Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How do you name your dragons?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Names are usually inspired by what the dragon looks like.

I also look on Behind the Name to pick names with specific meanings.

My Fire/Fire/Whitish dragons are named after rivers because I'm aiming for one particular dragon who will represent my chestnut horse, Shenandoah. So close....

I gave my custom progen the name I had as a Camp Fire Girl...but I accidentally made him a him instead of a her. :3

I pick names from the Fantasy Name Generator (not the one on FR) for fodder. But I like the suburban names idea used by @Eternally. That would be even easier.
Names are usually inspired by what the dragon looks like.

I also look on Behind the Name to pick names with specific meanings.

My Fire/Fire/Whitish dragons are named after rivers because I'm aiming for one particular dragon who will represent my chestnut horse, Shenandoah. So close....

I gave my custom progen the name I had as a Camp Fire Girl...but I accidentally made him a him instead of a her. :3

I pick names from the Fantasy Name Generator (not the one on FR) for fodder. But I like the suburban names idea used by @Eternally. That would be even easier.
MlmX2Dr.pngfrqaMSP.gifIYKLZV7.gif
I use Omniglot To help me name some of my newer dragons. XP Right now, I'm naming them after colors from different languages. :3
I use Omniglot To help me name some of my newer dragons. XP Right now, I'm naming them after colors from different languages. :3
wispfire_fiendcat.png
I usually look at the dragon and try to figure out which name sounds right for them. Exceptions are dragons based on characters, obviously.
I usually look at the dragon and try to figure out which name sounds right for them. Exceptions are dragons based on characters, obviously.
..............QPMqEIe.png DtSukjn.png
ED7Ocw5.png
Wwl9tUS.png
btj5Ikk.png
I usually compare their color to a thing or name I have seen, then kinda let the thoughts flow until the words on the screen doesnt look too stupid.
I usually compare their color to a thing or name I have seen, then kinda let the thoughts flow until the words on the screen doesnt look too stupid.
IfCmPpP.png
i'm really bad at naming things,,,i'm an artist and i do creative writing in my spare time...i make a lot of characters yet they go without names for a long time. its like "yikes, i cant even name the main character of this universe/story."

its the same for dragons. i'm also notoriously bad at making personalities and stories for them lmao.
i'm really bad at naming things,,,i'm an artist and i do creative writing in my spare time...i make a lot of characters yet they go without names for a long time. its like "yikes, i cant even name the main character of this universe/story."

its the same for dragons. i'm also notoriously bad at making personalities and stories for them lmao.
My clan mostly has Celtic names, mainly Irish and Welsh, generally giving off the classic "Medieval high fantasy" vibe. But there are exceptions, where the dragon was named when I got them or I used the random generator instead of looking things up, or where they reminded me of something else first (for example I've got a dragon named Shiranui after the optical phenomenon, and a few French or Greek names around where they seemed to fit the aesthetic better)... I don't really have a set theme, honestly. Sometimes I try to make their names match their personalities/lore but just as often the names just sounded nice and the lore came later.
My clan mostly has Celtic names, mainly Irish and Welsh, generally giving off the classic "Medieval high fantasy" vibe. But there are exceptions, where the dragon was named when I got them or I used the random generator instead of looking things up, or where they reminded me of something else first (for example I've got a dragon named Shiranui after the optical phenomenon, and a few French or Greek names around where they seemed to fit the aesthetic better)... I don't really have a set theme, honestly. Sometimes I try to make their names match their personalities/lore but just as often the names just sounded nice and the lore came later.
I leave my dragons unnamed until a sibling or friend gets annoyed and names them for me. That's how I end up with dragon names like Frogger and Ramen. :P
I leave my dragons unnamed until a sibling or friend gets annoyed and names them for me. That's how I end up with dragon names like Frogger and Ramen. :P
Obscure and archaic words! c:
Obscure and archaic words! c:
LzILRa0.png?1.png 1MpQTqG.png?1.png
Just depends really.
I have a couple of dragons (One of which is the child of the first pair of dergs that I bred when I moved to Water) and I called them Chasm and Abyss because they looked like one of those Underwater trenches.
I've named one pair Katabatic and Catabatiques because I was reading my Geography textbook when I bought the first and the other I couldn't think of a name for so I just did the French version of the first one's name because I was studying for a French test at the time.
Just depends really.
I have a couple of dragons (One of which is the child of the first pair of dergs that I bred when I moved to Water) and I called them Chasm and Abyss because they looked like one of those Underwater trenches.
I've named one pair Katabatic and Catabatiques because I was reading my Geography textbook when I bought the first and the other I couldn't think of a name for so I just did the French version of the first one's name because I was studying for a French test at the time.
GAji9p1.png
Some come to my lair named so I don't change it (unless it's something really awful and unfitting). Others... well, I stare at them. Stare some more. Then more. And then something just clicks and I have it :3
Some come to my lair named so I don't change it (unless it's something really awful and unfitting). Others... well, I stare at them. Stare some more. Then more. And then something just clicks and I have it :3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8