Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What is holding us back from having BGs?
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="WillowWispFlame" date="2020-04-08 21:05:58" ] Eh, I'm not really into the idea of backgrounds. I'm sure that FR would be able to implement it wonderfully, but honestly I really like the aesthetic of the dragon pages currently. Backgrounds would really clutter it up I think. [/quote] Well the point of everything customisable is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to, just like vistas. You can still have no vista or all basic genese or no apparel on dragons, it's your choice while it gives more customisation to other people who [b]would[/b] like them.
WillowWispFlame wrote on 2020-04-08 21:05:58:
Eh, I'm not really into the idea of backgrounds. I'm sure that FR would be able to implement it wonderfully, but honestly I really like the aesthetic of the dragon pages currently. Backgrounds would really clutter it up I think.

Well the point of everything customisable is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to, just like vistas. You can still have no vista or all basic genese or no apparel on dragons, it's your choice while it gives more customisation to other people who would like them.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Dragon's are gonna live with new 'Landscape' a 'Goldfish' bowl with built in 'Fairy' Lights, across that top 'Portal' to stop any escape. There you go sorted [emoji=coatl happy size=2]
Dragon's are gonna live with new 'Landscape' a 'Goldfish' bowl with built in 'Fairy' Lights, across that top 'Portal' to stop any escape.

There you go sorted
ice_by_darkside_of_wolf-db574ku.png
I really want backgrounds. While we're at it make the flowerfall apparel into environmental category as well, stuff that floats around a dragon.
I really want backgrounds. While we're at it make the flowerfall apparel into environmental category as well, stuff that floats around a dragon.
Netherlands. Server time+9hrs. Do not ping me for raffles/surveys without asking!
tumblr_o8e3azd4Xo1vqfx8oo1_500.gif
wouldn't it give skin/accent artists trouble since they take adventage of white bgs
wouldn't it give skin/accent artists trouble since they take adventage of white bgs
Honestly, I'm not really into the idea of bgs xD I like the focus being on the dragon alone, and that would be harder with a bg.

really hoping the "landscape" hint is the map because we still really need that xD
Honestly, I'm not really into the idea of bgs xD I like the focus being on the dragon alone, and that would be harder with a bg.

really hoping the "landscape" hint is the map because we still really need that xD
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
I really wish they would, except they've kind of shot themselves in the foot by letting accents/skins have white areas to mimic transparency/cutouts/etc. Sure folks with dragons wearing those skins could just not use backgrounds on those dragons, but I don't..think...they'll...go...quietly. XD

But seriously, I've never seen the Neopets backgrounds, but I definitely miss the ones from Gryffs, which were landscapey and really nicely done. (Cutesy houses to decorate would not be my preference at all, but scenes of Sornieth would be neat!) And that hideously pay-to-play game by the same devs as Gryffs...starts with a K? had some really fantastic animated backgrounds as well. There's so many creative options on how it could be implemented, it seems a pity to ignore it.
I really wish they would, except they've kind of shot themselves in the foot by letting accents/skins have white areas to mimic transparency/cutouts/etc. Sure folks with dragons wearing those skins could just not use backgrounds on those dragons, but I don't..think...they'll...go...quietly. XD

But seriously, I've never seen the Neopets backgrounds, but I definitely miss the ones from Gryffs, which were landscapey and really nicely done. (Cutesy houses to decorate would not be my preference at all, but scenes of Sornieth would be neat!) And that hideously pay-to-play game by the same devs as Gryffs...starts with a K? had some really fantastic animated backgrounds as well. There's so many creative options on how it could be implemented, it seems a pity to ignore it.
9o5YF7O.png
oh my GOD Inmagine getting backgrounds during festivals, that would be so cool!
Then when all the festivals are over, they start making more thats not flight themed, that would be so cool!
oh my GOD Inmagine getting backgrounds during festivals, that would be so cool!
Then when all the festivals are over, they start making more thats not flight themed, that would be so cool!
RYAN.png
[quote name="ciceqi" date="2020-04-09 07:14:39" ] I really wish they would, except they've kind of shot themselves in the foot by letting accents/skins have white areas to mimic transparency/cutouts/etc. Sure folks with dragons wearing those skins could just not use backgrounds on those dragons, but I don't..think...they'll...go...quietly. XD But seriously, I've never seen the Neopets backgrounds, but I definitely miss the ones from Gryffs, which were landscapey and really nicely done. (Cutesy houses to decorate would not be my preference at all, but scenes of Sornieth would be neat!) And that hideously pay-to-play game by the same devs as Gryffs...starts with a K? had some really fantastic animated backgrounds as well. There's so many creative options on how it could be implemented, it seems a pity to ignore it. [/quote] I didn't know that Gryffs had another site besides Leayphs. I would be interested to know what it was (not so I can play it, don't like pay to play ones, but just to see). However, I definitely do NOT want animated backgrounds, as I think that would be too resource heavy for players viewing it, and I think be a bit to jarring to have everything static but the background. (and BTW, if you haven't been on in a while, Gryffs has started adding some postcard type items as backdrops instead, so the ycan be layered in front of the gryff! Many nice improvements over there lately) [quote name="dracozolt" date="2020-04-09 01:16:42" ] wouldn't it give skin/accent artists trouble since they take adventage of white bgs [/quote] Personally, while this would be an issue, I don't think it would or should be a concern of the art team. Since I would like these to be pretty much a special class of apparel (so that all dragons, including ancients and babies, could potentially wear them as they wouldn't have to be 'custom fitted' to the dragon), it would be just like a user having such a skin that 'removes' the wings, but still wearing wing apparel. Same thing with themes. If we do get themes (and it sounds like it might be on their agenda at some point!), and those themes change the background color, then those skins will 'be ruined' by anyone using those themes that don't have white backgrounds. So, basically to me, it all comes down to this: the site should not be concerned about how users use skins or whether something they release will interfere with that. (at least if it is an option to use said thing and not something that every player has to deal with whether they like it or not). Users using white areas of skins to mimic missing parts is just that: users using that, not the site, so the site shouldn't need to worry about it. Those users who want to use backgrounds and have skins like that will adapt, especially if we get more environmental stuff such as say a tree branch that covers the top portion of the dragon etc...
ciceqi wrote on 2020-04-09 07:14:39:

I didn't know that Gryffs had another site besides Leayphs. I would be interested to know what it was (not so I can play it, don't like pay to play ones, but just to see).

However, I definitely do NOT want animated backgrounds, as I think that would be too resource heavy for players viewing it, and I think be a bit to jarring to have everything static but the background.

(and BTW, if you haven't been on in a while, Gryffs has started adding some postcard type items as backdrops instead, so the ycan be layered in front of the gryff! Many nice improvements over there lately)
dracozolt wrote on 2020-04-09 01:16:42:
Personally, while this would be an issue, I don't think it would or should be a concern of the art team. Since I would like these to be pretty much a special class of apparel (so that all dragons, including ancients and babies, could potentially wear them as they wouldn't have to be 'custom fitted' to the dragon), it would be just like a user having such a skin that 'removes' the wings, but still wearing wing apparel.

Same thing with themes. If we do get themes (and it sounds like it might be on their agenda at some point!), and those themes change the background color, then those skins will 'be ruined' by anyone using those themes that don't have white backgrounds.

So, basically to me, it all comes down to this: the site should not be concerned about how users use skins or whether something they release will interfere with that. (at least if it is an option to use said thing and not something that every player has to deal with whether they like it or not). Users using white areas of skins to mimic missing parts is just that: users using that, not the site, so the site shouldn't need to worry about it. Those users who want to use backgrounds and have skins like that will adapt, especially if we get more environmental stuff such as say a tree branch that covers the top portion of the dragon etc...

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="WillowWispFlame" date="2020-04-08 21:05:58" ] Eh, I'm not really into the idea of backgrounds. I'm sure that FR would be able to implement it wonderfully, but honestly I really like the aesthetic of the dragon pages currently. Backgrounds would really clutter it up I think. [/quote] This ^ I’m not a fan of apparel like the flowerfalls currently, as they kinda highlight that these dragons are trapped in an invisible square... backgrounds would just make that square visible.
WillowWispFlame wrote on 2020-04-08 21:05:58:
Eh, I'm not really into the idea of backgrounds. I'm sure that FR would be able to implement it wonderfully, but honestly I really like the aesthetic of the dragon pages currently. Backgrounds would really clutter it up I think.
This ^
I’m not a fan of apparel like the flowerfalls currently, as they kinda highlight that these dragons are trapped in an invisible square... backgrounds would just make that square visible.
Accent Shop

Doodle Shop
soudasig_by_eggdis-dbau8f2.png
Could be an aesthetic choice, or it could be that even though technically it might be simple to integrate into the dragon page, they would have to create a whole new item type (assuming they don't just include it it "apparel") and it might take awhile to figure out how that whole system will work (where it will go in the hoard, what the icons will look like, where it can be acquired, how rare it is, how much it costs, etc). And assuming that that does all take awhile, it might just not be a priority for them when they're focusing on other things like new breeds, genes, apparel, map update, and QoL improvements
Could be an aesthetic choice, or it could be that even though technically it might be simple to integrate into the dragon page, they would have to create a whole new item type (assuming they don't just include it it "apparel") and it might take awhile to figure out how that whole system will work (where it will go in the hoard, what the icons will look like, where it can be acquired, how rare it is, how much it costs, etc). And assuming that that does all take awhile, it might just not be a priority for them when they're focusing on other things like new breeds, genes, apparel, map update, and QoL improvements
BFEMrcM.png
1 2 3 4 5 6