Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Headcanon Collection Thread
1 2
Place your favorite headcanons here for others to see and maybe even adopt themselves! I'll start.

Coatls and Faes simply cannot understand the speech of one another, so instead of working hard to learn each other's languages, most of them are brought up learning a form of sign language as well as draconic and their original tongues.

The Coliseum is a huge building in which fighters sign up for different venues based on their strength. Then there is a portal that transports them to all the different places in Sornieth to fight.

Bogsneaks are the smartest breed, but they refuse to share their knowledge because they prefer isolation.

Those are just some of mine.
Place your favorite headcanons here for others to see and maybe even adopt themselves! I'll start.

Coatls and Faes simply cannot understand the speech of one another, so instead of working hard to learn each other's languages, most of them are brought up learning a form of sign language as well as draconic and their original tongues.

The Coliseum is a huge building in which fighters sign up for different venues based on their strength. Then there is a portal that transports them to all the different places in Sornieth to fight.

Bogsneaks are the smartest breed, but they refuse to share their knowledge because they prefer isolation.

Those are just some of mine.
[quote name="Cay" date="2018-03-10 07:04:50" ] ----- most of them are brought up learning a form of sign language as well as draconic and their original tongues. [/quote] Oh! I like this one! I might use it for one of my dragons. -- Faes have tiny dagger-like fangs, similar to fruit bats. Most use them to scrap at bark, or crunch away at those super-tough bugs. Others, come with a [i]bite[/i]. -- When breed changed, most dragons still remember aspects of their species personality and life-style before. For example, a changed Guardian will no longer feel the call, but have phantom feelings of it, which they don't have to follow. Breed-changing is helpful for a Guardian who has lost their charge, and seems lost. For changed coatls, the new breed would be able to speak, but prefers silence, grunts, and body-language, as using the new tongue feels too odd. -- Skydancers are vain creatures, so it is a great honor when they give one of their feathers out. Mates tend to gift them to each other, but there are many reasons that a Skydancer might give out a feather. -- Pearlcatcher's will start to lose "themselves" if they are separated from their pearls. Memories will disappear, personalities will dull, etc. etc. However! It's not uncommon for a Pearlcatcher to gift their pearl to another, if they deeply trust the other dragon. No long-term damage is done, as long as the Pearlcatcher often visits the pearl. -- For me, the Coliseum, acts like a map, for the Monster Battles. The dragons will go there to check what area they would like to visit, and then travel to the areas, which are located all over. For Rated Battles, that is all held there in the Coliseum. Most clan are noble, and refuse to face another clan who is weaker than them, as fighting in the Coliseum is a great honor.
Cay wrote on 2018-03-10 07:04:50:

most of them are brought up learning a form of sign language as well as draconic and their original tongues.

Oh! I like this one! I might use it for one of my dragons.

-- Faes have tiny dagger-like fangs, similar to fruit bats. Most use them to scrap at bark, or crunch away at those super-tough bugs. Others, come with a bite.

-- When breed changed, most dragons still remember aspects of their species personality and life-style before. For example, a changed Guardian will no longer feel the call, but have phantom feelings of it, which they don't have to follow. Breed-changing is helpful for a Guardian who has lost their charge, and seems lost.
For changed coatls, the new breed would be able to speak, but prefers silence, grunts, and body-language, as using the new tongue feels too odd.

-- Skydancers are vain creatures, so it is a great honor when they give one of their feathers out. Mates tend to gift them to each other, but there are many reasons that a Skydancer might give out a feather.

-- Pearlcatcher's will start to lose "themselves" if they are separated from their pearls. Memories will disappear, personalities will dull, etc. etc. However! It's not uncommon for a Pearlcatcher to gift their pearl to another, if they deeply trust the other dragon. No long-term damage is done, as long as the Pearlcatcher often visits the pearl.

-- For me, the Coliseum, acts like a map, for the Monster Battles. The dragons will go there to check what area they would like to visit, and then travel to the areas, which are located all over.
For Rated Battles, that is all held there in the Coliseum. Most clan are noble, and refuse to face another clan who is weaker than them, as fighting in the Coliseum is a great honor.
Even if the throne crumbles and the shiny crown turns to rust. Even if the bodies pile up endlessly, beside you, I will be. Until I hear the words, "Check Mate."
Ooh, fun thread.

-> If a Pearlcatcher’s pearl is destroyed, they’ll get some sort of dimentia - a loss of memory, difficulties with language, etc. and they’ll probably eventually go insane. However, with the proper medical attention, a Pearlcatcher could theoretically live without a pearl.

-> Faes will often smash insects with hard shells on sharp rocks in order to eat them - kinda like a few species of birds.

-> Icedad has an Emperor frozen somewhere in the Fortress of Ends.

-> The Auction House is this huge building with multiple floors and sections where dragons can set up their own stand to sell things.

-> Buying dragons from the Auction House is similar to hiring someone for your company - only instead of regular salaries, you just pay them once. And apparently there’s child labor.

-> Every dragon that enters the coliseum has some sort of stone tablet they receive. In this stone tablet is where all of the various stones go.

-> Nature dragons will farm various kinds of animals for their dung, which they then use as fertilizer for their gardens.

-> The Twisting Crescendo will sometimes pick up an iceberg or two from the Southern Icefield. This is both unfortunate for the Ice flight (the poor clan that was living on that!) as well as the Wind flight (someone probably got hit..).

-> The Shadow flight has currently got housing problems due to its high population.

And that’s all I got for now.
Ooh, fun thread.

-> If a Pearlcatcher’s pearl is destroyed, they’ll get some sort of dimentia - a loss of memory, difficulties with language, etc. and they’ll probably eventually go insane. However, with the proper medical attention, a Pearlcatcher could theoretically live without a pearl.

-> Faes will often smash insects with hard shells on sharp rocks in order to eat them - kinda like a few species of birds.

-> Icedad has an Emperor frozen somewhere in the Fortress of Ends.

-> The Auction House is this huge building with multiple floors and sections where dragons can set up their own stand to sell things.

-> Buying dragons from the Auction House is similar to hiring someone for your company - only instead of regular salaries, you just pay them once. And apparently there’s child labor.

-> Every dragon that enters the coliseum has some sort of stone tablet they receive. In this stone tablet is where all of the various stones go.

-> Nature dragons will farm various kinds of animals for their dung, which they then use as fertilizer for their gardens.

-> The Twisting Crescendo will sometimes pick up an iceberg or two from the Southern Icefield. This is both unfortunate for the Ice flight (the poor clan that was living on that!) as well as the Wind flight (someone probably got hit..).

-> The Shadow flight has currently got housing problems due to its high population.

And that’s all I got for now.
60bawEH.png hiya thar, it's me, an absolute trashbag
?jKX9k=party.png
pokefarm
My favorite headcanon is that dragons decorate their lair and personal spaces with items from the Material & Other section. It just cheers me up to think about little pohip planters giving life to the lair, or a Fluted Conch being on display (what even is the plural of conch?). I like to think those items add to a lair's personality and all around feel :D
My favorite headcanon is that dragons decorate their lair and personal spaces with items from the Material & Other section. It just cheers me up to think about little pohip planters giving life to the lair, or a Fluted Conch being on display (what even is the plural of conch?). I like to think those items add to a lair's personality and all around feel :D
One headcanon of mine is that the dragon running the Higher or Lower game is from the Shadow Flight, which is why his game is based on luck and/or chance rather than skill. Also, the reason why he gives so little coins, why you have 25 turns rather than just five or something similar, and why the wait time is so short is because he wants you to come back. It gets lonely, sitting by a tree stump with nothing but cards.
One headcanon of mine is that the dragon running the Higher or Lower game is from the Shadow Flight, which is why his game is based on luck and/or chance rather than skill. Also, the reason why he gives so little coins, why you have 25 turns rather than just five or something similar, and why the wait time is so short is because he wants you to come back. It gets lonely, sitting by a tree stump with nothing but cards.
[quote name="rluie" date="2018-03-10 07:58:36" ] -> Nature dragons will farm various kinds of animals for their dung, which they then use as fertilizer for their gardens. [/quote] As a nature clan, I'm gonna have to disagree with that one! I prefer gardens being grown through Nature magic! My clan does, however, use the remnants of their kills as fertilizer. -- The auction house exists more as it does in-game, than it does canonically. I envision it as an enormous open-air market. Dragons and familiars can be sold, either voluntarily or by force. Hatchlings may be left there by uncaring parents without knowing why, almost guaranteed to be bought by clans for a quick payout of exalt money. Being exalted isn't seen as the highest honor to everyone. A common insult to those working under their diety is that they were exalted for being so ugly their clan didn't want them (a play on how we typically call ugly dragons "exalt fodder"). Eggs require magic of their own element to hatch. A shadow egg may be hatched in nature provided 2 shadow dragons provide the hatching magic and build a shadow nest for it. The dragons given incredibly low weights by the site may have a myriad of things wrong with them, from a very low internal reserve of magic, to damage done by their elements opposite magic (ex. a nature dragon grievously wounded by plague magic). These dragons may struggle to incubate/hatch eggs. Faes have insectivore teeth like a moles. [img]https://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/30/flashcards/162030/jpg/eastern_mole-thumb400.jpg[/img] While dragons still hunt/forage, they also farm to provide enough food for their clans. My clan keeps a large heard of mini-wallabies in a shelterd valley for a reliable meat source.
rluie wrote on 2018-03-10 07:58:36:

As a nature clan, I'm gonna have to disagree with that one! I prefer gardens being grown through Nature magic! My clan does, however, use the remnants of their kills as fertilizer.

--

The auction house exists more as it does in-game, than it does canonically. I envision it as an enormous open-air market. Dragons and familiars can be sold, either voluntarily or by force. Hatchlings may be left there by uncaring parents without knowing why, almost guaranteed to be bought by clans for a quick payout of exalt money.

Being exalted isn't seen as the highest honor to everyone. A common insult to those working under their diety is that they were exalted for being so ugly their clan didn't want them (a play on how we typically call ugly dragons "exalt fodder").

Eggs require magic of their own element to hatch. A shadow egg may be hatched in nature provided 2 shadow dragons provide the hatching magic and build a shadow nest for it.

The dragons given incredibly low weights by the site may have a myriad of things wrong with them, from a very low internal reserve of magic, to damage done by their elements opposite magic (ex. a nature dragon grievously wounded by plague magic). These dragons may struggle to incubate/hatch eggs.

Faes have insectivore teeth like a moles.
eastern_mole-thumb400.jpg

While dragons still hunt/forage, they also farm to provide enough food for their clans. My clan keeps a large heard of mini-wallabies in a shelterd valley for a reliable meat source.
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
--Wildclaws and Coatl both have retractable teeth like a snake [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/67b910fe3bc126b0e9c9c37db841566b/tumblr_inline_nhimbrP7hd1s8zbfz.gif[/img]
--Wildclaws and Coatl both have retractable teeth like a snake

tumblr_inline_nhimbrP7hd1s8zbfz.gif
d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
— The reason why Crim asks for eggs is because she wants children, but can't have any herself. She hatches the (very few) eggs she's given and raises the hatchlings as her own. She also collects everything else she can, because she's afraid that she'll lack of resources to properly care for the hatchlings. Because of this, her lair is crowded and her brother, Pinkerton, is forced to give out some of her junk to other clans.
— The reason why Crim asks for eggs is because she wants children, but can't have any herself. She hatches the (very few) eggs she's given and raises the hatchlings as her own. She also collects everything else she can, because she's afraid that she'll lack of resources to properly care for the hatchlings. Because of this, her lair is crowded and her brother, Pinkerton, is forced to give out some of her junk to other clans.
Screen_Shot_2018-07-13_at_12.50.14_AM.png
[quote name="Banished" date="2018-03-11 09:02:54" ] — The reason why Crim asks for eggs is because she wants children, but can't have any herself. She hatches the (very few) eggs she's given and raises the hatchlings as her own. She also collects everything else she can, because she's afraid that she'll lack of resources to properly care for the hatchlings. Because of this, her lair is crowded and her brother, Pinkerton, is forced to give out some of her junk to other clans. [/quote] Going off of that, perhaps Joxar is one of the children she raised?
Banished wrote on 2018-03-11 09:02:54:
Going off of that, perhaps Joxar is one of the children she raised?
yo i have a .txt full of those
breed headcanons:
bogsneaks are pretty much flightless but still better at flying than snappers
they can have fins incredibly similar to the wing or fin shape of one of their non-bog parents. for example someone with a wc parent might have fins similar to wc wings. this stuff is more likely than general breed hybrids.

coatl vocalization is all done with their mouth closed so they definitely look kinda weird speaking regular draconic. and they also end up forgetting to actually open their mouths when needed when doing so.

female faes do have longer necks than males

some guardians dont care about having charges

mirrors don't have pupils nor nostrils nor eyelids, their eyes are kinda like insect eyes but not compound
mirrors can process very rotten meat with no issues
their heads except the lower jaw are covered in a horn-like material, probably protecting the brain better? it renders them particularly unexpressive

ridgebacks catch fish with snoot and thumb claws
male ridges do snoot fights for various reasons

spirals are pretty much cats, very flexible pupil size, they run like cats but walk slowly, also their pupil enlarges a lot when they're about to pounce on something, and they have great night vision
spirals also have a nictitating membrane like cats
spiral mating dances involve complex symmetrical dances arouund each other, almost knotting themselves but never actually doing so (unless they heck up)
spirals much prefer flying but stretch out fully when walking and look silly when doing that
spirals can grab stuff with their back feet

tundras fluff up when theyre scared so they will appear to be larger than they really are

wildclaws aren't great at flight, however theyre great at jumping and running

breed hybrids are possible, a single derg can be lots of breeds at once
they can occur from parents being different breeds or hybrids themselves, and they can also occur from breedchanges
it depends from dragon to dragon how much does the breedchange scroll affect them
the traits they get arent always appearances, it also affects personality or might not affect it at all
breed hybrids aren't actually common

gene headcanons:
after using the scroll, changes to the pattern of the derg occur slowly over the days, with the original pattern slowly fading and the new one appearing
as for the skin for something like crystal, it just changes slowly with no pain

the liquid in capsule can depend on the derg, it can be many different things
they can also change the liquid through a long magic process
or it can change depending on the derg itself, like what their job is, personality, etc

other headcanons:
joxar has nostrils for some reason

noodledad is a cloudcuckoolander
deities dont need to flap their wings to fly, they can just float with magic, earthshaker and gladekeeper prefer to not do this though

exalted hatchlings are trained by adult exalts who are good at this

beastclans each have different languages, as well as a single universal language to communicate with each other
yo i have a .txt full of those
breed headcanons:
bogsneaks are pretty much flightless but still better at flying than snappers
they can have fins incredibly similar to the wing or fin shape of one of their non-bog parents. for example someone with a wc parent might have fins similar to wc wings. this stuff is more likely than general breed hybrids.

coatl vocalization is all done with their mouth closed so they definitely look kinda weird speaking regular draconic. and they also end up forgetting to actually open their mouths when needed when doing so.

female faes do have longer necks than males

some guardians dont care about having charges

mirrors don't have pupils nor nostrils nor eyelids, their eyes are kinda like insect eyes but not compound
mirrors can process very rotten meat with no issues
their heads except the lower jaw are covered in a horn-like material, probably protecting the brain better? it renders them particularly unexpressive

ridgebacks catch fish with snoot and thumb claws
male ridges do snoot fights for various reasons

spirals are pretty much cats, very flexible pupil size, they run like cats but walk slowly, also their pupil enlarges a lot when they're about to pounce on something, and they have great night vision
spirals also have a nictitating membrane like cats
spiral mating dances involve complex symmetrical dances arouund each other, almost knotting themselves but never actually doing so (unless they heck up)
spirals much prefer flying but stretch out fully when walking and look silly when doing that
spirals can grab stuff with their back feet

tundras fluff up when theyre scared so they will appear to be larger than they really are

wildclaws aren't great at flight, however theyre great at jumping and running

breed hybrids are possible, a single derg can be lots of breeds at once
they can occur from parents being different breeds or hybrids themselves, and they can also occur from breedchanges
it depends from dragon to dragon how much does the breedchange scroll affect them
the traits they get arent always appearances, it also affects personality or might not affect it at all
breed hybrids aren't actually common

gene headcanons:
after using the scroll, changes to the pattern of the derg occur slowly over the days, with the original pattern slowly fading and the new one appearing
as for the skin for something like crystal, it just changes slowly with no pain

the liquid in capsule can depend on the derg, it can be many different things
they can also change the liquid through a long magic process
or it can change depending on the derg itself, like what their job is, personality, etc

other headcanons:
joxar has nostrils for some reason

noodledad is a cloudcuckoolander
deities dont need to flap their wings to fly, they can just float with magic, earthshaker and gladekeeper prefer to not do this though

exalted hatchlings are trained by adult exalts who are good at this

beastclans each have different languages, as well as a single universal language to communicate with each other
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
1 2