Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | [Graveyard Gaolers] In Development WIP
1 2
This subspecies is called Graveyard Gaolers. This is just an informal subspecies thread to gather my thoughts and ask for input before I officially register them as a Plague Subspecies. Thank you @/Strangeflesh for listening to me and suggesting certain ideas. I specifically need help in selecting colors and genes, developing powers/abilities for the subspecies, and developing their lore/political structure. I also need advice in formatting a potential proper subspecies thread. The two that started it all: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60677615][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/606777/60677615_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60197319][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/601974/60197319_350.png[/img][/url] [quote=Graveyard Gaoler Lore]As we all know, The Plaguebringer loathes the undead. Despite, or perhaps because of this, millions of plaguelings practice necromancy. What is a god to do? Well, if you’re The Filthy One, you corrupt the newly-migrating Gaolers and adapt them until they’re perfect for withstanding the Wasteland and keeping pesky necromancers at bay. When threats and pestilence don’t work, a hulking dragon modeled after the terrifying Graveyard Guardian of old just might do the trick. Most Graveyard Gaolers interpret The Plaguebringer’s disdain for Emperors as extending to all undead, and seek to cull, contain, and prevent more undead from being formed. They take their job very seriously, and many genuinely believe that the existence of the undead is a blight upon the world. [/quote]
This subspecies is called Graveyard Gaolers.

This is just an informal subspecies thread to gather my thoughts and ask for input before I officially register them as a Plague Subspecies. Thank you @/Strangeflesh for listening to me and suggesting certain ideas.

I specifically need help in selecting colors and genes, developing powers/abilities for the subspecies, and developing their lore/political structure. I also need advice in formatting a potential proper subspecies thread.

The two that started it all:

60677615_350.png
60197319_350.png
Graveyard Gaoler Lore wrote:
As we all know, The Plaguebringer loathes the undead. Despite, or perhaps because of this, millions of plaguelings practice necromancy. What is a god to do? Well, if you’re The Filthy One, you corrupt the newly-migrating Gaolers and adapt them until they’re perfect for withstanding the Wasteland and keeping pesky necromancers at bay. When threats and pestilence don’t work, a hulking dragon modeled after the terrifying Graveyard Guardian of old just might do the trick.

Most Graveyard Gaolers interpret The Plaguebringer’s disdain for Emperors as extending to all undead, and seek to cull, contain, and prevent more undead from being formed. They take their job very seriously, and many genuinely believe that the existence of the undead is a blight upon the world.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
SWAMP BIOME PLAGUE 4 LYFE, BABEY!!!
Ooo, what’s the big idea behind them? Anything yet?
s037-d01-Saronai.png608803-CD-5-BDC-4-DE3-AED4-F46-DA50-A4843.png
[quote name="CultOfTheSky" date="2021-07-24 14:32:08" ] Ooo, what’s the big idea behind them? Anything yet? [/quote] @CultOfTheSky Be patient, for I have many amazing big ideas for them, and I shall be posting them now! Thank you for your interest.
CultOfTheSky wrote on 2021-07-24 14:32:08:
@CultOfTheSky Be patient, for I have many amazing big ideas for them, and I shall be posting them now! Thank you for your interest.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
[center][size=60][b]LORE DUMP!!![/b][/size][/center] [size=1]*rips off shirt to reveal undershirt with pictures of GraveGaols on it*[/size] [quote=More Lore]Alright, they’re called Graveyard Gaolers, and they’re basically the Plaguebringer’s attempt to stop necromancers from bringing the dead back. They’re based off Graveyard Guardians, and they’re basically medium-huge Gaolers with short tails, short faces, and generally bear-like proportions. Double XXY Black or Obsidian GGs are called Grims or Black Bears and long-tailed GGs are called Callistos. The color range I’m thinking for them is Coal-Eldritch Primaries and Secondaries, and their Tertiary color range is Maize-White. I’m thinking of expanding their secondary range to certain shades of brown or orange to get an autumny range, or even black-range primary and secondaries + brown-orange Stained to better match the familiar. For now, their acceptable tertiaries are Shardflank, Scorpion, and Ghost for white range tertiaries. I’m still working on what Primaries and Secondaries should be allowed, but so far I’ve got Basic/Basic, Phantom/Spirit, Falcon/Peregrine, Shaggy/Streak, Tapir/Striation, and Wasp/Bee. They mostly guard graveyards, mortuaries, ossuaries, crypts, morgues, ruins, sites of historical battlefields to prevent any necromantic shenanigans. They are mostly solitary or live in family groups (often one family will guard a cemetery for generations), but are highly sought after for Plague’s Exalt Services for their dutiful personalities, loyalty, and strength, as well as the fact that many GGs are administrative geniuses, despite most of the subspecies being semiliterate. They are most common in Plague, Earth, Light, and Shadow, but can be found anywhere with an undead problem. More than a few have died tragic deaths trying to take down Luminax. . Many GGs are loyal to their family and graveyard first, then the Plaguebringer, then the Flight they were raised in, causing conflicts. In addition, there are two schools of GG thought. 1. Undead are unpleasant at best, but non-malicious undead should be contained, not killed. 2. Undead are a blight on the earth and should all be culled. Combine this with many GGs’ penchant for arguing, and you have a very interesting yearly meeting at the Hellwell Undercroft. There’s a yearly GG convention where they talk shop and discuss tactics and Plagueling theology. In lore, many GGs have a white V-shaped chest marking. They also commonly wear armor (spiked collars are a favorite) to protect against undead bites while working. They would totally wear Spikescarves if they could.[/quote] [quote=Even More Lore]Something else GGs like in addition to spiky collars: pelts (especially bear pelts), bones, etc. is lanterns! They make useful soul containers and look pretty, and GGs sometime wear one around their neck. They also like bells, and many wear bells braided into their fur, on their spiked collars, or on their antlers. It is believed that bells and lanterns can either contain the spirits of the dead to prevent them from reentering their bodies, or banish evil spirits and the undead. Also, if all else fails, GGs can digest rotting flesh or even bone. Most of their meat content comes from scavenging. If you can’t beat ‘em, eat ‘em.[/quote] [quote=Even More More Lore]Also I have two GraveGaol ideas: 1. They can be bribed with honey (they are bears after all). 2. There are apostate GraveGaols who choose to reject hunting the undead.[/quote] @/Strangeflesh suggested that they make corpse puns. So now they are known for morbidly goofy one-liners, as well as beary punny death-and-bear related puns. [quote=Corpse Capers]Also, GraveGaols will sometimes engage in graverobbing themselves if they feel a tomb is threatened by necromancers. A GraveGaol was actually arrested by the Dragonhome Preservation Guild for eating the contents of a canopic jar and part of a mummy so they couldn’t be used in a ritual. [/quote] [quote=Eye lore and bullying]I’m not sure yet, but Primals often get punted to higher echelons and spiritual/leadership roles because it’s believed they have a special connection to Plaguemom and she likes them. Also, especially hungry, self-important, or unscrupulous GraveGaols will sometimes bully other dragons off of their kills and eat it in front of them because they believe their divine mission is so important they are entitled to the food needed to complete it. They’ll also confiscate unburied corpses if they believe there’s a high risk of necromancer activity. Can make planning funerals in the Scarred Wasteland a little dicey. The Plaguebringer only tolerates this because she thinks the chaos and outrage is hilarious. GraveGaols can also sometimes be pallbearers/mourners/priests presiding over the funerals of important dragons in the Scarred Wasteland and other areas.[/quote] [quote=Characterization]Most of them are normal, mostly-good dragons, and the species is known for being just and polite in general-it’s just that some individuals take the whole DIVINE WILL OF THE PLAGUEMOTHER, HER CRUSHING CLAW, TO CULL AND CONTAIN ALL UNDEAD thing too far, to the point of forgetting other dragons are people too. My general rule is that when GGs are jerks, it’s always well intentioned, and they’re at least a little bit funny about it.[/quote] [quote=Nibbles]Also, deer will nibble on bones and even eat small mammals and baby birds if they're low on calcium. It's not out of the question GGs would do that too. A good portion of a GGs' diet, in addition to meat from carrion and hunting, is roots, tubers, and other plant material that grows in their graveyards or around it.[/quote] [quote=Sharp and Glorious Thorns]Also, I’ve decide GGs with Shardflank, Gnarlhorns, or Scorpion will sometimes impale smaller undead on their spines like shrikes do, for transport back to the graveyard. Is it practical? No. Is it heavy metal? Yes. [/quote] [quote=Bear-Shrikes]Imagine a huge GG with Shardflank + spiked armor, collar, and tail guard…and they’re just covered in writhing undead corpses. They’re getting bitten or nipped but they don’t even show it. [/quote] [quote=Stuck Together]You know how fighting deer will sometimes end up carrying the decapitated head of a dead opponent on their anters? That, but with a GG, and it's still snarling and snapping at them.[/quote]
LORE DUMP!!!

*rips off shirt to reveal undershirt with pictures of GraveGaols on it*
More Lore wrote:
Alright, they’re called Graveyard Gaolers, and they’re basically the Plaguebringer’s attempt to stop necromancers from bringing the dead back. They’re based off Graveyard Guardians, and they’re basically medium-huge Gaolers with short tails, short faces, and generally bear-like proportions. Double XXY Black or Obsidian GGs are called Grims or Black Bears and long-tailed GGs are called Callistos. The color range I’m thinking for them is Coal-Eldritch Primaries and Secondaries, and their Tertiary color range is Maize-White. I’m thinking of expanding their secondary range to certain shades of brown or orange to get an autumny range, or even black-range primary and secondaries + brown-orange Stained to better match the familiar.

For now, their acceptable tertiaries are Shardflank, Scorpion, and Ghost for white range tertiaries. I’m still working on what Primaries and Secondaries should be allowed, but so far I’ve got Basic/Basic, Phantom/Spirit, Falcon/Peregrine, Shaggy/Streak, Tapir/Striation, and Wasp/Bee.

They mostly guard graveyards, mortuaries, ossuaries, crypts, morgues, ruins, sites of historical battlefields to prevent any necromantic shenanigans. They are mostly solitary or live in family groups (often one family will guard a cemetery for generations), but are highly sought after for Plague’s Exalt Services for their dutiful personalities, loyalty, and strength, as well as the fact that many GGs are administrative geniuses, despite most of the subspecies being semiliterate.

They are most common in Plague, Earth, Light, and Shadow, but can be found anywhere with an undead problem. More than a few have died tragic deaths trying to take down Luminax. . Many GGs are loyal to their family and graveyard first, then the Plaguebringer, then the Flight they were raised in, causing conflicts.

In addition, there are two schools of GG thought.
1. Undead are unpleasant at best, but non-malicious undead should be contained, not killed.
2. Undead are a blight on the earth and should all be culled.
Combine this with many GGs’ penchant for arguing, and you have a very interesting yearly meeting at the Hellwell Undercroft. There’s a yearly GG convention where they talk shop and discuss tactics and Plagueling theology.

In lore, many GGs have a white V-shaped chest marking.
They also commonly wear armor (spiked collars are a favorite) to protect against undead bites while working. They would totally wear Spikescarves if they could.
Even More Lore wrote:
Something else GGs like in addition to spiky collars: pelts (especially bear pelts), bones, etc. is lanterns! They make useful soul containers and look pretty, and GGs sometime wear one around their neck. They also like bells, and many wear bells braided into their fur, on their spiked collars, or on their antlers. It is believed that bells and lanterns can either contain the spirits of the dead to prevent them from reentering their bodies, or banish evil spirits and the undead.

Also, if all else fails, GGs can digest rotting flesh or even bone. Most of their meat content comes from scavenging. If you can’t beat ‘em, eat ‘em.
Even More More Lore wrote:
Also I have two GraveGaol ideas:
1. They can be bribed with honey (they are bears after all).
2. There are apostate GraveGaols who choose to reject hunting the undead.
@/Strangeflesh suggested that they make corpse puns. So now they are known for morbidly goofy one-liners, as well as beary punny death-and-bear related puns.
Corpse Capers wrote:
Also, GraveGaols will sometimes engage in graverobbing themselves if they feel a tomb is threatened by necromancers. A GraveGaol was actually arrested by the Dragonhome Preservation Guild for eating the contents of a canopic jar and part of a mummy so they couldn’t be used in a ritual.
Eye lore and bullying wrote:
I’m not sure yet, but Primals often get punted to higher echelons and spiritual/leadership roles because it’s believed they have a special connection to Plaguemom and she likes them.

Also, especially hungry, self-important, or unscrupulous GraveGaols will sometimes bully other dragons off of their kills and eat it in front of them because they believe their divine mission is so important they are entitled to the food needed to complete it. They’ll also confiscate unburied corpses if they believe there’s a high risk of necromancer activity. Can make planning funerals in the Scarred Wasteland a little dicey.
The Plaguebringer only tolerates this because she thinks the chaos and outrage is hilarious.

GraveGaols can also sometimes be pallbearers/mourners/priests presiding over the funerals of important dragons in the Scarred Wasteland and other areas.
Characterization wrote:
Most of them are normal, mostly-good dragons, and the species is known for being just and polite in general-it’s just that some individuals take the whole DIVINE WILL OF THE PLAGUEMOTHER, HER CRUSHING CLAW, TO CULL AND CONTAIN ALL UNDEAD thing too far, to the point of forgetting other dragons are people too. My general rule is that when GGs are jerks, it’s always well intentioned, and they’re at least a little bit funny about it.
Nibbles wrote:
Also, deer will nibble on bones and even eat small mammals and baby birds if they're low on calcium. It's not out of the question GGs would do that too. A good portion of a GGs' diet, in addition to meat from carrion and hunting, is roots, tubers, and other plant material that grows in their graveyards or around it.
Sharp and Glorious Thorns wrote:
Also, I’ve decide GGs with Shardflank, Gnarlhorns, or Scorpion will sometimes impale smaller undead on their spines like shrikes do, for transport back to the graveyard. Is it practical? No. Is it heavy metal? Yes.
Bear-Shrikes wrote:
Imagine a huge GG with Shardflank + spiked armor, collar, and tail guard…and they’re just covered in writhing undead corpses. They’re getting bitten or nipped but they don’t even show it.
Stuck Together wrote:
You know how fighting deer will sometimes end up carrying the decapitated head of a dead opponent on their anters? That, but with a GG, and it's still snarling and snapping at them.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
For their range, I'm thinking Coal-Eldritch, Coal-Eldritch, and Maize-Moon for the tertiary. Acceptable terts shall be Shardflank, Ghost, and Scorpion. If I do decide to make variants, the Bruin variant shall have Coal-Eldritch Primary, and possibly Dirt-Umber or Rust options for Secondary and Tertiary. Or they could have the regular old Maize-Moon for their terts. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=9&bodygene=39&breed=17&element=2&eyetype=8&gender=0&tert=106&tertgene=31&winggene=39&wings=106&auth=17d0ded6631cc94650bdcab4b7d45382c3a1979f&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Upon further consideration, I have decided to allow Clown, Eyespots, Mosaic, Breakup, Bar, and Possibly Daub and Crystal for this subspecies because those genes SLAP. Thanks to @/Strangeflesh, Gnarlhorns are absolutely allowed now!
For their range, I'm thinking Coal-Eldritch, Coal-Eldritch, and Maize-Moon for the tertiary. Acceptable terts shall be Shardflank, Ghost, and Scorpion.

If I do decide to make variants, the Bruin variant shall have Coal-Eldritch Primary, and possibly Dirt-Umber or Rust options for Secondary and Tertiary. Or they could have the regular old Maize-Moon for their terts.

dragon?age=1&body=9&bodygene=39&breed=17&element=2&eyetype=8&gender=0&tert=106&tertgene=31&winggene=39&wings=106&auth=17d0ded6631cc94650bdcab4b7d45382c3a1979f&dummyext=prev.png

Upon further consideration, I have decided to allow Clown, Eyespots, Mosaic, Breakup, Bar, and Possibly Daub and Crystal for this subspecies because those genes SLAP.

Thanks to @/Strangeflesh, Gnarlhorns are absolutely allowed now!
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
Common Roles and careers:

Administrator, Preacher, Scholar, Soldier, Groundskeeper, Custodian, Seeker, Tracker, Coroner, Mortician, Gravedigger, Forensic Scientist, Sanitation, Guide, Architect, Knacker, Executioner, Death Doula, Funeral Director, Guard, Mercenary (uncommon, but dragons have done it), Security, Conservationist (many graveyards are havens for wildlife), Beekeeper, Brewster, Taxidermist, Stonemason, Coffin maker, etc.

To Be Expanded.
Common Roles and careers:

Administrator, Preacher, Scholar, Soldier, Groundskeeper, Custodian, Seeker, Tracker, Coroner, Mortician, Gravedigger, Forensic Scientist, Sanitation, Guide, Architect, Knacker, Executioner, Death Doula, Funeral Director, Guard, Mercenary (uncommon, but dragons have done it), Security, Conservationist (many graveyards are havens for wildlife), Beekeeper, Brewster, Taxidermist, Stonemason, Coffin maker, etc.

To Be Expanded.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
Informal Registry: [b]Graveyard Gaolers Classic[/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60677615][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/606777/60677615_350.png[/img][/url] [b]Churchyard Grims[/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60197319][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/601974/60197319_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/53638208][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/536383/53638208_350.png[/img][/url] [b]Bruins[/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66489148][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/664892/66489148_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66991929][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/669920/66991929_350.png[/img][/url] (If you want to make a dragon for this subspecies, because there's currently 2 1/2 extant examples of this species, I say go ahead.)
Informal Registry:

Graveyard Gaolers Classic
60677615_350.png
Churchyard Grims
60197319_350.png
53638208_350.png
Bruins
66489148_350.png
66991929_350.png

(If you want to make a dragon for this subspecies, because there's currently 2 1/2 extant examples of this species, I say go ahead.)
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
Factions + Political Structure (WIP) [quote=Faction: Bruins of the Ruins]I have an idea for a regional association of GGs in Light and Earth called "Bruins of the Ruins". Very fancy, they are, and they're very respected because they live in a high undead activity area. They're not horrible people (most of them are good or neutral), and most of their job is trying to keep people out of burial mounds and stop Emperor-raising ceremonies. They're mostly very chill when no one is trying any necroshenanigans, and they wear lots of gold jewelry. That isn't to say there aren't evil or lawful stupid members of the order, or those that are greedy-it's just that they're the exception, not the rule. They do a lot of charity galas, and are actually well-respected in their communities because they provide low-cost funeral services and will claim unclaimed bodies and give them a proper burial. They've been getting A LOT of business since Luminax showed up. [/quote] The Graveyard Gaolers are descended from Seekers who left the Southern Icefield to hunt the Shade and never returned. Most Graveyard Gaolers are descended from modern Seekers, but [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60677615]Khachkar[/url], the species' founder, claims she can trace her ancestry back to a historical Seeker (in lore, anyways). Seekers hunt both undead and necromancers. They may specialize in one or the other, or pursue both. This can bring them into conflict with clans and Flights (Earth, mostly) that tolerate the undead or necromancy, because depending on how the Seeker(s) inteprets doctrine and the tactics they use, what may be "Purging the Corruption" or "Containment" may look a lot like "murder", "desecration of a corpse", and "kidnapping" to everyone else. The Graveyard Gaolers have been sending less and less dragons to the Southern Icefields to serve as Overseers over time-their loyalties lean stronger and stronger towards the Plaguebringer. Many other Gaolers regard them as shirking or abandoning their duties.
Factions + Political Structure (WIP)
Faction: Bruins of the Ruins wrote:
I have an idea for a regional association of GGs in Light and Earth called "Bruins of the Ruins". Very fancy, they are, and they're very respected because they live in a high undead activity area.

They're not horrible people (most of them are good or neutral), and most of their job is trying to keep people out of burial mounds and stop Emperor-raising ceremonies. They're mostly very chill when no one is trying any necroshenanigans, and they wear lots of gold jewelry. That isn't to say there aren't evil or lawful stupid members of the order, or those that are greedy-it's just that they're the exception, not the rule.

They do a lot of charity galas, and are actually well-respected in their communities because they provide low-cost funeral services and will claim unclaimed bodies and give them a proper burial. They've been getting A LOT of business since Luminax showed up.

The Graveyard Gaolers are descended from Seekers who left the Southern Icefield to hunt the Shade and never returned. Most Graveyard Gaolers are descended from modern Seekers, but Khachkar, the species' founder, claims she can trace her ancestry back to a historical Seeker (in lore, anyways).

Seekers hunt both undead and necromancers. They may specialize in one or the other, or pursue both. This can bring them into conflict with clans and Flights (Earth, mostly) that tolerate the undead or necromancy, because depending on how the Seeker(s) inteprets doctrine and the tactics they use, what may be "Purging the Corruption" or "Containment" may look a lot like "murder", "desecration of a corpse", and "kidnapping" to everyone else.

The Graveyard Gaolers have been sending less and less dragons to the Southern Icefields to serve as Overseers over time-their loyalties lean stronger and stronger towards the Plaguebringer. Many other Gaolers regard them as shirking or abandoning their duties.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7b/Moon_bear.jpg/1200px-Moon_bear.jpg[/img] [img]https://s.hdnux.com/photos/66/33/14/14267165/4/rawImage.png[/img] I’ve decided they sit like this and contemplate the scenery a lot. Imagine walking through a graveyard and you see a huge Gaoler sitting like this. They also root around in garbage dumps sometimes.
1200px-Moon_bear.jpg

rawImage.png
I’ve decided they sit like this and contemplate the scenery a lot. Imagine walking through a graveyard and you see a huge Gaoler sitting like this.

They also root around in garbage dumps sometimes.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
I'm especially looking for help for political structure, traditions, factions, and which genes/colors to pick. Should I have a wide variety of colors or should I try to keep the look as close as possible to the original [item=Graveyard Guardian]. I would also like suggestions on which familiars they might like. I'm thinking "Undead can be contained" GGs might have undead or reanimated familiars so they can supervise them, but non-Containment Gaolers are harder to find familiars for.
I'm especially looking for help for political structure, traditions, factions, and which genes/colors to pick. Should I have a wide variety of colors or should I try to keep the look as close as possible to the original Graveyard Guardian .

I would also like suggestions on which familiars they might like. I'm thinking "Undead can be contained" GGs might have undead or reanimated familiars so they can supervise them, but non-Containment Gaolers are harder to find familiars for.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
1 2