Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How Dragons Write
1 2
I was recently rereading a Dinotopia book and had a thought about dragon writing. If you haven’t seen any of the Dinotopia books, they’re awesome; they’re a series of beautifully-illustrated ‘journals’ about a country full of dinosaurs, the art is amazing, and there are a lot of ideas that translate very well to Flight Rising. In this case, i was thinking about the writing system. It looks like this: [img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dinotopia/images/c/ce/Dinotopia_alphabet_new.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140423041413.png[/img] And it’s made like this: [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6t2LbczrDQc/VIVejj59h5I/AAAAAAAAZKY/59nRBdf4ggI/s1600/Dinotopia%2BEpisode%2B5c.jpg[/img] My brain immediately went to WCs and Faes. It is now my firm headcanon that this is an accepted form (not the only one, but an accepted one) of writing for dragons that can go bipedal. So poetry and dancing can be one in the same. I am firmly of the opinion that WCs propose by dancing a poem.
I was recently rereading a Dinotopia book and had a thought about dragon writing.

If you haven’t seen any of the Dinotopia books, they’re awesome; they’re a series of beautifully-illustrated ‘journals’ about a country full of dinosaurs, the art is amazing, and there are a lot of ideas that translate very well to Flight Rising. In this case, i was thinking about the writing system. It looks like this:

latest?cb=20140423041413.png

And it’s made like this:

Dinotopia%2BEpisode%2B5c.jpg

My brain immediately went to WCs and Faes.

It is now my firm headcanon that this is an accepted form (not the only one, but an accepted one) of writing for dragons that can go bipedal.

So poetry and dancing can be one in the same.

I am firmly of the opinion that WCs propose by dancing a poem.
mkpoaHZ.png
THIS IS SO GOOD OP ILY
THIS IS SO GOOD OP ILY
ttGfSL1.png
Yeah. Absolutely. This is a great headcanon - after all, we have some breeds that don't even have flexible toes. Tomo canonically needs a scribe, and Snappers generally don't live with other breeds of dragon. They do like oral history, but I refuse to believe they do no written history. So while there's probably a more traditional script known to breeds like Faes and Coatls and Pearlcatchers, a footprint (and maybe tail-mark) based system of glyphs emerging as a side language is a brilliant and sensible addition to lore.

Also ridgebacks - writing is hard when you have giant, inflexible spurs coming out of the back of your wrists.

Poem (or story! imagine a mobile storyteller - the 'words' are kept short and sweet, but the motions of the arms, neck, tail, and wings tell more detail than a field of those words ever could) dancing is beautiful. :'D It's such a careful art, too. Can never step in the same spot twice. Getting backed into an area you've already fully written out is like getting tongue-tied; you have to step out and start that line over.
Yeah. Absolutely. This is a great headcanon - after all, we have some breeds that don't even have flexible toes. Tomo canonically needs a scribe, and Snappers generally don't live with other breeds of dragon. They do like oral history, but I refuse to believe they do no written history. So while there's probably a more traditional script known to breeds like Faes and Coatls and Pearlcatchers, a footprint (and maybe tail-mark) based system of glyphs emerging as a side language is a brilliant and sensible addition to lore.

Also ridgebacks - writing is hard when you have giant, inflexible spurs coming out of the back of your wrists.

Poem (or story! imagine a mobile storyteller - the 'words' are kept short and sweet, but the motions of the arms, neck, tail, and wings tell more detail than a field of those words ever could) dancing is beautiful. :'D It's such a careful art, too. Can never step in the same spot twice. Getting backed into an area you've already fully written out is like getting tongue-tied; you have to step out and start that line over.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
This reminded me of my mute Link fandragon, and it made me wonder just what he did before he got a sort of translator. Like, just imagine this knight dancing about trying to tell someone there's a Undying Featherback headed straight towards the nursery. He's a Wildclaw, so he's bipedal, and he's got short arms, so I bet a sort of draconic sign language would be tough on him if it included crossing those claws over each other. XD
This reminded me of my mute Link fandragon, and it made me wonder just what he did before he got a sort of translator. Like, just imagine this knight dancing about trying to tell someone there's a Undying Featherback headed straight towards the nursery. He's a Wildclaw, so he's bipedal, and he's got short arms, so I bet a sort of draconic sign language would be tough on him if it included crossing those claws over each other. XD
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
Crim has a pen and inkwell... But sadly her parchment doesn't seem to have anything written on it.... Perhaps it's just for tallies.
Crim has a pen and inkwell... But sadly her parchment doesn't seem to have anything written on it.... Perhaps it's just for tallies.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
tomo does it the best edit: also a spade tailed fae what do you know. i wish this was a thing for us [img]https://flightrising.com/images/layout/trivia/tomo.png[/img]
tomo does it the best
edit: also a spade tailed fae what do you know. i wish this was a thing for us
tomo.png
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
Headcanon 110% accepted and thank you for reminding me of this, this is perfect ;-;

edit: also that message reads "when i was hi..."

What does it mean?!?
Headcanon 110% accepted and thank you for reminding me of this, this is perfect ;-;

What does it mean?!?
38082415sig.png
Kavryn [ Kav-r-y-n ] | » Level 25 Lair Challenge « | » G1 Sales «
[quote name="Kavryn" date="2019-11-21 12:44:47" ] Headcanon 110% accepted and thank you for reminding me of this, this is perfect ;-; edit: also that message reads "when i was hi..." What does it mean?!? [/quote] I have no idea. “When I was hired” comes to mind. Maybe the ornithomimus is recruiting more messengers?
Kavryn wrote on 2019-11-21 12:44:47:

What does it mean?!?
I have no idea. “When I was hired” comes to mind. Maybe the ornithomimus is recruiting more messengers?
mkpoaHZ.png
under this system the arcanist is effectively a living typewriter
under this system the arcanist is effectively a living typewriter
tumblr_osr8u7mjpA1v8lm95o1_r1_100.gif ....
hunting for
old umas!
ZlgMZPR.gif
According to Tomo, there's no written application of coatl.
They just dance
According to Tomo, there's no written application of coatl.
They just dance
1AL8WxD.jpg
1 2