Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Silhouette Scroll
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Not that I'm not excited to see an update to a website that I've been part of for a long time, but I feel like the only person with some complaints about the silhouette scroll. Firstly, why is this paid item? The artwork for both genders of dragons doesn't require any additional creating. It's already right here on the website, same with the clothing and everything. I think it should be simply added as an unpaid toggle option ( like how they added scenes ), but if you want a more complex pose down the line --say laying down, or mid flight for example-- then THAT could be a paid purchase per dragon. Again, just like scenes. Secondly, I see people who are excited about this because they have trans or nonbinary dragons. I think there is this perception that the scroll will make their dragons appear more feminine/masculine etc. I applaud their excitement over this update, because as a nonbinary person myself, it's important for representation. But this isn't it, chief. It would be far better to have additional gender options for dragons, or to have the ability to "fill in the blank" or simply remove the male/female toggle if one desires. Dunno. As excited as I am for more updates, this just. Doesn't feel as exciting as people seem to making it? EDITS: [quote]What I'm saying is that, for me personally, watching my LGBTQ+ siblings having to pay for something that makes them happy is...I don't know. It's upsetting in a way that maybe I'm not verbalizing well? It certainly feels like a monetization issue, which is probably why I made that comparison. Is it? Not really, for the reasons you stated. That it's just a pose change scroll. But I think a large part of that is that the pose was tied to the dragon's gender for so long that it's become ingrained in me ( and maybe others! ) that certain poses are certain genders. Perhaps this is a good time to re-evaluate my own gender expectations and norms in digital settings![/quote] [quote]I never said it WAS a genderswap scroll....? I said that's basically how it feels, but without the added functionality of actually changing the dragon's gender.[/quote] [b]EDITS PT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO[/b] [quote]Everyone seems to want to paint me as some sort of trash-munching whiny overlord. Which isn't true. [s]I'm not an overlord at all[/s]! Jokes aside, as said in my post, if you're happy with this update, that's great! I'm happy for you! Please enjoy this new feature that absolutely does not impact anyone else's gameplay at all! But I, personally, am not happy with it. And I'm allowed to feel that way, and express my opinion as to why I feel unhappy with the update. Because again, this doesn't impact anyone's gameplay but my own. And I am choosing not to use the scrolls. But coming onto this thread and fighting with me, or trying to invalidate my opinion isn't a particularly good look. Especially when you tell me I'm making a problem out of nothing. I'm just stating my opinion. And my opinion is: I do not care for the update, nor do I care for the potential fall out effects. It costs zero gems to be polite.[/quote]
Not that I'm not excited to see an update to a website that I've been part of for a long time, but I feel like the only person with some complaints about the silhouette scroll.

Firstly, why is this paid item? The artwork for both genders of dragons doesn't require any additional creating. It's already right here on the website, same with the clothing and everything. I think it should be simply added as an unpaid toggle option ( like how they added scenes ), but if you want a more complex pose down the line --say laying down, or mid flight for example-- then THAT could be a paid purchase per dragon. Again, just like scenes.

Secondly, I see people who are excited about this because they have trans or nonbinary dragons. I think there is this perception that the scroll will make their dragons appear more feminine/masculine etc. I applaud their excitement over this update, because as a nonbinary person myself, it's important for representation. But this isn't it, chief. It would be far better to have additional gender options for dragons, or to have the ability to "fill in the blank" or simply remove the male/female toggle if one desires.

Dunno. As excited as I am for more updates, this just. Doesn't feel as exciting as people seem to making it?

EDITS:
Quote:
What I'm saying is that, for me personally, watching my LGBTQ+ siblings having to pay for something that makes them happy is...I don't know. It's upsetting in a way that maybe I'm not verbalizing well? It certainly feels like a monetization issue, which is probably why I made that comparison. Is it? Not really, for the reasons you stated. That it's just a pose change scroll.

But I think a large part of that is that the pose was tied to the dragon's gender for so long that it's become ingrained in me ( and maybe others! ) that certain poses are certain genders. Perhaps this is a good time to re-evaluate my own gender expectations and norms in digital settings!
Quote:
I never said it WAS a genderswap scroll....? I said that's basically how it feels, but without the added functionality of actually changing the dragon's gender.

EDITS PT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Quote:
Everyone seems to want to paint me as some sort of trash-munching whiny overlord. Which isn't true. I'm not an overlord at all!

Jokes aside, as said in my post, if you're happy with this update, that's great! I'm happy for you! Please enjoy this new feature that absolutely does not impact anyone else's gameplay at all!

But I, personally, am not happy with it. And I'm allowed to feel that way, and express my opinion as to why I feel unhappy with the update. Because again, this doesn't impact anyone's gameplay but my own. And I am choosing not to use the scrolls. But coming onto this thread and fighting with me, or trying to invalidate my opinion isn't a particularly good look. Especially when you tell me I'm making a problem out of nothing. I'm just stating my opinion. And my opinion is: I do not care for the update, nor do I care for the potential fall out effects.

It costs zero gems to be polite.
fqn8lLh.png
Creating multiple more poses for each breed would be a TON of work and make everything far slower, though. For example; look at how long the creation of a new modern breed is taking. As a trans person, I think this is a perfectly fine way to do it
Creating multiple more poses for each breed would be a TON of work and make everything far slower, though. For example; look at how long the creation of a new modern breed is taking. As a trans person, I think this is a perfectly fine way to do it

And as a nonbinary person, I feel like charging 400 gems for a scroll to toggle the already existing artwork is monetizing my identity.

I'm happy for people who are happy about it.

But I am, personally, not really pleased.
And as a nonbinary person, I feel like charging 400 gems for a scroll to toggle the already existing artwork is monetizing my identity.

I'm happy for people who are happy about it.

But I am, personally, not really pleased.
fqn8lLh.png
you really live up to your username huh

i think it's just so you have the option
it's just like saying we shouldn't pay for breed change scrolls because the breeds are already there
the point is that if you REALLY need to change that silhouette, then you can pay to do so
it's literally a cosmetic thing, and everything cosmetic in this game is payed for
you really live up to your username huh

i think it's just so you have the option
it's just like saying we shouldn't pay for breed change scrolls because the breeds are already there
the point is that if you REALLY need to change that silhouette, then you can pay to do so
it's literally a cosmetic thing, and everything cosmetic in this game is payed for
tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gif || drearie
|| she/her
|| bi
|| worm king
|| anthem
Why should it not be a paid item? It's along the lines of Eternal Youth, Boon of Fertility, and Scroll of Maturity (etc) in manner of effecting the dragon, and as it is a Gem Marketplace it can't run out, so it would be there whenever you want it.
Why should it not be a paid item? It's along the lines of Eternal Youth, Boon of Fertility, and Scroll of Maturity (etc) in manner of effecting the dragon, and as it is a Gem Marketplace it can't run out, so it would be there whenever you want it.
4QFtgPW.png
I think you need to look into the perspective not art wise but coding wise.

Its is in the code to handle breed changing but i image not gender changing esp on a toggle that someone can do anytime.

I Image that took a bit of coding to not have that mess up an so on.
because i image it still allows you to put on apparel/accents an so on.

An they prob took a bit of time to code to make sure all of that works properly that no one is gonna accidentally lose any items an stuff.
:3

i couldn't begin to know how one would have to code things to make the gender toggle work an nor do i want to know.
I think you need to look into the perspective not art wise but coding wise.

Its is in the code to handle breed changing but i image not gender changing esp on a toggle that someone can do anytime.

I Image that took a bit of coding to not have that mess up an so on.
because i image it still allows you to put on apparel/accents an so on.

An they prob took a bit of time to code to make sure all of that works properly that no one is gonna accidentally lose any items an stuff.
:3

i couldn't begin to know how one would have to code things to make the gender toggle work an nor do i want to know.
rIqRfi8.png

3SnnTam.png
[quote name="Reilata" date="2020-09-15 07:06:48" ] Why should it not be a paid item? It's along the lines of Eternal Youth, Boon of Fertility, and Scroll of Maturity (etc) in manner of effecting the dragon, and as it is a Gem Marketplace it can't run out, so it would be there whenever you want it. [/quote] Yeah I thought this was why it was a paid item. I mean by the OPs logic scroll of eternal youth should be a free toggle and sorry but ships already sailed on that.
Reilata wrote on 2020-09-15 07:06:48:

Yeah I thought this was why it was a paid item. I mean by the OPs logic scroll of eternal youth should be a free toggle and sorry but ships already sailed on that.
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
@drearie

#goodone

This is the first time I've actually complained about a feature on this website. Shockingly. LMAO.

Anyways, I kinda gave my two cents. I think everyone is allowed to feel how they feel about it. I'm not particularly looking to start a fight. Like I said, I'm happy that some people are happy, but I'm not. And that's okay.

@drearie

#goodone

This is the first time I've actually complained about a feature on this website. Shockingly. LMAO.

Anyways, I kinda gave my two cents. I think everyone is allowed to feel how they feel about it. I'm not particularly looking to start a fight. Like I said, I'm happy that some people are happy, but I'm not. And that's okay.

fqn8lLh.png
Wow this blew up more than I thought it would...
Wow this blew up more than I thought it would...
fqn8lLh.png
[quote name="Severynn" date="2020-09-15 07:01:31" ] Creating multiple more poses for each breed would be a TON of work and make everything far slower, though. For example; look at how long the creation of a new modern breed is taking... [/quote] As a person who is currently planning on going into software development, this is sorta what the issue is. While it certainly does seem like a pose change scroll is a simple matter, the amount of backend work that goes into it is quite shocking.
Severynn wrote on 2020-09-15 07:01:31:
Creating multiple more poses for each breed would be a TON of work and make everything far slower, though. For example; look at how long the creation of a new modern breed is taking...

As a person who is currently planning on going into software development, this is sorta what the issue is. While it certainly does seem like a pose change scroll is a simple matter, the amount of backend work that goes into it is quite shocking.
larvesta.gifvolcarona.giflarvesta.gifvolcarona.gif -
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8