Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | .
1 2
@Foxe
I get very overwhelmed very easily by large number of pings due to MY disability. Now I've taken steps to alleviate this problem myself like taking myself off the general. If someone is ignoring the rules of the sheet to help themselves, they are actively hurting me. So no, I can't just ignore it and move on with my day.

To those who cannot understand the sheet, there are G1 auctioning services where someone experienced can sort through and ping the sheet. Heck, if you are having troubles PM me and I'll sort for you, it takes a small amount of time for me.
@Foxe
I get very overwhelmed very easily by large number of pings due to MY disability. Now I've taken steps to alleviate this problem myself like taking myself off the general. If someone is ignoring the rules of the sheet to help themselves, they are actively hurting me. So no, I can't just ignore it and move on with my day.

To those who cannot understand the sheet, there are G1 auctioning services where someone experienced can sort through and ping the sheet. Heck, if you are having troubles PM me and I'll sort for you, it takes a small amount of time for me.
93fkMbU.png Lljxkv3.gif My username isn't a reference to Borderlands 2, got it from the killer doll episode of The Twilight Zone! SsBvTtd.gif BiBear.png
@Tinytalkingtina
Pruning the lists is not a listed rule. I can link you to the 'how to use the sheet' tutorial if you'd like, where the final mentioned step is '3. Paste it. That's it.' It's optional to prune the sheets, and while I do it when I have time/energy, it's not a necessary step when using the list, and has never been. If it was, it would be included within that tutorial, and people who didn't prune the lists would be asked to do so by the people who run them. However, that's not the case. I'm not going to actively harm myself for the convenience of a small handful of people and probably still miss a bunch of names thanks to my illness, thus not even doing any good in the end.

If your illness is so bad that being pinged can set it off, perhaps you should add yourself to the special restrictions tab only? Otherwise, you'll be pinged for whatever your name is listed under. It's not like I'm pinging the multigaze list for regular dragons, I ping exactly what I'm supposed to be pinging. I'm not saying this to be insensitive, it does genuinely seem like that might be what's best for you if it's that serious.
@Tinytalkingtina
Pruning the lists is not a listed rule. I can link you to the 'how to use the sheet' tutorial if you'd like, where the final mentioned step is '3. Paste it. That's it.' It's optional to prune the sheets, and while I do it when I have time/energy, it's not a necessary step when using the list, and has never been. If it was, it would be included within that tutorial, and people who didn't prune the lists would be asked to do so by the people who run them. However, that's not the case. I'm not going to actively harm myself for the convenience of a small handful of people and probably still miss a bunch of names thanks to my illness, thus not even doing any good in the end.

If your illness is so bad that being pinged can set it off, perhaps you should add yourself to the special restrictions tab only? Otherwise, you'll be pinged for whatever your name is listed under. It's not like I'm pinging the multigaze list for regular dragons, I ping exactly what I'm supposed to be pinging. I'm not saying this to be insensitive, it does genuinely seem like that might be what's best for you if it's that serious.
t00QRwj.png rOVa8hM.png 6260.png
Wishlist
Clan lore
** They/them
+3 FR time
Adopt shop zAddafE.gifGI49w5A.gif
+3 FR time
i don't use the pinglists super frequently but have been using them consistently over the years i've been playing, and personally, it's felt a lot like a chore to ping now and i've been putting off selling gen1s on the forums as as result X_X

i always make sure to check for all those specifications, but it can take me a large chunk of time and gets very tedious and stressful for me. sometimes, too, if some usernames are longer, the complete specifications get cut off (especially when they're longer and/or more specific).

like foxe said, it doesn't explicitly say to check those specifications on the sheet, but has become more of a standard common courtesy. when so many people have so many specifications, it does get pretty tiring...

not to mention requests like "no X trait"; while i understand that it means "all except", would they get mad if i were selling dragons that had both? say, if i had a plague primal gen1 as well as a lightning primal gen1, and they said no plague primal? some of the requests have felt vague or confusing at times for me :(

i don't have a solid suggestion as to how to improve the issue at hand, but just a couple incomplete ideas that aren't necessarily the best course of action. maybe adding new specification columns (say "males only" or "females only")? or are there already too many? what about having a dedicated special restrictions section like in the general tab? would reformatting the spreadsheet entirely be needed at this point?

my only frame of reference is SIDHA's pinglist, in which we've sub divided the categories based on general dragon type and method of sale, with a sole tab dedicated to special restrictions; while we have less inherent categories, it feels a little more streamlined to use, at least in my experience (and i'm not sure if it's the formatting or the less categories)

it seems like the frustration exists on both ends, though. perhaps being more understanding and patient on both ends (both pingers and those pinged) is all we can really ask for given the current set up?

also i see in one of your previous posts that you don't think people ping the flight pinglists; i can only speak for myself, but i always make sure to ping the flight pinglists when selling. if anything i've noticed there are far less people on those pinglists, so it's possible some people skip them because they assume those users are on other lists as well?

i'm a little hesitant to express my opinion on your experience in particular, but maybe it would help? i apologize in advance if what i say is bothersome, but i want to clarify that it's not my intent. i also don't actually have myself on the gen1 hoarders pinglist, so i don't share the experience

but that being said, i think my opinion is that getting upset over a few extra or accidental pings feels unfair or even demanding. there are hundreds of people posting themselves in several categories each with their own specific preferences. not only have people voiced that the pinglist has become user-unfriendly and a chore to go through (if not stressful or difficult due to disability), but they're the ones that are taking the active effort to go through set up all the sales posts and set up/sort through all those pinglists, if not multiple (say a special ID gen1 or a gen1 oldie), while those on the pinglist are passively waiting for pings. i suppose if people don't like getting so many extra pings, pinglists themselves aren't suited for them, and instead taking more time to actively search for the dragons they want would be more ideal. i know pinglists are meant to be a convenience for both sellers and buyers, but right now it seems like far less a convenience and more a hassle for sellers while remaining the same convenience for buyers. again, i don't mean to offend with this, but encourage a discussion and broaden perspective

as an addendum, this doesn't apply to people who intentionally use the wrong lists, but more about those who struggle to get through it all or don't understand how to use the lists properly

i do wish there were a better and more immediate solution to this, rather than just addressing individual user behavior :( i wish i had better suggestions... also i'm sorry that this got so long skdjghsd
i don't use the pinglists super frequently but have been using them consistently over the years i've been playing, and personally, it's felt a lot like a chore to ping now and i've been putting off selling gen1s on the forums as as result X_X

i always make sure to check for all those specifications, but it can take me a large chunk of time and gets very tedious and stressful for me. sometimes, too, if some usernames are longer, the complete specifications get cut off (especially when they're longer and/or more specific).

like foxe said, it doesn't explicitly say to check those specifications on the sheet, but has become more of a standard common courtesy. when so many people have so many specifications, it does get pretty tiring...

not to mention requests like "no X trait"; while i understand that it means "all except", would they get mad if i were selling dragons that had both? say, if i had a plague primal gen1 as well as a lightning primal gen1, and they said no plague primal? some of the requests have felt vague or confusing at times for me :(

i don't have a solid suggestion as to how to improve the issue at hand, but just a couple incomplete ideas that aren't necessarily the best course of action. maybe adding new specification columns (say "males only" or "females only")? or are there already too many? what about having a dedicated special restrictions section like in the general tab? would reformatting the spreadsheet entirely be needed at this point?

my only frame of reference is SIDHA's pinglist, in which we've sub divided the categories based on general dragon type and method of sale, with a sole tab dedicated to special restrictions; while we have less inherent categories, it feels a little more streamlined to use, at least in my experience (and i'm not sure if it's the formatting or the less categories)

it seems like the frustration exists on both ends, though. perhaps being more understanding and patient on both ends (both pingers and those pinged) is all we can really ask for given the current set up?

also i see in one of your previous posts that you don't think people ping the flight pinglists; i can only speak for myself, but i always make sure to ping the flight pinglists when selling. if anything i've noticed there are far less people on those pinglists, so it's possible some people skip them because they assume those users are on other lists as well?

i'm a little hesitant to express my opinion on your experience in particular, but maybe it would help? i apologize in advance if what i say is bothersome, but i want to clarify that it's not my intent. i also don't actually have myself on the gen1 hoarders pinglist, so i don't share the experience

but that being said, i think my opinion is that getting upset over a few extra or accidental pings feels unfair or even demanding. there are hundreds of people posting themselves in several categories each with their own specific preferences. not only have people voiced that the pinglist has become user-unfriendly and a chore to go through (if not stressful or difficult due to disability), but they're the ones that are taking the active effort to go through set up all the sales posts and set up/sort through all those pinglists, if not multiple (say a special ID gen1 or a gen1 oldie), while those on the pinglist are passively waiting for pings. i suppose if people don't like getting so many extra pings, pinglists themselves aren't suited for them, and instead taking more time to actively search for the dragons they want would be more ideal. i know pinglists are meant to be a convenience for both sellers and buyers, but right now it seems like far less a convenience and more a hassle for sellers while remaining the same convenience for buyers. again, i don't mean to offend with this, but encourage a discussion and broaden perspective

as an addendum, this doesn't apply to people who intentionally use the wrong lists, but more about those who struggle to get through it all or don't understand how to use the lists properly

i do wish there were a better and more immediate solution to this, rather than just addressing individual user behavior :( i wish i had better suggestions... also i'm sorry that this got so long skdjghsd
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
[quote name="Petros" date="2019-09-07 22:08:14" ] I think they’re talking about people not filtering out people who add things like “(males only)” like how they’re supposed to. They can get to specifics like neutral colors, but they cant specify that they only want females or males unless they add it into the column and highlight it. Some people don’t look and filter these out. [/quote] I agree that the list is a nightmare, and took me like 30 minutes to get the courage to actually send the pings because I was worried I'd do it wrong and get angry messages (not even mentioning the time it took to go through and remove people for specifications/multi pings)... It is just very hard to keep complete track of it all, no disability on my part even added to that. And that's after only having used it like twice- I can't even imagine trying to ping for mass hatch sales or auctions... The sheet desperately needs a total overhaul... Something that's cleaner like the skin/accent list would be so nice...
Petros wrote on 2019-09-07 22:08:14:
I think they’re talking about people not filtering out people who add things like “(males only)” like how they’re supposed to. They can get to specifics like neutral colors, but they cant specify that they only want females or males unless they add it into the column and highlight it. Some people don’t look and filter these out.

I agree that the list is a nightmare, and took me like 30 minutes to get the courage to actually send the pings because I was worried I'd do it wrong and get angry messages (not even mentioning the time it took to go through and remove people for specifications/multi pings)... It is just very hard to keep complete track of it all, no disability on my part even added to that. And that's after only having used it like twice- I can't even imagine trying to ping for mass hatch sales or auctions...

The sheet desperately needs a total overhaul... Something that's cleaner like the skin/accent list would be so nice...
29370123p.png172210p.pnghd_onoff.giftumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo2_75sq.pngtumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo1_75sq.png
[quote name="RosaDiaz" date="2019-09-07 22:01:10" ] Literally never put your name on general. Just stick it on the specific lists. Went from 100+ pings a day to like...eight. [/quote] [quote name="RosaDiaz" date="2019-09-07 22:01:10" ] 100+ pings a day [/quote] strong custom skin vibes
RosaDiaz wrote on 2019-09-07 22:01:10:
Literally never put your name on general. Just stick it on the specific lists. Went from 100+ pings a day to like...eight.
RosaDiaz wrote on 2019-09-07 22:01:10:
100+ pings a day

strong custom skin vibes
- order
[quote name="jennycatmystique" date="2019-09-09 09:32:26" ] [quote name="Petros" date="2019-09-07 22:08:14" ] I think they’re talking about people not filtering out people who add things like “(males only)” like how they’re supposed to. They can get to specifics like neutral colors, but they cant specify that they only want females or males unless they add it into the column and highlight it. Some people don’t look and filter these out. [/quote] I agree that the list is a nightmare, and took me like 30 minutes to get the courage to actually send the pings because I was worried I'd do it wrong and get angry messages (not even mentioning the time it took to go through and remove people for specifications/multi pings)... It is just very hard to keep complete track of it all, no disability on my part even added to that. And that's after only having used it like twice- I can't even imagine trying to ping for mass hatch sales or auctions... The sheet desperately needs a total overhaul... Something that's cleaner like the skin/accent list would be so nice... [/quote] This right here I think is where the crux of the issue is. Specifications are fine and dandy, and people's preferences should be kept in mind but there's a point where you're basically asking somebody to do your search refining for you. Remember, the pinglists are a convenience for BOTH SIDES. They're a convenience for the sellers so that they can better reach an audience who'll hopefully be more interested in buying their dragons than the general playerbase but it's ALSO a convenience for buyers so that they don't have to sift through the entirety of Dragon Sales/Auctions for G1s they want to buy. And if the convenience of using or being on the pinglist is being outweighed by the stress entailed with using or being on them then what's the point of the pinglist? Yes, surely, the pinglists need updates (probably divy-ing everything by male/female alone would remove some issues) but I think everybody also just needs to like...be more a little more understanding? If somebody is obviously using the pinglists wrong, and by that I mean repeatedly pinging everyone or all the wrong people on purpose then that's one thing. But just as OP is asking G1 sellers to be considerate of G1 buyers' alerts and preferences, I think it's equally fair to ask that G1 buyers treat every mis-ping as an honest mistake and not get snippy with the seller. Just ignore it and move on. If somebody's doing it repeatedly, then perhaps it merits a (nice) comment of "Hey, just a heads up, you've been pinging so-and-so when you should be pinging so-and-so instead". Best case scenario, you've helped somebody reach the audience they actually wanted to sell their dragon to alongside reducing mis-pings by one. Worst case scenario, you've encountered somebody who doesn't care and you are free to then block them so they won't bother you anymore. But please remember that the seller is also doing you a courtesy by alerting you to a dragon that (supposedly) fits your search specifications. It's as close as we're going to get to automated Auction House/Dragon Search alerts for the time being. Just keep in mind that it's run by players who are human and make mistakes, not a computer auto-generating spammy alerts. ^^
jennycatmystique wrote on 2019-09-09 09:32:26:
Petros wrote on 2019-09-07 22:08:14:
I think they’re talking about people not filtering out people who add things like “(males only)” like how they’re supposed to. They can get to specifics like neutral colors, but they cant specify that they only want females or males unless they add it into the column and highlight it. Some people don’t look and filter these out.

I agree that the list is a nightmare, and took me like 30 minutes to get the courage to actually send the pings because I was worried I'd do it wrong and get angry messages (not even mentioning the time it took to go through and remove people for specifications/multi pings)... It is just very hard to keep complete track of it all, no disability on my part even added to that. And that's after only having used it like twice- I can't even imagine trying to ping for mass hatch sales or auctions...

The sheet desperately needs a total overhaul... Something that's cleaner like the skin/accent list would be so nice...

This right here I think is where the crux of the issue is.

Specifications are fine and dandy, and people's preferences should be kept in mind but there's a point where you're basically asking somebody to do your search refining for you.

Remember, the pinglists are a convenience for BOTH SIDES. They're a convenience for the sellers so that they can better reach an audience who'll hopefully be more interested in buying their dragons than the general playerbase but it's ALSO a convenience for buyers so that they don't have to sift through the entirety of Dragon Sales/Auctions for G1s they want to buy.

And if the convenience of using or being on the pinglist is being outweighed by the stress entailed with using or being on them then what's the point of the pinglist?

Yes, surely, the pinglists need updates (probably divy-ing everything by male/female alone would remove some issues) but I think everybody also just needs to like...be more a little more understanding?

If somebody is obviously using the pinglists wrong, and by that I mean repeatedly pinging everyone or all the wrong people on purpose then that's one thing.

But just as OP is asking G1 sellers to be considerate of G1 buyers' alerts and preferences, I think it's equally fair to ask that G1 buyers treat every mis-ping as an honest mistake and not get snippy with the seller. Just ignore it and move on.

If somebody's doing it repeatedly, then perhaps it merits a (nice) comment of "Hey, just a heads up, you've been pinging so-and-so when you should be pinging so-and-so instead". Best case scenario, you've helped somebody reach the audience they actually wanted to sell their dragon to alongside reducing mis-pings by one. Worst case scenario, you've encountered somebody who doesn't care and you are free to then block them so they won't bother you anymore.

But please remember that the seller is also doing you a courtesy by alerting you to a dragon that (supposedly) fits your search specifications. It's as close as we're going to get to automated Auction House/Dragon Search alerts for the time being.

Just keep in mind that it's run by players who are human and make mistakes, not a computer auto-generating spammy alerts. ^^
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
Everytime I've tried to use that ping list - no matter how careful I've been - I get chewed out by at least one person who didn't want to get that specific ping even though I didn't do anything wrong. I've just stopped using it. It's not worth it.
Everytime I've tried to use that ping list - no matter how careful I've been - I get chewed out by at least one person who didn't want to get that specific ping even though I didn't do anything wrong. I've just stopped using it. It's not worth it.
[quote name="Alphazi" date="2019-09-09 09:21:31" ] i don't use the pinglists super frequently but have been using them consistently over the years i've been playing, and personally, it's felt a lot like a chore to ping now and i've been putting off selling gen1s on the forums as as result X_X [/quote] Saaaaaame. That list is scary. I honestly think I under-ping when I do use it, reaching very few people, because my pinglist is tiny compared to other lists I see pasted.
Alphazi wrote on 2019-09-09 09:21:31:
Saaaaaame. That list is scary. I honestly think I under-ping when I do use it, reaching very few people, because my pinglist is tiny compared to other lists I see pasted.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
1 2