Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Weekly Q&A [Closed]
1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 753 754
Is there currently a system that lets the devs track site lag and downtime? Recently, server blips (where the site freezes for a minute or two, typically near a 15 minute tick) are a daily occurrence. There are also occassions during the week where the site dies for half an hour or more, like yesterday.

Not asking for an immediate fix, since that's complicated, but I'm curious how much of the site activity the devs are aware of - is there a record? Thanks. :)
Is there currently a system that lets the devs track site lag and downtime? Recently, server blips (where the site freezes for a minute or two, typically near a 15 minute tick) are a daily occurrence. There are also occassions during the week where the site dies for half an hour or more, like yesterday.

Not asking for an immediate fix, since that's complicated, but I'm curious how much of the site activity the devs are aware of - is there a record? Thanks. :)
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
What would happen if a deity dragon was crossroaded into another lair?

Are deity dragons able to nest with other dragons?

If so, what sort of hatchlings would they have?
What would happen if a deity dragon was crossroaded into another lair?

Are deity dragons able to nest with other dragons?

If so, what sort of hatchlings would they have?
25tXhar.png fL0umpy.png
why did it take so long to make glimmer if its just under bellie with sparkles
why did it take so long to make glimmer if its just under bellie with sparkles
jhDZb.gif yvRwk.gif
Hi folks! We're locking the thread again early due to the volume of questions asked. We're humbled by your enthusiasm and passion for Flight Rising; as much as we'd like to keep the thread open, we're closing it early in order to ensure all questions are fully reviewed by the team. Thank you!
Hi folks! We're locking the thread again early due to the volume of questions asked. We're humbled by your enthusiasm and passion for Flight Rising; as much as we'd like to keep the thread open, we're closing it early in order to ensure all questions are fully reviewed by the team. Thank you!
[quote]Will the coliseum rewrite include fixes to various known glitches in it (such as the first turn being skipped, the thing where using an eliminate reduces your breath to 85 in the next battle, etc), or will those be looked at after the rewrite?[/quote] We will cover as many bug fixes as possible (depending on severity) when converting the [b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/coliseum]Coliseum[/url][/b] over. [br][br] [quote]When dragons cast spells, do the bolts come from their mouths? Or do they come from their talons? Same for the elemental slash attacks?[/quote] It depends on the dragon breed and it depends on the type of bolt. For gameplay reasons, our secondary meter is called Breath because one of the fantastical tenets of most dragons is that they breathe something as a means of attack and self-defense. But it's just as likely that earth dragons act much more like geomancers in that they can rip up chunks of granite and stone and hurl them with magical force at their foes. [br][br] [quote]Is the Beastclan symbol the Neutral circle we see in the coli? And/Or if the Beastclans weren't at war with dragons. Would the elements the monsters and enemies have be which dragon god they'd be affiliated with?[/quote] The neutral symbol is a circle to allow it to easily be distinguished against other elements. It is not the Beastclan crest; just an element (or in this case, non-element) indicator. You can see the Beastclan runic crest on the [b][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/dominance]Dominance[/url][/b] page. [br][br] [quote]What are the USERS in the FR world... are they humans...? Or something else...?[/quote] Canonically, users of [i]Flight Rising[/i] are acting as an entire lair/family/group of dragons, but we've seen a lot of interesting and creative player lore such as draconic figureheads or councils leading the lair, etc. Feel free to play it however you wish! [br][br] [quote]HOW HAVE THE ADMINS BEEN DOING?![/quote] We're doin' good! There's a lot in the pipeline and always stuff going on, especially during the site rewrite. But we've got a lot of fun things cookin' and we have a great time working on [i]Flight Rising[/i]. [br][br] [quote]How exactly is Coatl pronounced?[/quote] CO - ah - TUHL. [br][br] [quote]About how big are the elemental sprites and soldiers, compared to the average fae?[/quote] To the average Fae the Sprites would be pretty close in size, whereas the Soldiers would be fairly gigantic in comparison. [br][br] [quote]When a dragon is scrolled to or from a Pearlcatcher, what happens to the pearl? Is it just spawned if they're going from, say, a Fae into a PC? Or does it disappear if they're going from a PC to a Fae?[/quote] The pearl would stick around. It's no longer biologically part of the dragon and thus magical scrolls wouldn't affect it. While the pearl may still be around, it would no longer be able to be grown any further as only Pearlcatchers can add to a pearl. [br][br] [quote]Is "Sornieth" the planet or the continent?[/quote] Sornieth is the name of the planet. The continent as a whole does not have a given name because to the dragon clans, it IS the world. [br][br] [quote]Can you give an estimate on the height of the Pillar of the World?[/quote] The Pillar is immense; the top nearly brushed the inner atmosphere of the planet. [br][br] [quote]I've noticed a lot of people consider male and female coatls to be sexually dimorphic, since in the official art male coatl neck feathers point upward, and female coatl neck feathers point down. I've always seen it as an artistic design choice, with coatls having neck feather that can be raised or lowered, much like a bird's crest. Which is correct according to official lore?[/quote] All Coatl have control over their feathers and can raise or lower their crest at will. They can also flatten or puff up their chest feathers, resulting in some rather ridiculous looking Coatl! [br][br] [quote]What are the BeastClans exactly? I've never seen a true description of what they actually are. Rogue dragons of all breeds? Who leads them?[/quote] You can learn more about the Beastclans in our [i][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=55]Beastclans on the Rise[/url][/i] Encyclopedia article. [br][br] [quote]What is Tomo? Apparently she is not actually a Snapper, given that you just said the lore articles are literal truth, and they state that all Snappers have perfect recall? Is she a Nocturne in disguise? Some kind of construct?[/quote] Tomo has vast stores of knowledge, even for a Snapper. She has so much knowledge, that it can be difficult to recall in a timely manner! The dragons who visit her can help jog her memory and get her the answers quicker. That's why even if you get the answers to her questions wrong, she eventually remembers the correct answer and tells you that you were incorrect! It simply takes her a while, which is why she appreciates the assistance! [br][br] [quote]I have some questions about applying to be on the art team-- I know it probably won't happen any time soon since new artists were recently brought on board, but I'm curious about some things. 1. What kinds of examples does staff look for/expect when applying? Is original work preferred, even if your lineart style doesn't match FR's? Or do they look at/accept image edits or mockups of "fake" new genes? Skin/accent concepts? Recolors and such? What are some qualities you guys look for?[/quote] It is fine to submit a portfolio that is your general portfolio showing the range of what you are capable of. We look for a solid drawing ability and knowledge of Photoshop or programs like it. A style match is not needed for an application, though the ability to follow our style guide and file setup will be a required ability if hired. [br][br] [quote]2. Do you have designated positions for artists? I.E do you have artists who specifically draw/come up with genes, artists that just color in items from a base template (like skin templates or the floracat/buttersnake submissions, for example) or is a FR artist expected to do a bit of everything? Like... If I wanted to apply JUST to make genes and help recolor genes for all of the dragon art, would that be acceptable?[/quote] Most of our artists work on multiple types of game assets to keep things interesting and enjoyable for them. That's not to say that we wouldn't hire someone for just one type of game asset, but being able and willing to do more than one type of project is certainly a plus. [br][br] [quote]3. Do the artists actually come up with genes and design-work or is that up to the admins/staff?[/quote] We like to encourage collaboration and creativity for all members of our art team. If an awesome idea comes along while one of our artists is working, we love when they share that concept with us! [br][br] [quote]in the golem workshop, who actually created the factory/workshop that has all the robots/coliseum opponents? Like who founded the golem workshop, or made it?[/quote] The Workshop was founded by an industrious Lightning clan, then abandoned when it became too difficult to control. It began to operate again seemingly on its own, with Golems producing more Golems. It is likely that the workshop was activated by Luna Mith seeking to make lightning-powered armor. These Mith did not grasp the full scope of what restoring power to the factory would entail. [br][br] [quote]If one changes a dragon already on a nest via gene or breed change scroll, will the hatchlings have a chance to be born with the new traits or will they keep the traits the parents had at the time they were put on the nest?[/quote] A nesting dragon cannot have its breed or genes changed. Tending a nest requires immense dedication. [br][br]
Quote:
Will the coliseum rewrite include fixes to various known glitches in it (such as the first turn being skipped, the thing where using an eliminate reduces your breath to 85 in the next battle, etc), or will those be looked at after the rewrite?

We will cover as many bug fixes as possible (depending on severity) when converting the Coliseum over.

Quote:
When dragons cast spells, do the bolts come from their mouths? Or do they come from their talons? Same for the elemental slash attacks?

It depends on the dragon breed and it depends on the type of bolt. For gameplay reasons, our secondary meter is called Breath because one of the fantastical tenets of most dragons is that they breathe something as a means of attack and self-defense. But it's just as likely that earth dragons act much more like geomancers in that they can rip up chunks of granite and stone and hurl them with magical force at their foes.

Quote:
Is the Beastclan symbol the Neutral circle we see in the coli? And/Or if the Beastclans weren't at war with dragons. Would the elements the monsters and enemies have be which dragon god they'd be affiliated with?

The neutral symbol is a circle to allow it to easily be distinguished against other elements. It is not the Beastclan crest; just an element (or in this case, non-element) indicator. You can see the Beastclan runic crest on the Dominance page.

Quote:
What are the USERS in the FR world... are they humans...? Or something else...?

Canonically, users of Flight Rising are acting as an entire lair/family/group of dragons, but we've seen a lot of interesting and creative player lore such as draconic figureheads or councils leading the lair, etc. Feel free to play it however you wish!

Quote:
HOW HAVE THE ADMINS BEEN DOING?!

We're doin' good! There's a lot in the pipeline and always stuff going on, especially during the site rewrite. But we've got a lot of fun things cookin' and we have a great time working on Flight Rising.

Quote:
How exactly is Coatl pronounced?

CO - ah - TUHL.

Quote:
About how big are the elemental sprites and soldiers, compared to the average fae?

To the average Fae the Sprites would be pretty close in size, whereas the Soldiers would be fairly gigantic in comparison.

Quote:
When a dragon is scrolled to or from a Pearlcatcher, what happens to the pearl? Is it just spawned if they're going from, say, a Fae into a PC? Or does it disappear if they're going from a PC to a Fae?

The pearl would stick around. It's no longer biologically part of the dragon and thus magical scrolls wouldn't affect it. While the pearl may still be around, it would no longer be able to be grown any further as only Pearlcatchers can add to a pearl.

Quote:
Is "Sornieth" the planet or the continent?

Sornieth is the name of the planet. The continent as a whole does not have a given name because to the dragon clans, it IS the world.

Quote:
Can you give an estimate on the height of the Pillar of the World?

The Pillar is immense; the top nearly brushed the inner atmosphere of the planet.

Quote:
I've noticed a lot of people consider male and female coatls to be sexually dimorphic, since in the official art male coatl neck feathers point upward, and female coatl neck feathers point down. I've always seen it as an artistic design choice, with coatls having neck feather that can be raised or lowered, much like a bird's crest. Which is correct according to official lore?

All Coatl have control over their feathers and can raise or lower their crest at will. They can also flatten or puff up their chest feathers, resulting in some rather ridiculous looking Coatl!

Quote:
What are the BeastClans exactly? I've never seen a true description of what they actually are. Rogue dragons of all breeds? Who leads them?

You can learn more about the Beastclans in our Beastclans on the Rise Encyclopedia article.

Quote:
What is Tomo? Apparently she is not actually a Snapper, given that you just said the lore articles are literal truth, and they state that all Snappers have perfect recall? Is she a Nocturne in disguise? Some kind of construct?

Tomo has vast stores of knowledge, even for a Snapper. She has so much knowledge, that it can be difficult to recall in a timely manner! The dragons who visit her can help jog her memory and get her the answers quicker. That's why even if you get the answers to her questions wrong, she eventually remembers the correct answer and tells you that you were incorrect! It simply takes her a while, which is why she appreciates the assistance!

Quote:
I have some questions about applying to be on the art team-- I know it probably won't happen any time soon since new artists were recently brought on board, but I'm curious about some things.

1. What kinds of examples does staff look for/expect when applying?
Is original work preferred, even if your lineart style doesn't match FR's? Or do they look at/accept image edits or mockups of "fake" new genes? Skin/accent concepts? Recolors and such? What are some qualities you guys look for?

It is fine to submit a portfolio that is your general portfolio showing the range of what you are capable of. We look for a solid drawing ability and knowledge of Photoshop or programs like it.

A style match is not needed for an application, though the ability to follow our style guide and file setup will be a required ability if hired.

Quote:
2. Do you have designated positions for artists?
I.E do you have artists who specifically draw/come up with genes, artists that just color in items from a base template (like skin templates or the floracat/buttersnake submissions, for example) or is a FR artist expected to do a bit of everything? Like... If I wanted to apply JUST to make genes and help recolor genes for all of the dragon art, would that be acceptable?

Most of our artists work on multiple types of game assets to keep things interesting and enjoyable for them. That's not to say that we wouldn't hire someone for just one type of game asset, but being able and willing to do more than one type of project is certainly a plus.

Quote:
3. Do the artists actually come up with genes and design-work or is that up to the admins/staff?

We like to encourage collaboration and creativity for all members of our art team. If an awesome idea comes along while one of our artists is working, we love when they share that concept with us!

Quote:
in the golem workshop, who actually created the factory/workshop that has all the robots/coliseum opponents? Like who founded the golem workshop, or made it?

The Workshop was founded by an industrious Lightning clan, then abandoned when it became too difficult to control. It began to operate again seemingly on its own, with Golems producing more Golems. It is likely that the workshop was activated by Luna Mith seeking to make lightning-powered armor. These Mith did not grasp the full scope of what restoring power to the factory would entail.

Quote:
If one changes a dragon already on a nest via gene or breed change scroll, will the hatchlings have a chance to be born with the new traits or will they keep the traits the parents had at the time they were put on the nest?

A nesting dragon cannot have its breed or genes changed. Tending a nest requires immense dedication.

The golem workshop question and answer is just perfect for my clan lore. I just love all the lore questions.

Do some dragons every honor two or more deities or is honoring more then 1 deity looked down upon?

Do deities ever visit other deities or the lands of the other deities? I can see them doing it when trying to invade or take over but do they ever just go there to check it out in a non invasive manner?
The golem workshop question and answer is just perfect for my clan lore. I just love all the lore questions.

Do some dragons every honor two or more deities or is honoring more then 1 deity looked down upon?

Do deities ever visit other deities or the lands of the other deities? I can see them doing it when trying to invade or take over but do they ever just go there to check it out in a non invasive manner?
What is the most common, regardless if they are a starter breed, if Dragon breed? How many are there?
What is the most common, regardless if they are a starter breed, if Dragon breed? How many are there?
T3TuubO.png
Are there plans to add more Achievements in the future? Like adding achievements for breeding dragons with genes that do not have achievements yet.
Are there plans to add more Achievements in the future? Like adding achievements for breeding dragons with genes that do not have achievements yet.
nBoOPgD.png tumblr_inline_oslbliqNaT1rxa3gl_400.png
When a dragon changes their gene, how does it even change, lore wise? Like if you went from underbelly to circuit, how does it change? Do they paint themselves or see some wizard?

Also, is there a set release date for Artifacture, the fairground game?
When a dragon changes their gene, how does it even change, lore wise? Like if you went from underbelly to circuit, how does it change? Do they paint themselves or see some wizard?

Also, is there a set release date for Artifacture, the fairground game?
4wPbTeZ.jpgSyCN2na.pngaM4Qu0f.gifOFrfPUV.pngSN6WNSw.png
Say an Emperor is raised. How might this situation be handled?
Say an Emperor is raised. How might this situation be handled?
lik2pA1X.jpg
1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 753 754