Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Share F.R. Headcanons
1 2 3 4 5 6
A collection of random thoughts regarding the flight rising world. Feel free to share your headcanons or just read someone else’s.
A collection of random thoughts regarding the flight rising world. Feel free to share your headcanons or just read someone else’s.
I shall begin with a note on eye types. Specifically, the primal eye type. The way I see it, though having a primal eye type could be considered a sign of good luck or a “sign from the gods” the reality of the situation is that the primal eye type is quite a nuisance.
Firstly, being that the eye type is rare, it is likely that it will warrant attention (can you imagine routinely being stopped while going about your everyday business because “omg you have such cool eyes, you’re so lucky, can I touch it?”).
And secondly, doing things must be annoying as well. Shadow and water flights would have to worry about dripping goop everywhere, light would have trouble going about the day with GLOWING eye sockets. Does nature have to take care of their eyes so that the plants stay healthy? How does one appropriately wear glasses or eye gear when they either get toasted or soaked and fogged up by snow? Does a strengthened link to arcane magic cause any issues when the cliffs grow or magic misbehaves?

In conclusion, having magic eyes is hard.
I shall begin with a note on eye types. Specifically, the primal eye type. The way I see it, though having a primal eye type could be considered a sign of good luck or a “sign from the gods” the reality of the situation is that the primal eye type is quite a nuisance.
Firstly, being that the eye type is rare, it is likely that it will warrant attention (can you imagine routinely being stopped while going about your everyday business because “omg you have such cool eyes, you’re so lucky, can I touch it?”).
And secondly, doing things must be annoying as well. Shadow and water flights would have to worry about dripping goop everywhere, light would have trouble going about the day with GLOWING eye sockets. Does nature have to take care of their eyes so that the plants stay healthy? How does one appropriately wear glasses or eye gear when they either get toasted or soaked and fogged up by snow? Does a strengthened link to arcane magic cause any issues when the cliffs grow or magic misbehaves?

In conclusion, having magic eyes is hard.
Spirals have rap battles. They're energetic and manic enough that their minds can link seemingly obscure ideas, thinking up verses on the spot, and they have formidable speed. Two or more Spirals in competition is a sight to behold.

Coatls can in fact sing perfectly well by general dragon standards, with a little direction. They just don't see the appeal of singing 'potato potato lair fish nose bacon' when they could recite epic poetry or something.

I'd like to believe that for all their gossip and pettiness, there is a sort of unspoken rule among Pearlcatchers that you don't (directly) insult someone's pearl. Since it's basically their soul, insulting a pearl is considered a major offense. A Nocturne mimicking it's clanmates, or a newly breed-changed getting the hang of making a pearl will be met with many side-eyes, but there won't be anything said against it.
Spirals have rap battles. They're energetic and manic enough that their minds can link seemingly obscure ideas, thinking up verses on the spot, and they have formidable speed. Two or more Spirals in competition is a sight to behold.

Coatls can in fact sing perfectly well by general dragon standards, with a little direction. They just don't see the appeal of singing 'potato potato lair fish nose bacon' when they could recite epic poetry or something.

I'd like to believe that for all their gossip and pettiness, there is a sort of unspoken rule among Pearlcatchers that you don't (directly) insult someone's pearl. Since it's basically their soul, insulting a pearl is considered a major offense. A Nocturne mimicking it's clanmates, or a newly breed-changed getting the hang of making a pearl will be met with many side-eyes, but there won't be anything said against it.
med_fish_smol.pngsplish_smol.png
Fluffy dragons end up with Faes in their fur. Tundras and Gaolers are Fae hubs. If you're soft, you have Faes.

Gaolers with gnarlhorns hold smaller dragons in their horns.

Other breeds will often gift seafood to Ridgebacks since they tend to hate water.

When clans migrate, the bigger dragons will carry the smaller ones so that they don't get knocked off the flight path by the flap of their mighty wings.
Fluffy dragons end up with Faes in their fur. Tundras and Gaolers are Fae hubs. If you're soft, you have Faes.

Gaolers with gnarlhorns hold smaller dragons in their horns.

Other breeds will often gift seafood to Ridgebacks since they tend to hate water.

When clans migrate, the bigger dragons will carry the smaller ones so that they don't get knocked off the flight path by the flap of their mighty wings.
LRphJMG.png
*Literally one post of my lorebook has all this so I'm just gonna pick some of my favs*
Banescales love music! They'll sing melodies and play music on instruments. All dragon breeds agree that banescales have the most beautiful voices.

Banescales are almost painfully polite. They'll apologize for something that's not their fault! Unless someone talks bad about their clan/ respective deity, then all qualms are out.

Banescales like to paint their scales, something reminiscent of war paint, although not used in the same context. They'll paint each other in celebrations of
Love
Friendship
Hatching ceremonies
Clan festivals
Victories(rarely)
*Literally one post of my lorebook has all this so I'm just gonna pick some of my favs*
Banescales love music! They'll sing melodies and play music on instruments. All dragon breeds agree that banescales have the most beautiful voices.

Banescales are almost painfully polite. They'll apologize for something that's not their fault! Unless someone talks bad about their clan/ respective deity, then all qualms are out.

Banescales like to paint their scales, something reminiscent of war paint, although not used in the same context. They'll paint each other in celebrations of
Love
Friendship
Hatching ceremonies
Clan festivals
Victories(rarely)
in7SefG.png
Despite appearing more similar to most dragons than many commonplace breeds, Banescales are seen as an outlier of sorts. This is because they entirely lack hands, or, indeed, any manipulating limbs at all. Their strange four-limbed form could have been attributed to the needs of combat, but this does not explain why they have no talons in locations that would scarcely interfere with their fighting ability; it would have cost their goddess little to grant them extra digits on their wings, or make their feet dextrous enough for forgework.

This decision, to take away the capacity for creation from her children, is particularly strange for the Flamecaller, whose philosophy demands that her followers make their mark on the world. It could not possibly be an oversight... but what could be reason enough to saddle the Banescales with such an egregious inability to affect their surroundings?

Those who share a lair with a Banescale will attest that they usually manage to bend the clan to their will in one way or another when they feel the need. Banescales have a way with words– they are persuasive, eloquent, and vehement speakers, allowing them to convince others to assist them, literally without having to lift a finger. If that doesn't work for their situation, a Banescale can fall back on their breed's other great strength: violence. Any dragon who has fought a Banescale will know they don't need hands to flatten any creature that poses a threat or hinders their progress. Modern Banescales can't always resort to this, of course, but it does help to speed negotiations along when your opponent knows you can beat the snot out of them.

Banescales may have no way to write a letter or forge a weapon, but they can achieve much the same effect through alliances with other dragons who can– using their voices as well as their fangs.
Despite appearing more similar to most dragons than many commonplace breeds, Banescales are seen as an outlier of sorts. This is because they entirely lack hands, or, indeed, any manipulating limbs at all. Their strange four-limbed form could have been attributed to the needs of combat, but this does not explain why they have no talons in locations that would scarcely interfere with their fighting ability; it would have cost their goddess little to grant them extra digits on their wings, or make their feet dextrous enough for forgework.

This decision, to take away the capacity for creation from her children, is particularly strange for the Flamecaller, whose philosophy demands that her followers make their mark on the world. It could not possibly be an oversight... but what could be reason enough to saddle the Banescales with such an egregious inability to affect their surroundings?

Those who share a lair with a Banescale will attest that they usually manage to bend the clan to their will in one way or another when they feel the need. Banescales have a way with words– they are persuasive, eloquent, and vehement speakers, allowing them to convince others to assist them, literally without having to lift a finger. If that doesn't work for their situation, a Banescale can fall back on their breed's other great strength: violence. Any dragon who has fought a Banescale will know they don't need hands to flatten any creature that poses a threat or hinders their progress. Modern Banescales can't always resort to this, of course, but it does help to speed negotiations along when your opponent knows you can beat the snot out of them.

Banescales may have no way to write a letter or forge a weapon, but they can achieve much the same effect through alliances with other dragons who can– using their voices as well as their fangs.
Just 2 Marva headcannons:

1. Marva is the shade which has been gathering info on us by making yearly holiday visits for the sake of jokes and fun and concealing it's malicious intentions while slowly infiltrating us and taking out anyone who will threaten it, which may or may not also be why Tidelord (after all, Wavecrest is in the month of April as well...)

2. Marva is Joxar's long lost/forgotten sibling who's trying to either outshine her brother or be just like him
Just 2 Marva headcannons:

1. Marva is the shade which has been gathering info on us by making yearly holiday visits for the sake of jokes and fun and concealing it's malicious intentions while slowly infiltrating us and taking out anyone who will threaten it, which may or may not also be why Tidelord (after all, Wavecrest is in the month of April as well...)

2. Marva is Joxar's long lost/forgotten sibling who's trying to either outshine her brother or be just like him
77ec1a36661e11a40962b415b0b10b4babdc0c65.png
certain flights have things that they really excel at. I mean different then 'wow look! plague dragons are edgy good at... surviving'! Or 'ho ho! That light dragon sure is smart and well read'! I think that those generic things said on the world map go just a bit deeper.

For example, sure plague dragons are good at not dying, but could also make some of the best doctors/nurses? They have already (probably) caught just about every infection or sickness their deity has thrown their way. With all those anti-bodies just... around them, they could take advantage of that and spread cures to whatever ails another sick dragon.

Or for light dergs, sure they are well read as stuff, but could you imagine what they could achieve if introduced to a knowledgeable arcane dragon!? The world would tremble. New technology, ideas, teachings, sciences, and much more would spring forth faster then you could imagine!

Also can we take a moment to talk about the fire flight? They are advertised as metallurgists and the like, but taking a deeper look? They are probably the most creative flight out there. Not only do they produce just about every material object the rest of Sorneth uses, but imagine if they were given free reign of a forge! Oh the cool and wacky things they could make! The fire flight is literally a whole flight full of creative geniuses with fire immunity (or something?)

(also, I fear what a shadow dragon could do if they had access to the lightning flight's tech)

I really could just keep going with every flight out there, but I think you get the general idea by now ^^
certain flights have things that they really excel at. I mean different then 'wow look! plague dragons are edgy good at... surviving'! Or 'ho ho! That light dragon sure is smart and well read'! I think that those generic things said on the world map go just a bit deeper.

For example, sure plague dragons are good at not dying, but could also make some of the best doctors/nurses? They have already (probably) caught just about every infection or sickness their deity has thrown their way. With all those anti-bodies just... around them, they could take advantage of that and spread cures to whatever ails another sick dragon.

Or for light dergs, sure they are well read as stuff, but could you imagine what they could achieve if introduced to a knowledgeable arcane dragon!? The world would tremble. New technology, ideas, teachings, sciences, and much more would spring forth faster then you could imagine!

Also can we take a moment to talk about the fire flight? They are advertised as metallurgists and the like, but taking a deeper look? They are probably the most creative flight out there. Not only do they produce just about every material object the rest of Sorneth uses, but imagine if they were given free reign of a forge! Oh the cool and wacky things they could make! The fire flight is literally a whole flight full of creative geniuses with fire immunity (or something?)

(also, I fear what a shadow dragon could do if they had access to the lightning flight's tech)

I really could just keep going with every flight out there, but I think you get the general idea by now ^^
SsKM2S5.pngA6YLlF0.pngtDeKDnH.png
favoriting this to add more later

Fae offer themselves as companions to all the dragons who cant perform certain tasks like writing, or using door knobs.

They are the helper fae

Nocturne all, have terrible vision.

Nocturne can also get stuck in feedback loops where if one says jinx you owe me a soda, the other says jinx you owe me a soda, then the other says jinx you owe me a soda and then the ther says jinx you owe me a soda... and so on.
favoriting this to add more later

Fae offer themselves as companions to all the dragons who cant perform certain tasks like writing, or using door knobs.

They are the helper fae

Nocturne all, have terrible vision.

Nocturne can also get stuck in feedback loops where if one says jinx you owe me a soda, the other says jinx you owe me a soda, then the other says jinx you owe me a soda and then the ther says jinx you owe me a soda... and so on.
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
[quote name="Jaius" date="2020-05-31 22:01:30" ] certain flights have things that they really excel at. I mean different then 'wow look! plague dragons are edgy good at... surviving'! Or 'ho ho! That light dragon sure is smart and well read'! I think that those generic things said on the world map go just a bit deeper. For example, sure plague dragons are good at not dying, but could also make some of the best doctors/nurses? They have already (probably) caught just about every infection or sickness their deity has thrown their way. With all those anti-bodies just... around them, they could take advantage of that and spread cures to whatever ails another sick dragon. Or for light dergs, sure they are well read as stuff, but could you imagine what they could achieve if introduced to a knowledgeable arcane dragon!? The world would tremble. New technology, ideas, teachings, sciences, and much more would spring forth faster then you could imagine! Also can we take a moment to talk about the fire flight? They are advertised as metallurgists and the like, but taking a deeper look? They are probably the most creative flight out there. Not only do they produce just about every material object the rest of Sorneth uses, but imagine if they were given free reign of a forge! Oh the cool and wacky things they could make! The fire flight is literally a whole flight full of creative geniuses with fire immunity (or something?) (also, I fear what a shadow dragon could do if they had access to the lightning flight's tech) I really could just keep going with every flight out there, but I think you get the general idea by now ^^ [/quote] ohohoohohhohoho i really like this. i like this a lot. this is good. i didnt even think about this before but now i cant stop and i love it. i'd think that shadow dragons would make great performers. the shadow holiday is described as a [i]circus,[/i] after all. most actors in sorneith would have purple eyes.
Jaius wrote on 2020-05-31 22:01:30:

ohohoohohhohoho i really like this. i like this a lot. this is good. i didnt even think about this before but now i cant stop and i love it.
i'd think that shadow dragons would make great performers. the shadow holiday is described as a circus, after all. most actors in sorneith would have purple eyes.
don’t you worry, we love you more than you know
1 2 3 4 5 6