Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Who or what are WE as the players?
1 2 3 4
What I mean in the title is: who are we as players, in the FR universe? What are we? Are we the progenitor we chose? Our profile picture dragon? Spiritual guides? I can't seem to find anything about this. On other games similar to FR's nature, your role as the player is usually pretty clear--e.g., you are a human who breeds horses or something. But in Flight Rising, it's never really explicitly stated what we are, unless I'm missing something.

But to say we are the "owner" of these dragons would be quite strange, considering how they are treated as sapient beings within Sornieth. This also makes the Auction House and trading dragons quite strange, but I like to think "buying" a dragon is actually having a dragon switch to your clan, and it's customary to give treasure to their former clan or something.

But.. in that case, what are we?
What I mean in the title is: who are we as players, in the FR universe? What are we? Are we the progenitor we chose? Our profile picture dragon? Spiritual guides? I can't seem to find anything about this. On other games similar to FR's nature, your role as the player is usually pretty clear--e.g., you are a human who breeds horses or something. But in Flight Rising, it's never really explicitly stated what we are, unless I'm missing something.

But to say we are the "owner" of these dragons would be quite strange, considering how they are treated as sapient beings within Sornieth. This also makes the Auction House and trading dragons quite strange, but I like to think "buying" a dragon is actually having a dragon switch to your clan, and it's customary to give treasure to their former clan or something.

But.. in that case, what are we?
Comet
my dragon walked on my keyboard
+1 FR time
god
god
neutralh5.png
Yeah, I don't think there's any ownership going on. I either envision myself as the leader dragon of my clan (whoever that is, I can't into lore), or some omnipotent figure who organizes things on the meta level but doesn't exist in-diagesis. The narrator, or the storywriter. I make things happen, but I don't have any presence in the game itself.
Yeah, I don't think there's any ownership going on. I either envision myself as the leader dragon of my clan (whoever that is, I can't into lore), or some omnipotent figure who organizes things on the meta level but doesn't exist in-diagesis. The narrator, or the storywriter. I make things happen, but I don't have any presence in the game itself.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
I don't think we exist in FR "canon," though some people give themselves a role.

I guess you could consider it like Neopets, where there's user's pets existing in their own sort of space, but actual site canon has no humans or "owned" pets. The Neopets you own talk to you and you can interact with them, and they're sapient, but kind of act like children, so it's still a little muddled... FR cuts out the middle man and has no interaction whatsoever.

Personally, I don't consider myself part of my lore in any way. Not even in some meta sense or something.
I don't think we exist in FR "canon," though some people give themselves a role.

I guess you could consider it like Neopets, where there's user's pets existing in their own sort of space, but actual site canon has no humans or "owned" pets. The Neopets you own talk to you and you can interact with them, and they're sapient, but kind of act like children, so it's still a little muddled... FR cuts out the middle man and has no interaction whatsoever.

Personally, I don't consider myself part of my lore in any way. Not even in some meta sense or something.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
I'm my clan's imaginary friend. Doesn't your clan have an imaginary friend that they don't talk about with other clans.
I'm my clan's imaginary friend. Doesn't your clan have an imaginary friend that they don't talk about with other clans.
qDavPTk.png
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/77#post_12654994]Canon Answer:[/url] [quote][Quote] What are the USERS in the FR world... are they humans...? Or something else...?[/quote] Canonically, users of Flight Rising are acting as an entire lair/family/group of dragons, but we've seen a lot of interesting and creative player lore such as draconic figureheads or councils leading the lair, etc. Feel free to play it however you wish![/quote] You [i]are [/i]the dragons. Unless you wish to see yourself as otherwise.
Canon Answer:
Quote:
Quote:
What are the USERS in the FR world... are they humans...? Or something else...?

Canonically, users of Flight Rising are acting as an entire lair/family/group of dragons, but we've seen a lot of interesting and creative player lore such as draconic figureheads or councils leading the lair, etc. Feel free to play it however you wish!

You are the dragons. Unless you wish to see yourself as otherwise.
466w8yC.png
Via Tzafrir
This dragon is my in-game avatar! [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=55668120] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/556682/55668120_350.png[/img] [/url]
This dragon is my in-game avatar!

55668120_350.png
I don't believe there's anything canonical for that, so it's really up to you. The clan profile page does show "Username's Clan" so it could be argued that you're "intended" to name your custom progen as "Username" and have that be you, but that would be a personal choice. And I kinda want to now. [emoji=pearlcatcher laughing size=1] I do always pick the Pearlcatcher emojis . . . You are who you choose to be to your dragons ultimately. I am the invisible authorial figure, and like the apocrypha goes about the author who was asked which of their characters they'd want to have dinner with, "I don't want to be anywhere near people I put through that much stuff." ETA to add for the posts that went up while I was writing. I like it, I love our devs, I just really like they've planned and thought about things beyond just game mechanics.
I don't believe there's anything canonical for that, so it's really up to you. The clan profile page does show "Username's Clan" so it could be argued that you're "intended" to name your custom progen as "Username" and have that be you, but that would be a personal choice. And I kinda want to now.

I do always pick the Pearlcatcher emojis . . .

You are who you choose to be to your dragons ultimately. I am the invisible authorial figure, and like the apocrypha goes about the author who was asked which of their characters they'd want to have dinner with, "I don't want to be anywhere near people I put through that much stuff."

ETA to add for the posts that went up while I was writing. I like it, I love our devs, I just really like they've planned and thought about things beyond just game mechanics.
Nest Rentals! I offer Fire nests here at 2kt a pair, no lunch boxes needed. Warning that I am a 12-hr shift night worker and might miss a day on incubation here and there. :(
Feel free to ping me anywhere! I try to subscribe to threads I create, but pings are always cool.
I'm this, technically. That's about the only answer I can give considering how much of the official site lore I throw out the window.
I'm this, technically. That's about the only answer I can give considering how much of the official site lore I throw out the window.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
if I had to write lore around myself in the Clan, I'd write myself as a sort of StarClan (from warriors). Actually, something like that might be a good idea in my lore...

anyway, I don't actually think of myself as having a role
if I had to write lore around myself in the Clan, I'd write myself as a sort of StarClan (from warriors). Actually, something like that might be a good idea in my lore...

anyway, I don't actually think of myself as having a role
+2 FR time
he/they
1 2 3 4