Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | (again) Friendly reminder to....
1 2 3
and so the block list grows...
IMG_8704.png
This, I honestly get very discouraged to see when people headcanon a character as something else and then get attacked for it. If someone wants to hc Fionna as cis it's not hurting anybody, why? because Fiona isn't real she can't be "invalidated" she can't get her feelings hurt, as long as they don't invalidate trans people IRL then let them be.

You have to remember, some people just don't agree with LGBT folk because of their religion, maybe they grew up in a very strict household and as such don't have a lot or any exposure to LGBT people. Does it suck? Yes, BUT as long as they themselves aren't going about being hateful bigots and are still decent towards us then show them some decency back. Educate politely if possible, A lot of cishet people are more open-minded then Tumblr would make you believe and they aren't the devil incarnate.

I remember an artist making valentine commissions for dragon pairs people had, but also mentioned they weren't comfortable drawing homosexuals pairings. And of course, people immediately painted them as a raging homophobe rather than just asking why they were uncomfortable about it. Or just not commission from them and find someone else who was willing to draw homosexual couples.

I get it, it sucks, but immediately shrieking and attacking someone for claiming them to be "X-phobic" for politely disagreeing with something isn't really making us look better. It's one of the many reasons why I wish I wasn't LGBT because seeing that type of behavior literally makes me feel embarrassed for being not cis/straight >_>

This, I honestly get very discouraged to see when people headcanon a character as something else and then get attacked for it. If someone wants to hc Fionna as cis it's not hurting anybody, why? because Fiona isn't real she can't be "invalidated" she can't get her feelings hurt, as long as they don't invalidate trans people IRL then let them be.

You have to remember, some people just don't agree with LGBT folk because of their religion, maybe they grew up in a very strict household and as such don't have a lot or any exposure to LGBT people. Does it suck? Yes, BUT as long as they themselves aren't going about being hateful bigots and are still decent towards us then show them some decency back. Educate politely if possible, A lot of cishet people are more open-minded then Tumblr would make you believe and they aren't the devil incarnate.

I remember an artist making valentine commissions for dragon pairs people had, but also mentioned they weren't comfortable drawing homosexuals pairings. And of course, people immediately painted them as a raging homophobe rather than just asking why they were uncomfortable about it. Or just not commission from them and find someone else who was willing to draw homosexual couples.

I get it, it sucks, but immediately shrieking and attacking someone for claiming them to be "X-phobic" for politely disagreeing with something isn't really making us look better. It's one of the many reasons why I wish I wasn't LGBT because seeing that type of behavior literally makes me feel embarrassed for being not cis/straight >_>

DVcXRyP.png
[quote name="Apocalyptichorse" date="2020-01-24 10:24:15" ] You have to remember, some people just don't agree with LGBT folk because of their religion, maybe they grew up in a very strict household and as such don't have a lot or any exposure to LGBT people. Does it suck? Yes, BUT as long as they themselves aren't going about being hateful bigots and are still decent towards us then show them some decency back. Educate politely if possible, A lot of cishet people are more open-minded then Tumblr would make you believe and they aren't the devil incarnate. [/quote] pretty much this. it's okay to not like something or someone as long as you are respectful in your words and actions. everyone has their own level of comfortableness for certain things, and that's okay. ♥
Apocalyptichorse wrote on 2020-01-24 10:24:15:

pretty much this. it's okay to not like something or someone as long as you are respectful in your words and actions. everyone has their own level of comfortableness for certain things, and that's okay.

caught up in static dreams
distorted angels sing
I know what you mean by “if you think Galore is Galore” but I can’t help but think of a conspiracy theory that he’s just like, Joxar in an elaborate costume.

Also, really kinda depressing how many people are just flat out anti lgbt or anti trans. Not just on here, just everywhere :/
I know what you mean by “if you think Galore is Galore” but I can’t help but think of a conspiracy theory that he’s just like, Joxar in an elaborate costume.

Also, really kinda depressing how many people are just flat out anti lgbt or anti trans. Not just on here, just everywhere :/
vlHpjp8.png .
he/him

FR+3:00
. .
checked on swipp, baldwin, or arlo lately?
_ wizardry2.gif
Something I’ve never understood is why people get so bent out of shape over LGBT+ characters, whether they’re canon or just someone’s headcanon. Like... if you don’t have anything constructive to say, why rain on someone else’s parade? It’s the Internet; it’s so easy to just... not say anything.

I’ve never really cared about having canon representation in games/shows I like- a lot of the time, it comes off as tokenism to me and makes me feel worse- but I know it means the world to other people. And that’s great! It makes me happy to see other people happy. (Personally, I’ve always relied more on headcanons than what canon says, haha. I just like to make stuff up with my favorite characters.)

As for headcanons: It’s literally called a headcanon. Some random stranger online saying “I think this character is gay” or “I love the idea of trans [character]!” doesn’t affect anything! It’s a headcanon! It’s basically the same thing as playing with dolls. If you have a different headcanon than someone else, there’s no need to go tell the person that their headcanon is stupid and they need to stop having fun.

TL;DR:It’s Not That Deep.jpg
It’s all harmless; let other people be happy and have fun. There’s no need to be a jerk to someone over pixel dragons or anime characters or anything. :(
Something I’ve never understood is why people get so bent out of shape over LGBT+ characters, whether they’re canon or just someone’s headcanon. Like... if you don’t have anything constructive to say, why rain on someone else’s parade? It’s the Internet; it’s so easy to just... not say anything.

I’ve never really cared about having canon representation in games/shows I like- a lot of the time, it comes off as tokenism to me and makes me feel worse- but I know it means the world to other people. And that’s great! It makes me happy to see other people happy. (Personally, I’ve always relied more on headcanons than what canon says, haha. I just like to make stuff up with my favorite characters.)

As for headcanons: It’s literally called a headcanon. Some random stranger online saying “I think this character is gay” or “I love the idea of trans [character]!” doesn’t affect anything! It’s a headcanon! It’s basically the same thing as playing with dolls. If you have a different headcanon than someone else, there’s no need to go tell the person that their headcanon is stupid and they need to stop having fun.

TL;DR:It’s Not That Deep.jpg
It’s all harmless; let other people be happy and have fun. There’s no need to be a jerk to someone over pixel dragons or anime characters or anything. :(
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote name="Wizardry" date="2020-01-24 10:44:57" ] I know what you mean by “if you think Galore is Galore” but I can’t help but think of a conspiracy theory that he’s just like, Joxar in an elaborate costume. [/quote] I'm curious. How do you think Galore and Joxar interact with each other when festivals roll around? I imagine Joxar being a little bit envious of Galore's [i]massive hoard of goodies![/i]
Wizardry wrote on 2020-01-24 10:44:57:

I'm curious. How do you think Galore and Joxar interact with each other when festivals roll around? I imagine Joxar being a little bit envious of Galore's massive hoard of goodies!
While you're playing Flight Rising, please remember to take care of yourself. You're loved, cherished, and are a human being with dignity and personhood. Also remember that there are many people in need of your love, your talents, your kind words, and your actions. You needn't advertise, but instead, advocate. Do your best to maintain healthy boundaries and to help those who need your help. In the end, love heals all wounds.
[quote name="Wizardry" date="2020-01-24 10:44:57" ] Also, really kinda depressing how many people are just flat out anti lgbt or anti trans. Not just on here, just everywhere :/ [/quote] Yeah i know its super hurtful and it sucks tbh
Wizardry wrote on 2020-01-24 10:44:57:

Yeah i know its super hurtful and it sucks tbh
owleics.gif
@Apocalyptichorse

I'm going to keep this brief, because that's kind of my point here; "Educate politely" is not only ineffective in many cases, it's not always an option for the educator.

To put it plainly, the reason people rarely respond to these statements in good faith is because, in my experience, they're usually made in bad faith. It doesn't matter how many people are willing to change, because a stranger on the internet has no way of telling whether you're misguided, trolling, or just an unrepentant jerk. Is it worth it to personally address every commenter like you can change their lifelong beliefs over tea?

Yes, it's lovely when you can kindly explain your views to someone and change their mind, but it's absolutely not feasible to do this on a regular basis. If you go out of your way to address this issue for a thousand people a day, you're spending your real-world time and energy on a thousand people who are just as likely to respond with harassment or ignore you entirely. For many LGBT+ people, assuming the best just isn't worth it anymore.

I personally struggle with chronic pain & fatigue, weak blood pressure, and I'm fighting off the flu for the third time this month. Would you expect me to sit at my computer for 10 hours a day and calmly explain why being nonbinary doesn't mean I'm fundamentally broken as a human being? I physically can't do that; even if I didn't have anxiety, depression, and ADHD, no one could reasonably ask for that kind of emotional labor unless they were getting paid.

It's also worth noting that (again, in my personal experience), most calm resolutions tend to happen through private discussion. For every argument you read on a forum, there's probably someone out there who cares enough to send their response through a private message to avoid public harassment or humiliation. You have no way of seeing that happen one-on-one. By nature of flamewars, you never see the lurkers sitting quietly and ignoring the mess altogether.

I hope this makes a little more sense to you, or to anyone else reading this. Even as I type this, I have no guarantee that you will see me as anything other than an angry weirdo on the internet.

You sound reasonable enough, but welcome to my thought process after years of my identity being denied, insulted, and threatened by people who would never be changed by anything you or I could say.
@Apocalyptichorse

I'm going to keep this brief, because that's kind of my point here; "Educate politely" is not only ineffective in many cases, it's not always an option for the educator.

To put it plainly, the reason people rarely respond to these statements in good faith is because, in my experience, they're usually made in bad faith. It doesn't matter how many people are willing to change, because a stranger on the internet has no way of telling whether you're misguided, trolling, or just an unrepentant jerk. Is it worth it to personally address every commenter like you can change their lifelong beliefs over tea?

Yes, it's lovely when you can kindly explain your views to someone and change their mind, but it's absolutely not feasible to do this on a regular basis. If you go out of your way to address this issue for a thousand people a day, you're spending your real-world time and energy on a thousand people who are just as likely to respond with harassment or ignore you entirely. For many LGBT+ people, assuming the best just isn't worth it anymore.

I personally struggle with chronic pain & fatigue, weak blood pressure, and I'm fighting off the flu for the third time this month. Would you expect me to sit at my computer for 10 hours a day and calmly explain why being nonbinary doesn't mean I'm fundamentally broken as a human being? I physically can't do that; even if I didn't have anxiety, depression, and ADHD, no one could reasonably ask for that kind of emotional labor unless they were getting paid.

It's also worth noting that (again, in my personal experience), most calm resolutions tend to happen through private discussion. For every argument you read on a forum, there's probably someone out there who cares enough to send their response through a private message to avoid public harassment or humiliation. You have no way of seeing that happen one-on-one. By nature of flamewars, you never see the lurkers sitting quietly and ignoring the mess altogether.

I hope this makes a little more sense to you, or to anyone else reading this. Even as I type this, I have no guarantee that you will see me as anything other than an angry weirdo on the internet.

You sound reasonable enough, but welcome to my thought process after years of my identity being denied, insulted, and threatened by people who would never be changed by anything you or I could say.
XNtD94z.png

-
Robin Nightmares
they/them/theirs | FR Time +0

+[Wasteland Radio Hatchery]+
-
-
feleV0g.png PmVLgRx.png
-
[quote name="alethi" date="2020-01-24 10:22:56" ] and so the block list grows... [/quote] Also, after having to deal with so many rude, transphobic, and gatekeeping comments today, I'd like to request [i]everyone[/i], no matter your opinions on trans people or gender identity, to [i]please[/i] respect others' pronouns and gender identities. Yes an NPC does not have feelings and does not care what you call her, but in my view that's just one step closer to you not respecting actual trans people. Just my two cents on the whole fiasco. I really don't like feeling like I have to prove my own identity to the whole world.
alethi wrote on 2020-01-24 10:22:56:

Also, after having to deal with so many rude, transphobic, and gatekeeping comments today, I'd like to request everyone, no matter your opinions on trans people or gender identity, to please respect others' pronouns and gender identities. Yes an NPC does not have feelings and does not care what you call her, but in my view that's just one step closer to you not respecting actual trans people.

Just my two cents on the whole fiasco.
I really don't like feeling like I have to prove my own identity to the whole world.
jC0MHtC.png zYK7yAB.gif
Jacob
male pronouns pls

interests:
captain harlock, genshin impact,
zelda, space battleship yamato,
star trek, stargate, mlp, lotr
xx CnNBdW0.png
[quote name="boggybuddy" date="2020-01-24 09:55:56" ] I do not intend to be discriminatory in this post.[/quote] So here’s the thing if you have to start anything off like this then that is exactly what you are doing. Saying you don’t intend to do it doesn’t magically mitigate the offense. You either are or you are not. If that is your belief then at least own it.
boggybuddy wrote on 2020-01-24 09:55:56:
I do not intend to be discriminatory in this post.

So here’s the thing if you have to start anything off like this then that is exactly what you are doing. Saying you don’t intend to do it doesn’t magically mitigate the offense. You either are or you are not. If that is your belief then at least own it.
41722454785_8929d42a2e_o.png
1 2 3