Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | how do breed changes make sense but not
-gender changes

i mean like if we're going to be logical gender changes make more sense? i don't understand why people don't support gender change scrolls, at the same time if it did exist it should be pretty expensive so that people don't yk go crazy buying scrolls.

i mean if breed changes are like plastic surgery? it doesn't make sense for it to change so much...

i think color/gene changes are more so plastic surgery
-gender changes

i mean like if we're going to be logical gender changes make more sense? i don't understand why people don't support gender change scrolls, at the same time if it did exist it should be pretty expensive so that people don't yk go crazy buying scrolls.

i mean if breed changes are like plastic surgery? it doesn't make sense for it to change so much...

i think color/gene changes are more so plastic surgery

blue | +2 FRT
casual love

raffle
pm me to be friends!
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
16471.png
Well, the sexes can be obtained from hatching/breeding any dragon. But you can't put a Mirror and a Spiral together and expect to get a Bogsneak, or a Gaoler. But you can expect male and/or female hatchlings. And you could argue that tricolour scatterscrolls are not the same as a sex change scroll, since the scatterscroll is a random chance between over 160 colours (three different times), while a sex change scroll can only go one way.

Ultimately I don't care either way if there's a sex change scroll or not, but I also understand the mechanics behind why there hasn't been one yet. I'm supportive only for those who want/need them, not for myself.

Though, FR still refuses to have different means of gaining natural eye types, so I can very easily see them ignoring the plea for pose/sex change scrolls.
Well, the sexes can be obtained from hatching/breeding any dragon. But you can't put a Mirror and a Spiral together and expect to get a Bogsneak, or a Gaoler. But you can expect male and/or female hatchlings. And you could argue that tricolour scatterscrolls are not the same as a sex change scroll, since the scatterscroll is a random chance between over 160 colours (three different times), while a sex change scroll can only go one way.

Ultimately I don't care either way if there's a sex change scroll or not, but I also understand the mechanics behind why there hasn't been one yet. I'm supportive only for those who want/need them, not for myself.

Though, FR still refuses to have different means of gaining natural eye types, so I can very easily see them ignoring the plea for pose/sex change scrolls.
1uCNaW7.pngTTTUSP9.pngueG66KW.pngxjP79Zx.pngO0Pbuvo.png
Breed changes are canonically magic scrolls rather than surgery. So in lore ways I wouldn't see why someone couldn't come up with one to change sex if one so desired.

But for game mechanics ways, it would mess up a bunch of things about lineage and remove a whole level of difficulty to the breeding aspect of things.
Breed changes are canonically magic scrolls rather than surgery. So in lore ways I wouldn't see why someone couldn't come up with one to change sex if one so desired.

But for game mechanics ways, it would mess up a bunch of things about lineage and remove a whole level of difficulty to the breeding aspect of things.
4QFtgPW.png
A gender is one of the core mechanics of the game, because it is connected to breeding. If we had a such scroll around, it would completely destroy the breeding system. Let alone coding for that would be absolutely nightmare. I can see it making breeding projects way too easy as well.
A gender is one of the core mechanics of the game, because it is connected to breeding. If we had a such scroll around, it would completely destroy the breeding system. Let alone coding for that would be absolutely nightmare. I can see it making breeding projects way too easy as well.
From a lore perspective? No real difference. And, I mean, it really is that simple: just mention that your dragon is a different gender in bio. I have a fair number of nb dragons so have to do that anyway due to no possibility of the sex and gender matching, and it's easier than ever with the new dragon broadcast system.

Actual sex changes, from a game mechanics perspective? A lot of difference.

FR wasn't designed from the beginning to include sex changes, and the coding reflects that in some ways that aren't necessarily intuitive. The lineage system interacts with sex to determine display, for instance. The site was designed to include breed changes, because from the very beginning there wasn't any way to get breed changes besides paying for them. If we didn't have breed changes, we'd only have Tundras, Faes, Guardians, and Mirrors, with the possible addition of Nocturnes and Bogsneaks afterwards. That's just a decision that FR made from the beginning.

That said, I'd love the option of a pose change scroll (simple cosmetics, discussed often on the Suggestions forum, just visually swapping the pose of a dragon with some sort of marker like with Eternal Youth) because it feels a lot more versatile to me and doesn't have to engage with the lineage coding with the possibility of breaking it entirely the way a full sex change scroll would. Basically, a lot of counterargument to "it could mess with the lineage coding" is to only allow its use on unbred dragons, except that means if you've bred your progens (mechanically, your only irreplaceable dragons, though emotionally that varies from user to user), you can never, ever use such an item on them, which feels very limiting to me in a way that pose change isn't.

Edited in an attempt to make some of my sentences clearer and to give an example of non-obvious ways that sex is involved in coding.
From a lore perspective? No real difference. And, I mean, it really is that simple: just mention that your dragon is a different gender in bio. I have a fair number of nb dragons so have to do that anyway due to no possibility of the sex and gender matching, and it's easier than ever with the new dragon broadcast system.

Actual sex changes, from a game mechanics perspective? A lot of difference.

FR wasn't designed from the beginning to include sex changes, and the coding reflects that in some ways that aren't necessarily intuitive. The lineage system interacts with sex to determine display, for instance. The site was designed to include breed changes, because from the very beginning there wasn't any way to get breed changes besides paying for them. If we didn't have breed changes, we'd only have Tundras, Faes, Guardians, and Mirrors, with the possible addition of Nocturnes and Bogsneaks afterwards. That's just a decision that FR made from the beginning.

That said, I'd love the option of a pose change scroll (simple cosmetics, discussed often on the Suggestions forum, just visually swapping the pose of a dragon with some sort of marker like with Eternal Youth) because it feels a lot more versatile to me and doesn't have to engage with the lineage coding with the possibility of breaking it entirely the way a full sex change scroll would. Basically, a lot of counterargument to "it could mess with the lineage coding" is to only allow its use on unbred dragons, except that means if you've bred your progens (mechanically, your only irreplaceable dragons, though emotionally that varies from user to user), you can never, ever use such an item on them, which feels very limiting to me in a way that pose change isn't.

Edited in an attempt to make some of my sentences clearer and to give an example of non-obvious ways that sex is involved in coding.
I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as it is more of a suggestion than a general Flight Rising discussion. Please remember that the correct forum for suggestions is the Suggestions Forum. Thank you!

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as it is more of a suggestion than a general Flight Rising discussion. Please remember that the correct forum for suggestions is the Suggestions Forum. Thank you!