Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What are your clan members' jobs?
1 2 3
roles can be chosen in my lair, but the leader's got the final say. so far, everyone's chosen something different, so we're good. overall, though, they're all soldiers, they all hunt/gather/protect, but every dragon's got their own hobby or little job for their down time
roles can be chosen in my lair, but the leader's got the final say. so far, everyone's chosen something different, so we're good. overall, though, they're all soldiers, they all hunt/gather/protect, but every dragon's got their own hobby or little job for their down time
alien IMLOeSD.png they/them eb2KXWV.png server time MOdulLz.png you are loved
Dragons of all sorts reside in my clan, but their jobs are not mandated. There are some who come with a profession already and others come seeking a profession, it all depends on that dragon. We have the hunters/scavengers to gather our food and of course, several food worker dragons who enjoy cooking up meals for the guild.

When you arrive, you aren't required to jump into any certain role. You're welcome to settle in and find your place as you go along. Sometimes you're roped into helping where it's needed; as many dragons are versatile in many different trades. Some just call the guild home and do what they're told when they're told, without a specific profession or talent. Everyone is welcome!
Dragons of all sorts reside in my clan, but their jobs are not mandated. There are some who come with a profession already and others come seeking a profession, it all depends on that dragon. We have the hunters/scavengers to gather our food and of course, several food worker dragons who enjoy cooking up meals for the guild.

When you arrive, you aren't required to jump into any certain role. You're welcome to settle in and find your place as you go along. Sometimes you're roped into helping where it's needed; as many dragons are versatile in many different trades. Some just call the guild home and do what they're told when they're told, without a specific profession or talent. Everyone is welcome!
Cloud - She/Her
5hF3FGk.png
ytkEBod.png
kHBaXec.png
qGabqd5.png
tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif gVI5OAO.pngLGvol4P.png
qJFAY9h.pngjoJXsVi.png
My clan functions as a communal unit. Everyone works for the benefit of everyone else. Think Mormons.

New members are just given assignments based on where help is needed. "Go with the gathering team today. Go help the Blacksmith." etc. They can also offer their help to whoever needs it.

The hope is that by trying a bunch of different jobs, the dragon will find something they are good at or something they enjoy and stick with that as a profession. Some dragons are just stuck with the role that is most needed if they do not make a decision quick enough or try to be lazy or shirk duties.
My clan functions as a communal unit. Everyone works for the benefit of everyone else. Think Mormons.

New members are just given assignments based on where help is needed. "Go with the gathering team today. Go help the Blacksmith." etc. They can also offer their help to whoever needs it.

The hope is that by trying a bunch of different jobs, the dragon will find something they are good at or something they enjoy and stick with that as a profession. Some dragons are just stuck with the role that is most needed if they do not make a decision quick enough or try to be lazy or shirk duties.
Y3kY2LN.png
Everyone does what they like/do best for the most part. Sometimes they’re ‘assigned’ higher titles if they’re really good at it, like a master of sorts. Haven’t really fleshed out who does what for all of them but I’ve got folks who know medicine (both science and magic), folks who can tend nests, a fisherman, advisors to the leader, hunters, and a mystical fantasy funeral director/mortician/coroner. Flight Representatives are political ambassadors/diplomats who excel in the magic of the element they represent.

I’m still in need of things like farmers and cooks though. Much like names, I wait for the dragon to ‘tell me’ what sort of position might suit them. Doesn’t feel right to just assign them stuff willy nilly.
Everyone does what they like/do best for the most part. Sometimes they’re ‘assigned’ higher titles if they’re really good at it, like a master of sorts. Haven’t really fleshed out who does what for all of them but I’ve got folks who know medicine (both science and magic), folks who can tend nests, a fisherman, advisors to the leader, hunters, and a mystical fantasy funeral director/mortician/coroner. Flight Representatives are political ambassadors/diplomats who excel in the magic of the element they represent.

I’m still in need of things like farmers and cooks though. Much like names, I wait for the dragon to ‘tell me’ what sort of position might suit them. Doesn’t feel right to just assign them stuff willy nilly.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
Each one takes up an appropriate profession that matches what they did before they arrived. The librarian keeps track of all the paperwork involved in upkeeping and he monitors mail, outgoing letters, etc. The historian offers musical entertainment and takes the city as a chance to exert his passion. If you have a question about the past, he's bound to know an answer. Th ex-maid is good and cleaning and she loves drawing up plans for the city and painting the City as it develops. The herbalist is able to aid anyone in need of aid or ailments and sees helps with most of the City's income selling spices. Finally, the wax carpenter sells honey and uses the wax to repair his wings or candle to burn or sell. He is very crafty and is responsible for most architectural ideas.
Each one takes up an appropriate profession that matches what they did before they arrived. The librarian keeps track of all the paperwork involved in upkeeping and he monitors mail, outgoing letters, etc. The historian offers musical entertainment and takes the city as a chance to exert his passion. If you have a question about the past, he's bound to know an answer. Th ex-maid is good and cleaning and she loves drawing up plans for the city and painting the City as it develops. The herbalist is able to aid anyone in need of aid or ailments and sees helps with most of the City's income selling spices. Finally, the wax carpenter sells honey and uses the wax to repair his wings or candle to burn or sell. He is very crafty and is responsible for most architectural ideas.
xx Ilios; + she/her.
FR +2. minimalist.

> about me
> wishlist
> art shop
x LihMChV.png
[quote name="VeridisQuo" date="2020-02-06 12:49:52" ] A clan requires farmers, hunters, ect, to stay as a functional society. [/quote] I completely agree which is what I rely on most of the time and it's just so much fun My dragon management (gameplay-wise) consists of assigning any newcomer a profession which is the very base of my character development. No, I do not think that a profession is what makes a person, it's not even important, it's mostly to fill my quota of necessary professions I want to have in my clan to make it realistic and socially sustainable, just like OP said. So, when I give a dragon a profession, it's mostly in the background when it comes to story and character development, but it's sort of like a foundation I can build on, mainly because they've found a place in my clan. For example, Sepa is my alien mummy character who's not an actual mummy but has a physical deformation that causes him to look like one. He's an enthusiastic and very friendly traveller who comes from an extraterrestrial society of higher beings, who came to Earth in search of a more simple life. He used to go around Egypt, helping people out with farming chores, herding, construction work, retrieval, etc, but then got taken to Sornieth by the riftwalking god. [i]He is a corpse transporter.[/i] He helps people transport the bodies to temples and mummies to necropolei. It fits him, doesn't it? But yeah, we, as a clan, recruit people based on their Kau. Ka is the Egyptian word for soul or spirit, and we also use it as a word that refers to a person's qualities, such as kindness, vigour, strength (it comes in many shapes), loyalty, honesty, balance, etc. We have many farmers and people who work in the domestic sector just because many people who we recruited happened to be farmers or similar. A person comes to the oasis based on their values, not based on their status, ethnicity, species, gender, sex, health or similar. They're highly encouraged to do what makes them happy because people who are happy doing what they're doing are also the most productive. When it comes to categorisation, I actually arranged my dragons throughout tabs that are based on that same job categorisation and it makes my life so much easier. I actually finally know where my dragons are when two years ago I was skittering through my lair like [b]HISSSSS [i]WHERE[/i][/b]. The categories are: [LIST] [*][emoji=rhino beetle size=1][b]Deities & royalty[/b] (actual indestructible riftwalker gods; Neb-Ertcher, Am-Heh, Kneph, Aseb and Shehbui, and royalty or just people with lots of funding abilities but some other people of a similar status are in other tabs as well; Nefrit, Maahes, Uatch-Ur, Hebs, Kadesh) [*][emoji=green apple size=1][b]Domestic & food[/b] (this consists of all sorts of people who work around food or domestic jobs such as orchardists, crop growers, date harvesters, cattle herders, sheepherders, chicken farmers, winegrowers, beer brewers, fishers, servants, cleaners, etc) [*][emoji=blacksmith anvil size=1][b]Arts & crafts[/b] (this is for anything that consists of crafting, art and physical field work such as construction; carpenters, jewellers, artisans, ceramists, terracotta bakers, blacksmiths, masons, chariot makers, barrel makers, construction workers, architects, interior decorators, etc) [*][emoji=ancient size=1][b]Ancient workers[/b] (a tab reserved for all workers with sapient or semi-sapient intelligence but no specific crafting intelligence due to the lack of opposable thumbs and secondary pair of arms; any Ancient breed that does not show the same physical properties or capabilities that common breeds show such as having opposable thumbs and hands for crafting, high social, theoretical and theological intelligence, etc, or just creatures who are more of non-civilised nature) [*][emoji=rose size=1][b]Gardening and floristry[/b] (as the title suggests, jobs related to garden tending, floristry, pool tending or irrigation) [*][emoji=peacock feather size=1][b]Exotic[/b] (all sorts of non-conventional and seemingly exotic professions; falconer, birdkeeper, healer, dentist, weaver, embalmer, pathologist, Lapis trader, seashell collector, etc) [*][emoji=hourglass size=1][b]Social[/b] (anything related to anything social like librarian, bathhouse owner, oasis guide, priest...) [*][emoji=treasure chest size=1][b]Financial & organisation[/b] (jobs around finances and organisation such as treasurers, tax collectors, scribes, cartographers, archivists, horologists, etc) [*][emoji=sword and shield size=1][b]Security & law[/b] (divine judges, Medjays, guards) [*][emoji=torch size=1][b]Outlaws & nomads[/b] (bandits, nomads, desert pirates, assassins, rogues, gladiators) [/LIST]
VeridisQuo wrote on 2020-02-06 12:49:52:
A clan requires farmers, hunters, ect, to stay as a functional society.

I completely agree which is what I rely on most of the time and it's just so much fun

My dragon management (gameplay-wise) consists of assigning any newcomer a profession which is the very base of my character development. No, I do not think that a profession is what makes a person, it's not even important, it's mostly to fill my quota of necessary professions I want to have in my clan to make it realistic and socially sustainable, just like OP said.

So, when I give a dragon a profession, it's mostly in the background when it comes to story and character development, but it's sort of like a foundation I can build on, mainly because they've found a place in my clan. For example, Sepa is my alien mummy character who's not an actual mummy but has a physical deformation that causes him to look like one. He's an enthusiastic and very friendly traveller who comes from an extraterrestrial society of higher beings, who came to Earth in search of a more simple life. He used to go around Egypt, helping people out with farming chores, herding, construction work, retrieval, etc, but then got taken to Sornieth by the riftwalking god. He is a corpse transporter. He helps people transport the bodies to temples and mummies to necropolei. It fits him, doesn't it?

But yeah, we, as a clan, recruit people based on their Kau. Ka is the Egyptian word for soul or spirit, and we also use it as a word that refers to a person's qualities, such as kindness, vigour, strength (it comes in many shapes), loyalty, honesty, balance, etc. We have many farmers and people who work in the domestic sector just because many people who we recruited happened to be farmers or similar. A person comes to the oasis based on their values, not based on their status, ethnicity, species, gender, sex, health or similar. They're highly encouraged to do what makes them happy because people who are happy doing what they're doing are also the most productive.

When it comes to categorisation, I actually arranged my dragons throughout tabs that are based on that same job categorisation and it makes my life so much easier. I actually finally know where my dragons are when two years ago I was skittering through my lair like HISSSSS WHERE.

The categories are:
  • Deities & royalty (actual indestructible riftwalker gods; Neb-Ertcher, Am-Heh, Kneph, Aseb and Shehbui, and royalty or just people with lots of funding abilities but some other people of a similar status are in other tabs as well; Nefrit, Maahes, Uatch-Ur, Hebs, Kadesh)
  • Domestic & food (this consists of all sorts of people who work around food or domestic jobs such as orchardists, crop growers, date harvesters, cattle herders, sheepherders, chicken farmers, winegrowers, beer brewers, fishers, servants, cleaners, etc)
  • Arts & crafts (this is for anything that consists of crafting, art and physical field work such as construction; carpenters, jewellers, artisans, ceramists, terracotta bakers, blacksmiths, masons, chariot makers, barrel makers, construction workers, architects, interior decorators, etc)
  • Ancient workers (a tab reserved for all workers with sapient or semi-sapient intelligence but no specific crafting intelligence due to the lack of opposable thumbs and secondary pair of arms; any Ancient breed that does not show the same physical properties or capabilities that common breeds show such as having opposable thumbs and hands for crafting, high social, theoretical and theological intelligence, etc, or just creatures who are more of non-civilised nature)
  • Gardening and floristry (as the title suggests, jobs related to garden tending, floristry, pool tending or irrigation)
  • Exotic (all sorts of non-conventional and seemingly exotic professions; falconer, birdkeeper, healer, dentist, weaver, embalmer, pathologist, Lapis trader, seashell collector, etc)
  • Social (anything related to anything social like librarian, bathhouse owner, oasis guide, priest...)
  • Financial & organisation (jobs around finances and organisation such as treasurers, tax collectors, scribes, cartographers, archivists, horologists, etc)
  • Security & law (divine judges, Medjays, guards)
  • Outlaws & nomads (bandits, nomads, desert pirates, assassins, rogues, gladiators)
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
All the clan members have a role, from farming to guarding to everything necessary for a clan with a forever young subclan to exist without needing to communicate with other clans about 98% of the time
They'd love to go 100% isolation but some mats needed aren't in wind, so it's necessary
All the clan members have a role, from farming to guarding to everything necessary for a clan with a forever young subclan to exist without needing to communicate with other clans about 98% of the time
They'd love to go 100% isolation but some mats needed aren't in wind, so it's necessary
zXxPZyW.pngh9eGKnU.pngSkLRWkr.png
Varies! Mainly scientific things. We got:
- Healers/doctors (Macchiato, Xiyani)
- Engineers (Waiwai, Armona, Pyroclast)
- Guardians/warriors (Snowflake, Dicerbo, Chrysalis)
- The shame cage (Everyone in the Oddities tab)
I think that’s everyone I’ve decided on something for...
Varies! Mainly scientific things. We got:
- Healers/doctors (Macchiato, Xiyani)
- Engineers (Waiwai, Armona, Pyroclast)
- Guardians/warriors (Snowflake, Dicerbo, Chrysalis)
- The shame cage (Everyone in the Oddities tab)
I think that’s everyone I’ve decided on something for...
lJQFrFF.png ww7QpZEh_o.gif hey, i'm savato!
fgKwRJl7_o.gif he/him they/them ae/aer/aers
fgKwRJl7_o.gif FR time +0
fgKwRJl7_o.gif IKTR players: please click here!
me: that very strict police officer that watches your every move
also me: we're going to spin a wheel and whoever gets picked is randomly assigned a job
dragons: ok
me: that very strict police officer that watches your every move
also me: we're going to spin a wheel and whoever gets picked is randomly assigned a job
dragons: ok
he him / usually only log on to do dailys
Everyone chooses what they want to do for the most part.
Everyone chooses what they want to do for the most part.
XriSV9h.gif
1 2 3