Silver202 wrote on 2020-09-27 08:00:38:
Flight aesthetics are flexible.
cries in Plague

Plague does have flexible aesthetics, though, I think! I think the flights with the least flexible aesthetics (edit: festival-wise; I'm not talking about lore) tends to be Lightning (all higher-technology, all with visible electricity either crackling or glowing, even the Highland Scavenger gear and the wrench). Plague specifically has the more rot-y aesthetic items like the Rotclaw and the Contaminated Halo, the more survival oriented but very cool-looking black armor/apparel like the Infectalons and Carapace Arm, the more tattery casualwear red fabric bone apparel like the Tatters (Boneyard and Scavenger's) and the Skeletal Chimes.

Then you have flights like Water where the only theme I can come up with for any of the fest apparel is "water-related," because the looks tend to be so disparate. You have gills, you have underwater fishy friends, you have a jug of magic water, you have a netting cape, you have a trident, you have big flashy fancy jewelry rigs… there could be cases made for grouping some of them together but it's a lot more of a stretch.

And then you have something like Fire, where most of their gear is metalwork and forge gear— even the iguana has metalwork!— but then out of nowhere their 2015 gear is magic fire with the lore "stay away from this." It's very hard to link to a forge or metalwork at all, and yet it's there, looking cool and being very popular but also sticking out like a sore thumb against the rest of the fest gear because we haven't gotten anything else different. Earth's got a little of this, too, with the more recent Crystalcourt Cascades being their only fancy cut-gem beauty-oriented attire and most of their gear being entirely practical.

Edit: I should also add that this doesn't mean I hate the magic fire or the Crystalcourt Cascades, just that they don't fit a pattern yet! Absolutely not; like many people, I love them and they're some of my favorite fest apparel items for those flights. And like with Arcane's gear this year compared to the Shardhide, it's entirely possible we'll look back and go "ah, yes, this is linked to this aesthetic we got a tiny bit of earlier." (And, indeed, the Shardhide was my favorite before so I'm loving this fest.)
[quote name="Mystiek" date="2020-09-27 07:16:15" ] Arcanist is 10 minutes away from causing another apocalypse. [/quote] Lol you wish. Eesh. Posts like this make me wanna make my “who would end this era” deep look into public. Spoiler. It’s not arcane sweetie.
Mystiek wrote on 2020-09-27 07:16:15:
Arcanist is 10 minutes away from causing another apocalypse.
Lol you wish.

Eesh. Posts like this make me wanna make my “who would end this era” deep look into public. Spoiler. It’s not arcane sweetie.
TBD
I really like arcane for this reason. It's a soft pink faerie forest aesthetic, but when you delve deep enough there are eldritch horrors lying in wait. I'm so happy this side of arcane is being showcased as well.
I really like arcane for this reason. It's a soft pink faerie forest aesthetic, but when you delve deep enough there are eldritch horrors lying in wait. I'm so happy this side of arcane is being showcased as well.
jCVhFoZ.gif
Arcane has always had this lore, and I'm glad it's having more of a showcase than it always being pink and happy or whatever. Arcane was my first flight because of the lore, but I moved because there was a severe lack of a decent reflection of the actual eldritch side. I see no problem with them giving us content that reflects that because a lot of us really wanted it from the start.

Also I don't get shadow vibes from the scene at all? It's the starwood strand in an astronomy oriented flight. Night time and glowing trees. The shadow flight is dark slimy bogs and a halloween carnival lmao
Arcane has always had this lore, and I'm glad it's having more of a showcase than it always being pink and happy or whatever. Arcane was my first flight because of the lore, but I moved because there was a severe lack of a decent reflection of the actual eldritch side. I see no problem with them giving us content that reflects that because a lot of us really wanted it from the start.

Also I don't get shadow vibes from the scene at all? It's the starwood strand in an astronomy oriented flight. Night time and glowing trees. The shadow flight is dark slimy bogs and a halloween carnival lmao
[quote name="Drakessis" date="2020-09-27 07:33:04" ] See, I think the horror in Arcane is sort of a tragedy- being too curious for your own good, and only getting caught up in the consequences when it's too far to turn back. From the outside perspective, it's avoidable, which makes it scarier to see someone descend and destroy things around them without really realizing they have a choice. A tragedy. But to embrace the darkness of Arcane loses that. There's no naivety when dragons always know the danger, or when the land is dark and warns you about the price of curiosity and exploration before you even begin. [/quote] I agree. For me, Arcane has always been the 'psychological horror' flight - a slow descent into madness, all based on curiosity, naivety and good intentions. Sure, all flights have their own horror aspect, but Arcane is, somehow, the scariest. However, I don't think the darker aesthetic ruins it, it's more of a 'this is what can happen, this is behind the crystal facade' look.
Drakessis wrote on 2020-09-27 07:33:04:
See, I think the horror in Arcane is sort of a tragedy- being too curious for your own good, and only getting caught up in the consequences when it's too far to turn back. From the outside perspective, it's avoidable, which makes it scarier to see someone descend and destroy things around them without really realizing they have a choice. A tragedy. But to embrace the darkness of Arcane loses that. There's no naivety when dragons always know the danger, or when the land is dark and warns you about the price of curiosity and exploration before you even begin.
I agree. For me, Arcane has always been the 'psychological horror' flight - a slow descent into madness, all based on curiosity, naivety and good intentions. Sure, all flights have their own horror aspect, but Arcane is, somehow, the scariest.
However, I don't think the darker aesthetic ruins it, it's more of a 'this is what can happen, this is behind the crystal facade' look.
FR+9 They/Them Flower Adoptables! Lore lair My avatar
JqyUxCg.gif2STS4nL.gif Logo_2.png
There is more to Arcane than what meets the eye. It’s embracing the scary sides of space and curiosity and I’m loving it. It’s always been there, but it’s only starting to be brought into focus now. Arcane lore the past few years has made Arcane one of my favorite flights!
There is more to Arcane than what meets the eye. It’s embracing the scary sides of space and curiosity and I’m loving it. It’s always been there, but it’s only starting to be brought into focus now. Arcane lore the past few years has made Arcane one of my favorite flights!
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
[center][quote name="GiantPandroid" date="2020-09-27 08:52:23" ] I don't feel like it's a shift at all though. It's more like every flight has always had a light and dark version of themselves, and Arcane is currently tapping into its darker aspects more. Arcane is one of those flights that looks safe and happy at first glance, but gets increasingly messed up the more you look into it, which I feel also helps the cosmic horror aspect of it. [/quote] I'm personally very happy that other Flights are tapping into their horror potential. Hopefully this makes staff realize that we love this kind of stuff and spurs them to start undoing the Plague bias.
GiantPandroid wrote on 2020-09-27 08:52:23:
I'm personally very happy that other Flights are tapping into their horror potential. Hopefully this makes staff realize that we love this kind of stuff and spurs them to start undoing the Plague bias.
Signature Machine Broke
849-gi.png
hh5n4WA.pngXC93sMs.png
wthFnM3.pngYMPbu9R.png
I'm trying to max bond all my familiars, and I have noticed how less pint Arcane's gem guardian is. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/31686.png[/img]
I'm trying to max bond all my familiars, and I have noticed how less pint Arcane's gem guardian is.

31686.png
GkKw54H.png
I would say its hard to call the portal arcane territory. It's more a nightmare world they found whilst prodding at the fabric between realities. All they did was create a stable door way to it.
Other than that I share some folks sentiments that arcane has always been like this were just getting a chance to see it for how it really is. Also it hard to say that the world map is an accurate representation of any flight due to its known inaccuracies. It's part of why I'm very excited to see the updated map and how that changes everyone's perspective of the world.
I would say its hard to call the portal arcane territory. It's more a nightmare world they found whilst prodding at the fabric between realities. All they did was create a stable door way to it.
Other than that I share some folks sentiments that arcane has always been like this were just getting a chance to see it for how it really is. Also it hard to say that the world map is an accurate representation of any flight due to its known inaccuracies. It's part of why I'm very excited to see the updated map and how that changes everyone's perspective of the world.
rf2tsx4.pngZs5ariW.pngaJj1GZH.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9